PDA

View Full Version : Wife says a bike must go...

Dekonick
06-07-2004, 09:48 PM
with the arrival of the Hors... something has gotta give.

1) 1997 bianchi veloce

2) 1992 (or 1990) serotta colorado cr (all ultegra)

what would you do?

third option is my 1996 trek Y-22

I fear the Serotta may have a little rust in the down tube (not as serious as its under tension)the rest of the bike is well loved, used, but in like new condition.

The Bianchi (My trainer/rain bike) isnt sexy, its dinged, but all new parts.

they Y22 - abused but in good shape.

so give me ideas! :)
:beer:

Jeff N.
06-07-2004, 09:51 PM
My wife told me if I buy another bike, she will leave me. Jeez, I'm sure gonna miss that gal. Jeff N.

csb
06-07-2004, 10:21 PM
then put her on one, press the garage door opener
and send her off into the nights traffic...bye bye

sfscott
06-08-2004, 12:28 AM
Wife gotta go :no:

shinomaster
06-08-2004, 02:11 AM
yeah, why let the wife determine the bikes in the garage..??? :no: :no: :no:

Bill Bove
06-08-2004, 04:28 AM
Take a couple of pieces of furniture out of the house. Just how many chairs, tables and lamps do you need?

The flip side of this means the next time you buy a bike you'll be buy buying some curtains or a couch too.

Small price to pay.

Kevin
06-08-2004, 05:45 AM
Every time I buy a bike, I buy her a piece of jewelery that costs more than the bike. So far no objections to the Ottrott, CSi, Vortex and 2 Bianchis.

Kevin

Sandy
06-08-2004, 05:49 AM
I already forgot Kevan. I want Kevin as my best buddy. No big deal. All I had to do was change the a for an i. Please don't tell Kevan about Kevin. I don't want jewelry.

Selective Sandy

Too Tall
06-08-2004, 05:52 AM
Listen to Kevin.

Kevin
06-08-2004, 05:52 AM
Sandy,

Does this mean that I have to start buying bikes in pairs?

Kevin

bulliedawg
06-08-2004, 06:22 AM
Dekonick:

Bike says wife must go.

Kevin:

Every time I buy a bike, I buy her a piece of jewelery that costs more than the bike. So far no objections to the Ottrott, CSi, Vortex and 2 Bianchis.

Kevin
Even if I could afford that approach, my wife wouldn't know what to do with it. She worked on the No. 1 ranked beefmaster bull in the country this weekend. 2,300 pounds. Named Blackjack. Roughly 23 times the weight of my wife. Pulled a peice of wood about four inches long out of his hoof. A girl like that don't got no use for baubles.

Kevin
06-08-2004, 06:30 AM
bulliedawg,

You just need to alter the approach. Buy her an animal every time you buy a bike. Its just a question of showing that you are paying attention to her wishes as well as your own.

Kevin

bulliedawg
06-08-2004, 06:42 AM
I appreciate your idea, but we're downsizing. Got five kittens that the owner of the beefmaster bull wanted my wife to euthanize. She didn't have the heart, so they're in the garage, and we're in the process of adopting them out right now.

Plus, she prefers large animals, and I ain't got room for a 2,300 pound bull.

Kevin
06-08-2004, 07:59 AM
It sounds like you live in a zoo. I thought I had it bad being in a house with nothing but females, wide, daughters, dog, bunnies and fish.

Kevin

H.Frank Beshear
06-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Umm.. Kevin if your wife finds out you think she's wide it might cost you a set of personal jewels. :beer: :banana: :D Frank

Roy E. Munson
06-08-2004, 08:22 AM
Does she want them sold because they are taking up room in the house? If not, keep them, because you ain't gonna get much coin for any of those bikes.

Dekonick
06-08-2004, 09:22 AM
I know... they arent worth much anymore except to me...

It has more to do with some mental block she has...and something has to give. The nice bauble approach wont work... have tried that before. I think it has more to do with cycling taking too much of my time... speaking of which its time for a nice ride. I guess I could hide the bianchi...I did buy it just to ride in the rain anyway. If its in the shed she will never know...

mmmmm

Serotta PETE
06-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Question is "Why does your wife say one has to go"?

Used bikes of that era do not command a high price, is it a concern about space, number of toys, clutter, etc?? (Sounds like you use the bikes still)

I am lucky that I do not have that challenge and I usually am the one saying that i need to get rid of some "toys" They are usually sold to make room for others....

What you could do is put them up for sale at the "premium" price and when they do not sell - you tried !

