PDA

View Full Version : Why?

dnovo
12-24-2003, 01:05 PM
One issue that nobody seems willing to address is the 'why' of Gary's proposal that we close this existing forum and move to his new forums, other than it will be good for the new forums.

Yep, and it puts us at risk of closing permanently.

In the past, we had a distinct persona linked through the Serotta site, and there is simply no reason why a link cannot be had to the BFC. But that doesn't seem good enough for some reason that we still have not heard.

But now, when the initial salvo appears to have fallen flat, we are asked, 'just vote, don't discuss it.'

Why? Because any real scrutiny shows that it has a lot of risks for us and a clear benefit only for Gary? I suggest that is exactly what is going on.

I'm sorry, and if this is the first note of discord here, then shot me or report me, but this pushing to close this group and turn it over to Gary is getting offensive.

And, make no mistake about it, it does not appear to be something done with the support of many of the members or by Serotta. To the contrary, it is outright insulting.

If Ben and Serotta were in favor of Gary's proposal, then no 'poll' or 'vote' would be necessary. It would simply have been announced. If they wanted us to tell them what we wanted to do, the request for a decsion or a poll would have come from Serotta, not Gary.

And, the way this is being pushed ISi nsulting to Ben and his company, make no mistake about that.

I was one of many of us who asked Ben to bring back a forum for us, which he did at his own expense. Several others who asked him to do so are now suggesting we close and join Gary. Why, my friends, why?

That group now has 350 members, has had no censorship imposed upon it, and the 'mo' is starting to finally flow. By contrast, looking at the BFC, there are very few listings or postings there, except from the Calfee group and even then, far less than here.

So Gary creates a new forum with very broad based goals, all laudable, but when it does not appear to be growing at all, he comes on here says, "forget everything, I need you to join my competing group [and as long as Serotta maintains this group that is exactly what it is] because it is 'good' for you?"

Why? No good explanation at all, particularly when closing or changing an existing group would be risking its demise or fragmenting what is already here if some members would prefer not to join Gary's groups.

And, what do we say to Ben, "thanks for everything, but adios?" Seems a bit rude to me, but not apparently to some of you or to Gary. And where is the good for us? Nowhere that has been shown other than the claim that it would be convenient (but so would a simple link) or because without us, Gary's other groups may fold.

That is all that has been shown so far: closing this group and moving it to Gary's would triple or quadruple Gary's existing group. That would be good for Gary's groups, and it may be good for Gary, but closing this forum has not been shown to be good for us at all.

To be blunt, I suggest that folding this tent to prop up a ship that is just getting under way, and to jump into that small craft while our comparatively stable and larger boat is just fine makes no sense to me. It puts us at risk to carry the other groups

Gary's supporters, who are well intended, say we need to join to keep these other groups afloat. I say, if they have no support or interest, then perhaps we should not put ourselves in a position where their sinking takes us down with them.

Also, we WILL suddenly find our distinct persona buried in Trek, Merckx, Pegoretti, Colnago, et al. Gary has created a wide ranging group of distinct bike fan clubs, several of which are of interest to many of us including us, but do we really benefit from going from a strong, singular group to simply one of many others, most of which have not a single member to date? I respectfully submit not.

Also, what the heck is wrong with simply linking our site to theirs? Nobody can seem to answer that, except to say that will not benefit the other sites.

Should we really all jump in and try to prop up forums by giving up what is now a healthy and growing group to merge into a new and poorly-attended congolmerate? I would prefer to remain 'the Serotta group' with a distinct identity and not simply be a part of a group that has ten or twenty other identities.

Now the issue everyone is ignoring: If Gary's group dies, where do we go? Ask Ben to do it all over again?

How many times are you going to spit in this man's face and why are you continuing to insult him now by this continuing demand that we close and turn everything over to Gary? If the BFC folds, or if the trolls show up there again, or if the sky falls, or whatever or for any reason there are any more problems, don't ask Ben to be our savior again if we now say, "Goodbye, thanks for propping us up, it's been nice, but we are out of here."

