PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between a red neck &...

William
06-07-2004, 02:20 PM
What's the difference between...

A red neck and a swamp yankee?

Really, is there a difference?

I have had my share of run-ins with red-necks on the back roads of Oregon, but I think I just had my first encounter with a truck load of swamp yankees (I believe that's what you call rednecks in New England...please correct me if I'm wrong). Luckily for me they didn't hit me with their truck. :no: Luckily for them they didn't stop. I just got cursed, spit at and had a half full bottle of Ya-hoo or what ever you call that chocolate stuff thrown at me. After a run in with a couple of red neck loggers (and they are a different breed) on the back side of the Lewis burg saddle, I always make sure I'm covered. :p

Ahhh, the joys of cycling.

Anyway, other then that, it was a great ride!

William

Sandy
06-07-2004, 02:25 PM
From your description of yourself, if I remember correctly, better luck for the truck, and super better luck for those in the truck, since they did not come out and discuss the incident with you.

Sandy

Tom
06-07-2004, 02:31 PM
I wonder if it was the same bunch that threw a bottle of chocolate drink at my wife about two or three weeks ago. She was out for a morning run in Old Dorp and a bunch of geniuses from (we suspect) the local college pegged one that didn't miss by much. It shattered against the wall next to her. They sped away.

I'm paying particular attention to squarish silver SUV/Jeep style vehicles with no spare tire on the back.

ericmurphy
06-07-2004, 03:05 PM
This is the typical scenario: I'm 200 yards from the stop sign, headed slightly downhill and doing about 22-25 MPH. I hear a horn behind me. I don't move out of the lane, because a) I'm doing the speed limit, and b) I'm now about 175 yards from the stop sign. Is this jerk planning on racing me to the stop sign?

Step two: said jerk, invariably driving some ludicrously-high-center-of-gravity SUV (I keep typing 'SUC' which might be more accurate anyway), pulls ahead of me, and immediately cuts me off, forcing me to brake hard to avoid creating a bicyclist-shaped dent in his rear quarter panel.

Step 3: said jerk now has to brake hard to avoid running the light. He is now in my way, and slows my progress through the intersection.

Do they give prizes out for this kind of behavior?

And who did that song, "And That's When I Reached for My Revolver"?

Ken Lehner
06-07-2004, 03:16 PM
This is the typical scenario: I'm 200 yards from the stop sign, headed slightly downhill and doing about 22-25 MPH. I hear a horn behind me. I don't move out of the lane, because a) I'm doing the speed limit, and b) I'm now about 175 yards from the stop sign. Is this jerk planning on racing me to the stop sign?

Step two: said jerk, invariably driving some ludicrously-high-center-of-gravity SUV (I keep typing 'SUC' which might be more accurate anyway), pulls ahead of me, and immediately cuts me off, forcing me to brake hard to avoid creating a bicyclist-shaped dent in his rear quarter panel.

Step 3: said jerk now has to brake hard to avoid running the light. He is now in my way, and slows my progress through the intersection.

Do they give prizes out for this kind of behavior?

And who did that song, "And That's When I Reached for My Revolver"?

My tale is similar: coming to a red light just past a fork in the road, I take enough of the lane so that I don't get cut off. Suburban honks at me as it squeezes by to get to the light. At said light, the driver yells something like "why don't you act like a man and get off your bike?" I reply, "why don't you act like a man and get out of your car?". Guy slams it into park, and moves like he's gonna open the door. For some reason, I knew he was bluffing, and started laughing. Light turns green, and I ride away.

William
06-07-2004, 03:43 PM
From your description of yourself, if I remember correctly, better luck for the truck

I guess that would be about the equivellent of hitting a moose. I'd make them sorry they ever tried hitting me! TAKE THAT!!! :p

As far as them stopping, You would be surprised. Because of my other line of work, I've developed many uses for the tools/gear that a cyclist will generally carry that can be utilized for self-defense. Unfortunaltly they don't work to well against the truck. :rolleyes:

I wonder if it was the same bunch that threw a bottle of chocolate drink at my wife about two or three weeks ago.

