PDA

View Full Version : poll , what is your next car purchase ?

Smiley
04-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Given the state of $4 gasoline what will you buy next ?

If and when the new Volvo C 30 gas mileage estimates come out,and these look good then Maybe that is the new rig , otherwise its a used 2007 MINI COOPER.

vandeda
04-23-2007, 07:37 PM
I figure I'll replace my Grand Prix once it hits 100k miles or so, which will be in another 3 years since I'm doing about 5000 miles a year. What will I get? Probably something used, inexpensive and 4-cyl because my car is for when I can't ride to my destination, and I just don't care about cars much anymore.

yeah, kinda boring, but that's ok :banana:

jeffg
04-23-2007, 07:41 PM

If and when the new Volvo C 30 gas mileage estimates come out,and these look good then Maybe that is the new rig , otherwise its a used 2007 MINI COOPER.

Based on European estimates the Cooper gets better mileage.

We love our 2007 Cooper S

Moosedryvr
04-23-2007, 07:46 PM
As I said in another post, give these little cars a serious look. I'm averaging 33 mpg in DC traffic and unbelievably I can fit my 58 cm bike (sans front wheel) behind the front seats. I saw in Honda's literature how they said a bike would fit in the back seat with the seat cushions in the raised position, but figured they had used (and probably did) a 52 cm frame or some such thing. Stopped by my dealer one day when I saw one sitting outside and said I wanted to see if my bike would fit. All the salesmen came out to watch and thought I was nuts, but lo and behold it just squeezed in there (59 cm TT would not make it!). Two hours later me and my new commuter mobile were on my way and my gas milage had doubled.
All this and paddle shifters (yes, you too can pretend you're Michael Schumacher during your blazing 12 second 0-60 run) for ~ $16,500 (Fit Sport AT).

Shawn G

Smiley
04-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Based on European estimates the Cooper gets better mileage.

We love our 2007 Cooper S
Jeff, why not the new Diesel for the Mini ?

csm
04-23-2007, 07:47 PM
another honda element. or obtuse's fiat.

AMH
04-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Waiting for the X5/X6 diesel.

mikki
04-23-2007, 07:51 PM
My next car will need to be some type of SUV that is a hybrid (don't think the Lexus' are high enough gas mileage yet) since I haul my bike (and usuallly either my husband's or a friends) for bike rides up and down the west coast. Would LOVE to get 40 miles per gallon but the "green vehicles" don't make many vehicles large enough to house two bikes.

My current SUV (1999 Lexus 300) has 118,000 miles on it and eats too much gas.

Hopefully some manufacturer will fill that niche by the time my car bites the dust.

CSIRider
04-23-2007, 07:54 PM

Next car? My Volvo 240 SW that easily accomodates 3 bikes isn't even 18 yet and amazingly still has less than 300,000 on it. Smiley, pose the same question ten years from now and I may have a different answer, but the thought of a new car when mine isn't even broken in yet hasn't entered my mind.

ThasFACE
04-23-2007, 07:57 PM
E39 M5. Hopefully by the end of this year. Driving is not just a means of transport for me.

RPS
04-23-2007, 07:59 PM
If gas goes to $4.00 a gallon, I'll consider a diesel motorcycle similar to this one that gets 102 MPG.

Too Tall
04-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Yak Bob trailer.

1happygirl
04-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Since I just looked at cars, it is not about gas mileage for me as just about any new (or new to me) car will get better mileage then what I have. I am considering a Honda Element (will sleep me and the bike(s); esp. a Bike Friday) OR a Chrysler Town and Country. Two disperate vehicles, would have already had the Element but the Henry Ford Model A interior (you can have any color as long as it's black and plastic) is a negative. It's esp. uncool (no pun intended) in the 110 degree heat I live in. Looks like it'll be the WHITE Town and Country with stow n' go. * Uhhhhh. So I guess it's not about image either, as a former sportscar owner.

* No children or soccer practice (except for me). Just bikes n' dogs.

jeffg
04-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Jeff, why not the new Diesel for the Mini ?

I would jump on it.

New Euro diesels drive great and get great mileage.

Grant McLean
04-23-2007, 08:23 PM
A Sachs and a Weigle.

:)

g

TMB
04-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Sometime toward the end of next year probably, a VW Jetta wagon, with diesel engine.

Should be the last car I ever have to buy.

David Kirk
04-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Real car - Honda Fit or Smart car

Toy Car - Caterham R300

Dave

scrooge
04-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Real car - Honda Fit or Smart car...

You'll fit in one of those?

David Kirk
04-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Yep. They both have plenty of headroom and the smart has even more legroom than the fit.

Both cool.

Dave

Cinci Jim
04-23-2007, 09:00 PM
I hate to say it, but since my employer gives me a new car every year at no cost to me, with free gas, maintenance & insurance... I'm getting a Toyota Rav$ with the V6 & AWD.

Next year It will either be either a Sequoia or Landcruiser, as both models go through full body change this year. The new Sequoia is a monster! Take a look at the new Tundra CrewMax for an idea.

But then I have always loved the Landcruiser.

rounder
04-23-2007, 09:06 PM
if i were buying today...only two people in the family so i would get a small car with a 4 cyl that i could get my bike inside (that handled). would love an A3 if it were less than 30 k...and the bike fit.

mso
04-23-2007, 09:11 PM
We just brought at Toyota Prius. We're averaging around 40-45mpg combined hwy/city. Love going to the gas station, pulling in behind a huge SUV or Truck, filling up and leaving before he or she is even half full :) And when it's on battery...very cool.

eddief
04-23-2007, 09:12 PM
http://www.smartusa.com/index.html

at a dealer near you next year.

The smart fortwo has a trunk which will accommodate active lifestyles. Surprisingly, the fortwo has 8 cubic feet of storage space – 12 feet if you load up to the roof line. This area can easily fit numerous bags of groceries, gym bags and other items that are commonly transported every day, including golf clubs! The trunk can also accommodate many sizes of luggage making trips to the airport convenient.

The front passenger seat also folds down creating additional space for other items such as skis.

justinf
04-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Looming on the horizon: one 15-passenger Ford Econoline F-350.
So much for fuel efficiency. . . alas, a necessity of my industry.

just bought a fun personal car, however: a lightly used 996. recommended.