And that my friends is what this is REALLY about. Gary's groups need members. Those of us who have joined, including me, are posting and posting pictures. He wants us to carry the other groups, but all we hear as to why is the claim that 'the way to make sure Gary's groups prosper is for us to close and prop up his groups. That will be good for us."

Okay, but that does have the risk of removing our distinct personality and just exposes us to a lot of risks including going into the can once again.

That is the real reaon you now hear 'don't alk about it, just vote to do it.":

I apologize again for this blunt statement, but this push to have us close again after we nearly died, and now a 'don't even discuss it, let's just vote without even knowing why or what we are getting into' offends me.

If you can't persuade by a reasoned discussion, then cut off debate and call for a 'vote'. Okay, but what is simply stopping those who want to joining Gary's group? Why this 'demand' that we close this growing enterprise? What is the ONLY issue of discord that has arisen?

You figure it out, and I ask that this demand that we close again not be swept under the rug by trying to cut off debate. Hell, I don't know why we are even discussing it since the demand that we close is, IMHO, offensive on its face.

HERE IS THE DEAL: Anyone who wanted to join Gary's group could and can do so. If you want to be here, and 350 of us do, then why not allow liberty and democracy to continue.

No, we MUST close because why? Gary's groups need us. Okay, but why force us to close if they existing voluntary method hasn't worked? Do we need to 'vote' on it as has now been suggested, without debate, when anyone who wants to participate in Gary's forums but not participate here has every right to do that now without closing this group?

Apparently, that is not good enough for someone, and that is what we are now being asked to close up.

Thank you, but I would prefer to join voluntarily, which I did, and not force everyone on this group to move over there. The very proposal seems a bit offensive to me, and I am no stranger to being offensive, as many of you have observed in the past.

Dave N. (and the button to report this offensive post is located at the bottom of your screen.)

Kevin
12-24-2003, 01:15 PM
Dave,

I could not agree more. I have a happy home. Somebody else is paying the rent. My friends are here. Why should we leave? If we leave and it fails is Ben going to agree to pay the rent again? I don't think so. If it fails will my friends and I find a common home again? I don't think so.

I am sympathetic to Gary, but it is time to move on. This is our new home.

Kevin

dnovo
12-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Or, if I hadn't been so long winded, the thrust of what you and I are saying was, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The present forum is up and running. Why 'fix it' by closing it? And, if we do and the new house collapses, are we coming back to Ben hat in hand or looking for a new home all over again.

And how many more members will we find missing if we close and move even if the transition is smooth? And so on, all very real risks with the so-called 'need' to fold this group not that apparent

So why take the risk? It "ain't broke, don't rush to fix it."

Just remember what it was like those few weeks when we were down. Going to risk all that again for some ephemral bennies that are hard to see? That is what you are being asked to do.

If you want to join the BFC, do so. Nobody is saying, 'my way or the highway', but if that is what is coming next, I may not be as polite in the next thread.

Dave N.

Kevin
12-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Dave,

Those few weeks when the forum was down were hell. I was going through withdrawl. I was like a junkie trying to kick the habit. Now that I am getting my fix again, I don't want to lose my dealer.

Kevin

Smiley
12-24-2003, 01:54 PM
I am not about ready to ask Ben to move us, I know you and a few others went the extra mile to keep this thing alive. Why oh why pray tell should we betray the guy and his company that brought us back together. No , I am here till they throw me out. Hor's Categorie best bike on the planet. There talk about steeering guys to another brand of bike.

gwk
12-24-2003, 01:57 PM
Dnovo,

I applaud you for speaking your peace and I think you are right on. Long live the Serotta forum. There are a bunch of great people here and more joining all the time. No need to move. Let's all keep talking....and riding!!! George

rwl
12-24-2003, 02:04 PM
Dave,

I think all of us appreciate what Serotta is doing hosting the forum. Nobody is trying to be disrespectful of that. I really understand Kevin's withdrawl. Winter Bikeless Syndrome (WBS) is indeed upon us, as well.

