PDA

View Full Version : New info Mo Wilson

Pages : [1] 2

KonaSS
05-20-2022, 11:15 AM
https://www.velonews.com/news/road/austin-police-issue-arrest-warrant-in-moriah-wilson-murder-case/

Pegoready
05-20-2022, 11:26 AM
Woah. Mind blown.

I was just geeking out on Colin/Kaitlin's Spartan trailer business after the Radavist article.

This is crazy.

KonaSS
05-20-2022, 11:31 AM
Beginning to look like a story as old as time. So unfortunate.

Zee
05-20-2022, 11:32 AM
I messaged Angry a little bit after locking my thread with the update as shared here.

Big news, no matter how you slice it.

RIP Mo.

72gmc
05-20-2022, 11:36 AM
What a nightmare for so many people.

Clean39T
05-20-2022, 11:41 AM
I apologize for the derailing of the other thread. This has hit hard. I unfortunately have personal experiences with events in my past that seemed similar to what was assumed to have happened here - women I knew who have been assaulted and/or killed by "jealous ex-boyfriends".. What was known of the circumstances prior to the post in this thread led me to think that's what had happened here. And that's why I reacted strongly to use of the phrase "crime of passion" - it has been used in the past to excuse violence against women, hence the link to misogyny. I was just trying to raise awareness of that. I tried to caveat things and note that I wasn't implying that's what was meant by the person who posted it. Obviously that did not come through clearly enough and the line of discussion that was opened took away from the grieving and sharing and showing of support that the thread had been about. And I'm sorry for kicking open that door. I'd be happy to delete my comments if the other thread is reopened......

As for what's above, just... W - T - actual - F.

I can't wrap my head around it.

So ridiculously sad, tragic, and senseless.

spoonrobot
05-20-2022, 11:52 AM
Am I reading this correctly? It is suspected that a woman shot another women to death over suspected/perceived advances on her partner/boyfriend?

I can't wrap my head around it.

You had all the answers when you thought it was a man that committed the murder. The misogynistic bigotry of soft expectations. "What?! A woman couldn't kill another woman!"

KJMUNC
05-20-2022, 11:53 AM
Incredible and super sad, but people do crazy things, regardless of their position in life. Rich/poor, famous/normal....all just people making choices in their lives.

Kaitlin is into the Austin real estate scene and a big yoga guru. *Edit, just read the full article....crazy someone would drive up in their own car and do this (if that's what happened) and think they can get away with it. either way, a permanent solution for a temporary problem for so many.

rallizes
05-20-2022, 11:56 AM
Nvm

Clean39T
05-20-2022, 12:01 PM
You had all the answers when you thought it was a man that committed the murder. The misogynistic bigotry of soft expectations. "What?! A woman couldn't kill another woman!"

Don't know how that's your takeaway from what I said above - but whatever..

I can't wrap my head around someone choosing to take someone else's life in any situation other than immediate self-defense. I know it happens. That doesn't make it any easier to digest or make peace with.

Matthew
05-20-2022, 12:04 PM
So terribly tragic. After reading the articles I thought it may well be an acquaintance of the male friend of Mo's. Not surprised at all when hearing of the charges. So ridiculously senseless.

AngryScientist
05-20-2022, 12:11 PM
The word "partner" in modern language confuses me. I guess the word girlfriend or wife is out of date for whatever reason.

I dont know much about Colin Strickland - is this person his romantic partner or a business partner, or both i guess?

Pegoready
05-20-2022, 12:16 PM
The word "partner" in modern language confuses me. I guess the word girlfriend or wife is out of date for whatever reason.

I dont know much about Colin Strickland - is this person his romantic partner or a business partner, or both i guess?

Well, not all people are married.

I'm not. I've been with my partner 20 years and we have a kid. It feels weird to call her my girlfriend but not accurate to call her my wife (though I do at times, when it's a casual conversation and cuts through the BS).

Back to this incredible situation, we should all remember to assume anyone in this country has a gun or easy access to a gun and that seemingly rational people act in insane irrational ways at perceived or real slights. I don't know what else to take away from this situation but that thought.

FlashUNC
05-20-2022, 12:20 PM

Because they are incomplete descriptors.

Sometimes you're with someone long enough, and not married, that you left girlfriend/boyfriend stuff long-time back.

Sympathies to Mo's friends, family. Godspeed and may her memory one day be a blessing.

GregL
05-20-2022, 12:21 PM
I dont know much about Colin Strickland - is this person his romantic partner or a business partner, or both i guess?Both. https://kaitlinarmstrong.kuperrealty.com/about.

