PDA

View Full Version : regals aren't just for big guys

Climb01742
04-29-2007, 08:58 AM
i've been an aliante user for quite a while. but as my position on the bike has moved forward and up, i've been sitting differently on the aliante. as a result, the nose of the aliante has been, uh, bugging the old taint.

so i thought i'd try a flat saddle. i'm 5'11" and a buck fifty. so i tried a narrow saddle, an arione. ouch. it felt as though it nestled too, uh, deeply in between the sitbones.

so i went the opposite way, a regal. i'd always thought regal's width was better suited for bigger riders. but dang, it's comfy. it feels as though the width supports my sitbones, lifting all the tender bits out of the way and off any pressure points.

yes, it isn't the lightest saddle but pain is a heavier thing to ride with than an extra 100 or so grams.

so even if you aren't boonen sized, maybe consider a regal. it's making my rides much happier!

bironi
04-29-2007, 09:41 AM
I've been on Rolls for years, but put a Regal on my fixed bike almost a year ago. I love it. It is longer and slimmer in the nose, which is great for sliding forward to spin a high cadence on steep descents. Hey, and they look great too. :beer:

Ray
04-29-2007, 11:04 AM
I think its been pretty well determined that there's not a lot of correlation between a person's size and the width between their sit bones. Saddle comfort is all about sit-bone support (and how you sit on the bike). So a little guy with wide sit-bones will need a wider saddle than a tall guy with narrow sit-bones. And visa versa and all that. I'm ok with the Regal and Rolls too, but still prefer the Aliante.

-Ray

joy&revolution
04-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Here's another vote for the regal from a little guy. I'm 5'7 140 and find my regal to be far more comfortable than any other saddle i've tried. Does anyone know if the regals used by boonen or McEwen are just the production titanium railed model recovered, or if they're a different non production model? cheers.

Serotta PETE
04-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Regal is one of my all time wonderful saddles for my butt. I really like the red one that Richard sells. (He also has some white ones I hear) Or just the black one is good.....Yes I am not too much of a guy who can coordinate colours....

justinf
04-29-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm all Aliante or Regal myself. I've been sitting back on the saddle a bit more lately and so they feel fairly similar to my way of feeling. Or, at least, I'm comfy on either. Didn't like the Arione.

5'9", 155, pretty damn average.

Len J
04-29-2007, 01:36 PM
most I've ever weighed......rode a regal back in the days when I was more like 140 & loved it....moved on for the "new stuff".........

Bought a Red regal from e-richie to match a bike & my butt applauded...fits great.

I'm back now.

Len

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?postid=340628#poststop

musgravecycles
04-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Welcome to the Regal club bro.

Regals and Rolls, the only way to roll.

Uh, yeah...

bigbill
04-29-2007, 01:50 PM
A good saddle is one you never think about. I used to like turbomatics, but they creaked. I swapped over to Regals about three years ago and am still riding the first one I bought. The one on the commuter has been crashed, ridden in the rain daily, been under bigbill riding in the tropics (nuff said), and it still looks new. I am thinking about getting a new white one from E-richie for the BLE and save the other one for the commuter when it wears out in ten years or so.

blharrell
04-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Love Regals but ride Aliantes and Brooks Team Pro.

Team Pro is great on more vintage rides (Masi GC), the Aliante on a faster bike (RS) and the Regal fits in the middle (CSi).
Each fits the type of bike and ride perfectly.

musgravecycles
04-29-2007, 05:31 PM
btw Climb,

You ever get around to getting your U2 built up? I'm waiting to see what build you end up picking.

keno
04-29-2007, 05:44 PM
great tushes sit alike. Got 3 of them myself, Regals, that is.

keno

cs124
04-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Climb and others, do you find that the Regal has just one "optimum" way to sit on it or is it just flat out comfy whether you're all the way back pushing a big gear or slid forward on the nose spinning?

I'm currently using Ariones which are about 80% comfortable no matter how I sit on them. Previously I was using San Marco Squadra HDP. It was magic if my butt was in just the right spot, but pretty awful if I wasn't.

cheers.

TAW
04-29-2007, 10:25 PM
If I might piggy-back on the last question for Climb and others. I have an Arione which is fairly comfortable on the sit bones, but not so much up front. How would you compare the Regal to this in front?

