PDA

View Full Version : NC Outer Banks bike rental?

bironi
04-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Does anyone know of a bike shop in the vicinity of the town of Duck, NC on the Outer Banks that might rent a decent road bike. A buddy of mine is planning to visit Duck in June, and would like to get in a long ride to be ready for a double century a couple weeks later. I rode this area a couple years ago on a visit. It did not seem very road bike friendly, but then I was riding some 30 year old 10 speed with a very painful saddle, but hey it was a bike, and it was a free loan. :beer:

Thanks much in advance.
Byron

trophyoftexas
04-22-2007, 05:24 AM
There is a small shop in Kitty Hawk that may have rentals....I think that they do. It's just off the main drag and right by the Wright Memorial. Nice people! That whole area has gotten soooooo conjested that my experience riding there was terrible. Some friends and I were there about a year ago and wouldn't go back for anything, like riding in downtown Dallas, maybe worse! Duck was about the BEST place to ride of all of the small 'bergs' along the OB....food in the area was OK at the best, nothing like we had hoped to find. My friends are basically flat land riders, next time it's WESTERN NC for me!

Kevin
04-22-2007, 06:17 AM
I have stayed just north of Duck for parts of 10 of the last 15 summers. There is a bike rental shop in Duck, but it rents "tourist bikes". I would suggest that your friend bring his own bike. As far as the riding, you need to head north from Duck on Route 12, if you go south you will get hammered by the traffic. In addition, do not ride on arrival or get away days (Saturday, Sunday), the traffic is bumper to bumper. With that said, early morning rides Monday through Friday between Duck and the end of Route 12 at the horse sanctuary are beautiful and windy. Good luck.

Kevin

bironi
04-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Kevin,
What is the distance, out and back from Duck north to the sancuary?
Thanks much,
Byron

Kevin
04-23-2007, 05:45 AM
Kevin,
What is the distance, out and back from Duck north to the sancuary?
Thanks much,
Byron

About 30 miles.

Kevin

rdparadise
04-23-2007, 09:52 AM
+1 Kevin.

I've been to the banks a number of years. Riding on Route 12 isn't bad as long as it's relatively early in the morning. Not much shoulder and of course, everybodies on vacation.

I'm going this year and will be staying in Corolla, not far from the end of Rt. 12. I'll be riding in the morning and going south to Duck and beyond. I may ride down to the main route where the bridge is but that's about it. Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, etc. have too much traffic for any really good riding.

Way south, by Hattaras wasn't that bad the last time I was there. Much less populated although, again, only one main route for cars and bikes.

Bob

djg
04-23-2007, 10:15 AM
It's been a few years, but we had a streak of summers where we spent some time around Duck. It's really ok during the week, if you hit the road reasonably early and head up to Carolla light rather than south. That is, it's not great, and the terrain comes in any shape you like as long as it's flat, but one can ride, and get some miles in, without too much trouble from traffic, etc. It's no place to go for the purpose of cycling, but I really was glad to have brought a bike with me each year.

Bobbo
04-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Any knowledge by forum members about how the OBX compares to Cape Cod? I'm talking summertime vacation congestion, beach quality and quantity, family friendliness, etc.

Thanks.

J.Greene
04-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Yes it's like Cape Cod. Part are very congested and parts less so. In the summer the water is warm. We spend a week every summer on the lower end of the banks. Bikes only need 2 speeds atmo. Headwind and tailwind.

JG

Lanny R. Levenson
04-23-2007, 10:05 PM
KDC is the bike shop in Kill Devil Hills and they might rent some road bikes. The bikes in the shop are mainly Shimano equiped. Most of the bikes for rental are beach cruisers. Call them and see what they offer.

As to routes for riding, people have already talked about the route north to Corolla and the road terminus. But I would like to say that once you're past The Sanderling there is a decent shoulder along the road in addition to the asphault path. There is a shopping area at Tim Buck II and I add 6 mile loops between the 3 roads on Whalehead and Lighthouse.

If you head south from Down Town Duck, making a right off Rt.12 on to Sea Oats Trail to Hill Crest to Hickory to DogWood Trail will bring you out on Rt 158, the road you'd come in on from the Wright Memorial Bridge. You can loop over Woods Road to Kitty Hawk Road and come out behind the Wright Brothers Memorial where you can head to Colington (6 mile out and back) or over to the beach road south toward Manteo. I ride these roads often and don't have many problems even during the summer. I tend to ride mid morning after the construction workers are at work and before they get off.

If you would like I can email routes I've constructed using Topo 5.0.

Lanny