PDA

View Full Version : Stem Information

mikki
04-30-2007, 12:21 PM
OK...I am researching components for my Holland Exogrid build. Doing pretty well with decisions but have a question on stems:

As I am trying to save weight on light components, could anyone suggest stems that are minimalistic looking (not flashy as my bike has alot going on already) as well as very strong and reliable? Classy looking would be appreciated. What do you think of Cinelli's Graphis stems? If it's easy for you to send a link so I can see them, I would appreciate it. (appreciate the feedback without the link too)

PS. Tried searching for stem info on the forum but didn't come up with too much..

rnhood
04-30-2007, 12:33 PM
I would imagine there are many stems that will work. I have an ITM and, have been very happy with it. Not too flashy, not too expensive, but good integrity and soundly made. 140 grams, about $90 give or take.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/glorycycles_1945_31876044

The Richey WCS 4-Axis is suppose to be an improved WCS which was already a very good stem. It's pretty light too at 115 grams. About $90 give or take.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/glorycycles_1943_63559777

zap
04-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Thomson X2 stem looks nice and comes in shiny or black versions. Not the lightest nor the heaviest, but a good, solid, reliable, classy looking stem made in the USA.

RPS
04-30-2007, 12:39 PM
The Cinelli is not all that light if the listed weight is correct. My WCS are lighter and strong enough for me.

• Fork clamp diameter: 28.6mm (1" 1/8) with reduction to 25.4mm (1")
• Clamp: 31.8mm
• Angle 80/100deg
• 165g (110mm)

CNY rider
04-30-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm a fan of Easton aluminum stems. Understated, reasonably lightweight. EA-70 I believe is the one I have. You can see pix in any bike catalogue.

Bill D
04-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Syntace F-99. Minimalist, light, and seems stiff enough. It's what Bill Holland recommended to me, for what that's worth.

dgauthier
04-30-2007, 01:02 PM
. . . as well as very strong and reliable?. . .

Looks are subjective, but the strongest stems are made by forging. (Just ask Atmo.) Most of the manufacturer's provide info about how a stem is made. Stick with forged stems, rather than CNC'd stems.

davids
04-30-2007, 01:38 PM
CNC'd - no.

Forged - yes.

I've liked Ritchey WCS, which are no longer made, and Oval Concepts.

http://www.wisecyclebuys.com/ProductImages/stem_wcs.jpg
http://www.toeclip.com/images/VA2025.JPG

pdxmech13
04-30-2007, 09:55 PM
what David said.......no cnc'd crap.

Jack Brunk
04-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Go with a custom Moots or Seven ti stem. It will be plenty light and will match the ti finish on the Holland.

DRZRM
04-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Yeah, if you have it to spend, look at the Moots Open Road, they are something to look at.

http://www.moots.com/ticomp-openroad.php

soulspinner
05-01-2007, 05:28 AM
Thomson X2 stem looks nice and comes in shiny or black versions. Not the lightest nor the heaviest, but a good, solid, reliable, classy looking stem made in the USA.

Theoretically a cncd stem is better but just like a frame its the way its made. The ritchey stems are forged but way more flexible than the Thomsons. Which one will fatigue first to break point? My x-2 has a better finish , is unique looking(i like it) and is 140 grams with hardware in a 110. I can tell a difference on the road. I have ridden a lot of stems in my days, the x-2 is the best combo of cool looks, stiffness, weight and affordability out there. The website says they are coming out with a lighter masterpiece stem, but they dont say when. If you like the look, its a great stem.

CNY rider
05-01-2007, 07:29 AM
Theoretically a cncd stem is better but just like a frame its the way its made. The ritchey stems are forged but way more flexible than the Thomsons. Which one will fatigue first to break point? My x-2 has a better finish , is unique looking(i like it) and is 140 grams with hardware in a 110. I can tell a difference on the road. I have ridden a lot of stems in my days, the x-2 is the best combo of cool looks, stiffness, weight and affordability out there. The website says they are coming out with a lighter masterpiece stem, but they dont say when. If you like the look, its a great stem.

What theoretical considerations make a CNC'd stem better?

How big are you? Can you really feel your stem flex (I'm not trying to be a PIA; as a 145 pounder I don't honestly think I'm flexing anything!).

saab2000
05-01-2007, 07:46 AM

How big are you? Can you really feel your stem flex (I'm not trying to be a PIA; as a 145 pounder I don't honestly think I'm flexing anything!).

You don't know something is flexible until you ride something stiffer and go, "Hmmm......"

chrisroph
05-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Will holland make you custom ti or steel stem to go with the bike?

zap
05-01-2007, 08:49 AM

Here's my take on this.

If I wanted lets say a 100 gram 120mm al stem, I would feel more comfortable about durability with a quality forged al stem v a cnc'd al stem.

But really, a 100 gram forged al stem might be fine for the op and others, but would be to flexible for me. Thomson stems appear to be well engineered and have more material than many forged units and as a result, while heavier, should be stiffer than most. Also the extra material should help with longevity as well.

RPS
05-01-2007, 08:51 AM
How big are you? Can you really feel your stem flex (I'm not trying to be a PIA; as a 145 pounder I don't honestly think I'm flexing anything!).You don't know something is flexible until you ride something stiffer and go, "Hmmm......"I’m more in the CNY rider camp on this one regarding stem flex, particularly when used with carbon forks. I don’t have data; just observation so it is strictly an opinion.

