PDA

View Full Version : Have trouble getting tires on Campy Eurus wheels?

mitchel@century
05-01-2007, 08:09 PM
I've dreaded getting flats with my Campy Eurus wheels because it took me half an hour and 2 tubes to finally get some new rubber mounted on those rims (Continental GP4000 tires). The rims are unbelievably tight. What if I flat? Yikes?
Has anybody else had difficulty putting new tires on those Campy Eurus wheels? Is there a secret to making it easier?

Jeff Weir
05-01-2007, 08:25 PM
The best solution I have found is to mount the tires on another set of rims/wheels, pumped up, and let them stretch for a week or two. At that point, they'll go on easily.

Others have suggested the VAR tire levers, but I've had no luck with them.

mflaherty37
05-01-2007, 08:33 PM
I have good luck with a tire jack.

fiamme red
05-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Try Vittorias or Vredesteins. They fit somewhat looser than Continentals or Michelins.

SamIAm
05-01-2007, 08:49 PM
I've dreaded getting flats with my Campy Eurus wheels because it took me half an hour and 2 tubes to finally get some new rubber mounted on those rims (Continental GP4000 tires). The rims are unbelievably tight. What if I flat? Yikes?
Has anybody else had difficulty putting new tires on those Campy Eurus wheels? Is there a secret to making it easier?

Wow, that's not my experience at all. I have had no problems with either the conti's or deda tre's. On the other hand I have some customs with cadence aero rims which are a pain in the $ss.

Steve Hampsten
05-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Here's the answer to the problem, kids:

Rox rim strips. They're thinner than the stuff Campy provides and they'll make all your problems go away. Or your money back. It's not the sidewall, imho, it's the bead seat diameter becoming too large due to the stupid rim strip.

I have a stash right here if you're in the area.

93LegendTG
05-01-2007, 08:54 PM
I second the Vredesteins; I run them on my Zondas. I've had quite a few Campy rims and wheels over the years and have learned from experience that Conti tires are just too tight for Campy rims.

steelrider
05-01-2007, 09:42 PM
I second the Vredesteins; I run them on my Zondas. I've had quite a few Campy rims and wheels over the years and have learned from experience that Conti tires are just too tight for Campy rims.

Word. I previously used Michelins on my Neutrons. I was cussin' like a sailor trying to put those bad-boys on. Go with Vredesteins.

bshell
05-01-2007, 11:38 PM
+1 different rim strips.

I am not familiar w/the one's Steve mentioned but I was going N-U-T-S trying to get my Fortezza's onto my Neutrons by hand. That's my thing, I have to be able to do it by hand. Tire levers can break or fall out of pockets, etc. I never forget my hands.

I clipped the green plastic Campy rim strips and laid down packing tape over the holes. The amount of room I freed up was unbelievable. Tire removal/installation is now effortless. The Campy strips rode higher up inside the rim because of their width, stiffness, thickness, and lack of adhesive.

Get a narrow roll of the packing tape with the strengthening strands that run the length of the roll. Cheap. Roomy. Hurray.

dave thompson
05-01-2007, 11:57 PM
The narrow Velox rim tape works well too.

vaxn8r
05-02-2007, 12:24 AM
+1 different rim strips.

I am not familiar w/the one's Steve mentioned but I was going N-U-T-S trying to get my Fortezza's onto my Neutrons by hand. That's my thing, I have to be able to do it by hand. Tire levers can break or fall out of pockets, etc. I never forget my hands.

I clipped the green plastic Campy rim strips and laid down packing tape over the holes. The amount of room I freed up was unbelievable. Tire removal/installation is now effortless. The Campy strips rode higher up inside the rim because of their width, stiffness, thickness, and lack of adhesive.

Get a narrow roll of the packing tape with the strengthening strands that run the length of the roll. Cheap. Roomy. Hurray.
Did you encircle the rim or just cover individual spoke holes?

chuckred
05-02-2007, 01:03 AM
Try Vittorias or Vredesteins. They fit somewhat looser than Continentals or Michelins.

Boy, I don't know - my Conti 4000's slip on to my Velocity Aeroheads so easy that it scares me! I mean virtually no effort at all.

Are Velocity rims known for being slightly undersized?

jimcav
05-02-2007, 01:12 AM
no issues getting tires on or off, although getting my specialized mondo off was harder than conti GP300 or 4 season.
i'll be switching to GP4000 as things wear out so then i'll see...
but before this i used axial pro no problems there

bshell
05-02-2007, 01:51 AM
vax-

I encircled the rim.

I was already worried that the tape might shift around under riding conditions because I have seen that before with velox cloth tape. The tape is SO thin and light that I considered 2 wraps just to be safe but then I decided I would ride it with one wrap for a couple of months and then check for any migration away from the holes (or until it failed, whichever came first).

It's been @ 400 miles so far.

mitchel@century
05-02-2007, 10:20 AM
I talked to my friend who owns a set of these Campy Eurus wheels and he suggested that I try rubbing some diluted dish detergent on the rim to lube it and facilitate getting new rubber on.
He also suggested, like Jeff Weir, putting the new rubber on another set of wheels (like my Open Pros), inflating the tires to max pressure, and letting them stretch out for couple of weeks before trying to mount them on the Eurus wheels.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.
I'm definitely going back to the Vredesteins or Vittorias.

