PDA

View Full Version : Man, I could just plotz!

Kevan
06-09-2004, 08:38 AM
This weekend there will be 80 or so of us riding up from NY, starting just north of Westchester county, on up into Vermont. It seems weather.com has agreed to give us partly sunny skies, with highs in the mid-70’s. It don’t get better than this!

Called the Tour de Wagner, this ride was established some 15 years ago and supports the Special Olympics program in this area. Thursday night we’ll start with a kick-off dinner at this gorgeous home turned restaurant. Jerseys and swag will be given out and old friendships reconfirmed. We all return home and try to sleep with the anticipation of a Christmas morning. Friday morning we’ll be up early driving to our starting point in Paterson. At 9am we’ll be off and going winding out way through the northwest corner of CT, going past towns like Kent and Sharon. By the end of Friday’s ride we’ll have done some 85 miles and pulled into an inn at Lenox Mass. Bikes will be parked, legs and backs will be rubbed and the bar will be opened.

Saturday the riders staying at different inns throughout the town will congregate at the principal location for breakfast and a early morning rollout. I’m guessing arm warmers will be popular. We’ll grind our way up through Pittsfield and take route 7 up into Vermont. We only get into that state by 10-15 miles but I have to say the turn-off of route 7 puts us on one of the sweetest roller coaster rides back into Mass. Lunch will be held in Williamstown (Williams College fame), then we’re off south heading back to Lenox and climbing up over the back side of Brody (skiing) mountain. The ride total falls just short of 100 so some of us go ride into Lenox proper to get the extra 5 miles. There’s more bike parking, leg and back rubbing and bar leaning before dinner is serviced. That night a full banquet is had with all stops pulled. People speak, brag, accuse, and laugh all evening.

Sunday is a bit more relaxed with people opting for either no ride, short ride, or around the block ride. The short ride involves bloody marys and the Red Lion inn in Stockbridge. The round the block involves a 40 mile loop that brings us back to the inn just in time for the lunchtime cookout. Everyone is still having fun, but the air of conclusion is moving in. A bus arrives eventually and drags us back to reality in the afternoon and so concludes the ride.

I can’t wait for the fun to start! :D

Smiley
06-09-2004, 08:42 AM
But you can't beat a good cause like Special Olympics . Karen and her associates at HQ thank you and your fellow riders .

Kevan
06-09-2004, 09:11 AM
my pleasure! :cool:

http://www.bresnantourdewagner.com/

Check out that cover page. There are about 5 Calfees out front. That's a me...looking to my left caught in the morning light of last years ride.

gasman
06-09-2004, 10:43 AM
That Calfees rule !!! :D :D :banana: :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
06-09-2004, 11:11 AM
. . . pardon my ignorance.

What does "I could just plotz" mean?

GentileBBDave

Kevan
06-09-2004, 11:42 AM
but you wouldn't want me on any new carpet that's for sure. :D

dave thompson
06-09-2004, 11:49 AM
. . . pardon my ignorance.

What does "I could just plotz" mean?

GentileBBDave
Plotz is a verb meaning "to faint in surprise or disbelief." There's an element of hysteria in there. If you were a kid if and got straight A's on a report card (never happened) your mother would have plotzed. Like all Yiddish words, it's overdone, with humor. We often feign plotzing, and everyone has a good laugh.

Kevin
06-09-2004, 03:59 PM
my pleasure! :cool:

http://www.bresnantourdewagner.com/

Check out that cover page. There are about 5 Calfees out front. That's a me...looking to my left caught in the morning light of last years ride.

I hate to dissapoint you but the Calfees are not out front. The picture was taken by the Serotta riders, who were able to ride no handed and turn around and take the picture of the Calfee riders, who were struggling to keep up.

Kevin
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

bcm119
06-09-2004, 04:19 PM
That sounds like a great ride. I've ridden many of those roads, especially up around williamstown. And, having grown up in southern Dutchess county, I always wanted to ride up to Vermont through the Taconic/Litchfield hills. Have a great ride, sounds like the weather will be nicer than out here in rainy Oregon.

Kevan
06-13-2004, 05:59 PM
What an incredible weekend! Three days of pure glorious weather. 200 miles of hills and dales that have left my thighs feeling like hamburger meat. I've done this charity ride now for 4 years and this was, without a doubt, the best of the lot.

I'll share more on this subject later, need to give #1 son the keyboard to address his homework.

Let's see... it's almost 7pm and it feels like it could be 11. I can't wait to enjoy my pleasant dreams.

Bet you guys in Serottaville had a blast too!

BumbleBeeDave
06-13-2004, 10:42 PM
. . . But I don’t believe anyone plotzed . . . Though Pete M. And Sandy did fall behind a bit at times. They may have plotzed while we weren’t looking! :eek: :rolleyes:

BBDave

Kevan
06-14-2004, 07:36 AM
spaces are limited for this ride, but if you would like to experience a weekend ride that is near a 5 star event, you might want to contact me directly. Supporting the Special Olympics is the root of this event. Price for admission: $2000 in sponsoring collection. Some people just cut a check. This weekend is for all talent levels. Most of the roads are perfect for riding and well marked. We stay at inns in the town of Lenox, of Tanglewood fame. People from as far away as Chicago join in on this fun. There is only one factor that could possibly disappoint you and that would be the weather. This past weekend, there were no problems.

So if you ever wanted to ride the Berkshires give me a heads-up and I can tell you more...