PDA

View Full Version : italian bottom bracket question ?

AgilisMerlin
04-26-2007, 04:21 PM
anyone know the direction to loosen italian bottom bracket cups.

drive and non drive side.

thanks ahead of time

jthurow
04-26-2007, 04:37 PM
both sides have right-hand threads, see http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bottom.

jimi

Peter P.
04-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Counter-clockwise, both sides, loosens.

Steve Hampsten
04-26-2007, 05:29 PM
righty-tighty/lefty-loosey (for Italian bbs)

use plenty of LocTite on that right-hand cup, y'hear?

Ray
04-26-2007, 05:48 PM
righty-tighty/lefty-loosey (for Italian bbs)

use plenty of LocTite on that right-hand cup, y'hear?
C'mon Steve, its so much FUN to watch that sucker unthread before your eyes while riding. Everyone should have that experience at least once.

Nothing like stopping every couple of miles to screw it back in and start all over again. :crap:

-Ray

-dustin
04-26-2007, 06:02 PM
C'mon Steve, its so much FUN to watch that sucker unthread before your eyes while riding. Everyone should have that experience at least once.

Nothing like stopping every couple of miles to screw it back in and start all over again. :crap:

-Ray
is that still an issue now with cartridge bearings?

BdaGhisallo
04-27-2007, 05:18 AM
God only knows why the Italian bb thread standard was created. Why did they not carry that idea over to their pedals, so the left pedal could unthread during your ride to complement the right cup unthreading.

I am still amazed that Dario still uses italian threads in his bb's. Sure you can tighten the hell out of them or loctite and teflon tape the right side threads as is always mentioned whenever this comes up, but why? Why create that need and that potential for problems? Just doesn't make sense!!

Ray
04-27-2007, 05:47 AM
is that still an issue now with cartridge bearings?
Yeah, it is - that's what I was using on my most memorable Italian BB ride. I gotta figure the same thing applies with the new outboard bearings too. It's not about the BB as much as the pedal motion tending to unthread the cup, rather than tightening it, as it does with the English threading.

-Ray

stevep
04-27-2007, 05:51 AM
God only knows why the Italian bb thread standard was created. Why did they not carry that idea over to their pedals, so the left pedal could unthread during your ride to complement the right cup unthreading.

I am still amazed that Dario still uses italian threads in his bb's. Sure you can tighten the hell out of them or loctite and teflon tape the right side threads as is always mentioned whenever this comes up, but why? Why create that need and that potential for problems? Just doesn't make sense!!

they make great pizza in italy.

engineering? different question.
different answer.

Too Tall
04-27-2007, 06:45 AM
Loctite???? Wazzzat? Look, that std. was dev. before any cheesey light alum. cups were in use and they used manly tools that required two people to install the cup...no sissy winding the bearing in by hand and torquing to INCH POUNDs...oh gawd is that WEAK :rolleyes:

Anywho, Dario is a team player yah think?

labratmatt
04-27-2007, 08:32 AM
I never had a problem with my Italian BB loosening on my De Rosa. The key is to use the torque wrench and tighten it to specs. No issues.