MarcusPless
05-02-2007, 10:41 AM
SOMA Fabrications sells steel core tire levers (http://www.somafab.com/tirelevers.html) that would be pretty tough to break if you limit their use to bicycle tires. I carry two in every seat bag, just in case. Remember, the impossible to remove tire you find yourself facing might not be your own. ;)

--Marcus

mitchel@century
05-02-2007, 11:45 AM
SOMA Fabrications sells steel core tire levers (http://www.somafab.com/tirelevers.html) that would be pretty tough to break if you limit their use to bicycle tires. I carry two in every seat bag, just in case. Remember, the impossible to remove tire you find yourself facing might not be your own. ;)

I'd buy a pair, but they won't sell them to me. They're only $5.99 (OK deal) but their minimum order is $40. Oh well......

LegendRider
05-02-2007, 11:50 AM
I've had good luck with the super-thin Zipp rim strips. Check Excel.

MarcusPless
05-02-2007, 11:51 AM
I'd buy a pair, but they won't sell them to me. They're only $5.99 (OK deal) but their minimum order is $40. Oh well......

Wow! That's really a drag. I've ordered from them a couple of times in the past and there wasn't a large minimum order.

--Marcus

Sandy
05-02-2007, 11:58 AM
The best solution I have found is to mount the tires on another set of rims/wheels, pumped up, and let them stretch for a week or two. At that point, they'll go on easily.

Cool, clever suggestion. Really! Did Kevan suggest it to you? :)

Sandy

Sandy
05-02-2007, 12:01 PM

Rox rim strips. They're thinner than the stuff Campy provides and they'll make all your problems go away. Or your money back. It's not the sidewall, imho, it's the bead seat diameter becoming too large due to the stupid rim strip.

Neat observation and suggestion. You, smart. Me, not so smart.

Sandy

Brons2
05-02-2007, 12:12 PM

Get the wide yellow ones, not the cheesy black ones. Those cheesy black ones break.

thejen12
05-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Has anyone tried veloplugs instead of rim tape? (I think that's what they're called, from Velocity.) They are supposed to be lighter than rim tape, too.

Jenn

fierte_poser
05-02-2007, 12:25 PM
ergott included the velocity plugs on a recent new wheel build quote, so they can't be all bad, right? ;)

Brons2
05-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Has anyone tried veloplugs instead of rim tape? (I think that's what they're called, from Velocity.) They are supposed to be lighter than rim tape, too.

Jenn

Yeah, I like em! Unfortunately I taco-ed the wheel and I need to send it back to Ergott. (taco was not the fault of the wheel or Ergott, but rather user error...don't ask)

Some have told me though that you can only use the veloplugs with velocity rims but I haven't tried to verify that for myself.

davyt
05-02-2007, 12:29 PM

...don't the Eurus wheels have a bed that's free of holes obviating the need for rim strips?

http://www.campagnolo.com/thumbs/EURUS-Black_noHoles.jpg (http://www.campagnolo.com/pics/EURUS-Black_noHoles.jpg)
--
Davy

davyt
05-02-2007, 12:30 PM

Ozz
05-02-2007, 12:54 PM
...don't the Eurus wheels have a bed that's free of holes obviating the need for rim strips?
--
Davy
Hmmm...those must be the new ones...my 2003 version have holes in the rim....and a velox rim strip. Just changed a flat this past weekend....grrrrrr....took about 10 minutes to wrestle the tire off / on.

I didn't know Rox rimstrips were still around? I had a pair that lasted about 10 yrs! They are probably still going strong, but I sold the bike.

johnny1221
05-02-2007, 02:30 PM

They are available online from other sources wtihout the minimum order. Google "Soma Tire Levers" for the list.

Steelhead
05-02-2007, 03:06 PM
I talked to my friend who owns a set of these Campy Eurus wheels and he suggested that I try rubbing some diluted dish detergent on the rim to lube it and facilitate getting new rubber on.
He also suggested, like Jeff Weir, putting the new rubber on another set of wheels (like my Open Pros), inflating the tires to max pressure, and letting them stretch out for couple of weeks before trying to mount them on the Eurus wheels.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

You an also lay them out in the sun or throw them in the clothes dryer (low heat!) for a few minutes to soften them up prior to mounting. Also - try the Soma Steel Core tire lever...SWEET!

fierte_poser
05-02-2007, 03:44 PM

Doesn't have to be that way... lot's of folks run conti's on campy rims. Its a great combo...I've found the GP4000's to be darn near bulletproof.

Just sayin'

Cary Ford
05-02-2007, 03:49 PM
You guys are running rim strips on the Eurus wheelsets? Why? No spoke holes on the rims, at least not on the G3's. I don't run rim strips or tape - no need to - and have had no problems getting Michelin Race Pros on or off...

mitchel@century
05-02-2007, 06:01 PM
They are available online from other sources wtihout the minimum order. Google "Soma Tire Levers" for the list.
I did a google search, checked out some other vendors, and found that the shipping is exhorbitant unless I buy a lot of other stuff.
I'll wait till a bike expo or something when I can buy directly from a vendor.

bozman
05-03-2007, 11:55 AM
http://www.boure.com/9504.html

Priority Mail or UPS Ground shipping is free in the U.S.

Waldo
05-03-2007, 12:09 PM
In my experience, it's not the tires but the rims. Campy rims have always given me problems with tire mounting, no matter what the tire. Open Pros for me, please.

Sandy
05-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Doesn't have to be that way... lot's of folks run conti's on campy rims. Its a great combo...I've found the GP4000's to be darn near bulletproof.

Just sayin'

Ditto on the GP4000, thus far.

Sandy