PDA

View Full Version : A little dog with a whole lot of pluck...

Kevan
05-02-2007, 02:05 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/05/02/hero.dog.ap/index.html

Skrawny
05-02-2007, 04:18 PM
I always cheer for the underdog!
-s

Sandy
05-02-2007, 04:48 PM
A wonderful little story that saddens me. It is not at all surprising that a Jack Russell Terrier would do that. It is a really remarkable little breed. They simply don't fear larger dogs, pits included. I have seen (and smiled at) many of them at the local shelter, as I have walked pits or dobermans (or whatever) past their cages, just to see the little Jack Russell acting very aggressively to the larger dog, as if he or she wanted to fight them.

It is really outrageous that 2 (or one) pit bulls are allowed to run loose, especially ones that are agggessive in nature. So now George is dead, the two pits will probably be put down, and the irresponsible owner probably won't even be properly punished, if punished at all. Three dead dogs and the owner of the dogs may very likely go out and get a couple more. It actually saddens and disgusts me.

I like pits and spend a great deal of time with them at the shelter. But they were bred to fight, and often are very aggressive to other animals, including both dogs and cats. Pits are normally very loyal and even affectionate to people. Many great owners, but undoutedly many poor irresponsible and horrendous owners, owning them for the wrong reasons, breeding them indiscriminately at best, and treating them horribly. Pits are undoubtedly the worst treated dogs of today. Watch Animal planet on TV and you will see how bad it really is.

Nice story about a dog and kids, but pathetic. Possibly 3 dead dogs, and it all could have been prevented. Responsible pet "ownership" was all that was needed.

Sandy

Louis
05-02-2007, 04:51 PM
People complain about aggressive and "bad" animals, but IMO humans are the worst offenders in that category.

Sandy
05-02-2007, 05:00 PM
People complain about aggressive and "bad" animals, but IMO humans are the worst offenders in that category.

I agree with your thoughts.

I find that most dogs are really not aggressive at all. A really "bad and aggressive dog" does exist. But even in those cases, the dog often evolved into that "bad and aggressive" state as a function oh how it was raised and treated (breeding also has its influence).

Dogs are masters at reading other dogs and human body language. They normally very clearly communicate their intent. They are direct and open and let you know what they are going to do before they do it. A lot of "aggressive and bad" people are much less direct, purposely don't communicate their intentions, and then they attack.....

Power to the Animals,

Sandy

chuckroast
05-02-2007, 07:43 PM
It's really unfortunate the baggage that pits carry due to their irresponsible owners. Both of our rescue mutts have a lot of pit in them and they are as sweet and loving as any dog I've owned. They bark at strangers (what dog doesn't) but have never shown any aggression.

onekgguy
05-02-2007, 09:01 PM
That was such a sad story.

I was at the dog park tonight with my two little guys...Toby and Allie. It's a huge park with lots of well behaved dogs and friendly owners. I like watching the dogs interract with one another...chasing and running free. They all seem to have smiles on their faces.

We just began going to the park a couple weeks ago when I stumbled upon it during a ride. I'd heard that the park existed but I wasn't sure where until I took a road I hadn't traveled before.

I wasn't sure what to think at first because Allie can be aggressive toward other dogs and that's a no no at the park. Our first time there was during a weekday morning when there were very few others around. I took Allie off the leash and her whole demeanor changed. She was no longer aggressive or yippy. When she's attached to me via the leash or in my lap she's a tough little one but when she's on her own it's a different story. Toby is just a mellow fellow all the time. He doesn't ever hassle anybody and just want's to get along.

I met a couple on tonight's walk and they had their Pug on a leash...he was a yippy little guy. I told them about my experience with Allie and they decided to try going without the leash too. A little while later I saw him romping around with other dogs and he appeared to be enjoying himself much more being off the leash. I was glad for the opportunity to talk with them.

Here's a video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=1HAOhcyzTrQ) I took at the dog park a couple weeks ago.

Kevin g

Sandy
05-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Nice video. I enjoyed that.

Interesting difference in Allie's demeanor on leash and off leash. One factor that you might not consider too much which might influence her on leash behavior is that you are attached to her by the leash. You (any person with a dog on a leash) communicate to her verbally and by leash movements probably more than you really realize, sometimes reinforcing unwanted behavior without even realizing that you are doing it.If she comes upon another dog and seems a little too aggressive, you might pull on the leash and verbally scold her, which probably isn't very productive, and might even reinforce her aggressive behavior, as you seem to be reacting to it yourself. What you might want to do is to try to make the act of her coming close to another dog to be a fun thing, possibly deserving of a biscuit if she demonstrates non-aggressive behavior. Reward positive behavior and don't punish unwanted behavior. Try to get Allie to exhibit the wanted behavior, so that eventually it will replace the unwanted one. When Allie was with the other dogs, she(?) was not as much under your influence and control. Dogs normally sort things out on their own when interacting with other dogs. That is certainly not always the case, however. Sometimes if left alone, you might find a dead or severely injured dog. It requires real judgemen on your part.

Please understand that my comments are from someone who doesn't own a dog, never really trained a dog, and very possibly may have no clue as to what he is saying.

Bow Wow Sandy

Sandy
05-02-2007, 09:54 PM
It's really unfortunate the baggage that pits carry due to their irresponsible owners. Both of our rescue mutts have a lot of pit in them and they are as sweet and loving as any dog I've owned. They bark at strangers (what dog doesn't) but have never shown any aggression.