Sorry to hear that. And I'm glad she didn't get hurt. These nuts were driving an old red Ford F-250 pick-up. Like you, I'll be watching for that truck when I'm out and about. The town I live in isn't that big. ;)

ericmurphy & Ken Lehner, I know what you mean. :crap:

I had a similar scenario in Oregon City a few years ago. A guy in a T-top Vette (instead of the usual SUV) decided that he needed to be in front of me coming up to a light. With about 30 yards to go, he guns it and fishtails around me. I swear the nose of his car looked like it was only a foot or so away from my pedals when I looked to my left. He screeches to a stop in front of me at the light. I guess this idiot just thought I would sit in back of him in awe of his driving skills.:rolleyes: Now, I look a lot smaller than I really am on my bike, I unclip as I pull up on his driver side and stop right next to his door. He actually acted surprised to see me. As I stood up, I leaned directly over the top of his car looking straight down on him through his T-top and and started going off, " what the F.. is your F'n problem you mo-fo... The guy looked like he was about to wet himself before he gunned it when the light changed. Not the smartest thing I've ever done but I was pissed.

William

csb
06-07-2004, 04:16 PM
maine: main-E-acs (southern maine: mass-holes)
massachusetts (my home state): mass-holes
vermont: uttersuckers, lost hippies
new hampshire: flems
rhode island: junior (dwarf) connecti-cu_t-ians
connecticut: connecti-c_nt-ians

Dekonick
06-07-2004, 09:58 PM
lots of times Ill flash a badge. Works wonders.

They dont look close enough to see fire department hehe.

ericmurphy
06-08-2004, 12:55 AM
1. I'm riding in Marin, heading up the hill at the beginning of an overpass. To my right is the on-ramp to Highway 101. 20 yards or so before the on-ramp, I see the right front fender of a Volvo station wagon, about three feet off my left brake lever. I can tell the driver is trying to decide whether to cut me off and cross in front of me to get onto the on-ramp, or just slow down and slip in behind me. Evidently the driver decides it makes more sense to wait, and pulls in behind me. As the Volvo heads up the on-ramp, a passenger (gender indeterminate) in the back seat rolls down the window and yells, "Don't you know how to signal?!" I yell back, "What's the signal for going straight? Or did you think I was taking my bike onto the freeway?"

2. Same overpass, different day. There's a stoplight about 50 feet in front of me. I'm heading uphill, so I'm probably doing 10-15 MPH. The light's red, but some jerk in an Accord is leaning on his horn directly behind me. I stop, plant, turn around, and yell, "What the #$% is your problem? Were you planning on running the light?" Said jerk opens driver side door, begins to get out, realizes car is still in gear, puts car in park, exits car, yells, "Oh, yeah? You want me to kick your ass?" I dismount, reach over my shoulder, pull my U-lock out of my Camelback, stand there. Jerk gets back in car.

3. Riding with a friend from San Francisco to Santa Cruz. We're coming through downtown Santa Cruz, she's riding to my left. Some jerk (fat gray-haired white boy in wife-beater and cowboy hat, driving a Toyota 4X4 pickup) blows past us, leaning on horn. She gives him the finger. He fishtails to a stop in the next driveway, gets out of his truck (beer-belly hiding beltloops on shorts), and yells to me (because, like, I'm the guy, or something), "I'm gonna kick your ass." As I ride by him, maybe six feet away, I say quietly but audibly, "Get back in your truck, round boy."

csb
06-08-2004, 01:29 AM
(get back in your truck) round boy ha ha!!

shinomaster
06-08-2004, 02:08 AM
Trust me I was hit with a basketball in Lexington MA. and have been almost run off the road " out west" here is Oregon by lowly vermin. Is there a superior vermin? No..

Weather it's a hockey playing New England jock from Arlington or a Lumberjack from the woods of Oregon if they choose to wage war on cyclists then are probably not my friend.

so sad,

Loving Sad shino

victoryfactory
06-08-2004, 07:23 AM
True...
Last summer as I rode by a deli here in Queens, NY a bunch of local morons
were yelling at me - "get off the road, queer", etc. The next day as I
rode by the same spot, same guys, it was "Hey Lance! go for it! "etc.

The difference?
That was the day after the tour ended, and these beef-wits apparently
saw our boy winning the race on their TeeVees.

