PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Bar tape question

hybridbellbaske
05-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Now that the cool kids have left I feel safe in revealing a deep dark secret...

I have FSA K-wing handlebars- and what's worse- I like them!

My question is- does anyone who uses these bars wrap them fully? ie so the bar tape goes over the raised section as it would with normal shaped bars?

Any reason why this should'nt happen?

p.s. those who respond should'nt worry about revealing their deep dark secrets either. I think gay bars (not THAT type of gay bars-not that there's anything wrong with that...) ARE OK- if they work for you.

goonster
05-02-2007, 09:45 PM
I saw a fully wrapped set on a brevet last Saturday. It looked a bit weird, imo, but it was far from the weirdest thing I saw that day.

One reason against it might be that it would disrupt that marvelous, wind tunnel-optimized airflow. But if that mattered so much to you, I'd doubt you'd ask.

Ride what you like, and make no excuses. :beer:

mitchel@century
05-02-2007, 09:47 PM
I have the FSA Kwings and I wrap them all the way.
I have Shimano components and route my cables on the outside(underside) of the bar, so it looks and feels better wrapped. I also like the extra cushion.

SoCalSteve
05-02-2007, 10:10 PM
There are no such things as dumb questions...

I've owned them, didnt like them (not that there is anything wrong with it) and wrapped them 1/2 way...Reason being, I liked the "look" of the carbon weave.

No reason for you NOT to wrap tape over the carbon weave though, if your into-not into that sort of thing.

Enjoy it the way you want to enjoy it...as long as it gets you riding, its all good!

Steve

BBB
05-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Hybridbellbaske, I thought the real issue was not whether to wrap the bars all the way, but whether the tape matched the saddle, whose colour has yet to be decided??

93legendti
05-02-2007, 10:36 PM
I have the FSA Wing Compact (or is it Pro Compact?) on 2 bikes and I wrap the bars as fully as a regular set. I think it is a personal chocie issue. I asked the LBS the same question and they said people had been either wrapping fully, or not wrapping the wing section.

medici
05-02-2007, 11:00 PM
I have the FSA K-wings and wrap up to the flat part. I'd been concerned about sweaty hands making the bar tops slippery, but it hasn't happened yet. I really like the bars. Very comfy on the flat bar tops.

But I really like the Rivendell Soba bar, too! Is that crowd still here? Is there another bar I should like?

I actually do have and like the Soba bar. Nice flat ramp behind the shifters.

Pete

shinomaster
05-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Now that the cool kids have left I feel safe in revealing a deep dark secret...

I have FSA K-wing handlebars- and what's worse- I like them!

My question is- does anyone who uses these bars wrap them fully? ie so the bar tape goes over the raised section as it would with normal shaped bars?

Any reason why this should'nt happen?

p.s. those who respond should'nt worry about revealing their deep dark secrets either. I think gay bars (not THAT type of gay bars-not that there's anything wrong with that...) ARE OK- if they work for you.

where did they go? I can't find them here...> http://www.frameforum.com/

hybridbellbaske
05-03-2007, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Goonster- I did'nt know about the aerodynamic "advantages" of the K-wings- at the speed I ride that's generally not of prime concern! My bet is that at any speed, marketing bull is marketing bull...

BBB- I went with the blue Aliante and the blue Fizik bar tape- but that is on the bike with Easton EC 70 bars. I think it looks cool- and that's the main thing after all.

BBB
05-03-2007, 06:17 AM
Very good. Has the other bike received the blue Fizik bar tape?

bostondrunk
05-03-2007, 06:46 AM
I think part of what you pay for with these is the nice looks. Personally I wouldn't wrap them all the way. A buddy of mine has a set, and I think they arereally nice. I didn't go with them because:
1. I'm still a bit nervous when it comes to carbon bars and stems....don't trust them.
2. I like to rotate my bars up a little bit, and this causes the flat top of the FSA bar to be at an uncomfy angle when resting my hands on the tops.

Hi, I'm BD, and I think shallow drop classic deda newtons suck. But they look kewl.

OldDog
05-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Now that the cool kids have left I feel safe in revealing a deep dark secret....

In my mind, I've always been cool. Always will be too... :cool:

Do what you think is cool and screw what other cats think.

OldDog
still riding Cinelli 66's and 64's

Too Tall
05-03-2007, 09:42 AM
A property of carbon bars is that they remain cool to the touch on hot days. I like the feel of bare carbon bar tops and taped for the remainder. My smoke of choice are Zipp B2 and Kestrel both are modeled after the prima bend...in theory.

zap
05-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I tape Zipp B2 bars up to the last curve before the top. I then use clear tape in one spot on the bar top to keep the campy cables in place.

I originally did this on my Klein and just recently on our tandem.

Ozz
05-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Deda Elementi Handle Bar Tape - Glass (http://cgi.ebay.com/Deda-Elementi-Handle-Bar-Tape-Glass-Clear_W0QQitemZ270111231437QQihZ017QQcategoryZ4231 9QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem)

"You are buying a complete box of Deda handle bar tape. Color of the tape is glass which is clear. This is the tape to use if you have a carbon bar and would like to show the carbon weave. Very cool and sorry a bit expensive but so was your carbon handlebar."

No relation to seller....I just thought the description was funny.... ;)

steve575
05-03-2007, 10:27 AM
I too like my k-wings, but I don't wrap the flats. I like the look of the aero flats. I've never had trouble with my hands slipping. In fact I like the feel of the wide bare carbon.

sc53
05-03-2007, 01:38 PM
I have the Stella Azzurra "gay bars" on my Ottrott and don't wrap the flat section because (1) I like the feel of the finger indents on the underside of the flat section and the bar tape obliterates them; (2) I like the pretty blue/white Stella Azzurra logo on the flat section; and (3) I think the partial wrap job looks better!