Avispa
04-23-2007, 09:35 PM
I already have my next car! It is my fun Vespa GTS 250... Currently getting 70+ MPG.

Waiting for the X5/X6 diesel.

Now, the above mentioned car... That will be nice! When I had an X5, I really enjoyed that one almost as much as I enjoy my scooter now ;) ;)

myette10
04-23-2007, 09:37 PM
a used, small, inexpensive toyota that is gets north of 34 mpg. there are more important things in life to spend my money on than payments, petrol, insurance, or maintenance for a big hunk of metal that spends 99% of the day sitting in my driveway or in a parking lot.

cmg
04-23-2007, 10:06 PM
a used, small, inexpensive toyota that is gets north of 34 mpg. there are more important things in life to spend my money on than payments, petrol, insurance, or maintenance for a big hunk of metal that spends 99% of the day sitting in my driveway or in a parking lot.

yep, a used toyota for about $3500. drive it until the motor explodes. spend my money on toys.......

huey
04-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Cars pay my bills, I'm an Audi service consultant. Currently driving an 04 A4 3.0 Avant. I love this car but it is a gas hog, about 20mpg in mixed driving. I had an Element prior to the Audi, great car but it had its own issues. Tons of storage, great room inside, but at 80mph I was at 4K rpm. had two civics before the Element, an 04 sedan and a 95 Si hatch.
I am currently on my 15th car and the 95 Si was my favorite car that I have ever owned. Great mileage, two bikes inside, and 30mpg no matter how I drove it. I'd get another one in a minute, if I wasn't paranoid about it getting stolen.

If I was looking at new cars, it would have to be the Honda Fit sport. For the money there is nothing that can touch it in terms of space, funtionality, and fun to drive factor. However, you can't get one. Here in Phoenix, there are none on the lots, and a 4-5 month wait to get one if ordered. The A3 is a great car. Fun to drive, great mileage, and an amazing interior. The Jetta wagon will be out with a diesel late in 08, and possibly a Passat Variant with a diesel too.

Louis
04-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Yep. They both have plenty of headroom and the smart has even more legroom than the fit.

Dave, you'll get even better headroom in the S-2000 ... :)

RPS
04-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Toy Car - Caterham R300

DaveReminds me of the first time I saw The Prisoner. :beer: The original 7s were great; modern Caterhams probably even better (except for larger size :) ).

David Kirk
04-23-2007, 11:57 PM
Dave, you'll get even better headroom in the S-2000 ... :)

I sat in an S2000 and my head is firmly pressed against the top. Very little head room. Too bad as it's otherwise a wonderful car.

Dave

David Kirk
04-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Reminds me of the first time I saw The Prisoner. :beer: The original 7s were great; modern Caterhams probably even better (except for larger size :) ).

I own/drive/race a Birkin S3. It's probably the closest in concept to the original Seven. It's way too much fun to blast back roads in and is a one quick autocross car.

Dave

Climb01742
04-24-2007, 05:43 AM
i have a lexus rx400h right now and while it's very pleasant, the MPG has been disappointing @ "only" about 25 MPG. sadly toyota/lexus hybrids seem more about zip and a green image than MPG, with the exception of the prius.

in the future, i'm hoping to get a diesel "practical" vehicle that can hold bikes and dogs. may try an element until then. i wish a fit sport could hold two bikes without all sorts of machinations. i wish more things were taller so you could fit two bikes inside standing up.

on the fun car front, if house renovations ever allow, i'd like to find a good used low mileage boxster s or the new mini s.

quattro
04-24-2007, 05:51 AM
My 1995 Audi S6 will turn 100k miles today! I love the car, does not get good gas mileage but for me it is all about the driving experience. In a year or so a new/used S4 or RS4, shhh, don't tell my wife!

William
04-24-2007, 05:54 AM
Element

FJ-40

Refurbished original FJ-40

Or....another Volvo.

Hard to say for sure at this point.

William

Xyzzy
04-24-2007, 06:14 AM
I just bought an 07 F150. I only drive maybe 100 to 200 miles a month so gas mileage is not a factor for me. My last car was a 97 Tercel that I just sold ($4000!) with 105,000 miles on it. For the last 4 years I looked at the emissions reports that I save and each year I only put 1000 miles or so on it.

Ford is hurting in the fight against Toyota so I got a real good deal. I like the fact I put *way* more miles on my bike than on my truck.

The dealer tried to sell me an extended warranty. At 2000 miles a year or so all the warranties they had seemed silly. (I do all my own work anyways. Most cars anymore you can't do that.)

Xyzzy
04-24-2007, 06:20 AM
Forgot a good link about gas prices:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20670001&refer=news&sid=afOlUzd30YOo

stevep
04-24-2007, 06:32 AM
[QUOTE=Xyzzy] . At 2000 miles a year or so all the warranties they had seemed silly. QUOTE]

2k a year?
that is an impressive #

Too Tall
04-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Previous post has a good point regards low mileage vehicles....hmmm makes my 1956 and 1951 chevys seem more green every day :) Buy an antique car, it's the green thing to do :rolleyes:

Seriously, the diesels are the way to go for now and we tried to find a way to get our Volvo XC in diesel model but no soap.

If I had no cars today I'd look really closely at the VW diesels.

Elefantino
04-24-2007, 06:36 AM
When the lease is up on my X3 at the end of the year, we're getting my wife a Beetle diesel. They're scheduled to be delivered in December. (We're still mulling ragtop vs. hardtop.)

I get the A Team minivan, which is OK. It has four Thule racks up top and four captains chairs inside, for serious road tripping. And it's paid for.

zank
04-24-2007, 08:02 AM
I just bought an 05 Honda Civic Hybrid. 41 mpg. I just did a 600 mile round trip from Worcester, MA to Exton, PA and burnt less than 15 gallons of gas. :banana:

znfdl
04-24-2007, 08:18 AM
My wife has a 1998 Volvo V70 with 88,000 miles, maybe when it is broken in I can think of getting her a new car.

