PDA

View Full Version : Big Mig & me, riding Rhode Island

William
04-23-2007, 06:56 AM
So I wasn't able to hook up with Beungood or RIHans to ride this weekend. I was about to head out on my own when the phone rang. I put my helmet on the table and then lean down to give Rhea Basset a scratch on the head before I picked up the receiver. It was none other then my good friend Big Mig. Yep, that one. We spend a few minutes talking and catching up on how the families are doing. Then he tells me that he's been riding alone for a while, and though he really loves the Spanish Basque region, he needs a change. No sooner does the word "change" come through the receiver, I start to hear the chopper blades thumping in the distance....."YOU DOG!!" I yell. He starts laughing and says "I'll see you in a few minutes". Three minutes later he's landing in the pasture and after a big manly hug (not that there's anything wrong with that), I'm helping him unpack all of his riding gear.

After spending some time with the family we were on our way. We decided to mix it up and hit some pavement, then headed off road for a little crossin. The whole time the chump is busting my chops for not shaving my legs yet. " You look like a yeti humping that bike my friend", ha ha ha ha ha. He's seems like a quiet guy, but he can bust chops with the best of them. After riding along a local river for a while, we stopped and hunted ducks....

To be cont...

William
04-23-2007, 07:20 AM
After having a lunch of roasted duck, we headed over to the local Del's for some frozen lemonade to wash it down. Then we headed off into the back roads of the New England country side. I tried asking him what he though about some of his detractors claims that he, unlike Eddie Merckx or Jacques Anquetil, trained solely for the Tour and avoided the many other races in which Merckx and Anquetil consistently competed even as they amassed their five Tour victories. He just wanted to tell me chicken jokes. "Why did the Roman chicken cross the road? She was afraid someone would Caesar!" Ha ha ha....
Then he said; "Ahhhh, what have the French racers managed to do in recent years anyway?" "Hey, What did Colonel Sanders say when he was asked why the chicken crossed the road?....I missed one?". "ok Mig, that's enough on the chicken jokes, now pull through. Sheesh".

William
04-23-2007, 07:28 AM
We then headed over to my Italian neighbors house who fed us some scones and real espresso. Then he let us ride the designer velodrome in his back yard. "Mig bro, you ain't so fast now are you, ha ha ha...I'm comin for ya!!!"

William
04-23-2007, 07:47 AM
Of course big Mig doen't like to lose so just as I was coming around him, he hooked me and I hit the tarmac as he crossed the line. Chump! Ater calming down we laughed it off over anoth espresso and raspberry biscotti.

After dressing my wounds, we decided to head home. We got about three miles when we were attacked by a pack of wild, rabid dogs who chased us all the way back to the farm. Mrs William heard the commotion and let Rhea Basset out when we came sprinting in, she ripped that whole group a new one. Moral of the day? Don't mess with a pissed off Basset!!

After a night of good talk, jokes, and Galliano & milk, Big Mig took off and is heading home...and I'm ready for bed. Of course, I just noticed my TV is missing, and that crash in the pasture....and laughing I hear fading off into the distance does not boad well. He's such a joker. :rolleyes:

bostondrunk
04-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Willy,
You look like you lost weight.
When is Rhea coming to visit??

William
04-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Willy,
You look like you lost weight.
When is Rhea coming to visit??

Big Mig talked me into trying a Butter Beer and almond diet that he's trying out. Protein, fat, and empty calories. Can't beat it. :beer:

Com on down and I'll let you scratch her belly.

BaaWoo!!
BaaWoo!!

William

Ahneida Ride
04-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Where is the Zankaroonie ?

RIHans
04-24-2007, 12:51 AM
Well, Ya had the Duck, but you gave me no chance to cook!...Most disappointed! It's spring...did you at least have Ramps and Asparagus? A lil' Hollendaise? Next time the chopper drops in, call me, I'm around... Chef Hans

William
04-24-2007, 06:16 AM
Well, Ya had the Duck, but you gave me no chance to cook!...Most disappointed! It's spring...did you at least have Ramps and Asparagus? A lil' Hollendaise? Next time the chopper drops in, call me, I'm around... Chef Hans

Hans,

Next time Big Mig makes a landing I'll give you a ring. I'm sure you could sway him to drop the Butter Beer and Almond diet in a heart beat with your fine cooking. Just make sure you whip up some big helpings though, the man's got a hollow leg.

William ;)

Too Tall
04-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Reminds me of that time in Harlem me and Castro were sittin' around roasting chicken talkin' revolution over the romantic flame of a burning telephone book....dang...good times Willy good times. I'll send you a few of Comandante's chicken jokes, can't post them here they are kinda gamey ;)

pale scotsman
04-24-2007, 09:41 AM
That reminds me of that part in Star Wars where Darth Vader had Luke doing all those pushups and yelling, " I want your D O R! I want your D O R!"

Luke looked up at him with tears streaming down his face, " I ain't got no where to go..." ;)

rounder
04-24-2007, 09:23 PM
big mig is cool. never met him, but was watching the phil and paul show and big mig was descending at about 60-70 mph and you could see that he was skidding off the side of the road (with no guardrail, etc). he caught it up, righted himself without a ruffle and went down the hill. phil said (or maybe it was paul) that his brake pads had melted against the rim and locked up. that would have freaked me out. anyway, big mig isa good rider. it's cool that you know him.

William
04-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Yeah, Big Mig is a great guy. You know, it's a little known fact that Big Mig was actually a caddy and a pretty good golfer before he got heavily into cycling. I remember when he was trying to decide which way he wanted to go. I remember one experience he told me about:
"So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. "

You know, he figured he was set after that, and you know the rest.

William

rounder
04-26-2007, 09:07 PM
yeah...we know the rest. but...it makes you wonder...bet bigmig woulda crushed the field at the masters this year. it's like they coulda used a leader. anyway...he rode his bike with no sweat and won with aplomb...what more do you need to do.