PDA

View Full Version : “Get me a gun…I gonna shoot those birds!”…

Kevan
05-01-2007, 11:11 AM
That’s not me talking, that’s my wife, as we try to enjoy the last half hour snuggled under the bed sheets before the alarm declares the end. Me…I love the sound…the feathered chorus going on just outside our open bedroom windows. In particular, there is a mockingbird simply singing his heart out either cheering the start of a new day or trying to woo a potential mate. Nope, that sound is just fine to my ear and it makes me sink my head deeper in the pillow and sigh in content.

I have to be up at 5:30 and get myself prepared for my first ride of the season into work today. Tired from the long day before I slept soundly but by 5 a.m. I was awake thinking about my route, thinking about all the climbs I have to conquer while most folk are fidgeting with their coffeemakers instead. My mind takes me through the route and I think about each and every hill; I dwell on the count of 4 step climbs going up John St. The alarm jolts me out of bed. The race is on. I have 30 minutes to get myself in and out of the bathroom, dressed and perched on the bike outside.

Bang! The first pedal strokes are uphill and continue uphill until I leave my neighborhood. Route 117, chewed and gnarled by winter and extremely unfriendly to us cyclists is all mine going northbound, the southbound traffic is for train commuters rushing for the parking lot. It’s cold out…I mean, really cold out. The sun has just started lighting up the scene, but it’s warmth is a good half hour off still. Temperatures must have been near 40, if not lower. Long sleeve jersey, a vest, thin full-fingered gloves and knee warmers are my only armor. Toe warmers would have been nice. Think I’ll add them to my pile of stuff for Thursday’s romp.

I cut through Armonk and on an overpass can look down at the three lanes of I684 southbound, there... headlights follow headlights. I made the better move.

Sure enough, I start tagging the hill climbs, glad to be past each that I crest. Ah…Round Hill Rd. I am now in Greenwich traversing the community aiming for Stamford. I’m near the top of Round Hill with a gradual downhill for a couple miles to enjoy. I’m passing some of the wealthiest real estate in the entire country. Can’t smell the flowers for all the money. Thank goodness, it’s still too early in the season; the gardeners have not yet timed the morning sprinkler systems so the roads are dry. I turn left then right and left again, following the zigzag path of roads called Clapboard Ridge, Dingletown, and Cat Rock. I’m almost there. The sun is now removing the chill and my legs have long resigned themselves to the task. I’m enjoying my first morning commute to the office for the 2007 season.

In not too many hours…I get to do it all over again.

CNY rider
05-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Cheers from a fellow commuter.

How long is your commuting trip?

Ken Robb
05-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Big Deal, Kevan: where do you get ahi tacos on this ride? :beer:

Kevan
05-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Cheers from a fellow commuter.

How long is your commuting trip?

I keep it as quick and short as possible which is just over 20 miles.

Evens: no rules.

Kevan
05-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Big Deal, Kevan: where do you get ahyi tacos on this ride? :beer:

Bikes for immediate sale.