I have a 04 Subaru Forrester XT, even though the gas mileage leaves something to be desired, it is paid for an only has 22,000 miles on it.

My wife really wants a BMW motorcycle.

I would rather have a new foul weather commuting bike, Ti with fenders.

zap
04-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Our daily drivers still run.

So, MB SLK55 (62?) Black Series. This is the only "fun" car we can currently agree on. However, further up the scale I suspect a Lambo Gallardo roadster would work too. VW might put a V10 diesel in it soon.

fiamme red
04-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Speaking of cars, here's a great excerpt from Lee Iacocca's new book:

http://www.bordersstores.com/features/feature.jsp?file=wherehavealltheleadersgone

Keith A
04-24-2007, 09:26 AM
My solution is that I will be commuting more and driving to work less. As far as autos go, I haven't seen the Toyota Matrix (Pontiac Vibe) mentioned. It appears to have some good cargo space and the gas mileage is pretty good with it rated at 30/36 for the manual transmission.

William
04-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Speaking of cars, here's a great excerpt from Lee Iacocca's new book:

http://www.bordersstores.com/features/feature.jsp?file=wherehavealltheleadersgone

Not that Lee's been my favorite person over the years....but considering today's news that Toyota has surpassed GM as the #1 mfr of cars in the world, Lee's comments seem some what apropos. BBC comments echoed what Lee was insinuating about American car mfr's.

Note to self: Add to the "read" list.

William

ergott
04-24-2007, 09:47 AM
It will take a long time to recover the cost of buying a new car simply to get better mileage. If you need a vehicle then that's a different story. Hybrids are still not cost effective until 5-7 years of driving when comparing them to similar gas models on the market.

I bought my Civic knowing that. I got a manual version in 03. I still don't have 30k on it. There is no hybrid that would have cost less in this amount of time. The Civic is a ULEV (good emissions). My next car comes when this one gets tired and I figure at my rate, that won't be for another couple of decades.

zap
04-24-2007, 09:57 AM
snipped

Hybrids are still not cost effective until 5-7 years of driving when comparing them to similar gas models on the market.

Just in time, or close, when the battery warranty expires and one needs to purchase a new battery pack.

Whats the price for a new pack. 5k?

Dave B
04-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Wife, toddler, large dog, toddler's toys, bikes, toddler's sticky snacks, buddies, toddler's mess, in-laws, my mother moving in :crap: .....I have a 06 Nissan Pathfinder. With cool cycling stickers on it.

I don't give a rat's taint what the milage is as long as I can get away from my house!

It isn't the best and it isn't the worst on gas. It looks cool has a freaking sweet sounding stereo, and whe I need it, can fly down the road.

I love nissan, have had loads of them. Just dig the way they fit me. You know it is all about fit here anyway!

If I could just Brooks to make some seats I think I would be eccentric enough to classify myself as a character! :D

davids
04-24-2007, 11:06 AM
If I was looking at new cars, it would have to be the Honda Fit sport. For the money there is nothing that can touch it in terms of space, funtionality, and fun to drive factor. However, you can't get one. Here in Phoenix, there are none on the lots, and a 4-5 month wait to get one if ordered. The A3 is a great car. Fun to drive, great mileage, and an amazing interior. The Jetta wagon will be out with a diesel late in 08, and possibly a Passat Variant with a diesel too.
The Honda Fit and the Audi A3 - Those are the two I keep getting drawn towards...

We're in an interesting situation now: Two aging cars, a 2000 Acura TL with 94k and a 1999 Mercury Sable wagon with 75k. I think we've got a few years left on both, but our fear is that they're both gonna let go at around the same time. So, maybe we should replace one sooner rather than later?

Layer on top of that - My daughter's changing schools next year, and she will no longer rely on her parents for her daily commute (ahem. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: ) Which means I can stop commuting by car, too. Opening the question of whether we need to continue as a two-car family at all...

We'll give the new arrangement 6 months or so before doing anything rash. I'd love to shed a low-mileage, large-footprint vehicle or two. Time will tell.

Keith A
04-24-2007, 11:18 AM
I love the looks of the A3 and the gas mileage isn't bad 24 and 32.

http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/product/a3my07/crops/exterior.Par.0045.Image.jpg

Keith A
04-24-2007, 11:21 AM
and there's always the R8 :D

http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/product/r8my08/crops0/exterior.Par.0094.Image.jpg

Horsepower: 420 hp @ 7800 rpm
Maximum torque: 317 lb-ft @ 4500-6000 rpm
0 to 62 mph (0 to 100 km/h): 4.6 seconds
Top speed: 187 mph (301 km/h)

Ozz
04-24-2007, 11:21 AM
I'd luv to get a new car, but just can't justify the $$$

We have a 2003 Honda Pilot (23K miles) that is our "Costco/Home Depot / camping / vacation" car...

Our daily driver...the one I would like to replace is a 1996 Acura 2.5TL. It only has 72K miles on it, and still runs like new. It doesn't get great mileage (about 18-20 mpg, mixed driving). We could use more room for the kids, better mileage, and modern safety features, but we haven't had a payment on this car for 7 years. It's tough to justify taking on a $300 to $500 per month payment when I don't have to.

Still waiting for the Luxury SUV/Wagon (Audi / Lexus / Volvo) that gets 40mpg....... :cool:

zank
04-24-2007, 11:31 AM
I'd luv to get a new car, but just can't justify the $$$

We have a 2003 Honda Pilot (23K miles) that is our "Costco/Home Depot / camping / vacation" car...

Our daily driver...the one I would like to replace is a 1996 Acura 2.5TL. It only has 72K miles on it, and still runs like new. It doesn't get great mileage (about 18-20 mpg, mixed driving). We could use more room for the kids, better mileage, and modern safety features, but we haven't had a payment on this car for 7 years. It's tough to justify taking on a $300 to $500 per month payment when I don't have to.

Still waiting for the Luxury SUV/Wagon (Audi / Lexus / Volvo) that gets 40mpg....... :cool:

Isn't Lexus about to launch a Hybrid? It may be a sedan though.

zank
04-24-2007, 11:40 AM
It will take a long time to recover the cost of buying a new car simply to get better mileage. If you need a vehicle then that's a different story. Hybrids are still not cost effective until 5-7 years of driving when comparing them to similar gas models on the market.