Greg

Mark McM
05-20-2022, 12:26 PM

I'm not. I've been with my partner 20 years and we have a kid. It feels weird to call her my girlfriend but not accurate to call her my wife (though I do at times, when it's a casual conversation and cuts through the BS).

Depending on what state you live in, you could have a common law marriage.

jm714
05-20-2022, 12:32 PM
Both. https://kaitlinarmstrong.kuperrealty.com/about.

Gregit looks like they have already removed her. Link wouldn’t work

AngryScientist
05-20-2022, 12:33 PM
Yea that link was dead for me too.

I wonder if they have her under arrest yet? Is she a cyclist also?

GregL
05-20-2022, 12:36 PM
it looks like they have already removed her. Link wouldn’t workModern business etiquette. Delete all web links in time of crisis.

This story is incredibly sad on so many levels. Two lives destroyed (victim and alleged killer) and countless other lives forever hurt (parents, siblings, partners, friends). So much unnecessary, enduring pain from a decision made in haste.

Greg

GregL
05-20-2022, 12:40 PM
Is she a cyclist also?Yup: https://www.strava.com/athletes/32676054. From the previous link to her real estate page: "She's also an avid cyclist who enjoys exploring new destinations and bikepacking with friends."

Greg

AngryScientist
05-20-2022, 12:43 PM
Yup: https://www.strava.com/athletes/32676054. From the previous link to her real estate page: "She's also an avid cyclist who enjoys exploring new destinations and bikepacking with friends."

Greg

wow. her last ride was on the same day Wilson was found dead.

I wonder if it came down to it if you could use strava as an alibi in a defense case?

camchris1
05-20-2022, 12:47 PM
https://cyclingtips.com/

tuxbailey
05-20-2022, 12:48 PM

I wonder if it came down to it if you could use strava as an alibi in a defense case?

I think that was a morning ride and the murder happened in the evening.

AngryScientist
05-20-2022, 12:51 PM

Armstrong's arrest affidavit says that she dates a man with whom Wilson had gone swimming with hours before Wilson was found dead. The affidavit says Wilson had been romantically involved with the man while the man and Armstrong were separated.

marciero
05-20-2022, 12:55 PM
"partner" is good for non-binary non-spouse situations too. But yeah- in my case "girlfriend" sounds too cute for people of our age and longevity, though I still use it from time to time. I also do not correct people when they refer to my "wife".

I am definitely in the "doubleU Tee eFF" phase now with Mo's death, esp since I actually know who Colin Strickland is, as I imagine most of us do.

Hilltopwalters
05-20-2022, 12:55 PM

Pretty sure that would be Strickland - yikes.

prototoast
05-20-2022, 12:59 PM
Obviously nothing compares to the tragedy of Ms Wilson's death, but I can't even imagine how Mr Strickland continues to function after something like this.

Likes2ridefar
Yup: https://www.strava.com/athletes/32676054. From the previous link to her real estate page: "She's also an avid cyclist who enjoys exploring new destinations and bikepacking with friends."

Greg

Already a few comments about enjoying the last ride. Wonder how long that stays up.

lavi
So sad.

muttley
05-20-2022, 01:00 PM

There are already a couple of bad comments on that last ride. What a tragedy.

pasadena
05-20-2022, 01:02 PM
https://www.velonews.com/news/road/austin-police-issue-arrest-warrant-in-moriah-wilson-murder-case/

This is a troubling timeline:

He[Strickland] also said he went swimming with Wilson at a city pool before dropping her off at her friend’s house around 8:30 p.m.

The key pad at the home Wilson was staying in was accessed at 8:36 p.m.
neighbor’s surveillance footage showed a SUV pulling up

In the affadavit, he [Strickland] said that the woman he lives with returned home in the SUV around 9:20 p.m.

Wilson’s friend returned to the house shortly before 10 p.m. on May 11 and found Wilson “covered in blood.” She was pronounced dead shortly after police arrived.

R3awak3n
05-20-2022, 01:12 PM
No one was expecting this to unfold this way.

This is not 100% but its looking like the answer has been found. Pretty sad and disgusting really.

Hilltopwalters
05-20-2022, 01:16 PM
Man, what a shame all around.

yinzerniner
05-20-2022, 01:16 PM

This is a troubling timeline:

He[Strickland] also said he went swimming with Wilson at a city pool before dropping her off at her friend’s house around 8:30 p.m.

The key pad at the home Wilson was staying in was accessed at 8:36 p.m.
neighbor’s surveillance footage showed a SUV pulling up

In the affadavit, he [Strickland] said that the woman he lives with returned home in the SUV around 9:20 p.m.

