PDA

View Full Version : Time to build another commuter

Bud
04-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Hey all-

I've been incommunicado for a while, as work/school/life has been taking over for the last month. Trying to catch up on the forum seems like a lot of work too...

Anyway, I was delighted the other day when my wife said she'd like a commuter bike! So I'm thinking about building one up for her. It's gotta be a bit of a sleeper (has to look crappy) but needs to perform well. She'll be riding it from our house to the Park n' Ride (~5 hilly miles), throwing it on a bus to downtown Denver, then locking it up outside of her office downtown (no opportunity for inside storage there). She doesn't want to ride a total piece of crap, but doesn't want it to be too nice for anti-theft reasons as well. Also, she wants to be able to ride it the long way home on nice days and use it for possible lunchtime rides.

So I can deal with the drivetrain, wheels etc. but I need hints on where to start with the frame. She rides a 56 Orbea Mitis Dama (AL/CF) for her good bike, but I dont think she'll sweat the material too much. Any ideas or leads? As always, cheap is good...

Thanks-

bironi
04-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Perhaps an old steel Italian frame and fork. Powder coat something bland. It should be pretty cheap, or buy the old beat up paint job, and ride it that way.

hypnos
05-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Atlantis on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Rivendell-Atlantis-56-CM-complete-bicycle_W0QQitemZ230124112952QQihZ013QQcategoryZ98 084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Kevan
05-01-2007, 10:25 AM
buy the cheap frame, stretch the stays and you're off and running. Paint it yeller. No self-respectin' thief wants a cheap yeller bike.

A nice yeller bike is another story, take care!

Ken Robb
05-01-2007, 11:42 AM
For that ride I would probably choose my 1989 Bridgestone MB3 which I have modified with Rivendell Priest/Albatross bars, cork grips, 26x1/5 Avocet Cross tires, Blackburn Expedition rack w/atail trunk or paniers depending on the load. This gives a very comfy, pretty upright position. Immediately after setting it up I took the bike for a short test ride in my hiking shorts and Topsiders. I didn't come home until I had ridden 25 miles. :beer:

It would probably only appeal to a cool, smart thief and how many of those are around? Those locking skewers that require a special wrench to remove might be a good idea too.

Bradford
05-01-2007, 11:57 AM
I'd go with a Cannondale. There are plenty to be found used and they don't rust when rained on. If she is going to leave it outside, it will get wet.

I perfer to commute on a touring bike so I can throw my bag on the rack, and Cannondale makes a nice touring frame. (I rode one for many years of loaded touring and commuting). But, if she wants something more agressive, they make plenty of road frames also.

Ken Robb
05-01-2007, 12:48 PM
if you look on eBay under "Rivendell" you will find an MB3 that might be just what I described above. BIN fof $249. It's local pickup in VA. but maybe a forumite there would help you with shipping?

scrooge
05-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Kogswell Porteur?

http://www.kogswell.com/products.html

Bud
05-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Good suggestions, all. Bradford- I was thinking about a touring bike. I need to start checking craigslist, which is a pretty good source around these parts. Scrooge- the Kogswell looks cool, but that's way too much coin for this project. We're talking _cheap_ needs.

I'll keep everyone posted on ideas/thoughts. Keep the suggestions coming, if you've got one...

Oh- and I was cornfused earlier- she rides a 54 not a 56

palincss
05-01-2007, 05:07 PM
If you're looking for quality and low price, it's hard to go wrong with a lugged steel Japanese frame from the 80s. On the iBOB list, they're often referred to as "UJB's" - Universal Japanese Bikes - since virtually the same frame was sold under so many brand names.

As an added benefit, many of these convert very nicely to 650B, which gives you both a nice cushy ride and room for real fenders, both of which are very useful on a commuter.

You might try Craig's List, ebay or even your LBS. One of the local shops here in Arlington for the longest time had this really nice old Fuji America, a 23", I believe, or possibly a 22" that they wanted around $300 for.

RhinoDave
05-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Rescued this from a dumpster at a Storage facility. Total investment was changing the handlebars, adding fenders and some parts from the surplus bin. Less than a hundred bucks invested.
http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/3/6216570435.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4909093)

This came from a garage sale. Ten bucks for the bike. Only thing I added was the fenders and the rack. Less than fifty dollars invested.
http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/12/36109595492.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4354930)
I'd start checking some local garage sales and rummage sales unless you are in a hurry.

Vancouverdave
05-01-2007, 07:14 PM
If a new frame is a possibility, I'd go with a Soma Smoothie ES or Double Cross. If used, look for any Japanese made 1980's road bike that is old enough to be built for long caliper brakes--a Schwinn Super LeTour, for instance.

Bud
05-03-2007, 08:08 AM
OK so here are some possibilities for a starting point. They are the right size and I can get them for very cheap from a guy locally. I haven't seen them yet, but I think they would all fit the bill.

-Lugged Nishiki
-Lugged Maruishi
-Univega Via Carisma not lugged, has canti and fender bosses. I think this was built as a touring frame?

I think any one of these would work just fine. Anybody have any opinions or preferences one way or another? I'm leaning towards the Nishiki...

gdw
05-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Here's another option if you don't buy one of the frames and can wait a couple weeks. CU's spring semester is almost over and the students will be leaving shortly and many will be unloading the possessions which can't be easily moved -bikes- on Craigslist and at yard sales. Check the ads and drive around the Hill and I bet you can find some real good deals.

Bud
05-03-2007, 09:55 AM
gdw- nice idea...SInce I'm on campus every day anyway, I'll keep my eyes open.