AgilisMerlin
04-26-2007, 05:53 PM
http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/files/img_0796_788.jpg

musgravecycles
04-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Nice FSA Crankset ;) ...

petitelilpettit
04-26-2007, 08:11 PM
For some reason, it looks like a DA crank...

Hmm..... ;)

Pettit

musgravecycles
04-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Say it ain't so....

Perhaps we've found the infamous dark ano'd DA crankset :rolleyes:

Grant McLean
04-26-2007, 08:42 PM
They're still the stupidest pedals ever.

I said it, sorry if you're offended...

g

SoCalSteve
04-26-2007, 10:55 PM
I've owned that crankset...PITA. Noisy and always required tightening back to spec. I'd never own a FSA Mega-Exo anything ever again.

Now, if they had a black D/A crankset (or carbon) now your talkin'...

Steve

jpw
04-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Looks suspiciously like a flared version of the Coombe pedal body. I assume it is no coincidence that this product had been released only since Coombe went belly up. Design patent sale perhaps?

Elefantino
04-27-2007, 05:57 AM

g

Why do you say that? Just curious, not offended.

AgilisMerlin
04-27-2007, 06:13 AM
looks like the bowties are mounted to ti body, sealed bearing.

wouldn't want that to wack anyone in the shin.

looks cool.

most importlantly - looks expensive.

i am a zero user, and yes - best pedals i have ever used.

:D

Grant McLean
04-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Why do you say that? Just curious, not offended.

Just a personal rant.

From a design point, i think putting all the overly complicated crap
on the bottom of the shoe is a bad idea. When the cleats wear
(and they do...) it tends to let your foot tilt to the outside.

The whole thing seems like a solution in search of a problem.
I'm sure there are lots of people who love them, but i know just
as many who got a hate-on for them after using them for a while.
Most have replaced them with Look Keo's and are very content.

Personally, I don't understand why someone would choose to
pass on the Keo design to use speedplay...that's all. The Look
design is timeless, classic, bulletproof and now the keo's are
a very respectable weight. Look had the sense to not toss out
the baby witht the bath water when they redesigned the original
pedals. Something just about everyone else has done, atmo.

Plus, the carbon body ones are the cat's meow.

g

AgilisMerlin
04-27-2007, 07:49 AM
i like my speedplays. zero's work well. I like the grease ports on all their pedals. Convenient.

i have had x series and frogs. As far as Looks, i have not tried the newer, keo's - but just put a set of keo sprints on my wife's bike for her. She likes them

just got rid of dura ace, could not handle the side to side slip motion. drove me nuts for a year.

the only problem with look pedals is that the spindle breaks. i have personally seen two diff pedals break at the axle, and this has been discussed before and it has happened in the past. I am not worried about it though. My wife is light.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25110&highlight=spindle+broke

don't really see the detractor in speedplay cleats, though. Everything wears.

Len J
04-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Just a personal rant.

Plus, the carbon body ones are the cat's meow.

g

Squeak???!!! :rolleyes:

Just sayin'.

I got so tired of the squak I swore I'd never use Looks again.

Len

samtaylor1
04-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Amerlin

Sorta different subject- but what did you think of the frogs. I want to have the same pedal on my road and cross bike- your opinions?

bironi
04-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Amerlin

Sorta different subject- but what did you think of the frogs. I want to have the same pedal on my road and cross bike- your opinions?

I have been riding both x2 Speedplays and Frogs on my road bikes for years. I would go with the Frogs. You can buy a stiff light weight mtb shoe, and the weight difference is negligable. Walking on recessed cleated shoes wins big time.

ClutchCargo
04-27-2007, 09:44 AM

g

Why on earth would we be offended by your ignorance and lack of aesthetic sensibility ? ? ? :confused:

8->

Bradford
04-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Amerlin

I have X2s on my Legend and Frogs on the tandem, touring bike, and mountain bike.

My X2s are great pedals, but Frogs are easier to use. Now that you can put frog cleats on road shoes, I would have gone with Frogs on all my bikes.

JasonH
04-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Speedplays are the best there is. Any amount of float you want or don't want, and no look/any sided entry. I'd hate to have to go back to toeing my pedals into position to clip in again. It seems like a little thing till you never have to do it.

These look just like all the others minus the plastic part of the housing. Interesting, but a pretty dubious weight savings if that's all it was.

jbrainin
04-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Just a personal rant.

It's easy to limit wear on Speedplays: use cleat covers. If truly worried about cleat wear, once can replace them at the beginning of each cycling year.

Many of those who never adapt to Speedplays are longtime Look-type pedal users who are unable to adapt to the Speedplays for various reasons. These include their pedal stroke is very inconsistent from side to side and the minimal play in Looks limits that tendency while the Speedplays expose it. Also, some never get used to having the cleat grip the pedal rather than the other way around.

One primary reason for me to use Speedplays is that they enable to engage and disengage the pedal much more quickly than those who use Look or Time pedal systems. This is based on about fifteen years of observation during group rides. Invariably, it is those riders who use Speedplays who are moving first.

Plus, the carbon body ones are the cat's meow. They make cute paperweights! :D

Bob Ross
04-27-2007, 10:53 AM
One primary reason for me to use Speedplays is that they enable to engage and disengage the pedal much more quickly than those who use Look or Time pedal systems. This is based on about fifteen years of observation during group rides. Invariably, it is those riders who use Speedplays who are moving first.

+1

I got Frogs when I first went clipless because (among other things) being new to clipless riding I wanted a pedal I could get *out* of quickly. What I've come to realize is that the primary strength of Frogs -- as well as, apparently, Zero's & X's -- is how quickly you can get *in* to them.