Wilson’s friend returned to the house shortly before 10 p.m. on May 11 and found Wilson “covered in blood.” She was pronounced dead shortly after police arrived.
Think the original reporting and writing is a little confusing - the actual quoted text from Velonews is is:
The key pad at the home Wilson was staying in was accessed at 8:36 p.m. According to the affadavit, a neighbor’s surveillance footage showed a SUV pulling up to the apartment on Maple Avenue, and the vehicle resembled an SUV registered to a woman who lives with the cyclist.
The original reporting from the Globe makes the timeline clearer:
The code was accessed again at 8:36 p.m., the filing said. A neighbor’s surveillance footage showed an SUV pulling up to the Maple Avenue apartment at that time, and the vehicle resembled an SUV registered to a woman who lives with the male cyclist, according to the affidavit.
So the suspect must have followed Stricklands car back to the house Wilson was staying
Also in Strickland's statement the woman suspect returned home "around 920"
And finally Wilson's friend came back at 10pm to the terrible scene.

Just so much sadness out of this story. Really hope some closure, rehabilitation and reconciliation can reached with time.

prototoast
05-20-2022, 01:38 PM
Statement from Colin Strickland here: https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1527717440385609728

yinzerniner
05-20-2022, 01:41 PM
https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1527717440385609728?s=20&t=zj5pEUIj0rE3HqiGjD8nZQ

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTOK6irXEAEXoV4?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTOK6irWYAEDEsc?format=jpg&name=large

Incredibly unfortunate typo:

"Sea Other Classic"

tctyres
05-20-2022, 01:44 PM
I realize that he is grieving, too, but he should get a lawyer and get off social media.

tuxbailey
05-20-2022, 01:44 PM
So instead of a jealous ex-girlfriend. It is the current girlfriend jealous of an ex-girlfriend?

tctyres
05-20-2022, 01:46 PM
So instead of a jealous ex-girlfriend. It is the current girlfriend jealous of an ex-girlfriend?

If you know which one is which, you might be called in to testify.

AngryScientist
05-20-2022, 01:51 PM
I realize that he is grieving, too, but he should get a lawyer and get off social media.

100%

That was a clumsy at best statement and entirely too detailed for him to be rambling on twitter. He's going to have some real explaining to do moving forward.

GregL
05-20-2022, 01:53 PM
100%

That was a clumsy at best statement and entirely too detailed for him to be rambling on twitter. He's going to have some real explaining to do moving forward.He'll likely be doing some of that explaining in front of a jury (or multiple juries, grand, criminal, and civil...). Time to both lawyer up and clam up.

Greg

Likes2ridefar
05-20-2022, 01:54 PM
Teeing up for a nice civil suit if not criminal?

yinzerniner
05-20-2022, 01:58 PM
100%

That was a clumsy at best statement and entirely too detailed for him to be rambling on twitter. He's going to have some real explaining to do moving forward.

To be fair he's been radio silent everywhere else, and this isn't a "ramble on twitter" but a statement sent to a respected reporter who then posted in on Twitter.

But yeah, way too much information to divulge before even an arrest has been made. Dude def needs a good lawyer.

GregL
05-20-2022, 02:05 PM
But yeah, way too much information to divulge before even an arrest has been made. Dude def needs a good lawyer.Scroll through the comments of the Cyclingtips story (https://cyclingtips.com/2022/05/arrest-warrant-issued-for-kaitlin-armstrong-in-mo-wilson-shooting-case/) about this subject. Supposedly "in the know" comments are not flattering to Mr. Strickland. Conjecture now, but this will all come out over the next 12-24 months as it plays out in the courts.

Greg

KJMUNC
05-20-2022, 02:22 PM
Scroll through the comments of the Cyclingtips story (https://cyclingtips.com/2022/05/arrest-warrant-issued-for-kaitlin-armstrong-in-mo-wilson-shooting-case/) about this subject. Supposedly "in the know" comments are not flattering to Mr. Strickland. Conjecture now, but this will all come out over the next 12-24 months as it plays out in the courts.

Greg

Wow....that comment is pretty crazy:

"As someone that’s known him, lived with him and been associated with him for nearly 8 years. This isn’t surprising. Anyone in the Austin cycling scene will tell you his game, find the most unstable attractive girl he can find and play games with her till it explodes into drama, it’s his dating cycle. It’s ended in theft of property, restraining orders, all kinds of wild ****.
At what point is a person responsible for pushing another to the point of insanity? Did he pull the trigger? No… and she deserves everything she gets for that murder. but I will always consider him at fault for pulling Mo into his trash fire of a dating life.
She deserved better than this."

denapista
05-20-2022, 02:26 PM
He needs to get off of social media and find a good lawyer..

