PDA

View Full Version : Climbing to Brasstown with my sons

Geoff
04-23-2007, 01:23 PM
I had the best time this weekend at the Tour de Georgia. I went with my two sons, 2 and 6.

We rode the final climb of the stage on Firday to Brasstown Bald. We parked the car, I hooked up the trailer for my 2 year old and my 6 year old (Sam) was riding his 20-inch specialized (I think with a 140 stem this might fit Boom Boom) mountain bike. It was about 11 miles with 1,680 feet of climbing to the turn up to Brasstown (as my computer recorded it). Sam did so great I couldnt have been more proud. He just kept going when I would ask hiim if he needed a break. I had to give him a little help with a hand on the back on the steeper grades, but he was just cranking along.

The coolest thing was all the support he got from everyone else that was out there riding. At one point Sam turned to me he didnt know why everyone was talking to him he thought they were making fun of him. I had to explain that they thought it was pretty cool for him to out riding that climb. We made it up to the first turn on the rode to Brasstown and ate lunch and watched the race. After the rider went by we rode back to the car. Very nervous with him going down those hills, seems he's a bit of a speed deamon.

A memory that will be with me forever and hopefully him too.

Bill Bove
04-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Cool. :banana: :banana:

Climb01742
04-23-2007, 01:35 PM
awesome.

Xyzzy
04-23-2007, 05:06 PM
I wish you were my Dad.

Seriously.

:beer:

Delpo
04-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the example! I should really do a better job of including my son in my passion for cycling. Sometimes, in my zeal to protect, I over protect.

Thanks again.

Delpo

Steelhead
04-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Thats really really cool - way to go Dad!! How did you feel after pulling the trailer with your youngest inside up Baldy?

Geoff
04-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Thats really really cool - way to go Dad!! How did you feel after pulling the trailer with your youngest inside up Baldy?

well I was sweating thats for sure. I brought the mtb or I dont think I would have made it.

I really get a lot out of seeing him have so much fun learning. first the no feet then one hand. Its all so cool.

Geoff