Thanks

Climb01742
04-30-2007, 05:14 AM
i've been on the regal for about 10 rides now. so far i've found it comfy both fore and aft. usually upfront on saddles my taint wouldn't be too happy, but not so on the regal so far. i find it dramatically better than an arione, but i think for me that's all about sitbone support. even sliding forward, i think my sitbones have enough support to keep weight/pressure off of "sensitive" bits. :rolleyes: i guess this is how a golden oldie gets to be a golden oldie...it works, eh?

keno
04-30-2007, 06:18 AM
I move around the saddle quite a bit. It works for me pretty much all around. As with any saddle, getting the right tilt is crucial. I've tried many saddles (why I don't know now, but I've concluded the Regal is the ONE for me) and the Regal, for me, is levels above the others I've tried.

keno

bostondrunk
04-30-2007, 06:41 AM
I've been a long time regal and rolls user as well. I've recently been trying some newer, even flatter saddles like the toupe, arione, etc., due to the fact that I move around a lot on the saddle because of hip issues, etc.
But yeah, they are great. I have a stash of new ones. The good folks at Nashbar had some wacky closeout on the white perforated models of both rolls and regals for about $10 each about 2 years ago. I bought 50 of them (no joke). Kept 2 of each for myself, sold the rest. How else could I afford a 'nago.... ;)
When the 'rever' saddle came out, with its listed width very similar to the Regal, I couldn't wait to try it. But when I got one, it felt horribly uncomfy, very very stiff. Currently trying a 143mm toupe..

Birddog
04-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Keno said:
As with any saddle, getting the right tilt is crucial.
I have had a Regal for awhile now, and although I like it, i don't love it. I'm trying to find the right "tilt". What are you guys finding is the right "tilt" from top rear to the nose? or vice versa?

Birddog

cs124
04-30-2007, 08:02 AM
i've been on the regal for about 10 rides now. so far i've found it comfy both fore and aft. usually upfront on saddles my taint wouldn't be too happy, but not so on the regal so far. i find it dramatically better than an arione, but i think for me that's all about sitbone support. even sliding forward, i think my sitbones have enough support to keep weight/pressure off of "sensitive" bits. :rolleyes: i guess this is how a golden oldie gets to be a golden oldie...it works, eh?

and

I move around the saddle quite a bit. It works for me pretty much all around. As with any saddle, getting the right tilt is crucial. I've tried many saddles (why I don't know now, but I've concluded the Regal is the ONE for me) and the Regal, for me, is levels above the others I've tried.

keno

Thanks. Sounds like a keeper. I reckon I should check one out. :beer:

bostondrunk
04-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Keno said:

I have had a Regal for awhile now, and although I like it, i don't love it. I'm trying to find the right "tilt". What are you guys finding is the right "tilt" from top rear to the nose? or vice versa?

Birddog

I've usually run mine pretty much level, but I think it depends a lot on your saddle to bar drop, not to mention the differences in everyones anatomy. I'd start with it level and work from there. If when level you find you are 'falling forward' too easily, then try tilting back a little bit. If on the other hand you find the level saddle is putting too much pressure on you, tilt that baby forward a little bit, but not so much that you start sliding forward on the saddle. :beer:

Climb01742
04-30-2007, 08:12 AM
so far, i'm running mine level, meaning the tip of the tail and tip of the nose are level. this creates a very very slight hammock. this balances things for me, not tilting me back or forward.

another thing i'm digging is my hips feel planted, without any tendancy to slide sideways or fore/aft. feels like i have a solid base to pedal from, especially when pushing a bigger gear.

hey, BD, you wanna sell one of your white ones??????? pretty please with a cherry on top??????? :D

Climb01742
04-30-2007, 08:18 AM
btw Climb,

You ever get around to getting your U2 built up? I'm waiting to see what build you end up picking.

i'm tweaking the gearing. can't quite decide whether to make it a pure, extreme climbing bike or a semi-climber. now i have semi-climbing gearing (36/48) upfront, which around here means i'm on the 48 90% of the time. a 36 around here is pretty useless. i like the frame a lot. carl knows his stuff. if i make it a climbing bike, i'll ride it less due to specialized gearing. not sure i want to limit it's use that way. short answer, i'm dithering. :crap:

bostondrunk
04-30-2007, 08:30 AM
so far, i'm running mine level, meaning the tip of the tail and tip of the nose are level. this creates a very very slight hammock. this balances things for me, not tilting me back or forward.

another thing i'm digging is my hips feel planted, without any tendancy to slide sideways or fore/aft. feels like i have a solid base to pedal from, especially when pushing a bigger gear.

hey, BD, you wanna sell one of your white ones??????? pretty please with a cherry on top??????? :D

I would, but I honestly only have 2 left! I do keep an eye out on ebay, and recently picked up one of the funky looking 'non-slip' Regals that has all the colored san marco stitching on it. It too is sitting in the closet as a keeper. :)