72gmc
05-20-2022, 02:28 PM
Quite a comment from Sammi. She and him are still on the same team, I think?

KJMUNC
05-20-2022, 02:29 PM

maybe same cycling team, but clearly not metaphorically

makoti
05-20-2022, 02:30 PM
Incredibly unfortunate typo:

"Sea Other Classic"

"auxiliary romantic relationship"
What the hell? Best shut up, dude.

witcombusa
05-20-2022, 02:37 PM

Back to this incredible situation, we should all remember to assume anyone in this country has a gun or easy access to a gun and that seemingly rational people act in insane irrational ways at perceived or real slights. I don't know what else to take away from this situation but that thought.

I think the term isolated incident is the take away.

"seemingly rational people act in insane irrational ways at perceived or real slights". This has been my experience based on events I have seen and heard of. I don't think this is anything new (sadly).

72gmc
05-20-2022, 02:50 PM

Quick research finding: she is on a different team, riding a different brand of bike.

mistermo
05-20-2022, 02:53 PM
When I first heard this story, a few days ago, I wondered why a female gravel cyclist from CA would be in Austin TX when Unbound was ~2 weeks away. The only explanation I could come up with was Strickland. The connection was so specious that it didn't bear mentioning. Now....

And for clarification purposes, this Armstrong from Austin has no connection to another Armstrong from Austin. Correct?

rice rocket
05-20-2022, 02:57 PM
When I first heard this story, a few days ago, I wondered why a female gravel cyclist from CA would be in Austin TX when Unbound was ~2 weeks away. The only explanation I could come up with was Strickland.

She was there to ride an event.

https://www.velonews.com/gallery/gravel-locos-a-race-a-ride-a-rememberance/

yinzerniner
05-20-2022, 02:58 PM
When I first heard this story, a few days ago, I wondered why a female gravel cyclist from CA would be in Austin TX when Unbound was ~2 weeks away. The only explanation I could come up with was Strickland. The connection was so specious that it didn't bear mentioning. Now....

And for clarification purposes, this Armstrong from Austin has no connection to another Armstrong from Austin. Correct?

Maybe a little bit of cursory searching is the way to go instead of internal muckracking. Gravel Locos was that weekend, and she was one of the headline racers:
https://www.velonews.com/news/gravel/gravel-locos-is-this-weekends-pre-unbound-showdown/

Suspect has no relation to Lance.

AngryScientist
05-20-2022, 02:58 PM

She was in town for the Gravel Locos event which was that weekend, apparently she was a favorite to win.

tctyres
05-20-2022, 02:59 PM
Sammi's comment was rough.

M_D_S
05-20-2022, 03:02 PM
Here is the Reddit link. This provides more detail as to the formation of probable cause for the warrant as well as Strickland's alleged involvement:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gravelcycling/comments/uu5hje/moriah_wilson_shooting_kaitlin_armstrong_and/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Elefantino
05-20-2022, 03:08 PM
Crime of passion was not on the radar...

yinzerniner
05-20-2022, 03:09 PM

If this is indeed the real affidavit it is so much worse:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gravelcycling/comments/uu5hje/moriah_wilson_shooting_kaitlin_armstrong_and/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

lavi
05-20-2022, 03:11 PM

Rough, but likely accurate.

He didn't pull the trigger it, but Sr. Strickland is now likely persona non grata (to put it likely).

Crazy ass stuff.

Likes2ridefar
05-20-2022, 03:14 PM
Bike stashed in bamboo? Wth? Was she trying to stage something?

AngryScientist
05-20-2022, 03:16 PM
what a wild, tragic story. There is a lot more detail that has to come out.

KJMUNC
05-20-2022, 03:18 PM
Wow, that affidavit is nuts. I cannot believe he did not get an attorney before he made all those statements to the police.

Likes2ridefar
05-20-2022, 03:18 PM
On Reddit relationship abuse section found in that first link…

https://www.reddit.com/user/wilson-mo?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

AngryScientist
05-20-2022, 03:20 PM
Wow, that affidavit is nuts. I cannot believe he did not get an attorney before he made all those statements to the police.

I think most people are both intimidated by police and ignorant of the law.

"we'd like to ask you for a statement" - no thanks!

GregL
05-20-2022, 03:21 PM
This thread is sobering. My two takeaways: (1) keep your private life boring and (2) keep your internet presence minimal.

Greg

prototoast
05-20-2022, 03:22 PM
Bike stashed in bamboo? Wth? Was she trying to stage something?

Sounds like she wanted police to think it was a bike robbery. Given their history, I'm sure she would have ended up being questioned anyway, but if her car hadn't been seen on video, it would have probably been a lot harder to get a warrant for Armstrong.