VF, who would never be mistaken for Lance by sober individuals...

kenyee
06-08-2004, 08:58 AM
I've been meaning to ask this: why don't bikers who've encountered nutty drivers wear a hidden camera?

MTBers mount them on their helmets to record their exploits on the trails, so they're small enough. You can take the video to the cops who should easily be able to write up driving to endanger charges (felony in MA) or at least scare the half wits so they don't do it again. They also seem to be prosecuting road rage more now too, so you have an even better chance.

dohearne
06-08-2004, 02:25 PM
This thread reminds of an incident I had 10 years ago. A VW bug with 4 young men drove me into a ditch by coming straight at me in the car and drove off laughing hysterically. I was, to say the least, angry. An hour later, I look up a long straight away and see the same car headed my way. By coincidence, I spied a long necked wine bottle on the road side. I snatched up the bottle but kept it to my side. When the car was about 50 yards away, I brought it up with the full intention of putting it through the windshield. Amazingly 4 guys in a car decided to retreat from one guy on a bicycle by stopping suddenly and turning in the opposite direction. I pedaled furiously after them with wine bottle and not so kind words waving in the air. Since then I have often had 2 thoughts: 1) it must have been a funny sight with a solo biker brandishing a wine bottle chasing after a VW bug; and 2) thank goodness the car turned, as my actions were foolish.

Sandy
06-08-2004, 03:11 PM
I would never be mistaken for Lance by drunk individuals.....

Still Sober STill Serotta Sandy

jerk
06-08-2004, 04:17 PM
wear a u.s. pro national championship jersey and the red necks will show you respect. i don't know why but ****nuts who run bikes off the road really are a patriotic bunch and will show some respect to a rider clad in old glory.
it's sick but they will think you're supporting the troops and stuff when you're really just supporting a mediocre fourth place finish by a kid named rodriguez..

jerk

shinomaster
06-08-2004, 04:20 PM
so what you are saying is that I shouldn't wear my Turkish National team outfit with a crescent moon and star? Rats....

and yes I have one..

Sandy
06-08-2004, 04:46 PM
You just got me thinking. Do you think that it is not a good idea to wear my cycling jersey with a bulls eye on it? It was a gift from my best bud Kevan.

Sandy

Satellite
06-08-2004, 04:53 PM
It was 1996 I was heading to work the swing shift approx. 3:30pm. I was riding in the bike lane on HWY Business 50. A car passenger yells at me from behind while I was very concentrated. Scared the cr@p out of me I swerved into the median almost endowed. I got back on my bike and the car was stopped at the light directly ahead. I sprinted up to the light with my water bottle in my hand and drenched the passenger as I blew through the light on to the frontage road. They chased me; the passenger was a younger kid the driver looked to be an older brother. I would have loved to beat both of them up. However I managed to trick them and pull a U-Turn back to the intersection I ran the light. Got across the HWY and made it safely to work.

Maybe it was stupid but these people are getting worse. Some jerk yelled at me to ride on the sidewalk yesterday. If I could have got his license plate I would have pressed charges. Another jerk turned on some kind of siren just as he passed last week.

shinomaster
06-08-2004, 04:57 PM
there have been so many times when I have wanted to do that, but I can never catch the car.. I think I should carry pepper spray on certain rides. Honestly for self defence. I have had some really MEAN looks from guys in big pickups..

Sandy
06-08-2004, 05:01 PM
I get mean looks from women walking their little dogs. I even get mean looks from the little dogs.

Sandy

shinomaster
06-08-2004, 05:06 PM
silly sandy....You are fibbing again! :no: :no:

Keith A
06-09-2004, 12:59 PM
I have had many similar experiences and I hear "get on the sidewalk" at least once a week. There are two experiences that stick out in my mind that I thought I'd share here.

1. While riding alone on a somewhat busy four (or more) lane road on route to meet a riding friend for an evening ride. All of a sudden, the passenger in a truck hits me in the middle of back with their closed fist. I didn't hear the truck approaching, just all of sudden...WHAM. I pulled off the road, as the blow was hard enough that it was quite painful and left a large bruise. Unfortunately, the truck sped off quickly and being somewhat dazed by the blow, I didn't think to get their license tag.

