PDA

View Full Version : Headset adjustment - what size wrenches for CK 1" gripnut?

rsl
04-23-2007, 08:40 AM
I need to adjust my headset, and want to give it a go myself. It's a 1" Chris King gripnut model for a threaded steerer. I've read through the CK tech information and the parktool info about adjustment and it seems easy enough.

I can't, however, figure out what size of wrenches I need. Does anyone know?

Any tips for someone doing this for the first time?

thanks!

David Kirk
04-23-2007, 09:30 AM
The standard 1" headset wrench has always been 32mm. I ASSUME that is the case with King.

Dave

eddief
04-23-2007, 10:01 AM
of course it helps to have two wrenches of the skinny spanner variety...made especially for headsets. one for the gripnut and one for nut thing just above the top bearing.

and i swear, no matter how careful i am i always tend to get some slippage. so if you want to keep your "nuts" in good shape, take your time with this and it helps to get the headset up at eye level so you can watch the wrenches as you adjust.

the steering should be loose enough for easy turning of steerer and tight enough so there is no play when the front brakes are applied and you move the bike back and forth to see if the steerer is wiggling too much against the bearings.

rsl
04-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys - I appreciate the advice. I plan to get two wrenches and give it a try this afternoon.

Thanks again! :)

eddief
04-23-2007, 10:59 AM
good wrenches are better than cheap ones.

David Kirk
04-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Remember that the stem should be in the right spot and tightened before you adjust the headset.

Dave

chuckred
04-23-2007, 11:22 AM
good wrenches are better than cheap ones.

That's the truth!

I started to try to adjust my Campy Athena headset with a cheap headset wrench - and only had one. Could tell I was going to f-up the lock nut, the wrench was so loose, it would have taken the corners right off!

So I took it to the LBS - they still managed to mar it a little bit, but no where near as bad as my cheap wrench would have!

rsl
04-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks again for the tips - I just picked up 2 32mm ParkTool headset wrenches at the LBS (and a new pair of gloves while I was at it) during my lunch break. I'll give it a go after work.

FierteTi52
04-23-2007, 04:52 PM
I would use the required thin headset wrench on the lower nut and a large adjustable wrench on the upper nut to reduce any marring.
Jeff

Brian Smith
04-23-2007, 07:24 PM
I would use the required thin headset wrench on the lower nut and a large adjustable wrench on the upper nut to reduce any marring.
Jeff

That's good advice.
A Stein headset wrench prevents marring as well, but the adjustable is a more versatile wrench and probably therefore a better value for occasional headset use.