Also, per the statements from "Jane"--Strickland and Wilson's romantic relationship went on for longer than Strickland said in his public statement.

glepore
05-20-2022, 03:24 PM
It takes some flipping around on the reddit links, but this thing is a total soap opera with an incredibly tragic ending for two women.

Short summary-Strickland told detectives he was having an ongoing relationship with Wilson and was actively changing names etc on his phone due to Armstrong's concern. He bought the gun for her...at the same time he bought one for himself.

KJMUNC
05-20-2022, 03:26 PM
Sounds like she wanted police to think it was a bike robbery. Given their history, I'm sure she would have ended up being questioned anyway, but if her car hadn't been seen on video, it would have probably been a lot harder to get a warrant for Armstrong.

Also, per the statements from "Jane"--Strickland and Wilson's romantic relationship went on for longer than Strickland said in his public statement.

That and the fact that he told police that he lied to Armstrong about her, changed Mo's name in his phone etc., and then sent a text to Armstrong that night lying about his whereabouts when it seems she already knew where he was (assuming it was her who was driving her car and followed him to the house)....doesn't paint a very good character picture for him.

rice rocket
05-20-2022, 03:28 PM

Most people think cooperating is proving your own innocence.

tctyres
05-20-2022, 03:28 PM
I think most people are both intimidated by police and ignorant of the law.

"we'd like to ask you for a statement" - no thanks!

Yeah, this youtube video comes to mind. The lawyer who gives the intro monologue is undeniably right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE
The cop who talks after him confirms that no one should talk to police.

yinzerniner
05-20-2022, 03:30 PM
That and the fact that he told police that he lied to Armstrong about her, changed Mo's name in his phone etc., and then sent a text to Armstrong that night lying about his whereabouts when it seems she already knew where he was (assuming it was her who was driving her car and followed him to the house)....doesn't paint a very good character picture for him.

Also, I don't know about y'all but I've never picked up a platonic friend on a motorcycle. Reminds me of the "foot massage" question from Jules in Pulp Fiction.

But all kidding aside this is just a complete and utter tragedy, and from the reports Strickland shares much of the blame. Just so sad.....

prototoast
05-20-2022, 03:32 PM
Most people think cooperating is proving your own innocence.

It's understandable. To his credit, the evidence suggests he didn't murder her. But, he was also known to have been with her that night. I would want to tell the police every piece of information possible that could prove my innocence.

Still, obviously should have gotten a lawyer, but with that said it seems like it has worked out for him on the murder front. Not so sure about whether or not he'll be charged related to purchasing the gun for Armstrong. Probably would have wanted to talk to a lawyer about that.

lavi
05-20-2022, 03:33 PM
So dude "breaks" up with Armstrong for like a week or two....during which he gets things going with Mo. Then that ends, quickly as dbag is back to his old relationship (if he even left to begin with).

Then, he's doing the game of changing names in phones and all that jazz.

THEN, he lies about where he's going to Armstrong, whom he's supposedly dating, and picks Mo up on his motorcycle (to me, this indicated how slick he thought he was) to go swimming. Then they grab chow. Dbag then takes her back to drop her off.

What a dick. He's gonna get roasted. He deserves it, and more. I'd say his actions directly led to this. Sure, ****ing murder is way way way out of hand. But, it was his nonsense that brought this on.

KJMUNC
05-20-2022, 03:34 PM

https://www.reddit.com/user/wilson-mo?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Wow....purely speculation whether that's actually her and she's referring to Strickland. Won't be an armchair jurist here, but would be a hell of a coincidence if it isn't.

glepore
I don't think he knew that the affidavit would be public once filed, and detailed. So he went ahead and lied on social media about it.

Kiss career good bye, deservedly.

Marvinlungwitz
Never mind.

Marvinlungwitz
05-20-2022, 03:36 PM
I don't think he knew that the affidavit would be public once filed, and detailed. So he went ahead and lied on social media about it.

Elon is right: Darn woke cancel culture is ruining the world.

GregL
05-20-2022, 03:39 PM
Elon is right: Darn woke cancel culture is ruining the world.Publicly shunning people for their behavior took place long before the internet. I seem to recall Nathaniel Hawthorne writing something about the subject that I was required to read in high school.

Greg

AngryScientist
05-20-2022, 03:42 PM
It takes a stupid, stupid man to buy your girlfriend; who you are actively cheating on - a handgun.

It takes an even stupider man to tell police you have two separate type of bullets for said gun, practice bullets and kill bullets - in a statement - following a gun murder.

oof.

