PDA

View Full Version : In-line skating

kgrooney
04-26-2007, 07:43 AM
I will be doing a considerable amount of traveling this summer and packing the bike will not be an option. I was considering purchasing a pair of skates to maintain fitness.
Is any one an experienced skater who can provide insight?

Blastinbob
04-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Skating is a great workout for your legs. Take some running shoes too, it's all good.

erikbrooks
04-26-2007, 10:57 AM
I really like the way that my body feels when I skate - I let my arms swing, turning it into a full body exercise. Actually I usually use cross country ski poles, since I race XC. Those would be out for travelling, tho.

The main downside to skating, atmo, is that there are limited places to do it safely. The brakes aren't great, so I don't feel safe on the road with cars, tho I see some skaters do it. Here in Seattle there are about 4 decent places. If I took the skates travelling, I'd want to find a good source of info about where I could actually do it, and figure a way to get there.

Running, on the other hand, is pretty much available anywhere, especially if you are willing to run on sidewalks. That's my call for exercise while travelling, which fortunately I very rarely need to do.

Karin Kirk
04-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Nice choice - in line skating is a fun way to train! Running is probably simpler in terms of packing and getting a workout, but running is not much fun.

Here's my two cents about skating-
Wear a helmet and some padding - it's pretty easy to lose your balance, esp on uneven pavement.

I prefer the skates that have 4 wheels, all of which are the same size. The 5 wheel speed-skate kind seem to require more ideal pavement so you can really crank along. That said, you also don't want the 'street skate' kind, with the smaller wheels. Those are for skate parks. So I recommend the 'recreational/fitness' type of skate. (Side note: playing in a skate park is very fun in that sketchy sort of way - a terrific balance workout!)

If you are traveling to unfamiliar places, it may take awhile to find the right pavement. Case in point, I was skating in Boston, along the Charles River, which is a really popular path. I was zipping along, loving life when I came to a cobblestone section. I didn't have time to slow down or change course, so I just did the "stay light" move that I learned from mountain biking. I survived but it gave me a scare!

When you first get your skates, go to a smooth, flat, wide area to get your bearings. It takes awhile to figure out how to control your speed and slow down (there are a few different methods).

My favorite type of workout is hill repeats. I skate up as fast and smooth as I can, then I skate down, making alpine ski turns. Rinse. Repeat. Fun!

Here's an article I wrote a few years ago about in-line skate training for skiing.
http://www.psia-nrm.org/articles/in-line_skate.htm

Good luck!

myette10
04-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Get wheels that are appropriate for the surface you'll be on: hard for rough pavement & concrete, softer for hard plastic sport court surfaces, and super soft for wood roller rink flooring. Matching your wheels to the surface will greatly increase your enjoyment and longevity of the equipment. Rotate them often as well, keeping the wear as even as possible on each wheel.

The only other advice other than what has been given is to stretch those IT bands: skating tends to promote tightness in this area (leg abducted through the entire motion).

Ginger
04-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Let's see...For years I used to speed skate for fun...and spent time as a skate guard at a local skate place.

1. Wear a helmet. A good skatepark style full coverage rear thing...ugly, but I've seen way too much blood on the cement to not wear one. And the full rear coverage is important! Also, the rounded back rather than a cycle helmet pointy back...

2. Wear gloves/wrist guards. They won't prevent a break, but they move it up from the wrist to bones that are easier to set and heal than your wrist bones. If you type at all for a living, you'll want that. The cast for a broken wrist is more confining than for a broken arm.

3. If you're planning on skating outdoors a lot, don't develop a long stride (like old fashioned ice speed skaters) It's beautiful and feels fantastic, but if your weight is on the wrong skate when you go over trash...you're apt to go down. And I have worse scars from yard saling on skates than any bicycle crash I've been in yet. (knock on wood) Keep it shorter, look into the double push stuff. etc etc.

4. Get boots that fit, give you the ankle support you need (some need more than others) that also allow you to change your frames. With a decent fitness/speed boot you can switch between shorter 4 wheel frames and longer 5 wheel frames depending on what terrain you find when you arrive at your destination. Unlike Karin, I prefer the 5 wheel skates for outdoors on rough pavement. The longer frame allows you to survive irregular pavement easier. I'm not much on changing wheels for terrain...not that much of a gear jockey. (Heck, I've seen some super long frames with knobby wheels for off-road skating...no thanks, but if your pavement sucks, you might consider adding those to your arsenal.)

5. Take a couple lessons on different stopping techniques and how to fall. Sounds silly, but those brakes on the back of the skates aren't stoppers, they're invitations to stop. But there are plenty of ways to stop RIGHT NOW without brakes... Your skate shop will either be able to point you in the direction of a good instructor, or may have classes.

6. Always start braking at the top of a hill, don't expect brakes to have any effect if you start using them after you've built up speed part way down the hill.

7. If you think your skates are slow, all you probably need to do is upgrade the bearings. They have some nice ceramics out there...but Abec 5 or higher is better than any ABEC 1...I run the Bonz bearings...(I think they're Abec 7 or better?) and I usually strip out the grease and lube them with oil, takes more maintenance, but sometimes you have the time.

Hope all that gives you some ideas

Have fun!
Ginger

Dekonick
04-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Anyone ever try the 2 wheel skate? (BIG wheels, offset so they touch ground under the center of your boot, but extend up as high as your ankle - you often see 'the dog whisperer' taking dog's out for walks with them...) They look like they would be more bump friendly.

What about wheel types for outdoor track? The high schools around here have ruberized tracks and it seems like they could make a good place to learn...

Just curious...

Oh - Ginger - thanks for the Sram goodies. Got 'em today! :banana: