PDA

View Full Version : Ottrott XC

Jack Brunk
04-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Does anybody have any imput on this model. Like an idiot I've started the process of building one so any inside info would be nice. I want to do some ultra endurance races and I think the Ottrott XC would be the weapon of choice.

Thoughts?

jeffg
04-24-2007, 01:49 AM
That migt help folks ...

cs124
04-24-2007, 05:12 AM
Assuming you're talking about MTB marathon type stuff, I'd suggest something full suspension like a Maverick. Nothing against the Ottrott, but 6+ hours in the saddle offroad...you'll be looking for all the "cush" you can get.

Good luck, can't wait to see pics and read stories!

gdw
04-24-2007, 10:50 AM
If you already bought one, build it up and have fun. If not, save your money and buy a ti frame like the TiMax if you like hardtails. The Ottrott XC is a cool bike but the carbon and ti combination doesn't offer any advantages over a ti frame when it comes to offroad racing. Hardtails are light and reliable but you might want to look into some of the more efficient full suspensions designs if you are new to off road riding or racing. The Titus Racer X, Giant Anthem, Santa Cruz Blur, or single pivot designs like the Santa Cruz Superlight are reliable designs. Build your frame up with light but proven components and wheels which don't require proprietary spokes and have fun.

Jack Brunk
04-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys for the imput. I already have a Moots Ti smoothie and an Ibis silk Ti so I have the full suspension thing covered. I really like a hardtail ride so i have no problem being on the trail for six plus hours on a hardtail.

jpw
04-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Does anybody have any imput on this model. Like an idiot I've started the process of building one so any inside info would be nice. I want to do some ultra endurance races and I think the Ottrott XC would be the weapon of choice.

Thoughts?

Do you have a key to the Serotta works?

gdw
04-24-2007, 11:47 AM
If you are getting a custom ti hardtail, build one which will take wider tires and has fittings for mounting a rear rack. There are an awful lot of unsupported ultra's -Kokepelli Trail Race, Grand Loop, Double White Rim, Arizona Trail, etc,- which require the rider to carry all the gear necessary to complete the race. The extra fittings don't add any real weight and will prove useful if you decide to get adventurous while wider tires add a little more cushion and work well in loose conditions.

Too Tall
04-24-2007, 12:12 PM
If you are set on wheel size I can't really see anything to change. Depending on the course and duration of the race course loops/point to point etc. you'd be well served to look at a set of drop bars vs flat bars.

Can you say what events you have in mind...wild dog you :)

Jack Brunk
04-24-2007, 12:53 PM
If you are getting a custom ti hardtail, build one which will take wider tires and has fittings for mounting a rear rack. There are an awful lot of unsupported ultra's -Kokepelli Trail Race, Grand Loop, Double White Rim, Arizona Trail, etc,- which require the rider to carry all the gear necessary to complete the race. The extra fittings don't add any real weight and will prove useful if you decide to get adventurous while wider tires add a little more cushion and work well in loose conditions.

Man, thanks for that advice. I hadn't even considered racks . I have now.

Thanks.

Jack Brunk
04-24-2007, 12:55 PM
If you are set on wheel size I can't really see anything to change. Depending on the course and duration of the race course loops/point to point etc. you'd be well served to look at a set of drop bars vs flat bars.

Can you say what events you have in mind...wild dog you :)

I'm working on the choices right now. Brian head 100, Leadville 100 and they'll be others but I'm in planning mode right know.

Too Tall
04-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Neat. Dreaming up new adventures...nice!

gt6267a
04-24-2007, 01:17 PM
have you tried the big wheels? i don't know if they are popular for long distance races, but i like them a lot.

what about a ybb. a hard tail that takes a little edge off? i have the JV version in the salsa dos niner and like it a lot.

sevencyclist
04-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Make sure Serotta design in enough space on the headtube below the downtube so that the top of fork (controls for Fox fork) would not hit the downtube with extreme turns. You certainly don't want to end up with a cracked carbon downtube after a small crash that turns your front wheel .

Jack Brunk
04-24-2007, 03:02 PM
have you tried the big wheels? i don't know if they are popular for long distance races, but i like them a lot.

what about a ybb. a hard tail that takes a little edge off? i have the JV version in the salsa dos niner and like it a lot.
Not as of yet. if I decide to try one, I'd go a little cheaper the first time. I'm happy on regular wheels so the Ottrott will be normal size.

Jack Brunk
04-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Make sure Serotta design in enough space on the headtube below the downtube so that the top of fork (controls for Fox fork) would not hit the downtube with extreme turns. You certainly don't want to end up with a cracked carbon downtube after a small crash that turns your front wheel .

SC,

Thanks for the tip. I make sure to mention to my LBS.

pdonk
04-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Ibis silk Ti

Pictures please, i always wanted one and have only seen a few. The plate chainstays and ibis mystique have always intrigued me.

Another custom ti option may be a Steve Potts.

aLexis
04-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Bent ti down tube.

link
04-24-2007, 06:26 PM
I really like the idea of a 29er for myself ...preferably with YBB to take some edge off. A suspension SP would work fine for going up but not much good for going down. I think this is the advantage of a soft tail.

I started looking at Seven's Sola 29er and I have found that CS length could be tigher and BB height higher to bring back a quicker handling characteristic. Seven wasn't very receptive to altering the geo. So I've turned my eye to Mooto X 29er. I like their sliding dropouts for SS/geared conversion. I'd check with Serotta regarding the CS and BB.

The Ottrott XC/29er is truly a lust item in term of material fabrication. Although, I'm not sold on the benefit of carbon in an offroad application other than weight.

Regardless, very, very cool bike.

Jack Brunk
04-24-2007, 10:44 PM
I really like the idea of a 29er for myself ...preferably with YBB to take some edge off. A suspension SP would work fine for going up but not much good for going down. I think this is the advantage of a soft tail.

I started looking at Seven's Sola 29er and I have found that CS length could be tigher and BB height higher to bring back a quicker handling characteristic. Seven wasn't very receptive to altering the geo. So I've turned my eye to Mooto X 29er. I like their sliding dropouts for SS/geared conversion. I'd check with Serotta regarding the CS and BB.

The Ottrott XC/29er is truly a lust item in term of material fabrication. Although, I'm not sold on the benefit of carbon in an offroad application other than weight.

Regardless, very, very cool bike.

I have tried a 29er and have really reviewed a lot of data on the difference between the two wheel sizes. I could tell a difference when climbing and the larger wheel was harder for me. I think that a more powerful/larger rider would have better success with the 29 wheel. It's not for me. Maybe a few years from now when there's a larger selection of top level components. I'l take the Ottrott XC in normal wheel size.