KJMUNC
05-20-2022, 03:42 PM

so he's a liar AND and idiot.

that kind of thing could open him up for a really nasty civil suit....

rallizes
05-20-2022, 03:46 PM
Elon is right: Darn woke cancel culture is ruining the world.

LOL would you hire Colin at this point?

donevwil
05-20-2022, 03:48 PM
It takes a stupid, stupid man to buy your girlfriend; who you are actively cheating on - a handgun.

It takes an even stupider man to tell police you have two separate type of bullets for said gun, practice bullets and kill bullets - in a statement - following a gun murder.

oof.

He's so confident that he's in control of everything, he's delusional. He set this whole disgusting thing in motion knowing what would happen. He's worse than stupid, he's a predator, abuser, murderer who thinks he's in total control.

lavi
05-20-2022, 03:53 PM
He's so confident that he's in control of everything, he's delusional. He set this whole disgusting thing in motion knowing what would happen. He's worse than stupid, he's a predator, abuser, murderer who thinks he's in total control.

Seems like the typical narcissistic, big swinging dick that always like to show his
brand of "awesomeness". Classic. And, horribly sad for Mo and her family.

Damn. Just shocking.

tuxbailey
05-20-2022, 03:55 PM
Wow, he might not go to jail but he is toast.

yinzerniner
05-20-2022, 03:56 PM

You're talking about Muskman and his Elongate scandal, right? :no:

But for real this seems to jibe with some of the verified comments, and even his own sworn statement to the police. The part where he disparages Armstrong and admits to being an a&�!e to her when they rode together is just awful.

Would argue against the "murderer" badge, but the other two are completely in line. Narcissist, predator, abuser, delusional, sociopathic maybe. Unfortunately such traits are usually beneficial to achieving success in high-level athletics (and business, of course).

raygunner
05-20-2022, 03:59 PM
Imagine the grief of her parents.

And the offender is not in custody?

lavi
05-20-2022, 03:59 PM
Narcissist, predator, abuser, delusional, sociopathic maybe. Unfortunately such traits are usually beneficial to achieving success in high-level athletics (and business, of course).

Yup. Type A/hard chargers are, by far, my least favorite type of person.

A sad cautionary tale that has been told over and over and over. And will continue to be the same.

AngryScientist
05-20-2022, 04:04 PM
Imagine the grief of her parents.

This is so true. Only in her 20's - so much potential ahead. I can not even imagine. I have to remember to cherish the time's I'm in with my kids all young enough that they are more or less under my control in every aspect of their lives. Scary to send your kids out into the world with psychopaths of society.

lavi
05-20-2022, 04:08 PM
This is so true. Only in her 20's - so much potential ahead. I can not even imagine. I have to remember to cherish the time's I'm in with my kids all young enough that they are more or less under my control in every aspect of their lives. Scary to send your kids out into the world with psychopaths of society.

My god. I cannot begin to fathom the pain, sense of loss, and outright RAGE (I'd be feeling).

Even though I'm far removed from this...and reading this more as a cycling person, as a dad, I'm seething. Five minutes in a broom closet with him is all I'd ask for.

mistermo
05-20-2022, 04:10 PM
Also, I don't know about y'all but I've never picked up a platonic friend on a motorcycle.

I've followed him on Instagram and it's not beyond credulity that it's the only vehicle he has that's running, 'cept for the big truck for towing his big trailers. In the police report they cited the black Jeep (Armstrongs) and the MB. From Instagram, the MB was bought recently and I don't believe it was running when it arrived.

My suspicion is that Armstrong had a hunch, followed his location on iphone, could tell he'd lied and saw where he went, assumed the worst, and did what she did.

Pegoready
05-20-2022, 04:14 PM

My god. I cannot begin to fathom the pain, sense of loss, and outright RAGE (I'd be feeling).

Even though I'm removed from this...and reading this more as a cycling person, as a dad, I'm seething.

Yup, as a father of a young daughter I am particularly disturbed by all this. How to teach her to avoid partners like this, without being overbearing. It boggles the mind.

72gmc
05-20-2022, 04:17 PM
Engineering degree from Dartmouth, smart, articulate, capable ... and then mixed up with a person who seemed to enjoy being a bad boy.

As a dad, this whole story makes me angry at the selfishness and loss.

Zackus
05-20-2022, 04:19 PM
I've been checking Instagram and all news stories and threads since mo's very untimely passing. Upon hearing she died while being in town for a gravel race, I immediately wanted to see what Colin thought, as I've followed and been a fan of his for a while now.

As soon. As I saw that he hadn't posted about the race, or a tribute, it seemed that he was either grieving greatly or Involved. Now we know it was both.