I'd like BFC to prosper. As I've posted before, I get more out of the non-Serotta specific stuff, and find the discussion which is 'outside of the charter' of the forum quite interesting. I think *somehow* the sites might be linked to encourage jumping the fence.

I think the vote was just a poll, to see how folks felt. Not a call to light the torches and storm the, uh, new factory. We can wait until the next open house for that.

RDP
12-24-2003, 02:12 PM
rwl - a voice of reason.....

Dave - could we call a temporary truce and would you PLEASE post photos of your Look machines at the BFC? The only time I get to see those close up are at races or rides and there are not many going on in December. ;)

R

gt6267a
12-24-2003, 02:15 PM
i posted this elsewhere, but i will say it again. i am with dnovo et all. i believe that the serotta forum is a valuable arena of which i am happily a member.

there is nothing stopping me from joining any other group or forum vitual or otherwise.

there is a unique and valued orientation / perspective to this group that is important to maintain.

as well, any request to close this group, is something to seriously question in terms of reason and incentive. someone must expect to gain. recognizing that a person might gain significantly, i then question any and all arguments this person makes in terms of discrediting others and evangalizing his/her own.

Bruce K
12-24-2003, 02:48 PM
Are we nuts? How ungrateful can we sound?

I agree with Dave N, there is no need to close this forum and join Gary's.

If you want to support Gary's forum - join it. If you don't want to support this one - leave it. If you want to support both - great.

I, for one will continue to support this forum as the "home" of Serotta owners and freinds and hope that Ben, Todd, and Allyson keep up the good work as this new forum grows and moves forward.

I wish Gary luck and will probably sign on to his service as an alternative/additional resource.

We begged and pleaded with Ben and Company to restore the forum and now this? I just don't get it....

BK

Len J
12-24-2003, 03:09 PM
Ditto

Double Ditto.

Len

Johny
12-24-2003, 03:15 PM
I agree with Dave.

Basically, IMHO, two impotant questions of this whole thing are:
1. WHETHER WE CAN SPEAK FREELY HERE?
2. DO WE REALLY ISOLATE OURSELVES FROM THE WORLD?

My answers are:
1. Are you kidding me? We've already talked about a lot of different things here. Read the user agreement again. Ben wants us to have fun here as long as we are civil.
2. Hey, you are kidding me again, right? This is an age of internet. Who can get isolated (don't try to invade my computer though)?

I just appreciate the rebirth of this new home, do you?

Edited:
BTW, to those who say we may promote any other non-Serotta products, and dealers may be very unhappy against Ben,

You must be kidding me. Anyone who stays here long enough would only buy more Serotta's (I am not kidding you).

SBash
12-24-2003, 03:33 PM
I will make this short! Give this forum a chance to grow first before changes are made. Why change this soon when it has only been a couple of weeks to get off the ground. I personally like the rebirth and will be posting more now that I'am between jobs.

SB

Bill Bove
12-24-2003, 03:35 PM
I love the freaking banana's:banana: I am here, this is where I am going to stay. If Ben were to ask us to pay a subscription fee for this forum, I would pay it.

Thank you Ben for the best bikes money can buy.
Thank you Ben for this forum.
Thank you Ben for the magical banana's

JohnS
12-24-2003, 03:50 PM
It seems to me like Dnovo is taking this a little personally. Are you mad because of the way kahuna handled (didn't handle) the whole troll episode?

Johny
12-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by JohnS
It seems to me like Dnovo is taking this a little personally. Are you mad because of the way kahuna handled (didn't handle) the whole troll episode?

JohnS,

Sorry to hear that.

Yes, we all take this personally. However, this has nothing to do with the old forum. WE JUST WANT TO HAVE A WARM AND SWEET HOME!

BumbleBeeDave
12-24-2003, 04:35 PM
. . . of axes grinding. And they are not Kahuna's

Let's. Move. On.

