PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance Advice Requested

khjr
05-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Hi - I'm spending about $2400 + using frequent flier miles + traveling with my ~$2500 bike to France this August to go on a two week tour through the Alps with Graham Baxter tours. The tour group only offers insurance for UK citizens (that's what they told me...), so I'm looking to get insurance on my own.

Can anyone recommend a company with good service and low rates?

Any experience you may have in posting a claim and how it was handled would be appreciated.

Karl

dave thompson
05-01-2007, 09:11 AM
You might enquire with AAA, they offer trip insurance. I'm not sure about insurance for your bike. Perhaps your home owners or renters insurance would cover a loss of it.

Brian
05-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Karl,

I’ve been buying trip insurance from www.insuremytrip.com for years. Over a dozen companies are represented and you can easily compare all sorts of policies. Just make sure you pick one that provide the level of coverage you’ll need – especially if you are trying to cover potential damage to the bike.

Over the years I’ve submitted two claims. One was for a doctor’s office visit and medicine when my son got sick in Costa Rica. The other was for a recent travel delay in Switzerland. Both claims were paid promptly and without question. Just make sure you keep ALL travel documents (i.e., boarding passes, itineraries, etc.) and receipts. The better your documentation, the easier it is to get reimbursed.

BoulderGeek
05-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Good info, thanks.

Even though I didn't start this thread, I am sure it will help me on my 3 months in Europe this summer, as well.

Ended the job today! Now I just need to clean up, pack up, move out and go.