PDA

View Full Version : Valve Extenders - Preferences?

1centaur
04-22-2007, 09:03 AM
An incident yesterday with my mini pump not..QUITE..latching on to a 52mm valve on 303 rims has me thinking about valve extenders, not so much for the 303s for which I can make sure I only have 60mm valve tubes, but for upcoming 404s I am thinking of building. While I see that biketiresdirect has a no name tube with an 80mm valve, it seems valve extenders are the expected solution (as Zipp indeed sells their own version).

My issue is that while I was at the LBS yesterday (limped 2 miles in on my uninflated tube) it became clear that the two valve extenders they had in hand did not do the job on my tube (they resorted to getting a floor pump that hooked up better than my mini) and the owner HATED the concept - thought they often interacted badly with the valve end so you could not count on them in a crunch. He thought tubes with replaceable cores was the right answer.

So, I know nothing about valve extenders and the verbiage on various sites is not highly descriptive. Are valve extenders a legitimate/reliable solution to getting the valve well beyond the edge of deep dish rims so that even my mini has no trouble getting the bite, or do wise people use a different solution?

Thank you in advance.

BdaGhisallo
04-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Inline valve extenders are the way to go for deep rims. Those valve extenders that go on the end of the tire valve with the little devices to open and close the valve tip are shiite.

Get the Vittoria or Tufo ( they are the same product in different packaging) inline extenders and put them on your valve stems after you remove the cores. And don't waste money for the little tools that they sell to install the extenders. They are cheap little plastic spanner type thingies that don't really do the job when you need to get the valve extender really type. Sometimes they come with the extenders, but I have seen they advertised separately for upwards of $5. Don't waste that money. A pair of pliers will do the job they do, and do it better than they do.

Check this:

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/valve_extension_31_mm.htm

buy them from these guys. They are a small mom and pop shop and very helpful.

dreadpiratetim
04-22-2007, 03:50 PM
I've had good luck w/ the Tufo's... If you don't get the plastic 'removal thingy' and rely on pliers make AND you ride with a spare tire, be sure to get a 3rd extender for your spare... Without the plastic 'removal thingy' you probably won't get the valve extender removed from the old tire and tightly sealed on the new one. Also, the Tufo's come in various lengths... not sure what you'd need for the 404s.

+1 on WorldClassCycles... quality people IMHO.

Z3c
04-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Take a look at the Zipp's as the top accepts an allen wrench for installing and removing, something you will probably have with you already.

Scott

Jack Brunk
04-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Inline valve extenders are the way to go for deep rims. Those valve extenders that go on the end of the tire valve with the little devices to open and close the valve tip are shiite.

Get the Vittoria or Tufo ( they are the same product in different packaging) inline extenders and put them on your valve stems after you remove the cores. And don't waste money for the little tools that they sell to install the extenders. They are cheap little plastic spanner type thingies that don't really do the job when you need to get the valve extender really type. Sometimes they come with the extenders, but I have seen they advertised separately for upwards of $5. Don't waste that money. A pair of pliers will do the job they do, and do it better than they do.

Check this:

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/valve_extension_31_mm.htm

buy them from these guys. They are a small mom and pop shop and very helpful.

++1

stevep
04-22-2007, 08:23 PM
ditch the mini pump and get some co-2. they will fill the tire all the way in 2 seconds...even if you spill a little youll get 95-100 psi.
recommended that you buy 2-3 extra cartridges and practice at home once or twice before using on the road.

SoCalSteve
04-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Whats wrong with Vredstein tubes that have 80 mm stems? They work great and no need to worry about valve extenders.

I have them on my Colnago Carbonissimo with Cosmic Carbones...

Good luck with whatever you go with (even though it seems like a solution that doesnt need to be).

Steve

Bruce K
04-23-2007, 03:43 AM
Stu is a big fan of the removable core tube/extender but not everyone has uses them.

I have had good luck using 60mm valved tubes with my HED Alps wheels. Theya re just long enoung to get a pump head on them.

Otherwise +1 on SoCalSteve's 80mm idea.

BK