BBDave

dnovo
12-24-2003, 05:11 PM
No, it's not personal. I made no secret of the fact that I thought creating a 'BASEMENT' that simply served to encourage the more outrageous excessive of trolling and caused them to brag about how quickly they could top one another in the offensive nature of their newest posts to achieve the 'honor' of the quickest trip to the cellar was a dumb idea on Gary's part. Neither was his insistence on allowing trolls free rein to bash away.

No, that did not make Gary a bad person. These were matters that simply were not thought out. Mistakes don't make one a bad person. If so, we would all be heading down rather than up when we leave this world, if you are a believer that is.

I screwed up plenty in life, and on the original site. I have tried not to do so here. But it wasn't my idea, when everything was going so well, to show up and say, "hey, I got a great idea. Now that we had to shut down, but now that we are up and appear to be running well and getting new members each day, let's close up the Serotta forum after all the work to get it restarted and move over to my new forums, which coinciendently, aren't doing so well."

And now, when that idea appears not to be going over very well, what is the response? "Dave you are taking it personally" and "I hear the sound of axes grinding?"

Yeah, I think I made some mistakes on the old forum. But so did others. And, although he doesn't seem to want to admit it, so did Gary when he underestimated the impact of the trolls and was not willing to deal with the situation as quickly as may have been warranted. The difference is, I will admit my transgressions, but Gary now wants to pretend nothing ever happended and then says, "okay, now that everything is up and running, let's close down again and go back to the way I want to do it."

Taking it personally? Grinding axes? Perhaps the one who is really taking the success of this new forum as a personal affront in contrast to the lack of growth at other forums formed at the same time is not the one who is about to sign this note?

I am also a bit saddened by the fact that when I simply pointed out the logic, or lack thereof and potential risks, of Gary's rather bold suggestion that we close down again, who was it that was the recipient of the first salvo that even smacks of descending into personalities again -- followed by the, 'now that I have impugned your motives, let's move on?"

Guys, we have managed to avoid personal attacks for some time now and the forum has grown. Gary's idea has stirred the first round of real controversy and the first real attempt at 'censorship' ('let's not discuss it, let's just do it' and 'if you disagree with Kahuana, you must have an axe to grind.') What we really should move on from is the need to respond to discussion with impunging the integrity of those who disagree. That is how the old board 'went south' and I would prefer not to see it again.

Sad, sad, sad. Dave N.

Smiley
12-24-2003, 05:17 PM
and have a wonderful holiday season, Sandy and Spectrum Bob with their families along with other good friends will be over soon to dine with us and share a good story or two. Thats what this is all about. I hope we get a chance to meet next year, maybe you can have us over for a ride on that Super boat of yours, or maybe we see you at the Open House. Have enjoyed all your posts.

Dick Little
12-24-2003, 05:22 PM
Dave,

You went off your rocker over on the Calfee forum and had to leave because you were too thin skinned, pompous, and reactive to hang around there. You then did the same on the Serotta forum, only this time you took it a step further and were the main reason the forum was shut down in thr first place. It was your actions, not only those of the ten year old kid posing as Peter North, that killed the original Serotta forum. Why don't you just step back, ride your bike, and not hit the roof every time someone disasagree's with you. These forums aren't the dnovo forums.

larryp2
12-24-2003, 05:29 PM
well said Mr. Little.....

dnovo
12-24-2003, 06:37 PM
Nor is the Serotta forum about to close and become Gary's forum again, despite his suggestion as we just saw. But you are entitled to your views, Dick, as wrong as they may be -- or not. Nice thing about opinions is that we are all entitled to express them, even me. Still hope your back is better despite your kind words. Dave N.

shinomaster
12-24-2003, 08:55 PM
Do these forums make anyone any money?? I mean Kahuna? Obviously For serotta this could lead to increased sales..

BumbleBeeDave
12-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Kahuna runs his forums as a sidelight and a service to the cycling world. As far as I know he does not make any money off of it. In fact, according to what he has told me he has invested a great deal of time, labor, and money in hardware, bandwidth access, and just plain housekeeping to make it work. I do not know if Ben was paying him to host the old forum or not, but I think it is a fairly sure bet that all of the manufacturers on his new site are not paying him to host them.