What a sad and crazy thing. In no way am I trying to defend Colin's actions but cheating is not murder. People cheat all the time. The majority of marriages fail, often for the same reason. It sounds like he does have a bad record though in his relationships.

What a sad thing.for mo who had so much potential and seemingly was going through a huge breakthrough. Sad for Kaitlin that her jealousy drove her to murder. And sad for Colin that his actions but these events into motion.

AngryScientist
05-20-2022, 04:21 PM
Who are Strickland's current sponsors? I wonder how they will react? The cycling world is very much watching right now.

Likes2ridefar
05-20-2022, 04:22 PM
Who are Strickland's current sponsors? I wonder how they will react? The cycling world is very much watching right now.

Red Bull, I sent them a nice note a bit ago.

Zackus
05-20-2022, 04:23 PM

Red bull is the biggest.
Allied cycles
Meteor coffee shop
ENVE
Rapha
To a lesser degree
Specialized

donevwil
05-20-2022, 04:24 PM
...Would argue against the "murderer" badge, ...

One of the Reddit links within a reddit link (that I never should have clicked on) was of a forum in which Mo discussed her abuse and desire to out him/file charges/whatever. My brain went to, he knew this was in motion and moved to stop it.

...but the other two are completely in line. Narcissist, predator, abuser, delusional, sociopathic maybe. Unfortunately such traits are usually beneficial to achieving success in high-level athletics (and business, of course).

Actually one of the reasons I stopped racing. The better I got the more people with these traits I was around. Hated it.

KJMUNC
05-20-2022, 04:24 PM
Yup, as a father of a young daughter I am particularly disturbed by all this. How to teach her to avoid partners like this, without being overbearing. It boggles the mind.

Literally had this discussion with my 15yr old daughter last night, completely separately from this situation. What may just seem like a passing fancy can get seriously pretty quickly when you start involving exes and/or current relationships.

yinzerniner
05-20-2022, 04:25 PM
From his insta:

Riding in circles, con gusto. Fueled by: @redbull | Vibe by: @themeteorcafe | Speed by: @alliedcycleworks | Wearing fine textiles by: @rapha

I'd bet he's dropped by all by the end of the day - everyone corporation with a PR nightmare loves a Friday press release.

Likes2ridefar
05-20-2022, 04:25 PM
One of the Reddit links within a reddit link (that I never should have clicked on) was of a forum in which Mo discussed her abuse and desire to out him/file charges/whatever. My brain went to, he knew this was in motion and moved to stop it.

Same…

Big Dan
05-20-2022, 04:31 PM
We only hearing one side of the story. What he wants people to hear.

Likes2ridefar
05-20-2022, 04:32 PM
We only hearing one side of the story. What he wants people to hear.

Too bad he did a really $bitty job and didn’t fool anyone with half a brain.

denapista
05-20-2022, 04:33 PM
Same…

Cash said in the affidavit that the door code was only provided to Strickland.. his ex either went through his phone for it, or he provided it to her..

prototoast
05-20-2022, 04:36 PM
Cash said in the affidavit that the door code was only provided to Strickland.. his ex either went through his phone for it, or he provided it to her..

My understanding of the arrest warrant was that the door was unlocked when Ms. Wilson returned home, and she never re-locked it. There was a separate notification if the door was locked, and that was never mentioned after it was unlocked.

I don't think we are dealing with some Death on the Nile plot here. Just some awful people with poor social skills.

prototoast
05-20-2022, 04:38 PM
Literally had this discussion with my 15yr old daughter last night, completely separately from this situation. What may just seem like a passing fancy can get seriously pretty quickly when you start involving exes and/or current relationships.

One thing that spooked me the most was Mr Strickland telling the police he was talking to her about helping her get sponsorships. He wasn't just a potential romantic interest, it sounds like she saw him as a potential gateway to professional success. He's the one who won unbound, he's the one with the red bull sponsorship, she's having a breakout year, and there's a real draw to have access to what he has. The money can make a bad situation even worse.

yinzerniner
05-20-2022, 04:38 PM
One of the Reddit links within a reddit link (that I never should have clicked on) was of a forum in which Mo discussed her abuse and desire to out him/file charges/whatever. My brain went to, he knew this was in motion and moved to stop it..
Saw that reddit link, and though the account is most likely hers there's no way to tell if they person she referred to is Strickland.
She never wavers in saying it's the same person and in the posts refers to a years long relationship. By all accounts her dalliance with Strickland started in 2021, but I could be mistaken as it looks like a key page of the affidavit is missing.

He def could have been either mentally or physically abusive to Wilson, but there's nothing verifiable that seems to connect him as the person she's referring to in the reddit posts for abusive relationships.