(I have been trying to sell a CR in excellent shape for over a year - Repainted by Serotta and has 9 speed Dura-Ace for $1000) It is a 57Cm. Do not know why it did not sell, did not have any lookers even

pete

djg
06-08-2004, 09:33 AM
obvious answer is to get rid of whichever bike you ride the least, once you start riding the hors.

weisan
06-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Hey Pete,

Va Rider is looking for a backup bike on this thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=2821). Seems to be in the same price range. Try contacting him...

weisan

Serotta PETE
06-08-2004, 10:50 AM
will do....THANKS

Climb01742
06-08-2004, 11:14 AM
be careful...first the wife says a bike must go...then she'll say a girlfriend has to go...start down that road and who knows where it'll end... ;)

Hard Fit
06-08-2004, 11:46 AM
I think the answer depends on whether you mountain bike anymore. If so, I would get rid of the Serotta. Why? It is nice to have a rain bike and the Serotta is probably too nice to fit into that category. If you don't mountain bike anymore, get rid of that bike.

Hard Fit

Sandy
06-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Paint the bikes all the same color and keep moving them around in different parts of the house. Then tell her you got rid of one. She won't have a clue as to how many you have. Then start to buy some more bikes (same color as the others). Never get rid of any. Continue the process of moving your bikes around the house. She will be so confused and upset that she will get angry and tell you to go for a ride. Just be sure that you never have more bikes in any given room as the number of bikes you started with before the process.

Glad to solve your problem. I think I need help for mine. I think I need help for a lot of mine.

Helpful Sandy

Dekonick
06-08-2004, 01:54 PM
problem I have: I dont want to get rid of any of them. BUT in all fairness, I suppose she has a point. Our garage is full of my bikes, bike parts, etc... Usually its just 2 bikes in the garage and one on the computrainer. I used to ride mountain alot, but now its just something to do when its raining (I have the Bianchi for that, but I find mountain biking in the rain is a blast! Just go with total abandon - and bring a dry change! living right next to Paptasco state park helps too...)

I really dont want to let the Serotta go. It fits me perfectly, but really needs an upgrade in parts. Thats gonna have to wait after getting the Hors and having it built with chorus/record mix (I did go cheap with a 2000 set of campy parts that were in excellent condition.) with custom built wheels...

I think I answered my question. The Bianchi will go. Too bad, I just put a brand new BB, cables, casette, handlebar tape, and frame saver - all in all about $250 in parts/labor

After reading everyone's posts it makes me think that the wife (I love her to death, but she just doesnt get the cycling addicition) is a little out of line... but again I kinda told her a MUCH lower total cost for the Hors. Think that pissed her off a little. Its not the cash, even though 5k for frame, wheels and components is alot on a firefighters salary - its good for my health, my mental well being, and Serotta's last! after all my other one is almost 15 years old... and I still love it.

What I really need to do is keep the Serotta. I can cheat a little, Ill sell the old components on ebay for a couple o bucks, and keep the frame to build up later. (Ill just preserve it for a bit. It still has its original paint in excellent cond! I baby it.) I can then keep the bianchi to trash - Ill put SPD's on it...good bike to travel with. Perhaps Ill sell the Trek too and get a new mtn bike next year...

I dont know... I'll figure it out.

Dek

csb
06-08-2004, 02:00 PM
ok so you love her _ then send her off into the night WITH a light

Sandy
06-08-2004, 03:34 PM
With or without batteries??

Sandy

M_A_Martin
06-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Ah Dekonick

You wrote the real answer to your problem. Its not the bikes, its the time the bikes take. One more bike means one more bike to spend time riding. Maybe she feels her time with you is being impinged upon by the bikes. I know some men who spend so much time on their bikes that their wives seldom see them. Is that so much better than having a girlfriend? I suppose it is, you're not bringing spare germs home...but the time element must be similar.
Or it could be she knows you well enough to know that one thing will lead to another and boom! there will be yet another bike and another and another!

weisan
06-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Thanks Ginger. You have hit the nail on the head. :crap:

Sandy
06-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Does your wife ride a bike? If not, perhaps you can get her to try riding, and you can share time riding with her. Perhaps you could try a tandem, if your skill level is simply too far apart. Share the time riding together. Is that possible?

Sandy

M_A_Martin
06-08-2004, 09:39 PM
I have an idea...
Make a pact with your SO that you won't buy another one unless you break or wear out one you have. Keep the current bikes. And if you do decide to get another bike it will be a replacement for one already there. In other words, you'll get rid of one of the existing ones if you purchase a new one in the future. Stick to it. (She really should have told you to get rid of a bike before you bought the new one. Telling you now isn't very fair.) That way you get to keep the current bikes and you have a process in place if you decide to buy another one. And its cheaper than getting her involved in your sport if she doesn't want to be...do find out if she wants to try, and make it fun for her...you might wind up buying her much more expensive bikes than the one's you have!

Then find out what's really bothering her about the bikes. If its just the insane mess of bike tools (I seem to recall a comment to the bike tool effect) ...clean it up! (now there,...I just rationalized spending money on a cool rolling tool box) Perhaps you can figure out a way to store all the bike stuff so that its neater (matching equipment cabinet), and the bikes look well stored, perhaps your favorite well displayed...(I'm planning on hanging my new bike in my living room...I think it an appropriate place.)

I wouldn't wish a tandem on anyone who isn't really interested in riding one. If you didn't know you had a communications problem before you got on the tandem, you'll find out by the third ride just how bad it is...