BBDave

Saxon
12-24-2003, 09:17 PM

dnovo
12-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Except for a beard, that would be a dead ringer for me. Thanks, Saxon, I will post a copy on the 'fridge. Dave

rwl
12-24-2003, 10:28 PM
The child, or God? ;)

---------------------------------------------------
The chickens have come home to roast.

RDP
12-24-2003, 10:38 PM
ROTFLMAO.......who would want to shut this down. My side hurts. :D

dnovo
12-24-2003, 10:53 PM
rwl, God doesn't have a beard, does she?

RDP, I posted the pictures of the Look 481 and 486 in full size at the Production Bike Gallery of BFC as you requested. As soon as Gary gets them up, you should be able to see what you wanted. I included close ups of the very different shapes and build Look chose for the TT and HT of these two carbon frames. Enjoy.

Dave N.

RDP
12-24-2003, 11:03 PM
Got it....thanks again. Hmmm, is it me or does this 'cross-forum' messaging/posting or whatever feel like when you email your cubicle neighbor rather than just standing up and looking over the divider? :o

Climb01742
12-25-2003, 05:41 AM
maybe we should make rodney king our moderator. guys, please, can't we all just get along? personally, i'm so freaking happy to have this forum back and to be able to shoot the s**t with you guys/gals. ben has given us a great sandbox to play in. maybe a good way to say thanks is to turn the other cheek. figuring out right and wrong is really hard, and maybe ultimately pointless. forgive the shirley temple moment, but hey, let's let stuff slide. hanging here is cool. peace.

Kevin
12-25-2003, 05:53 AM
I have been working the phones all night looking for a moderator for our situation. Rodney King turned us down, Henry Kissenger turned us down, Jimmy Carter turned us down, Nelson Mandella turned us down. When I was just about to give up, I spoke to my five-year old's kindergarten teacher. She was hesitant at first. She has only been teaching for 30 years and never had to address such a childish situation. She wasn't sure she could handle it. However, after I promised to send her the Santa cookies that my children had baked, she agreed. She has reviewed every posting. Here is her decision.

EVERYONE IS NOW IN TIMEOUT. EVERYONE IS TO PUT THEIR HEAD ON THEIR COMPUTER KEYBOARD. SHE IS GOING TO TURN OUT THE LIGHTS. WHEN SHE TURNS THE LIGHTS ON WE CAN PLAY AGAIN. HOWEVER, WE CAN NOT DISCUSS THE MOVING OF THIS FORUM. IF WE DO, SHE HAS ALL OF OUR ADDRESSES FROM WHEN WE REGISTERED OUR BIKES, AND SHE IS GOING TO TAKE THEM ALL AWAY.

Children it is time to move on.

Merry Christmas.

Kevin

dnovo
12-25-2003, 06:13 AM
Gary just cleared the Look photos you requested. They are up at the Production Bikes Image Gallery at BFC for you to look at. Dave N.

Climb01742
12-25-2003, 06:23 AM
dave n, have a very merry christmas. its warm here, mid forties. will put my santa hat on soon and ride. hope you can too. your pal, climb.

dnovo
12-25-2003, 07:12 AM
I was out a bit this moring. A balmy 17 here. At the keyboard with some coffee now waiting for the kids who stopped by last night to crawl out of bed and start on their moring presents -- and then out again when it 'climbs' into the 20s later today. Merry Merry, Happy Happy. Dave N.

Kevin
12-25-2003, 07:26 AM
Dave,

You are crazy. Riding at 17 degrees.

Having young children, who are still believers, I will be spending my day assembling gifts, trying to get them out of the packaging, etc. In other words, I will be enjoying Christmas through the eyes of children. Which is the only thing that I can think of that beats a day on the bike.

Merry Christmas.

Kevin

dnovo
12-25-2003, 07:41 AM
No, I am just crazy. Period. Enjoy the kids. Both of mine are home for the holidays. It is still nice when they are 24 and 22 and they still like their presents. But I miss the small, happy faces -- and not quite ready for grandkids yet. Dave N.