PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Cosmic Carbone decal question...

SoCalSteve
05-06-2007, 01:34 AM
Hi all,

Just curious if anyone has ever taken the bright yellow decals off of the carbon side wall on the Carbones? Is it easy, difficult, should never be done???

And, I have seen on ebay that people sell the set of the decals in white. Are they easy to install?...Is this something that goes directly over the yellow ones? Or..see above...

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

nick0137
05-06-2007, 03:19 AM
Easy to do in an hour. Just try to get em off in one piece. And once they're off you'll not want to replace them with white ones. Stealth is cool (whether here or t'other place).....

BdaGhisallo
05-06-2007, 04:35 AM
An hour! Naaahhh!

Take a hair dryer and set it on high and bathe the decals in the hot air. After a few seconds of that you can pick at the edge and once you get a hold, you should be able to peel the whole decal off, keeping the hot air on the peeling edge. Once the decal off, use your favourite solvent or Goof Off to get the remaining adhesive off the rim. Total time about 10 minutes.

oldguy00
05-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Or fill in the yellow with black marker... :)

SoCalSteve
05-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Or fill in the yellow with black marker... :)

That makes the most sense of all the suggestions.

Thanks!

Steve

TAW
05-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Steve,

What are you putting them on? I just bought some Carbones, and the highlights of my Ti frame are yellow, and so the decals match. I used to have Look frame that was black matte with white decals, and I saw the replacement decals in white and wondered what they would look like. I didn't think the stealth wheels (sans decals) would look good on the black matte frame. I took some decals off of some other wheels, and had some problems even with solvent getting all the adhesive off.

SoCalSteve
05-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Steve,

What are you putting them on? I just bought some Carbones, and the highlights of my Ti frame are yellow, and so the decals match. I used to have Look frame that was black matte with white decals, and I saw the replacement decals in white and wondered what they would look like. I didn't think the stealth wheels (sans decals) would look good on the black matte frame. I took some decals off of some other wheels, and had some problems even with solvent getting all the adhesive off.

At this point, it seems to be a non-issue as the deal fell through (or he sold them to someone else).

I was going to put them on my Time VX Special Pro, which is red, white and nude carbon...The yellow would not have worked...

Thanks one and all for the suggestions. I think I will stick to hand builts (no garish yellow decals to worry about).

Steve

Climb01742
05-07-2007, 05:24 AM
how do folks like the ride of cosmics (the model with alu rim/carbon fairing)?

TAW
05-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Climb,

I just bought a used set and have been using them for TT. I really like them for flat/rolling hill type courses. They feel a little sluggish on steeper stuff, but they keep speed very nicely. As far as ride quality, they feel about as good as any pre-built wheel. I also have a set of Ksyriums and they ride comparably, the Carbones being a little stiffer. I don't have a lot of miles on them, but what I have experienced so far has been positive.