PDA

View Full Version : Connex Link for a Wipperman 908 Nickel Chain

keno
06-09-2004, 06:45 AM
Does anyone know where I can get one of these? When I look on the various online bike sites, they refer to measurements and codes which have no meaning to me related to the solution of my problem. I need help.

How it happened. Yesterday I set out on a 40-mile loop. I was on the shoulder doing about 20 mph in 53/12 or something like it with a car on my left on a 40mph road. The car began to slow suddenly and I then saw why. A long train of goslings was winding across the road and I was about stuff one or two and mama and papa were watching. I braked and down shifted, and somehow slack was created in the chain at obviously the wrong place and the link popped out. I went searching and found part of it, but not enough of it to be useful. I left the chain on the curb, unfortunately about 20 miles from home.

I walked and coasted about 6 miles with my left thumb out trying to hitch a ride. After what appeared to be about 200 panel trucks, pickup trucks, station wagons, suvs, and old Pontiacs with enormous trunks, finally a good guy in a pickup truck with a rubber bed liner picked me up and brought me within about half a mile from home. (BTW, the one person who frosted me was the biker down in his aerobars on the downside of the steepest climb with me on the other side of the road walking my bike up it and who didn't even acknowledge me let alone ask if everything was OK, notwithstanding the fact that it was not to the most casual observer).

I was headed into New York City for a dinner late in the afternoon and decided to drive to where I had left the chain after having said a brief, monosyllabic then eternal farewell to it and to Mr. Wipperman. Apparently nobody wanted it any more than I did earlier in the day, so I have the remains and thought I might bring them back to life, such as it might be. I am aware of the great chain debate on this forum and may find it and read it now that I have a rooting interest.

keno

bostondrunk
06-09-2004, 11:36 AM
http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?brand=5055&init=y

You now owe me beer.... :beer:

TmcDet
06-09-2004, 12:37 PM
not sure I would want to replace something that made me have to walk that far home....guess if I did then I would make sure that the next time I an extra just in case

Ozz
06-09-2004, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't mind pulling my campy 10sp chain off my bike to give it a really good cleaning once in awhile, but I seem to recall a debate here that talked about how tricky it is to put it back together and keep it reliable.

Any thoughts on this?

Are the wipperman connex links any good? They sound a little suspect if Keno popped one by putting slack in the chain at the wrong moment. I've only heard of chains breaking when shifting under power (ouch!).

Thanks.

keno
06-09-2004, 12:56 PM
bostondrunk, here's the best Wednesday deal on the forum you're gonna find. You get not one beer, but two beers, but if, and only if, you come to chez keno here in scenic Tewksbury Township, NJ and ride some of our rollups.

And, yes, TmcDet, 2 would be the magic number ordered.

And, BTW, coasting on a chainless bike at 6 mph is not an uplifting experience.

keno

Too Tall
06-09-2004, 01:12 PM
The connex link is directional and the smaller lobular "keyed" sideplate needs to go against the cog. If my muddled dsylex brain is "gettin'" this right today the smaller lobular end will travel twords the front of the bike as you rotate the pedals to drive the rear wheel. Oy...can I go home now?

Also, I discovered that it's not a good option on an 11 tooth cog....that's just personal experience speaking.

www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/connex-link.jpg

keno
06-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Great word, TT, sounds obscene. I thought we were through with that thread.

TmcDet, if I ever had to use the second one out on the road, I would return home, hopefully, and toss the whole chain in the trash.

keno

TmcDet
06-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Keno,

Like you say if it happens again the whole chain would be gone, actually I started one of the chain threads earlier because I really like the ideal of being able to take the chain apart to clean. I have not replaced my chain as of yet and am still leaning toward trying one of the chains that can be taken apart, but learning from your experience I think I will order an extra link along with the chain.

dirtdigger88
06-09-2004, 03:35 PM
I have Mavic's version of this chain, I think it is great. It took me a couple of tries to feel comfortable installing the chain, but not I can do it with no problem. Nice feature to have if you like to keep the drive train clean

Jason

csb
06-09-2004, 09:54 PM
worldclasscycles.com gots me my whipherman 908 connex blah, blah, blah...

TK may have some suggestion also, as he is the thinkabilly that showed
me the way.

(me believes 908 stands for a wattage # that the rider must maintain
in order to be considered a true + real wipperman)

Too Tall
06-10-2004, 06:22 AM
Tough crowd ;) OK "blobular".

keno
06-10-2004, 07:01 AM
csb, Jensonusa has the links (maybe) for $4.00. Despite that, I want to get them through Tom. Since I'll be in his neighborhood with the racing school, I'd rather have the chain in hand in order to make sure it's the correct link. When I went on the Wipperman Connex site I found that it gives different chain dimensions than do the websites selling them.

TooTall, you read me incorrectly, if you are putting me in the tough crowd. Not on this one. I thought that lobular was a great word, so much so I looked it up, found it exists, and that, in my judgment, you used it exquisitely appropriately. No tough guy here; just my usual sweet tenderness.

keno

TmcDet
06-10-2004, 08:03 AM
TooTall didn't mean to be a tough crowd, Orbea really does have a frame that is called a Lobular.....I am the bright one that misspelled it in my post

csb
06-10-2004, 08:35 AM
-5 TmcDet

Too Tall
06-10-2004, 08:58 AM
No worries! :p

keno
06-10-2004, 03:23 PM
should I be worried about you? You didn't ding me for "my usual sweet tenderness". Too far off the charts to mentioned?

keno

csb
06-10-2004, 09:17 PM
ALI? no
IGGY? no
NEIL? no
GANG o' 4?, no
R.R.KIRK?, no
J.D.GILMORE?, no
BUSH(not him)?, no
RUFUS HARLEY?, no
KINKS?, no
T.HEADS?, no
bettie serveert?, no
CHOPIN?, no
CRACKER?, no

ok i give

LYLE LOVETT??
DON KING? (sorry lyle)

keno
06-11-2004, 02:28 AM
Perhaps Jackson Browne or Eric Carmen, but not really that at all.