PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Open House

Serotta_Leslie
04-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Well... it’s a heck of thing to get hired as the Director of Marketing and Communications by a company you love that makes bikes you love, and one of the first things you have to do is deliver some not very good news to your best customers. But, that’s the spot I’m in.

After reading through the thread of Serotta Open House emails and seeing how many of you have already made plans, it’s not easy to be the one that has to tell you Serotta has decided to cancel the Open House planned for June in Saratoga Springs.

The reason is pretty simple. We have a lot, and I mean a lot, going on. As fast as we are adding new staff, we’re still stretched pretty thin. And, we just don’t feel like we would be able to pull off a June Open House in a style that lives up to the quality of our brand name. So, we made the difficult decision to cancel the event.

BUT – WE HAVE AN AMAZING GROUP OF SEROTTA OWNERS.

When we told Pete McKeon we were thinking about canceling the event, he and Smiley and Karen and a few others decided that they would put together a great weekend of riding and camaraderie in Saratoga Springs themselves. So there is a gang of riders that is still coming to ride and eat and laugh - and they are inviting all of you to do the same… they’re even inviting Ben and I - and we are going to join in on the rides.

Here’s their official invitation (http://www.evite.com/app/publicUrl/magoo252@comcast.net/girodeltoga) . But if you want to voice a complaint, here’s how you get to me leslie@serotta.com. (Then again… you might want to wait and just kick my butt up the first big hill!)

I look forward to getting to know you under better circumstances - with two wheels and the road under us. Thanks for your understanding and tremendous loyalty to Serotta.

Sandy
04-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Leslie,

There is a sticky thread on the Open House in the General Discussion area. I would suggest deleting that thread and putting a sticky one there about the cancellation of the Open House, as viewers and posters have seen that thread for a while.

Suggesting Snail Slow Serotta Sandy

Tom
04-26-2007, 04:35 AM
and I live right down the road but I was probably not going to make any of it... so I can imagine how you guys were stretched thin.

Given that the Cambridge Balloon Festival race is happening Saturday and the local MS century is Sunday, a lot of the locals were going to be distracted.

I think what it has transitioned into with the people like Smiley and Pete and BBDave and the others taking the reins is mostly what it was all about for a lot of the people anyway.

I think you guys are smart. If you can't pull it off first class to your own standards, much better not to cobble something together that isn't up to those standards, and decide early enough so people can pull out of committments in an orderly fashion.

Kevin
04-26-2007, 06:22 AM
Maybe next year. :beer:

Kevin

Ti Designs
04-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Please understand where I'm coming from. I've been to a total of one Serotta Event - Ben's trip to Belmont Wheelworks. Talk that night had lots of empty seats and about two boxes of Oreo cookies per person (I pulled my weight there!). The ride in the morning saw Ben and Steve from Serotta out, myself and John Allis from Wheelworks, even Matt from IF - and two forum members! After trying to get a Boston area ride together I've come to the conclusion that it would take an act of God to make it happen. God's a busy guy, so I figured Ben would be my second choice. Well, I guess Ben is also a busy guy. Not to take anything away from Pete or Smiley, but it hardly has the same pull as the official Serotta open house.

That said, I am going to this Giro del Toga (is anyone going to explain that name to me? Cycling and Togas just don't mix well, I keep getting my bed sheet caught in the chain) and I hope for the best. Pete, this is my first planned vacation in many, many years - there's a lot of pressure on you. It had better be one hell of an event, or I had better have at least a dozen bottles of red so I'm so drunk I don't notice...

Just something for the folks at Serotta to think about: If everyone is too busy to ride their bikes, y'all are out of a job. Sometimes it's better to ride than to work. Now if only my boss would catch on...

Smiley
04-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Ti Man , one very big reason I had planned and looked forward to coming to Toga as in Saratoga was to finally meet you. Its really about meeting some of the really good guys on this forum is why we wanted to make Giro Del Toga happen this year. Looking forward to sharing some of Pete's red with you :)

Serotta PETE
04-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Guess I better plan on a case......

Ti Man , one very big reason I had planned and looked forward to coming to Toga as in Saratoga was to finally meet you. Its really about meeting some of the really good guys on this forum is why we wanted to make Giro Del Toga happen this year. Looking forward to sharing some of Pete's red with you :)

David Kirk
04-30-2007, 09:47 AM
So.............is there a schedule and/or list of events?

I'm thinking a trip back East to visit my parents and ride some of the best roads in the country might be fun.

Dave

Serotta PETE
04-30-2007, 10:05 AM
David, would love to see you........PETE

I'm thinking a trip back East to visit my parents and ride some of the best roads in the country might be fun.

Dave

Host: Smiley & Karen El-Abd, Pete McKeon
189 Broadway, Sarotoga Springs, NY
View Map
When: Thursday, June 7, 4:00pm

Although the Serotta Open House is cancelled, there is no need to cancel your plans to ride around Saratoga Springs. We're proud to announce an alternative weekend event for riding and socializing -- brought to you by fellow Serotta Owners.

Event Itinerary
Thursday June 7
4:00pm 25-30 mile ride (location TBD)
7:00pm Social Hour (location TBD; cash bar)
Dinner on your own

Friday June 8
10:00am 30 or 60 mile ride start (location TBD)
2:00pm 30 mile ride start (location TBD)
6:30pm Social Hour (poolside at Springs Motel; BYOB)
8:00pm Group Dinner (estimated cost $25 per person, please RSVP. Depending on number of people, we'll get one reservation or several reservations at several restaurants)

Saturday June 9
8:00am Pre-ride Breakfast (poolside at Springs Motel)
9:00am 30 or 60 mile ride start (location TBD)
2:00pm post-ride barbecue (location TBD, $15 per person, BYOB)

Sunday June 10
8:00am Pre-ride Breakfast (poolside at Springs Motel)
9:00am 25-30 mile ride start (location TBD)

Rides will be group/social rides, and riders are encouraged to stay will similarly conditioned riders. Come prepared to climb hills. Limited sag support will be available via cell phone. All ride participants will be required to wear a helmet and sign a waiver of liability. This event is volunteer run and not a Serotta officially sponsored event.

Andiamo ciclare!

Smiley
04-30-2007, 10:19 AM

Dave
Link up to the e-vite Dave and bring the Lovely Karin with you. Maybe we can get her to take us off road for some dirt riding .

Climb01742
04-30-2007, 10:31 AM
dave, it would be great to finally meet you. hope you can come.

Serot
05-05-2007, 01:47 PM
test :banana: :banana:

Serot
05-05-2007, 01:54 PM
:banana: :banana: :fight: :argue: :crap: test?