Pits and pit mixes are often very affectionate and sweet. If I were to walk dogs at the shelter tomorrow, undoutedly pits and pit mixes would be some of the most affectionate dogs that I would encounter. There is a real variability in the aggressive nature of pits, especially to other dogs (or cats). Some interact with them exceedingly well. In some cases, the aggession can be swift, overwhelming, and scarey.

Sandy

morty
05-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Sandy, from reading your posts, I think you're a pretty insightful and compassionate fellow who knows his dogs.

Pit Bulls are extremely loyal in nature and will do anything to please their masters. Unfortunately, this "attribute," combined with their extraordinary strength and fearlessness, makes them desirable to all sorts of unsavory types looking for a macho accessory or, worse, gory entertainment for pleasure/profit.

It makes me sad to think that poor Jack Russell gave up his life trying to protect those kids. Maybe the pit owners could be euthanized too...

onekgguy
05-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Please understand that my comments are from someone who doesn't own a dog, never really trained a dog, and very possibly may have no clue as to what he is saying.

Bow Wow Sandy

Sandy,

I agree with you. I've watched a show on A&E I think...the Dog Whisperer with Caesar Milano and he believes as you do...me too. I've got his book so I should get it out and see how it is I'm supposed to react when Allie gets aggressive while on the leash. It's odd though because when I walk both Toby and Allie together in the neighborhood they're both on the same double leash and Toby is the total opposite from Allie when approaching another dog. Allie is the one who watches by the back sliding door for squirrels, rabbits and other dogs to walk by. Toby couldn't care less. I'm thankful that she's much more docile while off the leash...I'll work on the other part. :)

Kevin g

Kevin
05-03-2007, 05:45 AM
After the vet put down the terrier, she should have put down the owners of the pit bulls.

Kevin

Sandy
05-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Sandy, from reading your posts, I think you're a pretty insightful and compassionate fellow who knows his dogs.

Pit Bulls are extremely loyal in nature and will do anything to please their masters. Unfortunately, this "attribute," combined with their extraordinary strength and fearlessness, makes them desirable to all sorts of unsavory types looking for a macho accessory or, worse, gory entertainment for pleasure/profit.

It makes me sad to think that poor Jack Russell gave up his life trying to protect those kids. Maybe the pit owners could be euthanized too...

Yep, unfortunately pits are ideal for being used in dog fighting- breeding, tenacity, loyalty, athleticism, jaw strength, muscle mass, bone structure, tolerance to pain,....It is all there, unfortunately.

Sandy

Kevan
05-03-2007, 07:40 AM
People really have to consider the potential problems with big, powerful or agressive natured dogs. German Shepherds are near the top for smarts, but they pack a lot of power and an arsenal of teeth that can do real damage. A miniture poodle too is extremely smart but the power behind his bite can't be compared to that of a Shepherd's. If you acquire a big animal you have to realize that everything it does is big too. Considering the negatives, it eats big, poops big and potentially attacks big.

Just this morning, riding into work, I ran across that slight woman again walking her Rott. I was glad to see the dog was wearing a muzzle, but his jumping and straining on his lead made me uneasy when the dog looks to be stronger than his owner. Not a very good pairing if you ask me.

Yes, it was a sad story about that little terrier. By the way...JR's aren't necessarily the friendliest breed either and can be short-tempered with kids.

Sandy
05-03-2007, 08:05 AM
People really have to consider the potential problems with big, powerful or agressive natured dogs. German Shepherds are near the top for smarts, but they pack a lot of power and an arsenal of teeth that can do real damage. A miniture poodle too is extremely smart but the power behind his bite can't be compared to that of a Shepherd's. If you acquire a big animal you have to realize that everything it does is big too. Considering the negatives, it eats big, poops big and potentially attacks big.

Just this morning, riding into work, I ran across that slight woman again walking her Rott. I was glad to see the dog was wearing a muzzle, but his jumping and straining on his lead made me uneasy when the dog looks to be stronger than his owner. Not a very good pairing if you ask me.

Yes, it was a sad story about that little terrier. By the way...JR's aren't necessarily the friendliest breed either and can be short-tempered with kids.

I am sure that many remember the horrendous dog attack in 2001 in San Fancisco in which a 33 year old woman, Diane Whipple, was attacked and killed by 2 Presa Canario dogs in the hallway of her apartment. The dog most responsible for the attack weighed 120 pounds. The female owner (two actually owned the dogs, I believe), who was there during the attack, had no control over the dogs, and could do nothing to save Miss Whipple. The female owner of the dog was convicted of 4 counts, including 2nd degree murder (later overturned) and served 33 months in jail (of a 4 year term) and was released on probation. So here was a woman who had 2 dogs, each of which weighed well over 100 pounds, and which showed aggressive tendencies in the past. She was unable to contol her own dogs, and a lovely young woman got mauled and killed because of it.

After the killing, the Presa Canario breed became more popular. I have seen and walked many dogs at the local shelter. I would feel comfortable in walking most all of the dogs at the shelter on most any given day. A presa canario dog is rarely seen at the shelter. A while back, there was one at the shelter. I would probably not have walked that dog, if given the opportunity (not allowed to be walked), as the dog's demeanor certainly made me wary. I would have needed to develop more confidence in his potential actions. I wondered how he had been raised and treated. He appeared not to be a very trusting dog.

I trust Kevan as he normally barks twice before he bites.

Sandy

Skrawny
05-03-2007, 11:08 AM
I finally managed to get out on my bike for a very brief spin.

I felt just like those dogs at the dog park.

I'm sure if you looked closely you would have seen my tongue lolling out...

-s

Tailwinds
05-03-2007, 11:10 AM
I finally managed to get out on my bike for a very brief spin.

Hooray!! :banana: :)