2. Early one morning, a group of three of us was riding on a lightly traveled two-lane road and was slowing for stop sign at "T" intersection. Some yahoo in a truck comes by us and yells some obscenities along with something about running us off the road. He then quickly cuts in front of us, almost hitting the first rider and goes off the road as to reinforce his statement about running us off the road. There are a couple of cars in front of him waiting to turn onto the next road. The jerk is turning left and there is barely enough room to squeeze past him without going off the road as we proceed to the stop sign where we are turning right.

As I pass the bed of his truck, I slap the bed with my open hand, which makes a loud noise. This really sets the guy off, so he forgoes his intended destination and turns right and chases us down. He pulls up beside us and is almost fuming at the mouth, and is yelling for us to stop and is serving his truck at us and almost hits us on several occasions. Even with two other people with me (one was a female), I'm not about to stop because this guy is a lunatic. He speeds ahead, pulls off the road and gets out of this truck and tries to tackle me as I approach him. I easily avoid this crazy man and continue down the road. He decides to give up and turns around to continue with his original destination. The kicker is that he had his 4-6 year-old son in the front seat the whole time!!!!

It is a sad world that we live where these people feel that have to act agressively against others for whatever reason.

shannon
06-09-2004, 10:28 PM
I often give cars a gentle pat if they've cut it too close and I have an opportunity to catch up to them. Obviously every situation is different and occasionally you run into the psycho, but overall it seems like a good idea to me, there might be an initial burst of anger but it must be a little humiliating for most and in the end a net negative experience for them that they'd rather not repeat, and I think some people really don't know just how close they come. I know some people think it's a bad idea, just adding to the anger, and after the helmet discussion it would be interesting to hear how others feel about it. Sometimes through town and down a slight grade cars will creep right up along side of me at about 25mph, always seems like a strange thing to do so instead of breaking or speeding or moving over I just reach out and rest my left hand on the hood for a couple seconds, interesting reactions!

SBash
06-09-2004, 11:32 PM
I'am usually very good at putting things on ignore. One time though i was pushed to my limits before i could ride the daily stress off. I was ridding one of my normal routes when i heard a vehicle comming up behind me honking his horn, yelling out his window pulled right in front of me and cut me off. I veered off the road just in time and was very lucky. I was so pissed off that i was able to chase him down because he was stuck at a light. I yelled at him to pull over, that i had his license and was going to call the cops. He pulled over, got out of his car, i got off my bike, took my helmet off and went right up to him face to face. I was bigger, old enough to be his dad, my veins popping out of my neck. I told him he better apologise or I was going to kick his ass and hit him so hard his dad was going to bleed. Thank god he apologised and we shook hands because i'am not a fighter. Maybe it was my bad breath!

SB
Wants a MX Leader soon!

Russ
06-10-2004, 12:34 AM
Well, I must say my pals that in "rural" South Florida, there are not many red-necks. I think they all left after they saw so many Latinos around. But every once in a long while I find myself in a situation involving stupid drivers or pedestrians.

For example, today, this happened: It was raining and this old lady sees me coming as she slowly keeps driving into the road.... By the look on her face, I anticipate that she is not going to stop.

As you know bike brakes are the worse when wet, so I slow down, but my bike ends very close to her car. She sees me, but keeps driving slowly to the point that she makes me go further into the traffic. At this point I am almost in the middle of the lane, when another moron blasts the horn at me! I gesture back to the moron, explaining the reason why I am in the middle of the road, but this driver seems clueless about everything that is happening... It seems that the old lady was also clueless.

I get back to safer riding into the bike lane and shake my head in disbelief.... Sometimes I wonder what's worse the red-necks or the pain_in_the_ass morons.

When will driver education and stiff penalties become a reality in this country? Would the gas have to reach $10 a gallon before this happens?

PLEASE ride safe!!!!

Too Tall
06-10-2004, 06:19 AM
Y'all are gonna lose. Cars weigh...alot...you weigh...not much. If you are going to ride a long time on the roads and don't want to be squished yah need to stay the "f" off of peoples radar to whatever extent is possible. Yes, they are going to throw crap at you, yell and hit you too....but you can't do a freakin' thing about it while you are on your bike. Get the tag...good idea. Make a U turn and get aways...good idea. Stop well behind them at lights...good idea. Somebody tell me why they think it's a good idea to re-pass someone who just tried to whack you? Or, why it's a good idea to start a fight while you are ontop a bike and in cleats? Derrr.