On group rides I'm always hearing the Look users still clipping in 30 seconds after we've pulled away from a stop.

thejen12
04-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Amerlin

I recently tried to switch from X2s to Frogs on my road bike. I found I missed the tactile feel (and sound) of clipping in to the X2s, with the Frogs I often wasn't sure if I was really clipped in.

A bigger problem for me was the Q-factor. The stainless steel X2 and the Frog have the same spindle length, but on my road shoes I move the cleat all the way to the outside to get my feet closer to the bike. I couldn't do that with Frogs and mtb shoes. I don't know if I could have done that with Frog cleats on road shoes, but the main reason I wanted to switch was to use mtb shoes for easier walking. My PT measured my optimal Q-factor, and, as a result, I recently switched to the ti X2s with the shorter spindle and am even happier.

I'll probably keep the Frogs on my rainy-weather commute bike, but not on my main road bike.

Jenn

Orin
04-27-2007, 11:31 AM
i like my speedplays. zero's work well. I like the grease ports on all their pedals. Convenient.

i have had x series and frogs. As far as Looks, i have not tried the newer, keo's - but just put a set of keo sprints on my wife's bike for her. She likes them

just got rid of dura ace, could not handle the side to side slip motion. drove me nuts for a year.

the only problem with look pedals is that the spindle breaks. i have personally seen two diff pedals break at the axle, and this has been discussed before and it has happened in the past. I am not worried about it though. My wife is light.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25110&highlight=spindle+broke

don't really see the detractor in speedplay cleats, though. Everything wears.

We had a Seattle area rider have one break while standing taking a rest. The fall can be very bad... a quote from the rider a few weeks back:

"A little thing like a breaking a spindle on a pedal can really set you back. My Femer was pushed into my pelvis and cracked it in three places, then the Femer dislocated. It took three days of traction and nearly 7 hours of surgery to put me back together. The hard part was the waiting for the pelvis to heal (6 weeks) before I could put weight on that leg. I have just reached that stage, the doctors at Harborview will tell me tomorrow. Here is hoping..."

Orin.

yetirich
04-27-2007, 03:29 PM
That is a DA crankset but it appears that those are either the Flanders or PR bikes...note the green Vittoria Pave CX tires and regular box rims.

This could only mean on thing..They dont want to use carbon cranks for those races for whatever reason. I also saw a pic of Ballan's bike and he had a set of Chorus cranks on...aluminum version also.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/apr07/roubaix07/tech/index.php?id=/photos/2007/tech/features/ballan_leroi_roubaix/gbBallan04

I will give them props for the screening of the FSA logo on it.

I do belive that the more surface area that you have on the pedals, the less problem you will have with hot spots on your feet and shoes. They are cool, but nothing to write home about.

Back to the discussion......Thanks

mwos
04-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Speedplays = happy knees! :)

Kathi

musgravecycles
04-27-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm with grant...speedplay's sucked.

MUCH happier with DA...

AgilisMerlin
04-27-2007, 06:22 PM
can i have your old pair :D

bironi
04-27-2007, 06:26 PM
I recently tried to switch from X2s to Frogs on my road bike. I found I missed the tactile feel (and sound) of clipping in to the X2s, with the Frogs I often wasn't sure if I was really clipped in.

A bigger problem for me was the Q-factor. The stainless steel X2 and the Frog have the same spindle length, but on my road shoes I move the cleat all the way to the outside to get my feet closer to the bike. I couldn't do that with Frogs and mtb shoes. I don't know if I could have done that with Frog cleats on road shoes, but the main reason I wanted to switch was to use mtb shoes for easier walking. My PT measured my optimal Q-factor, and, as a result, I recently switched to the ti X2s with the shorter spindle and am even happier.

I'll probably keep the Frogs on my rainy-weather commute bike, but not on my main road bike.

Jenn

If you like the low q-factor, you might want to try the Mavic starfish model 631, like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAVIC-631-Starfish-Crankset-Kurbeln-170mm-NEW-RARE-NOS_W0QQitemZ180110517274QQihZ008QQcategoryZ56195Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am not the seller, but I own three sets of these cranks. I too love being tight to the frame. I go back and forth between my fixed with old Campy Record crank and Frogs, to the Mavic crank with x2's, and I don't notice a difference.

Byron

musgravecycles
04-27-2007, 06:37 PM
can i have your old pair :D

I tried them when I got my Rocket 7's. I sold them 2 months later to a training pal (this was several years ago), otherwise I'd of been happy to trade my Zero Ti's for your DA!

I just couldn't get used to the entry/release. But to a larger extent, could never eliminate the hot spots (I do have big wide feet, hence the R7's).

I'm much happier with my DA with fixed cleats.

To each his own...

Grant McLean
04-27-2007, 06:44 PM
To each his own...

no no no !

If speedplay fans keep posting their virtues,
i'm sure i'll see the error of my ways, and convert!

:)

g

dirtdigger88
04-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Grant-

no you wont- speedplays do suck

Jason

Grant McLean
04-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Grant-

no you wont- speedplays do suck

Jason

Can i at least yell at the damn kids to get off my lawn?
We can all agree on that, can't we?

g

dirtdigger88
04-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Can i at least yell at the damn kids to get off my lawn?
We can all agree on that, can't we?

g

yes

Jason

TAW
04-27-2007, 11:05 PM
why people like Speedplays. I mounted some of them for a friend since she's sponsored by them. You have to consistently lube the cleats and pedals, the screws that mount the cleat to the adapter plate have to have loctite on them to keep them on, and there's not a huge weight difference when you add the pedal and the cleat weight together compared to Look or Time.