PDA

View Full Version : Dave Moulton's Blog

bobscott
04-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Dave Moulton, framebuilder turned author, has a readable blog I picked up from another post here. It is located at:http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/

Below is part of a "Need for the Wheel"-like entry which particularly spoke to me.

Enjoy,
bobscott

Only another bike rider could know the feeling of getting out of the saddle and stomping hard on the pedals. The immediate response from the machine as the rubber bites into the asphalt and the bike rockets forward. The bicycle becomes an extension of the rider; man and machine become one. There is no other feeling quite like it.

Riding a road bike is, in a way, a spiritual experience. My mind is totally in the moment; concentrating solely on the job in hand. My thoughts are only on the physical effort of propelling the bike forward, and on steering a course on the road ahead.

Other times of the day, if I am not careful, I may slip out of the moment and find my thoughts in the past or in the future. An often futile exercise, as both past and future are only in my mind; only the present or the moment is real.

Negative thoughts are always in the past or future; remembered or imagined. If I am in the moment there cannot be negative thoughts. A three hour bike ride means three hours of mental refreshment; it would take extreme concentration to achieve that by meditation or some like method.

72gmc
04-27-2007, 11:24 AM
It is a good blog. Lots of historical commentary and insights to be found.