If you are going to fight...think like Elmer Fudd. I'm not against beating the tar out of some fool. But for crizz sakes don't give THEM the odds. Be smart(er).

Sandy
06-10-2004, 07:13 AM
OK, so I drove much too close to Too Tall in my modified 800 horsepower twin turbo $549,228 Porsche pickup truck. Sure, I admit that I spun those huge rear tires sending gravel, rocks, and even a few babies and their strollers, in the direction of Too Tall. Yes, it is true that I ran over his feet a few times, with my 250 pound wheels, as he was trying to climb out of the ditch with his bicycle. OK, I will even admit that I made just a little fun of his skinny legs and those funny looking tight pink shorts that he was wearing.

But now it is payback time. He is approaching me with an Abrams tank, somehow equipped with Cruise missles. His lovely wife, Somewhat Shorter, is overhead in a modified Israeli Attack Helicopter. What should I do? Apologize to Too Tall and Mrs. Too Tall, or unload all the wrath and fury in my secret arsenal that comes with the "Fight To The Finish Sport Package" ($45,000 option) and annihilate them? Too Tall and Somewhat Shorter are really nice, but I have my image to maintain as Porsche Pickup Pulverizer.

Crush the critters? Apologize? What should I do????

Ready To Launch and Most Able,

Sandy

Jollymon
06-10-2004, 08:52 AM
there have been so many times when I have wanted to do that, but I can never catch the car.. I think I should carry pepper spray on certain rides. Honestly for self defence. I have had some really MEAN looks from guys in big pickups..

Hey Shino...
I always keep some pepper spray on me. Usually, it's for the COMPLETELY irrational, because chances are the eye sting is going to heal and they are going to be on the warpath...I spray it when I sense that I am getting dangerously close to bodily injury. Luckily I have only had to do it once in 17 years. The kind with dye in it will really put a hole in their day...it's ugly...and it doesn't wash off!

Russ
06-10-2004, 11:33 AM
....The kind with dye in it will really put a hole in their day...it's ugly...and it doesn't wash off!

Hey Jolly,

Where can you get this kind? I'd love to have some of that stuff for the roads down here...

Jollymon
06-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Hey Jolly,

Where can you get this kind? I'd love to have some of that stuff for the roads down here...

I bought mine at Galyan's in Buford, GA. I travel to Florida at least once a week, and I don't think I have seen a Galyan's in Florida. The display was at the checkout register by the shoes. The only dye type I have found since then has UV dye (can only be seen by UV light) Here is a link to one that can be purchased online:
http://www.facemace.com/

Let me caution you, though. This stuff could send someone into orbit and they could hunt you down and make your life miserable. I think Too Tall's suggestion is best, ignore them if you can and hopefully nothing will happen. It is so much easier to ignore, though when you know you've got a card to play that they don't know about. These people are incredibly ignorant and wreckless. Pepper in the face could make it difficult for everyone else out there as they may take their revenge out on everyone. The guy that I sprayed, couldn't control his car, so he had to pull over (it's amazing how being able to see helps in the driving process!) It gave me time to get his license plate number. When I got home, I called the cops. Of course, the cops didn't do too much about it, they just told me to be more careful. I heard rumor later that Pepper Spray was illegal in my state, but I never bothered to find out for sure. Be sure to get their license plate information and call the cops...let them know you aren't joking around. Anyway, when someone is threatening me while I am riding and wont' knock it off, I figure it's me or them. I am all for peace and turning the other cheek, but not at the cost of my safety.

Russ
06-10-2004, 01:31 PM
....I am all for peace and turning the other cheek, but not at the cost of my safety.

Hey,

I am with you... I would not use this stuff to provoke anyone. I just feel like it would be nice to have something like this with me, just_in_case.

Dekonick
06-10-2004, 01:48 PM
I have to admit - I never thought about getting some cyanne pepper spray with dye. THey make it in small lipstick size packs - but it is illegal in alot of places; like Baltimore City, but its ok in Howard County (columbia).

