PDA

View Full Version : Stem Length vs. Drop

mso
06-09-2004, 10:02 AM
I'm attempting to flatten my back out a little and become slightly more aero. Does removing a spacer, thus lowering the handlebars and creating a larger drop achieve the same results as going to a longer stem?
Ex: Removing 1Cm of spacers or
going from a 100 stem to a 110

Serotta PETE
06-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Some very good questions. The below is just my opinion and has worked for me over past years...

- Lowering your bars does get you lower and might or might not make your back flatter. (I personally have not had luck with this. In fact, Cyclesport raised my bar position to make my back flatter)

- Longer stem will stretch you some and probably flatten your back, if everything elso fits.

A good position on the bike is all important, but how to attain this varies.

This is based on your flexibility, seat position, seat & bar height. whether TT is flat or somewhat sloped, stem rise, etc....

How long have you been riding, what type and length of ride do you do, and what hurts in your current position are the key inputs into what you need to consider for changing position.

Get someone or a shop to review your position and concerns. If you are worried about being more aero, it should be less important than finding a comfortable and efficient position. Aero is good for time trial but not much for long non race rides. Also ask yourself how much of your ride is being spent with hands on drops (aero) verses on top of bars or resting on levers. (non aero).

For me, aero is sucking Smiley's, Flydhest, Spokes, or Sandy's rear wheel . (Will be doing plenty of that at the OPEN HOUSE this weekend.)

PETE

tch
06-10-2004, 08:57 PM
going longer rather than lower did the trick. I felt "bunched up" on my bike lately, but still didn't feel comfortable getting into the drops. I lengthened my stem and actually raised the bars a bit (a result of the new stem being more angled) and have immediately noticed that I am flatter, more "aero" and more comfortable. I am also riding in the drops more. Everything feels better.

csb
06-10-2004, 09:23 PM
tch

try climbing now...
some whobody tried getting me to raise and lengthen
my stem, didnt last long, as soon as i climbed a good
hill i new it wasnt to be.

va rider
06-10-2004, 09:43 PM
be careful not to flip when climbing....

Smiley
06-10-2004, 09:52 PM
its really a factor of BOTH . First if your elbows are locked out while on the hoods DON'T lenghten the stem and certainly lowering the set up via a spacer could be a problem too. As you lower the stem you lengthen the reach too . I like to look at the neck mucels cause some riders compensate for a lower set up by bending the neck rather than having the core strength in the back to bend and make for a flat back. So if you do lots of streatching and excersise to strengthen your back and eventually you maybe able to get flatter then your currently riding. Its no biggie as too much emphasis is placed on looking like a pro in my opinion and that may nott be practical for most recreational riders such as myself and others .

Needs Help
06-11-2004, 02:25 AM
Does removing a spacer, thus lowering the handlebars and creating a larger drop achieve the same results as going to a longer stem?

Yes, it's the same--if your bike is set up like this:
http://www.pbase.com/image/30015978.jpg
@ patent pending
:confused:

Climb01742
06-11-2004, 05:00 AM
another thing to consider is...your back. some folks have a naturally more flat back. others not. i'm pretty flexible (after working hard on it) but my back will never be flat on the bike. look at lance. so maybe a flat back is the byproduct (for some riders) of a good position. but for others, a good position won't mean or result in a flat back. my two cents is, aim for a good, strong, comfortable position...if that flattens your back, cool...if not, cool too. am i making any sense?