PDA

View Full Version : Little 500

Ray
04-21-2007, 04:05 PM
I just saw a good chunk of this IU classic on TV - just stumbled onto it. What a great event! I'd pretty much lost my jones for bike racing after the doping scandals last year. I'm watching the classics, but with a jaundiced eye, to say the least.

But this college race is so cool! Everyone rides exactly the same bike with exactly the same gearing, same flat pedals, coaster brakes, etc. I think they get to choose saddles and maybe handlebars, but nothing else. They're riding on a 440 yard cinder track, fercryingoutloud and there are crashes galore. The transitions from one rider to another are critical and sometimes comical - one of the best riders in the racer, a guy from the Major Taylor team could NOT get on the bike, while some of them looked like polished cyclocross racers hopping on at full speed.

It took a little while to pick up on the tactics for this race, which are different from any other I've seen. It's a team event and the team coordination and sequencing is critical, but there's only one guy out there at a time from each team, so not the kind of tactics you're used to in a road race.

Just toss in a couple of mountains and they're really have something!

Then again, they're pretty serious about this race, so there'll probably be a doping scandal sometime soon.

-Ray

Bradford
04-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Little 5 is one of the best sporting events you will ever see live. I was fortunate enough to see 3 while getting my MA.

In my last year, I lived with the captain of the Phi Delt team. These guys treat it just like a varsity sport, as do the fans.

If you ever have a chance to check one out, I highly recommend it.

Ray
04-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Little 5 is one of the best sporting events you will ever see live. I was fortunate enough to see 3 while getting my MA.

In my last year, I lived with the captain of the Phi Delt team. These guys treat it just like a varsity sport, as do the fans.

If you ever have a chance to check one out, I highly recommend it.
Not sure I'd be able to follow it in person. Even with TV announcers and cameras focussed on the top 4-5 teams, it took awhile to figure out which teams were on the lead lap and who'd been lapped. I'd think it could get pretty confusing in person. I've seen Breaking Away about 1000 times and my sister lives in Bloomington, so I was certainly familiar with the race, but I'd never actually watched one. Fun stuff.

-Ray

2LeftCleats
04-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Just got home from hosting the tailgate party for the winning team, the Cutters who won for the 8th time. Beautiful day and a clean race, with relatively few mishaps. The riders on the most competive teams train all year long, obtain sponsorships from the likes of Powerbar and Rudy Project, and take this extremely seriously (but not to the point of doping--it might interfere with the drinking this next week). I'm the proud papa of one of the riders.

Ray
04-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Just got home from hosting the tailgate party for the winning team, the Cutters who won for the 8th time. Beautiful day and a clean race, with relatively few mishaps. The riders on the most competive teams train all year long, obtain sponsorships from the likes of Powerbar and Rudy Project, and take this extremely seriously (but not to the point of doping--it might interfere with the drinking this next week). I'm the proud papa of one of the riders.
Congratulations! I don't know if this is what won it for them, since it came down to a sprint among the top five teams, but their rider to rider transitions were the smoothest of the bunch. Consistently too. Pretty impressive.

-Ray

Marcusaurelius
04-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Didn't they base the movie Breaking Away on this race?

Fivethumbs
04-22-2007, 12:08 AM
Was the Cutter team there?

Ray
04-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Didn't they base the movie Breaking Away on this race?
Yup, see three posts up.

Was the Cutter team there?
Yup, see three posts up - they won again.

-Ray

PBWrench
04-22-2007, 11:40 AM
My daughter wil be going to IU starting next fall. I'm going to have to dig up an orange Masi for my late-April visit.

Dave B
04-22-2007, 07:03 PM
worked as a team mechanic in 98 for the Frat, and coached a girls team as well. Well, Iwouldn't call it coaching, but at least a manager.

What an amazing thing it was. Do not under estimate these kids. Some of the "power house" teams are run like mini-pro teams. I bet there will be guys/gals training tomorrow for next year.

Phil KNigt of Nike helped the Fiji team with some gear back in the day. (He was one at his school)

In 97 Lance was the grand marshal on a visit to the IU med center for treatment.

Got his autograph as I was a big fan back then.

Still have it on my Fraternity shirt.

I grew up in B-town, and you would not understand how huge that race is.

Tens of thousands of people come to watch and PARTY!

Anyway check it out if you can, it is amazing!

Clay
04-22-2007, 07:43 PM
I went to school there, lil 5, rode a lot at Major Taylor velodrome. If it wasnt for the winters it an awesome bike area. I highly recommend the Hilly Hundred.

Erik.Lazdins
04-23-2007, 08:19 AM
I volunteered to work Tulsa's Little 100 which is open to Middle and High School teams. Great day, lots of kids riding bikes - Whats not to love?

This event has been held the last several years and is based on the original.

Little 100
RACE DAY SCHEDULE
April 21, 2007
Webster High School
1919 W. 40th St.
(W 40th St. - Southwest Blvd)

7:30 am - 8:30 am
Event Day Grounds Preparation / Organization
8:30 am - 2:30 pm
Registration /
Packet Pickup / All Teams

9:30 am - 11:00 am