I like the camera idea but who is gonna want to carry the wt? (I dont care as I weigh too much to worry about grams... but the racers...)

I am telling you that the badge works. You can get them made at www.galls.com - just make sure you do not get one with police on it -its illegal to impersonate a P. officer. I use mine legally, and it REALLY makes people shut up. They get a little nervous when they realize that THEY may get in trouble!

Best advice I have is - smile, wave, be friendly, stop for lights (dont coast thru them - pisses ppl off) etc. AND VOTE! :D

REDNECK = :butt:

MadRocketSci
06-10-2004, 02:04 PM
pretty soon everyone will have'm, for both good and bad. heard they've prevented some kidnappings....

William
06-10-2004, 02:08 PM
1). This technique was imparted to me by a friend who lived in downtown Portland and had to bike out of the city for every ride to get up to Skyline Blvd or shoot out hwy 30. I’m not advocating this but after having my share of encounters with them, I can understand why he did it. Tri-Met bus drivers are notorious for cutting off cyclists. Whenever a bus driver would cut him off, if he could catch it at the next light he would ride up on the right side of the bus and knock the side mirror out of whack. The bus driver would have to stop the bus and get out of his seat to readjust it.
Of course now you have a pissed off bus driver which probably leads into a vicious cycle of wanting to cut off cyclists.

Let’s not forget the elderly (no disrespect meant to anyone on this forum over the age of 40….just kidding!).

2.) I was on the flat lands of the Willamette Valley, just outside of Corvallis, OR. Peoria Rd. is the route we would take to get out to our sprint training grounds. I was off on a side road in a small stand of woods when I came across a fawn standing just off the road. I stopped my bike (riding solo) and got a fig Newton out of my jersey to try and entice the baby deer to take it from me. She just stood there about ten feet away looking at me. I’m sitting on my top tube talking baby talk to a baby dear when all of a sudden a BIG late 60’s early 70’s pale yellow Plymouth comes bombing out of nowhere from around the corner riding the shoulder of the road. All I can see in the windshield is a little pair of gnarly white hands gripping the steering wheel and a big gray beehive hair-do coming up from behind the dashboard. One moment it’s me and nature, peaceful and serene. The next moment it’s Bambi and I scrambling and diving for cover. That old women in the bomber Plymouth never even let up on the gas. I don’t think she saw us at all. Heck, I don’t even think she could see over the dashboard.

TOO TALL is correct though it's usually better to turn the cheek or get the info down to pass on the the police. But, I always believe in being prepared for those times the the other person just won't leave you alone. Like the old saying goes:

Walk softly and carry a big stick.

William

shannon
06-10-2004, 10:34 PM
I love those big side view mirrors, some vehicles it's the only thing they're going to notice being smacked, and I always figure after they've nearly run me off the road while passing they probably needed to be re-adjusted anyway.
Wouldn't go so far as to recommend it, it has to be totally righteous or you'll feel bad about it later, but it's become almost habit to me. I used to worry about adding to some vicious cycle that could end on someone else but I think there are big benenfits to an instant payback if you can do it without too much risk to yourself. Obviously your going to piss them off, and you need to pay attention to your surroundings, but I think even for those people they still learn something from the encounter after the initial rage reaction. Could be that I'm fooling myself and that I have my own serious case of road rage, I mean, I still love to ride on some deeper level, but around traffic I think the adrenaline kicks in and it becomes very combative, pure survival experience, maybe a little addictive too. Interestingly, this has never happened to me behind the wheel.

J.M. White
06-11-2004, 09:37 AM
I recently purchased a cell phone with built in camera. There's a $15 per month service charge for PCS Vision, but it's a price I'm willing to pay to have ready access to a camera if (or when) I'm harassed on the road. The camera may not provide the greatest detail, but it will, at least, help confirm the description of the vehicle. If I'm lucky and get a shot with the license plate, Mr. or Ms. Bicyclehater will be in deep trouble.

Remember, in most states, harassment of the type many of you have described could constitute assault and/or reckless endangerment. Don't mess with these bastards, just tell them to say "Cheese"!