Not long ago I was transporting two bikes – both with carbon forks – side by side held in place by relatively rigid fork mounts to go for a ride with a builder in my area. As we were discussing and comparing the differences in the stiffness of the two forks, it was obvious to us that the forks were far more flexible than the stem or bars. A little force applied to the bars resulted in significant rotation relative to the dropouts, and most of that appeared (visually anyway) to be due to the fork. The stems and bars (both Ritchey WCS) had little apparent flex compared to the forks as they would affect steering. I could easily see that the top of the steerer tube was rotating around with the bars. Had much of the flex been in the stem and bars, that would not have been the case.

When I got home I mounted my Schneider with a stainless fork next to one of the carbon forks and the difference in rotational stiffness was immediately noticeable. All I’m saying is that stems seem to be a small contributor to total flex; particularly when using light-weight forks. If you ride a bike with a stiff steel fork, then the difference may be much more pronounced. However, with my lightest carbon fork that weighs just under 300 grams, I seriously doubt I could tell much of a difference between most quality stems. :argue:

musgravecycles
05-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Sniped:

Theoretically a cncd stem is better but just like a frame its the way its made.

Not true. If you had 2 identical stems, one forged and once CNC'd the forged one will be stiffer and last longer.

Not saying that a Thomson isn't stiffer than most other stems out there, but that isn't due to the fact that it's CNC'd...

saab2000
05-01-2007, 09:37 AM
I noticed a distinct improvement in stiffness on my Merckx Ti when I changed from a Look HSC3 fork to a Reynolds Ouzo Pro. The fork does indeed play a role.

Ironically, the same fork on my Look feels just fine. No idea why.

soulspinner
05-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Not true. If you had 2 identical stems, one forged and once CNC'd the forged one will be stiffer and last longer.

Not saying that a Thomson isn't stiffer than most other stems out there, but that isn't due to the fact that it's CNC'd...

Actually I meant to say that the forged one should be better, your right, but when something flexes that much more, given that they are the same material, its likely to give up first. In Mikkis case, shes probably light enough that its irrelevant. Ritchey stems tend to be light and flexible in their respective price range , I have used them for years. I live in a city and am always sprinting away form lights. The difference in the real world was surprising. If your looking for longevity from any metal, lots of flexibility is a minus, not to mention wasted energy. Nobody comments about flex unless its in a frame, but lost energy is lost energy imho.

93LegendTG
05-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Black Thomson X2 on my Titus Vuelo Exogrid; its a very nice stem with understated good looks.

michael white
05-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Syntace F-99. Minimalist, light, and seems stiff enough. It's what Bill Holland recommended to me, for what that's worth.

this is my choice. though there are no bad choices here. The Syntace on my Merlin is extremely light, everything that can be taken away is gone.

RPS
05-01-2007, 02:41 PM
I noticed a distinct improvement in stiffness on my Merckx Ti when I changed from a Look HSC3 fork to a Reynolds Ouzo Pro. The fork does indeed play a role.

Ironically, the same fork on my Look feels just fine. No idea why.Saab, my heavier carbon fork -- approximately 500 grams -- is also a Reynolds Ouzo Pro, and is much stiffer than my Easton fork which weighs just under 300 grams. Neither is as stiff as the stainless steel fork but get the job done just fine. They also do a great job of isolating the front end from the road -- particularly the lighter Easton which feels smoother.

ols
05-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Another vote here for the Syntace F-99 for a light, forged, minimalist stem. An extra cool thing it does is "hold" your bars in place while you are putting on the front face plate (especially useful on a coupler bike.)

musgravecycles
05-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Actually I meant to say that the forged one should be better, your right, but when something flexes that much more, given that they are the same material, its likely to give up first. In Mikkis case, shes probably light enough that its irrelevant. Ritchey stems tend to be light and flexible in their respective price range , I have used them for years. I live in a city and am always sprinting away form lights. The difference in the real world was surprising. If your looking for longevity from any metal, lots of flexibility is a minus, not to mention wasted energy. Nobody comments about flex unless its in a frame, but lost energy is lost energy imho.

Agreed, light stems will b flexy no matter what (or how) they're made of. In the real world the Thomsons are about as stiff as it gets. It's really too bad they don't make the X-2 in a 26.0 clamp..

mikki
05-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Bill actually doesn't make custom stems...or at least he didn't suggest one. I will ask to make sure, though.

Also, I wonder if Seven or Moots will sell their stems even though the frame isn't either? They are both very nice looking. I also like the minimalist look of the Syntace 99. No further problems since the 2003 recall?

To answer the question about weight, I am 136-139 (depending on my food discipline; definately love good food) Height 5ft. 5 1/2"

You guys are great...I trust your input and am feeling more & more comfortable on the forum these days...Thanks

soulspinner
05-01-2007, 06:58 PM
No matter what stem you use thats gonna be a sweet bike. I live in the East, but Ive heard of Mr Holland in bike shops. The guy has a heck of a reputation. Enjoy. Remember to tell Mr Holland what stem and bars you are using as it can affect the fit more than some realize. Look at the drop and reach of the bars, rise of the stem so you and he can fine tune the dimensions of the frame. Best of luck.

MarleyMon
05-01-2007, 07:33 PM
PS. Tried searching for stem info on the forum but didn't come up with too much..

fwiw here's a recent one: stem choice (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=27891&highlight=Stem+choice)