That depends on the amount of driving you are doing and the deals you can find.

I paid $17,800 for my 05 Civic Hybrid with 8800 miles on it. Found it at the end of the quarter and they needed to move it off the lot. It will pay off for me because I put over 30K miles on a car in a year. I figure I'll save about 470 gallons of gas or $1300 a year vs. my old car that got 25 mpg.

Ozz
04-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Isn't Lexus about to launch a Hybrid? It may be a sedan though.
Lexus has a couple hybrids....however they are using the technology to to build cars with 400 horsepower performance, and still get 20 mpg.

I'd rather get 200 horsepower performance, and 40 mpg..... :beer:

myette10
04-24-2007, 12:09 PM
as stated earlier, it is different if you are in the "need a vehicle" category than if you just want a new one.

djg
04-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Most of my commuting takes place by bike these days. Frankly, if I wanted to drive downtown (which I don't), the cost of gas would be dwarfed by the cost of parking.

The volvo S60 (2.5T AWD) is just about three years old. It's not the most fun car I've had, and it's not the most fun car I can imagine, but it is a good car and I expect I'll keep it for quite a few years. My guess is that the wife will get a new mini-van sometime in the next couple of years, but not right away. On the one hand, there's money for new vehicles if we're desperate for new vehicles. On the other, I'd really like to have three sets of private college/university tuition socked away before I do anything much car-wise. A fair bit has been set aside to that end, but I'm just not there yet. I don't know what the kids will need or want, but I'd like to be prepared just in case they want and would seem susceptible to benefit from what I got (which, these days, would run something like 175k each).

Ken Robb
04-24-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm not remembering the Nissan version of the Fit but it would be a good alternative. They each have their plusses/minuses but either one looked good to me. One of my driving instructor pals makes his living traveling the country doing new car intros for dealer personnel and he visited us wehbn he was doing the intro for the Nissan "Fit". It has a bigger/torquier engine and still gets equal or better mileage. The Honda has a slightly slicker interior and some think it's more fun to drive.

I'd cross-shop them and see what the real out-the-door prices would be and if one was lots more appealing to me.

FWIW, my 2004 BMW 330i with Performance Package gets 22mpg in town and 28mpg at 80 mph on the highway fort a range of 400 miles which I think is pretty good for the performance it offers. Too bad it's premium fuel though.

ergott
04-24-2007, 12:20 PM

I paid $17,800 for my 05 Civic Hybrid with 8800 miles on it. Found it at the end of the quarter and they needed to move it off the lot. It will pay off for me because I put over 30K miles on a car in a year. I figure I'll save about 470 gallons of gas or $1300 a year vs. my old car that got 25 mpg.

So at $1300 a year it will take over 13 years assuming nothing was wrong with the other car and it was paid off. :D

PaulE
04-24-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm not in the market for a new car but these are on my current short list:

2008 Honda Accord EX V6 sedan when it comes out

Honda CRV

Acura TL or TL Type S, TSX or RDX

An Acura RSX Type S would also be cool although its been discontinued and by the time I am ready, the used ones will be older with more miles than I'd probably be interest in.

Lexus IS 250 or 350

A red or blue with white roof Mini Cooper S with 6 speed manual, sport suspension, limited slip differential, maybe a Union Jack decal on the roof but definitely without a sunroof.

The Birkham, Caterham and Lotus are all cool, but I am getting soft. I spent my formative driving years around English sports cars including E-Types, MG's, Triumphs, Austin Healeys, TVR's Lotus Europas and original Minis. After two Austin Healeys I will never own another car where you sit over the muffler or have a snap on fold up convertible top with separate bows and side curtains. My last fun car was a 97 BMW Z-3 2.8 and my current one is a 2003 Boxster S.

The Audis are all beautiful and comfortable cars. Having purchased a brand new A-6 and continuing to own it beyond the expiration of the warranty and full maintenance coverage, my recommendation to anyone interested in an Audi is to lease it for three years so that it is always covered by the warranty and full maintenance.

RPS
04-24-2007, 12:57 PM

I paid $17,800 for my 05 Civic Hybrid with 8800 miles on it. Found it at the end of the quarter and they needed to move it off the lot. It will pay off for me because I put over 30K miles on a car in a year. I figure I'll save about 470 gallons of gas or $1300 a year vs. my old car that got 25 mpg.I think the point about hybrids is that they should be compared to a similar vehicle. In the case of a Civic, comparing to a standard Civic makes most sense IMO. In my case, even 30,000 miles per year wouldn't pay for the difference because I drive a lot on the highway, where hybrids have much less of an advantage.

RPS
04-24-2007, 01:06 PM
I own/drive/race a Birkin S3. It's probably the closest in concept to the original Seven. It's way too much fun to blast back roads in and is a one quick autocross car.

Dave
Great looking car Dave. Another fuel-efficient classic seen on The Prisoner pilot was a Mini Moke, which weighed about the same as a 7 -- about 1100 pounds. If you are not familiar with those, it was based on a Mini but with a body that looked a little like the VW Thing without doors. It's interesting to see old programs or movies of cars in Europe back in the 60s to see just how small they were. Many cars of that period didn't weigh much over a ton -- if that.

Climb01742
04-24-2007, 01:07 PM
i had hoped to get better mileage from my hybrid but by getting it, i also wanted to "vote" for new car technologies. our dollars are some of our most powerful votes and i wanted to put my money where my beliefs were/are. i feel good about the vote. wish the mileage were better, but hey, it's a start.

huey
04-24-2007, 01:09 PM
I was fortunate enough to drive the R8. It is an amazing car for the money. Tons of power, great track presence, good dynamics, and an amzing amount of room for a 2 seater. It is also very easy to drive. The downfall of the R8 is that Audi is only producing 1,200 a year. We have 12 sold, and another 13 people on the waiting list, and we are getting 1 or 2 for the year. Supply and demand, don't you love it.

