PDA

View Full Version : Black hubs...

SoCalSteve
04-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Hi all,

Looking to build up a wheelset (all black).

Beyong DT Swiss 240's and Chris King, who makes a nice 32 hole, Shimano compatible hub set in black?

Dont mind spending a decent amount on it, but nothing uber fancy or expensive.

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

PS: If it makes a difference, I will probably use either DT Swiss RR 1.2 rims or CXP 33's (in black).

93legendti
04-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Tune
American Classic
Mavic?

SoCalSteve
04-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Tune
American Classic
Mavic?

Arent Tune hubs extremely pricey?

Does Mavic make just a hubset?

American Classics? Are they reliable and easy to build with?

Thanks,

Steve

norman neville
04-21-2007, 01:31 PM
ummm, chris king?

if'n you don't wanna spring for the king, then white industries in black from speedream. yummers.

SoCalSteve
04-21-2007, 01:33 PM
ummm, chris king?
if'n you don't wanna spring for the king, then white industries in black from speedream. yummers.

Too noisy and expensive for what you get.

I'll look into White Industries. I didnt know they came in black. I have a set now (in silver). I like them very much.

Thanks!

Steve

bigbill
04-21-2007, 01:34 PM
I have a new wheelset from Joe Young with DT supercomp black spokes. Very light, thick at the hub and thin at the nipple. In 22 years of riding, I have broken several spokes at the hub while out riding. The only spokes that I ever broken at the nipple involved another bike. The hubs (PW) were silver but everything else was black including the Velocity rims. There are the Joe Young signature red nipples on either side of the valve stem hole.

Ken Robb
04-21-2007, 01:42 PM
doesn't Odds n'Endos have some nice black hubs?

SoCalSteve
04-21-2007, 01:48 PM
doesn't Odds n'Endos have some nice black hubs?

Even though Mike Garcia is a really nice guy and has great prices, I have had really bad luck with his products and wheel builds over the years...

I have a local builder here in LA who does a great job of building me a strong wheelset...I bring him hubs and rims and come back a week later...$30.00 in labor and $20.00 for parts (black)...

Just seems to work out better for me this way.

Steve

cadence90
04-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Phil Wood or White Industries.

I don't know if the new White Ind. H1 hubs are available in black (I think they are, upon request), but all WI hubs used to be available in black.

I have a set of all-black Velocity Fusion/Sapim CX-Ray/White Industries LTA and Racer-X hubs, built by Dave Thomas. Super wheels.

Also, as an alternative, I think Troy can anodize any hubset.

Ligero
04-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Phil Wood or White Industries.

I don't know if the new White Ind. H1 hubs are available in black (I think they are, upon request), but all WI hubs used to be available in black.

I have a set of all-black Velocity Fusion/Sapim CX-Ray/White Industries LTA and Racer-X hubs, built by Dave Thomas. Super wheels.

Also, as an alternative, I think Troy can anodize any hubset.

I can anodize them colors but there is no need to. White Industries does all of there hubs in black for a $5 upcharge.

Serotta PETE
04-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Spokes made up a DT pair for me about 2000 miles ago and I am very happy with them They come in black or silver BUT the black looks nice on my CSI

oldguy00
04-21-2007, 04:45 PM
I had a pair of the newer American Classic hubs. I hated them. Found that dirt got into them very easily and was difficult to clean out. They felt like they were grinding when spun by hand..

SadieKate
04-21-2007, 05:27 PM
White Industries. I have a pair of the black on Velocity Aerohead OC rims with Sapim X-ray spokes. Built by John Ackley of BFWG. This househould now have three pairs of wheels by him with WI hubs. Guess you could say we're very pleased with the hubs and him.

RDP
04-21-2007, 11:06 PM
FWIW - Tune hubs built up for me by Ligero.

soulspinner
04-22-2007, 09:17 AM
I had another spoke break on my dt hubbed wheelset and put on another wheel thats silver. I love the look. Like bbs on a porsche(polished).

Ahneida Ride
04-22-2007, 09:59 AM
White Ind, Gets my vote ... :banana: :beer:

After 3K miles, the front hub needed a tad bit of grease.

Whites are Bombproof and look cool too. ;)

Peter P.
04-22-2007, 12:41 PM
A couple years ago, Shimano offered 105 hubs in black. I suggest scouring the 'net or asking some local shops if they can find them for you.