PDA

View Full Version : Replaceable Derailleur Hangers?

benb
04-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Do Serotta's frames have replaceable derailleur hangers?

I don't see this mentioned... if they don't, and yours gets bent.. how difficult is it to have them fixed?

jpw
04-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Do Serotta's frames have replaceable derailleur hangers?

I don't see this mentioned... if they don't, and yours gets bent.. how difficult is it to have them fixed?

Not that I know of.

Other builders do seem to go that way, but not Serotta.

If it gets bent then bend it back VERY slowly and you might be lucky. If not you need a repair; $ k'ching!!

benb
04-24-2007, 04:51 PM
I hope that just means the dropouts (Ti) are overbuilt then..

I did end up replacing the dropout on my last bike after a crash. They didn't look bent but the shifting was off and the dropout was a very cheap fix to try and get rid of the gremlins.

Ozz
04-24-2007, 05:14 PM
My understanding is that you can repair steel and ti hangers....it's the aluminum ones that break if you try and bend them back, hence replaceable hangers.

Brian Smith
04-24-2007, 05:36 PM
The 3D dropouts are quite durable and tough to bend.
In my time at Serotta I have seen zero frames with them come back for derailer hanger repairs, and every bent one I've seen has been on a frame with more serious damage as well, such as crumpled stays from impact with massive objects like automobiles.

That said, if you do bend one from something as mild as laying it down in a crash, chances are good that it would be able to be straightened.

benb
04-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Ok, Thanks for the clarification. I figured that might be the case and my old bike did have an aluminum drop out.

I'm all for durable & hard to break. I just saw an ad for a new Lemond in Velonews tonight that was bragging about having carbon dropouts. No Thanks!

I ordered a Concours last night and the dropout popped into my head as something I had forgotten to check beforehand.