Keith A
04-24-2007, 01:26 PM
I think my next car will be a Toyota http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/43.gif

72gmc
04-24-2007, 01:41 PM
For the new car we will need, the Honda Pilot is the front-runner. I'd love it if they came out with a hybrid or diesel version (lots of biodiesel outlets here in the Northwest). We need the extra seating that the Element doesn't offer as the kids always want to take friends along.

If I needed a new vehicle, which I don't, I would go small and sensible or larger utility. A Smart Car, the diesel VW bug that my friend keeps thinking of selling, or an import pickup with a king/crew cab.

nm87710
04-24-2007, 01:52 PM
IMO hybrids are over hyped/priced. Wait for new diesel models to arrive in the next 12-24 months now that low sulfer diesel is the norm. I'm driving a '05 VW TDI wagon getting 40+mpg in everyday driving while fitting 2 bikes and 2 sets of spare wheels in the rear cargo area. Couldn't imagine a better car for a bike racing. 60K+ miles and it purrs like a kitten.

Keith A
04-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Is your VW wagon a Passat or Jetta?

LH2
04-24-2007, 02:25 PM
IMO hybrids are over hyped/priced. Wait for new diesel models to arrive in the next 12-24 months now that low sulfer diesel is the norm.

+1

The europeans have understood the diesel thing for a long time, and Americans are late to the party. I don't think diesels in the U.S. will ever really lose the (untrue nowadays) stigma of being noisy & stinky.

I'm a happy owner of an '02 TDI Jetta for over 5 years now - love the smoothness on the highway and uphill torque of the diesel.

Hybrid, Schmybrid... Get a TDI and run carbon-neutral biodiesel if you feel the need to be super green. It's fun when your exhaust smells like french fries! :D

C5 Snowboarder
04-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Probably a C6 Corvette to compliment the C5 Corvette in the garage.
they do pretty good on mileage when you want and do pretty good on smile factor when you want to accelerate.

jefleisc
04-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Volvo V70

Louis
04-24-2007, 02:48 PM
An Acura RSX Type S would also be cool although its been discontinued and by the time I am ready, the used ones will be older with more miles than I'd probably be interest in.

I was so bummed when I found out that Acura was dropping the RSX. My Integra is a '97 and has 140,xxx miles on it, so I figure it will need to be replaced some time in the next few years. Not sure what I'll replace it with, but a used RSX will be very high on the list.

Hatchbacks are great for carrying stuff in the back, whether it be lumber or bikes.

Louis

RPS
04-24-2007, 03:11 PM
i had hoped to get better mileage from my hybrid but by getting it, i also wanted to "vote" for new car technologies. our dollars are some of our most powerful votes and i wanted to put my money where my beliefs were/are. i feel good about the vote. wish the mileage were better, but hey, it's a start.Climb, I think hybrids have their place, but they’re not for everyone – at least not from a financial standpoint. Making a statement is something else entirely.

Hybrid technologies can be incredibly efficient IMO in some applications; like mail delivery and city buses where the vehicles are constantly accelerating and stopping, and seldom cruising at a steady speed. Driving cycles similar to these are perfect for hybrids.

However, for people who mostly drive on highway trips, I don’t see how hybrid technology can offer much compared to other simpler and cheaper technologies. Examples are the now-discontinued Honda Civic HF, VX, and HX models. With a little attention to high fuel efficiency design, Honda had conventional automobiles years ago that were as efficient on the road as the more modern Civic Hybrid, and at $1000s less. And with no need to replace or recycle batteries.

I know some people want the extra horsepower offered by hybrids, but why not offer many of the same inexpensive technologies without the higher-cost electric stuff – like aerodynamic body, light-weight structure, smaller engines and/or displacement on demand, light-weight wheels and low-rolling-resistance tires?

That’s basically what separated the earlier Honda efforts from standard Civics; but I’d guess that if they still offered those types of models, it would make it harder to sell hybrids at a much higher price. I understand the need for the development of hybrid and alternate-fuel technologies, but there is so much we can do almost overnight at a very low cost if we only emphasize efficiency.

zap
04-24-2007, 03:11 PM
IMO hybrids are over hyped/priced. Wait for new diesel models to arrive in the next 12-24 months now that low sulfer diesel is the norm. I'm driving a '05 VW TDI wagon getting 40+mpg in everyday driving while fitting 2 bikes and 2 sets of spare wheels in the rear cargo area. Couldn't imagine a better car for a bike racing. 60K+ miles and it purrs like a kitten.

+2

Particulte traps such as the one in the MB E-Class further clean up diesels. Add 10-15% filtered cooking oil into your tank and your doing great.

How about a Honda Civic LNG? Great if you install a filling station in your garage.

Climb01742
04-24-2007, 03:32 PM
50-state diesels will be wonderful once they arrive. with the added benefit of longer engine life. 10-15 years ago i had a few old benz's with 200k+ miles and they ran like tops.

musgravecycles
04-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Element

FJ-40

Refurbished original FJ-40

Or....another Volvo.

Hard to say for sure at this point.

William

Another cruiser fanatic eh?! My Parents own 2 and I've got one.

My next car will be a new engine for my FJ-62. I am seriously considering putting in a diesel, which will take me from 15mpg to 26ish...

TMB
04-24-2007, 04:34 PM
My solution is that I will be commuting more and driving to work less. As far as autos go, I haven't seen the Toyota Matrix (Pontiac Vibe) mentioned. It appears to have some good cargo space and the gas mileage is pretty good with it rated at 30/36 for the manual transmission.

however, it does not fit the definition of fun.

I had one as a rental recently and it cured me of any desire to ever look closely at one as a keeper.

nm87710
04-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Is your VW wagon a Passat or Jetta?

Jetta or as the kids call it "der VWeisel" :D

Korn Julio
04-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Got 'er 4 weeks ago.
First tank averaged 44mpg.
Second tank averaged 48mpg.
Recent roundtrip to Staunton VA averaged 55mpg.
Yes, it is possible to BEAT the original EPA mileage estimate of 51mpg on the highway. :banana:
People get a big kick when I show off the car running in "stealth mode" (ie running on electrons only); all you can hear are the tires rolling on the pavement - and nothing else.
Not to mention the 9 speaker JBL soundsystem is the best I've ever had in any of my cars.
Oh yeah -- the 0% for 24-months pushed me over the edge to finally buy one. :D
The only negatives so far is pi$$ing off the carpoolers on Interstate-66 since I can drive in the carpool lanes all by my lonesome :beer: and having to wait 'til next year to claim the tax credit.

steelrider
04-24-2007, 06:26 PM
I think my next car will be a Toyota http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/43.gif

I'LL TAKE TWO!

