PDA

View Full Version : Different Tire Sizes On A Bike- How Does it Ride?

samtaylor1
04-26-2007, 07:43 PM
I was reading a sheldon brown article on tires (trying to find a fast, smooth tire that will resist pinch flats) and he was writing about some people using 2 different tire widths on the same bike as a good thing. It made sense to me- bigger tire in back less pinch with smaller tire in front for speed? Does it work like that? Does anyone do this (or the reversed order larger in front smaller in back), how does it effect the ride?

I would appreciate all opinions from the racer to the occasional rider.

NOTE- When I say smaller or larger I mean 23 vs. 25 tires not 26 inch by 700 c wheels in case anyone was mistaken

Ahneida Ride
04-26-2007, 09:38 PM
I do exactly this !!!!

I ride with 23 front and 25 Rear. The F1 fork will not accommodate a larger
tire then a 23. I've been riding with this mismatch for years. I highly
endorse this combination.

If my memory is correct, this is not by any means, a rare occurrence
on this forum.

Michelin tires tend to run wide. I am running the Krylion Carbon. :beer:

But there are far more astute riders here and please seek their
distilled wisdom.

dirtdigger88
04-26-2007, 10:17 PM
I did the same thing for the same reason on my csi- a 25c ProRace wont fit under an F1

the two seemed to work well together-

I have since gone to a 24c vittoria- splittin the differance I guess

Jason

Ken Robb
04-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Conti has the Attack twin set that has 22 front and 23 rear.

SoCalSteve
04-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Same on my Serotta Hors Categorie and my Colnago Carbonissimo...Neither bike fork will accomodate Mich Pro Race2 700 x 25's...So, I run the 23's in the front and the 25's in the back.

If I had my druthers, I'd want 25's in the front (as I have this on many other bikes) but remember, I'm 6' 5" and 250 lbs....so, I like lots of rubber beneath me.

It does work and it works well.

Good luck,

Steve

samtaylor1
04-27-2007, 01:35 AM
I am 6'7" 280 (like to get to 265) and the only way I can get away from pinch flats (for a long period of time) is to go big (larger then 25) and I find it so much fun to ride a thinner tire. I will have to see what size the XXX Lite Bontrager fork can work with.

What advantages would there be to switching this order (more academic question?)

Ken Robb
04-27-2007, 11:02 AM
FWIW, my Profile Design AC-1 fork has more clearance than my F1 or Ouzo Pro. I can run Conti 700x25 in the F1 but it's tight.