PDA

View Full Version : Rival AXS Brake Bleed

ikecycke
08-12-2022, 03:54 PM
I've done some YouTube and internet research, and haven't found anything as pertains to this yet. All the info and videos I've seen just refer to the Force/Red AXS bleed.

The new Rival AXS brake caliper doesn't use the bleeding edge tool, there is a bleed screw that you remove, and then you screw the syringe attachment into that opening. After that, use the same bleed process as the other AXS stuff, pushing and pulling fluid through the system. I'm fine up until there.

But once finished that part, how do you remove the caliper syringe without dripping DOT fluid all over the place? And doesn't that being opened at the bottom with the syringe attached at the lever introduce a bit of air into the system?

I've gone through the process a couple times and have still gotten decent results from the bleed, but it seems like there should be a better way. I've tried to adjust the angle of the bike in the stand to have the caliper higher up with the hope gravity gives some help, but it still tends to drip a bit due to the pressure in the hose.

Pinned
08-12-2022, 11:36 PM
This is the way SRAM bleeds were prior to the bleeding edge port. The Rival AXS brakeset is ~40% less expensive than Force AXS, and this is one of the omissions versus Force and up.

When disconnecting the syringe from the caliper, make sure the caliper is the lowest part of the system. I hold a rag up to the caliper to catch fluid and try to swap the syringe and bleed port cover as quickly as possible. You really shouldn't get any meaningful amount of air introduced, as you've effectively overfilled the system.

Following that, I press a bit of fluid back into the lever before removing that syringe. The bleed will be fine - don't overthink it too much, the SRAM road brakes are by far the fastest and easiest to bleed even without the bleeding edge port.

fa63
08-13-2022, 06:34 AM
If you close the bleed screw at the lever first, there should be very little fluid that drips at the caliper.

noysboy
08-18-2022, 06:41 AM
I just went through this while installing. I also was worried a little, but after a couple of test rides all seems fine. I sure appreciate the lower price of the rival axs bits.