Kevin
04-24-2007, 06:32 PM
My wife is looking at a Seqoia, I guess I will continue to work. ;)

Kevin

William
04-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Another cruiser fanatic eh?! My Parents own 2 and I've got one.

My next car will be a new engine for my FJ-62. I am seriously considering putting in a diesel, which will take me from 15mpg to 26ish...

Yes I am. Love all the old FJ's. I haven't been able to get up close and personal with the new FJ's. I like the throw back looks though. I owned a 74 FJ-40 when I was in college. It had the 350 conversion when I bought it. It ran great, sounded mean, and would climb anything. It needed a little body work though which was no problem. Re-did it all and painted her. I recently found a company that refurbishes LC's and sells them. It's certainly peaked my interest for grabbing the real deal again.
Going diesel would be a good call. The original 6 would probably still get better mileage then a stroked 350.

William

William
04-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Got 'er 4 weeks ago.
Yes, it is possible to BEAT the original EPA mileage estimate of 51mpg on the highway. :banana:
People get a big kick when I show off the car running in "stealth mode" (ie running on electrons only); all you can hear are the tires rolling on the pavement - and nothing else.
Not to mention the 9 speaker JBL soundsystem is the best I've ever had in any of my cars.
The only negatives so far is pi$$ing off the carpoolers on Interstate-66 since I can drive in the carpool lanes all by my lonesome :beer: and having to wait 'til next year to claim the tax credit.

Mama William just picked up one of these. Top of the line. She loves the thing. One of these days I'll get it out for a test run myself. :D

William

musgravecycles
04-24-2007, 07:18 PM
thread drift here...

William,

I've heard of those guys who sell 'new' FJ-40's (as I recal the price is in the 40's too, but you do get a 'brand new' 40...)

There's a great cruiser's only forum out there on the interwebthingy:

forum.ih8mud.com

I've talked to several guys who've done the small-block conversion (in 40, 60, and 80 series wagons) and it's a winner all around (more power, cheaper parts, and believe it or not the 8 gets better mileage than the 6). I met a guy who had a 350 in a fj-60 that got 22mpg regularly.

Buying a rusty BJ-60 from Canada and pulling the diesel from that seems to be the way to go. I'm actually strongly considering converting that into a bio-diesel as there's plenty of that around these parts. Most of the guys on the forums who've done the switch have gone from 13ish mpg (I'm pretty lucky that mine gets 16) to upper mid-20's .

My parents have an 80 series and one of the new FJ-cruisers. It's nice looking, is actually built for punishment etc, but I'd still take a vintage one anyday...

Cheers

AgilisMerlin
04-24-2007, 07:58 PM
when we pull out of Iraq, $4.00 a gallon is going to be cheap !

going to keep my cars, for a very long time.

If i had my choice

Mazda 6, a mini minivan

Smiley
04-24-2007, 08:01 PM
Got 'er 4 weeks ago.
U Da Man Korn Man , Too bad Shambau is getting hitched to that Pitcher :)

twin
04-24-2007, 09:37 PM
I just bought a Fit and it is fun to drive. Mine is a standard and gets great gas milage. My 57cm bike fits without the front wheel on. I will have it for a very long time.

huey
04-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Did you find your Fit on the lot, or did you order it? Just curious.

William
04-25-2007, 07:27 AM
thread drift here...

William,

I've heard of those guys who sell 'new' FJ-40's (as I recal the price is in the 40's too, but you do get a 'brand new' 40...)

There's a great cruiser's only forum out there on the interwebthingy:

forum.ih8mud.com

I've talked to several guys who've done the small-block conversion (in 40, 60, and 80 series wagons) and it's a winner all around (more power, cheaper parts, and believe it or not the 8 gets better mileage than the 6). I met a guy who had a 350 in a fj-60 that got 22mpg regularly.

Buying a rusty BJ-60 from Canada and pulling the diesel from that seems to be the way to go. I'm actually strongly considering converting that into a bio-diesel as there's plenty of that around these parts. Most of the guys on the forums who've done the switch have gone from 13ish mpg (I'm pretty lucky that mine gets 16) to upper mid-20's .

My parents have an 80 series and one of the new FJ-cruisers. It's nice looking, is actually built for punishment etc, but I'd still take a vintage one anyday...

Cheers

I never bothered to figure out my mileage when I had her, but for a stroked V8, it seemed to do well on a tank full. I also removed the old front seats and welded in some high back buckets with shoulder harnesses. I've got picts stashed away some where.

Running bio is a great idea if you have access to an abundant supply...which it sounds like you do. Upper 20's is really good considering what it is.

Yes, the re-builts are on the expensive side. I've seen prices from the high 20's and go as high as the low 40's. But, like you said, it's essentially a brand new "old" cruiser.

The new FJ's have peaked my interest. One of these days I'll stop in and check one out. I've heard good things, but the first point for me is....do I fit in it? I fit in the old 40's, and I would prefer to own a vintage cruiser anyway.

Thanks for the forum link. I'll check it out. Here are two links for you...

Cool pictures:
www.tlca.org/pow/index.shtml

10 minute video of new and old rigs climbing things:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB4is6ZPcW8&mode=related&search=

William

Bob Ross
04-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Absolutely definitely 100% positive our next car will be a Mini Cooper.

Because parking in my neighborhood is such a clusterf**k that you need a super-short car to fit in most of the available spaces.

RPS
04-25-2007, 11:28 AM
As of this morning gasoline reserves are down 2.8 million barrels; so prices will probably keep inching up for now.

On the bright side, it seems that many here accept smaller fuel-efficient automobiles much better than the average American, and I wonder if that is due to our cycling background. Are we as cyclists more aware and accepting of the benefits of light weight, aerodynamics, efficiency, etc? Are we less wasteful because we are more sensitive to the environment or because we can relate directly to the impact of extra weight and poor aerodynamics?

