PDA

View Full Version : old tubular tires and glue job...trustworthy?

jthurow
04-27-2007, 09:55 AM
So I've picked up my first set of tubular wheels; Mavic Paris-Roubaix SSC Rims & 571/2 hubs with Vittoria Corsa CX Tubular tires. These have been hanging in a garage since they were built and have never been ridden. I've only taken them for short spin around the block to confirm they aren't going to immediately implode.

Dirt suggested that a 20+ year old glue job on 20+ year old tires might not be too trustworthy. Not that I don't trust Dirt but what do you kids think? Should I strip'em and reglue the Vittorias? Or should I just start all over with some new tires? It would give me an excuse to get rid of the nasty red Tubasti glue (yuck) and set these things up for D2R2.

jimi

dirtdigger88
04-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Dirt suggested that a 20+ year old glue job on 20+ year old tires might not be too trustworthy. Not that I don't trust Dirt but what do you kids think? Should I strip'em and reglue the Vittorias? Or should I just start all over with some new tires? It would give me an excuse to get rid of the nasty red Tubasti glue (yuck) and set these things up for D2R2.

jimi

dude- read this part to yourself out loud - you know the answer

just looking out for my ridding buddy- thats all

jason

Too Tall
04-27-2007, 10:40 AM
I wonder what the rest of that rig looks like ????? Curious minds.

Derrrr. Get rid of the old tyres. Chisel off every scrap of that red glue it will re-solve and cause a mess :(

Also, assess if the spoke / nipples are froze. You could be OK but it is worth it to check and if things seem reasonable re-oil the interface at each eyelet.

Now! What bike is this for?

KEWL wheels man :)

My friends have always rode tubulars. Willy Nelson A.C. (after clinchers)

sspielman
04-27-2007, 10:53 AM
So I've picked up my first set of tubular wheels; Mavic Paris-Roubaix SSC Rims & 571/2 hubs with Vittoria Corsa CX Tubular tires. These have been hanging in a garage since they were built and have never been ridden. I've only taken them for short spin around the block to confirm they aren't going to immediately implode

jimi

If you got around the block with those old tires and glue, fate has much bigger plans for you.....

jthurow
04-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Well... I'm hoping to use'm on all my bikes (CSi (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/340136881_8d4e3febfb.jpg) & Lemond (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/346861246_915e904a08.jpg), which now has a yellow Regal on top). But if I set them up for D2R2, I'm thinking they'll be on my Riv Ram, which is usually my commuter. I don't have any pics of it so you'll have to use your imagination but... 3T Morphe bars, 130 Nitto Pearl stem, Berthoud fenders, SunTour Superbe Long Reach brakes, Brooks B17N which usually has a nelson longfap attached, Older Shimano Ultegra post, Old Silver Ritchey Logic 110 cranks set up as a double (48/36) w/ Old Dura Ace front derailleur and SunTour XCPro short cage rear. Though some changes are planned for D2R2.. go triple or go with wider double and I'll probably have to ditch the fenders if I try to go with tires bigger than 27.

Too Tall, good call the frozen nips... is there a better way to check besides just twisting them and possibly messing w/ the tensioning?

Oh, and I definitely must thank jwp who made all this possible by helping me out with a hyperglide freehub body!
:banana: :banana: :banana:

jimi

thwart
04-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Those wheels and tires are definitely unsafe.

In my good deed for the day, I would be willing to take those off your hands. :D
Let me know what you want for shipping.

Too Tall
04-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Nope! Just twist a few and see what you've got. It is acceptable if they are a "little" stuck eg. they wind up the spoke and ultimately come loose that's fine and dandy. Just need to know you can do a field repair.

Cool, that Riv. is perfect. Scout for some dry condition cross tyres...something in a 28-32 is nice. I like the TUFO D28, not pricey and really a great tyre...tons of volume.

Yup, that 110 double is perfect. Go for a pieplate cassette and an XT rear mech.? That's the biz :)

jthurow
04-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Cool, that Riv. is perfect. Scout for some dry condition cross tyres...something in a 28-32 is nice. I like the TUFO D28, not pricey and really a great tyre...tons of volume.

Yup, that 110 double is perfect. Go for a pieplate cassette and an XT rear mech.? That's the biz :)

Dirt has some of the D28s and they do look nice. And I've got a long cage for the XC Pro that should work well with a pieplate. I'll probably loose the 36 inner chainring for a 34, too. Deerfield sounds like a ride where having too low of gears won't be a problem.

jimi