PDA

View Full Version : Plastic insert on Campy FD

goldyjackson
04-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Quick question I still have after searching long and hard: Do I need that plastic insert thing on the FD if I'm using a wipperman 10s chain on a compact crank? There doesn't seem to be any way to get the chain not to rub against it. I'm under the impression now (always dangerous after searching the internet!) that this piece of plastic is for narrow 10s chains. Will it be fine if I just take it out? Will I die a slow horrible death? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks for your help.

Too Tall
04-26-2007, 07:12 AM
Yeah yeah I know what you are talking about about and yeah we'll make fun of you for taking it out...not really ;). The outside plate of the fr. der. should angle slightly tail in twords the seattube....that's prolly your issue.

sspielman
04-26-2007, 08:08 AM
...or your front derailleur is mounted too low...2-3 mm from the bottom of the outer cage to the large chainring teeth is about right.

zap
04-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Keep the plastic insert.

Try adding more tension to the front derailleur cable so that the insert side of the derailleur cage moves away from the chain. You might need to adjust the outer limit screw a tad so that the derailleur can move a wee bit further out.

goldyjackson
04-26-2007, 05:18 PM
A combination of the limit screw and toeing (sp?) it in a little bit has cured me of this ailment. Thanks for the help!