Xyzzy
04-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Because parking in my neighborhood is such a clusterf**k that you need a super-short car to fit in most of the available spaces.
My truck is probably 20' long. My wife hates it but I always park at the furthest, empty end of the parking lot. (I call it extra exercise.)

But, I can see where you are coming from. Downtown here I literally can't park anywhere. Probably not even in a normal sized car. Good thing I only need to go downtown every few years.

Onno
04-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Audi A3 diesel hybrid. It's got to exist sooner or later.

Tom Kellogg
04-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Our current cars:
'02 Passat 1.8-T city-25mpg, Hwy-34mpg. Good enough for our "good" car.

Other car (I use it to drive to races) '94 Corolla wagon City-32, Hwy-38, 187,000, runs so quiet and smooth it is hard to tell if it is still idling. Once we hit about 250,000, it will be time to think about the next one. We are thinking of the new Blue Wing based Jetta wagons coming along in about 12-18 months. The dream is a Blue Wing, Hybrid, plug in with a wind mill. That will take a while. :rolleyes:

Our youngest's car is our old '92 Saab 903, 197,000 with her at UVM. Still keeps on ticking. She wants a Beemer 5 series. Not from us, she's not. :no:

eddief
04-25-2007, 07:24 PM
this does sound interesting. how's the reliability of vw these days?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119327#2

jaibub
04-25-2007, 07:53 PM
I'll suggest another option. Instead of another car we switched to a car sharing service www.autoshare.com here in Toronto. We use transit and our daily commuting bikes to get around. The car sharing service comes in handy when we are going out for the evening, hauling groceries, etc. Much more cost effective than getting another car which when you think about it sits parked depreciating for a good part of the day. $750 lifetime membership, $20 per month for our rental plan. After that you pay by the hour $5ish depending on the car + plus a kilometer charge. No need to buy insurance as you are covered by autoshare's fleet insurance while you are driving their cars...the charge also covers GAS!
I realize this will not work for everyone but financially and environmentally it's working for us.

Tailwinds
04-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Lovin' my new Jetta 2.5!! Loads of trunk space -- no problem fitting my bike inside -- also about 29 mpg in the city. I figured it was time to replace the Firebird Formula w/233k miles on it.

Keith A
04-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Our current cars:
'02 Passat 1.8-T city-25mpg, Hwy-34mpg. Good enough for our "good" car.That's pretty good...I wonder how the new 2.0T does on gas?

huey
04-26-2007, 12:00 AM
the 2.0T does well on gas. The A3 gets about 32 ish on the highway. I took one on a road trip and got 420 miles per the tank. It worked out to about 33.2 mpg or so. In town that goes way down. The car is so zippy and fast, that you like the rush of the turbo. We have A3's and A4's as loaner cars, I here at least 3 times a day how fast the A3 is. Just my 2 cents worth.

brad

twin
04-26-2007, 01:01 AM
Someone ordered it and did not pick it up so I bought it and at the time was the only Fit in the Ok. Texas area.

Keith A
04-26-2007, 08:53 AM
Huey -- Thanks for the info on the 2.0T. The A3 is high on my list for our next vehicle.

huey
04-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Keith,

They are great cars. Please pm me if you have any questions at all about the car. I have a ton of info on them.

Keith A
04-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks Huey.

chrisroph
04-26-2007, 01:26 PM
I just picked up a red s line ti package A4 2.0T tip sedan, my first ever automatic other than my F150. I wanted a wagon but also wanted a sport package and, becuase I have the pickup when I need to haul lots of stuff/multiple bikes, I decided to get this really cool, red 4 door sedan. The 2.0 motor seems pretty thrifty, and it has gobs of torque from 1800rpm up to 500 or so and it works well with the tip, which has 6 gears, gets the same mileage as the manual and is slick shifting.

Ken Robb
04-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Got 'er 4 weeks ago.

Good news if anyone is looking for a Prius: Much of the demand for them in CA. was driven by the fact that a number of them were eligible for special bumper stickers that allowed a single occupancy car in the HOV lanes and the early buyers frequently paid several grand over MSRP. The stickers are now all gone so sales have slumped and the dealers in San Diego regularly advertise them at $3,000 under MSRP. Out of state buyers can take delivery just over the stateline and avoid CA. sales tax.

RPS
04-26-2007, 02:28 PM
The only negatives so far is pi$$ing off the carpoolers on Interstate-66 since I can drive in the carpool lanes all by my lonesome :beer: and having to wait 'til next year to claim the tax credit.A lot of people I know don’t get the whole carpool lane restriction thing.

If carpool lanes are to promote fuel efficiency, then why is it OK for two people in a 13 MPG Excursion to use the lane and not a single person in a car that gets 40 MPG – whether hybrid or conventional.

And if carpool lanes are meant to reduce traffic congestion (which is how carpool lanes were sold in my area), then why allow any car with a single driver regardless of the MPG or whether it’s hybrid? Isn’t it about getting cars off the roads, not fuel economy?

And for some it’s about why we allow luxury 30 MPG hybrids to get preferential treatment over inexpensive 40 MPG compacts.

Personally, I’d like a local government official to articulate what they are really trying to accomplish – beyond getting Federal funding for the carpool lanes.

Karin Kirk
04-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Our current cars:
'02 Passat 1.8-T city-25mpg, Hwy-34mpg. Good enough for our "good" car.

Other car (I use it to drive to races) '94 Corolla wagon City-32, Hwy-38, 187,000, runs so quiet and smooth it is hard to tell if it is still idling. Once we hit about 250,000, it will be time to think about the next one. We are thinking of the new Blue Wing based Jetta wagons coming along in about 12-18 months. The dream is a Blue Wing, Hybrid, plug in with a wind mill. That will take a while. :rolleyes:

Our youngest's car is our old '92 Saab 903, 197,000 with her at UVM. Still keeps on ticking. She wants a Beemer 5 series. Not from us, she's not. :no:

Tom, we have similar taste in cars! We love our Passat 1.8T wagon (1999) which seems to get over 30 mpg even in town. We also have a 1992 Saab 903. That car is an awesome bike-hauler!

