PDA

View Full Version : Swiss bike shop redemption

d_douglas
05-01-2007, 06:52 AM
I have to post this since I was bashing the Swiss a month ago. My apologies to all those I offended.

I walked by a shop in Geneva yesterday that I have NEVER seen open. It happened to be open and it was business as usual. I checked out a cool collection of steel Colnago's, limited edition C40s, a Scapin or two, and a few others. All used and for sale - very cool, but huge money (in case anyone is/was interested).

I ask the owner (he was the only one there and was about 65, I would guess) whether he had any Italian cups for my Chorus BB. He misunderstood my French and brought out a new 102mm BB and said it was 95chf (about $70). I said I would pass since I just wanted the cups from a trashed BB and was in no hurry.

He then said he MIGHT have a used one like what I was looking for and disappeared into the back only to come out with a nice used Chorus Italian BB and said he'd take 20chf (US$15) for it!

All that and he was patient with me as I tried to describe what I wanted. Cool guy and a cool little shop.

PeterW
05-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Which shop?

I lived in Geneva for four years and shopped at Mazza, Vifian, Girard, Brun, and others.

Wonderful memories, and WONDERFUL repair service.

39cross
05-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks for posting your good story, you made a nice connection there, those are the kinds of experiences that beat buying stuff through the 'net - and make where you live feel more of a home.

d_douglas
05-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Yes - I was happy to have this brief interaction with the owner. He was a nice older Swiss guy who was thinking flexibly (something the Swiss are not renowned for!) and he really helped me out.

The shop was called 'Cycles Selection' in the Paquis - the acknowledged party / red light district of the city. He fixes bikes for prostitutes, junkies, commuters and road racers alike.

It would be cool if there were commuting prostitutes! I will keep an eye out for that and let you know what I find . . .

Louis
05-02-2007, 11:32 AM
He fixes bikes for prostitutes, junkies, commuters and road racers alike.

Sounds like the same gang that hangs around here :p

Brons2
05-02-2007, 12:01 PM
I could not find this party/red light district the last time I was in Geneva. I stayed up all night the night before my flight back but ended up bored out of my skull after about 1am. Hey, at least the brew pub across the street from the train station was fun.

PeterW
05-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Actually you were only a few blocks away from the Paquis, which is tame and a bit depressing.

The wild spots in Geneva are few and hard to find. But when you find them, fun! I spent many great nights at L'Usine, a warehouse with cafe and live music and art scene where anything goes (government-sanctioned, as I recall, to keep these folks of the streets). Also, fun parties and cafes are the various squats around town. There is a big one behind the train station.

d_douglas
05-03-2007, 02:23 AM
But so am I. My ideal night is with my wife and our cat sitting on the couch drinking tea and reading a book. Boring. AND I am young!

Having said that, I spent most of my early adulthood years in Vancouver out at concerts and all the shenanigans that go along with that. I must say that Geneva has very little 'authentic' partying going on.

L'usine is one cool place (great reuse of old architecture too), but most places are slimy nightclubs with horrible dance music.

As mentioned, the Paquis is fairly depressing and sad. If you consider drunken Brits and Americans and Canadians marauding throught he streets looking to insult prostitutes then barfing after drinking $200 worth of booze and finishing it off with a falafel fun, well, then this IS the place for you!

Seriously, it is the most dynamic of places in Geneva at night, but there are some crazy people hanging around. Lots of Russian mafia wandering around drunk too. Cool.

Anyways, I think 'Monsieur Cycles Selection' and his bike shop are safely tucked away at home by the time the hijinx starts up in his neighbourhood. Good for him.