I keep thinking we should replace the ol' Saab, but of course it will never die and most new cars get worse gas mileage. I too am waiting for a Jetta-ish small wagon that is a hybrid. A windmill would be sweet too. Lord knows it is windy enough here!

mikemets
04-26-2007, 03:32 PM
not PC, but its probably the next car

Ken Robb
04-26-2007, 03:57 PM
A lot of people I know don’t get the whole carpool lane restriction thing.

If carpool lanes are to promote fuel efficiency, then why is it OK for two people in a 13 MPG Excursion to use the lane and not a single person in a car that gets 40 MPG – whether hybrid or conventional.

And if carpool lanes are meant to reduce traffic congestion (which is how carpool lanes were sold in my area), then why allow any car with a single driver regardless of the MPG or whether it’s hybrid? Isn’t it about getting cars off the roads, not fuel economy?

And for some it’s about why we allow luxury 30 MPG hybrids to get preferential treatment over inexpensive 40 MPG compacts.

Personally, I’d like a local government official to articulate what they are really trying to accomplish – beyond getting Federal funding for the carpool lanes.

Hey, you can't possibly still be laboring under the misapprehension that laws and public ploicy are fair and logical are you?

Here's just one little story. In 1968 all passenger cars sold in the USA had to have bumpers with a minimum height to keep lower than average cars from sliding under a car of normal height's bumper because it would contribute to greater injuries to the occupants who chose to drive the lower car. Save me from myself Big Brother! This all but destroyed the handling of MGBs and other sports cars. But even now there is no maximum bumper height to keep a jacked-up truck from having its bumper above my door where its owner's choice will surely cause me massive injuries in a collision with my normal sedan. Where are you now Big Brother? Oh, dining with lobbyists, of course. I should have known. :butt:

chrisroph
04-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Good news if anyone is looking for a Prius: Much of the demand for them in CA. was driven by the fact that a number of them were eligible for special bumper stickers that allowed a single occupancy car in the HOV lanes and the early buyers frequently paid several grand over MSRP. The stickers are now all gone so sales have slumped and the dealers in San Diego regularly advertise them at $3,000 under MSRP. Out of state buyers can take delivery just over the stateline and avoid CA. sales tax.

There are articles floating around opining that the actual cradle to grave environmental impact of a prius is greater than an F150 because the prius is made overseas, the nickel for the battery is mined in canada, shipped all over for processing and then must be disposed of as a hazardous material.

rounder
04-26-2007, 07:49 PM
a lot of people seem interested in audis. i have a 2001 A4 1.8T. it's not a race car but drives great. everything seems well thought out (sorta like a serotta) and the doors close with a nice thunk. it came with a 5 year - 50,000 mile warranty. that includes all the usual maintenance stuff plus replacement windshield wipers even. i would buy another...only time i ever said i would get another just like it and not just say that i wanted to drive something different. engineering is top notch. long line of successful racing history. nobody snears at you when you drive by (like if you were behind the wheel of a hummer). not sure that a new A4 would be in my budget range...but i would definitely look at an A3 and...most likely...be happy. oh yeah...gas mileage is good enough that i don't have to think about it...even though the computer will give you readings for both instantaneous and average gas mileage.

Kevin
04-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Audi A8 not PC, but its probably the next car

I have the A6 with the 4.2 from the A8 as my everyday driver. Unfortunately, compared to my weekend car the 13 mpg in the Audi is PC. But I am a confessed "car guy".

Kevin

Vancouverdave
04-27-2007, 09:41 AM
With all of this talk about cars and gas mileage, thought I'd pass on a little trick that seems to be almost unknown, at least in my area. While either driving or cycling, I have noticed signs at the roadside. These signs have two-digit numbers in black on a white background. Now, my cycling speed almost never matches these numbers except perhaps on secondary residential streets for short distances. On the freeway, if you match the numbers on these signs to the dial on your automobile's dashboard--or even make sure that your auto's dial shows a slightly LOWER number--your gas mileage will improve. It might even match the manufacturer's mileage claim, fancy that! It works for our '99 Legacy, might work for your car;)

Vancouverdave
04-27-2007, 09:41 AM
With all of this talk about cars and gas mileage, thought I'd pass on a little trick that seems to be almost unknown, at least in my area. While either driving or cycling, I have noticed signs at the roadside. These signs have two-digit numbers in black on a white background. Now, my cycling speed almost never matches these numbers except perhaps on secondary residential streets for short distances. On the freeway, if you match the numbers on these signs to the dial on your automobile's dashboard--or even make sure that your auto's dial shows a slightly LOWER number--your gas mileage will improve. It might even match the manufacturer's mileage claim, fancy that! It works for our '99 Legacy, might work for your car;)

Keith A
04-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Hey Dave -- I tried trick, but I can't get it to work :D

72gmc
04-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Not in a place right now where I feel the need to justify another Audi, but if I did, the 10-cylinder A6 would be very interesting despite its mpg.

huey
04-27-2007, 01:54 PM
I've driven both the S6 and the S8. They are both exceptional cars. If your going to spend $80k for an S6 I would spend the extra $30k and get and S8. I would get an S8 over just about an other big body sedan.

RPS
04-27-2007, 02:23 PM
With all of this talk about cars and gas mileage, thought I'd pass on a little trick that seems to be almost unknown, at least in my area. While either driving or cycling, I have noticed signs at the roadside. These signs have two-digit numbers in black on a white background. Now, my cycling speed almost never matches these numbers except perhaps on secondary residential streets for short distances. On the freeway, if you match the numbers on these signs to the dial on your automobile's dashboard--or even make sure that your auto's dial shows a slightly LOWER number--your gas mileage will improve. It might even match the manufacturer's mileage claim, fancy that! It works for our '99 Legacy, might work for your car;)This is a very good point which led President Carter to reduce highway speeds after the first oil embargo.

However, this works best with smaller cars, smaller engines, and boxy designs. Slowing down with a V-10 Ford E-350 doesn't do as much good as with a Honda CR-V. I've tried it, and in one case mileage jumps significantly, and in the other very little or not at all. Also, slowing down typically benefits diesels more than gasoline engines.