Not saying he's not a titanic prick, but so far information doesn't point to him being the long-term abusive monster.

One thing that spooked me the most was Mr Strickland telling the police he was talking to her about helping her get sponsorships. He wasn't just a potential romantic interest, it sounds like she saw him as a potential gateway to professional success. He's the one who won unbound, he's the one with the red bull sponsorship, she's having a breakout year, and there's a real draw to have access to what he has. The money can make a bad situation even worse.

Yeah that's textbook abuse of power and grooming psycho isht right there. Dude obviously thought he was master of his domain with women and a lot of things, and it lead to an unspeakably tragic end. Just can't shake how terrible this ordeal must be for her friends and family.

I don't think he went it at all. He dropped her off. Mo was only there a very short time, and likely didn't lock the door. Then, the murderer entered. Door was open.
Code was only provided to WILSON, not to Strickland.

glepore
05-20-2022, 04:39 PM
My understanding of the arrest warrant was that the door was unlocked when Ms. Wilson returned home, and she never re-locked it. There was a separate notification if the door was locked, and that was never mentioned after it was unlocked.

I don't think we are dealing with some Death on the Nile plot here. Just some awful people with poor social skills.

This.

lavi
05-20-2022, 04:39 PM

I don't think he went it at all. He dropped her off. Mo was only there a very short time, and likely didn't lock the door. Then, the murderer entered. Door was open.

mistermo
05-20-2022, 04:45 PM
-nm

Zackus
05-20-2022, 04:45 PM

Right, it gives the timeline at the end of the affidavit. 8:36 the entry code is used. 8:37 Armstrong's SUV drives up . No mention of the code being used again after she arrives

spoonrobot
05-20-2022, 04:46 PM

This was tagged as misinformation and subsequently deleted by the reddit mod in one thread and the user who posted it in another. It's not her. There's a lot of bad here, no need to muddy the waters.

denapista
05-20-2022, 04:49 PM
Yeah that was my mistake and lack of reading comprehension.

Looks like Mo walked in and didn't lock the door behind her. Damn so the killer either just walked in or knocked on the door to talk to Mo. That's probably how she got in. Asked to talk about their common abuser.

sfo1
05-20-2022, 04:54 PM
One life tragically lost; his is over. He will live, suffer from pariah and internal demons for the remainder of his life.

The whole story really makes my stomach turn.

And I will say his statement reads rather self serving (IMO).

KJMUNC
05-20-2022, 04:55 PM
So is Armstrong in custody? I know they issued the warrant, but if she's not already in custody it will be interesting to see what choices she makes.

rallizes
05-20-2022, 04:57 PM
So is Armstrong in custody? I know they issued the warrant, but if she's not already in custody it will be interesting to see what choices she makes.

Probably Mexico

yinzerniner
05-20-2022, 05:04 PM

According to below Armstrong hasn't been seen or heard from since 5/13, and it's an active fugitive investigation. Pretty incredible since they had her in custody on 5/12 or 5/13 (affidavit isn't clear):
https://www.fox7austin.com/sports/moriah-wilson-murder-kaitlin-armstrong-east-austin-texas

Full affidavit below:
https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2022/05/20/warrant-issued-austin-woman-death-cyclist-anna-moriah-wilson/9857373002/

kiwisimon
05-20-2022, 05:27 PM
Y'all sure love a murder.

this will be a podcast, a book, a dateline story and maybe even a TV mini series.

Sad that the victims get SFA for all that entertainment given to so many for so little script writing.

Marvinlungwitz
05-20-2022, 05:35 PM
Error, never mind

rallizes
05-20-2022, 05:40 PM
Y'all sure love a murder.

this will be a podcast, a book, a dateline story and maybe even a TV mini series.

Sad that the victims get SFA for all that entertainment given to so many for so little script writing.

Clever!

bshell
05-20-2022, 05:42 PM
what is SFA?

climbgdh
05-20-2022, 05:48 PM
what is SFA?

me thinks it's - "sweet eff all".

rice rocket
05-20-2022, 05:53 PM

Now a wanted fugitive.

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1527775934677409792

bshell
05-20-2022, 06:06 PM
Thanks!

Kiwisimon. It feels pretty gross to refer to this as entertainment. And hopefully a gross mischaracterization of why people are here. People are grappling with a loss and trying to understand.

glepore
05-20-2022, 06:10 PM
I have a sad, empty feeling as to how this ends.

Jaybee
05-20-2022, 06:17 PM
Thanks!

Kiwisimon. It feels pretty gross to refer to this as entertainment. And hopefully a gross mischaracterization of why people are here. People are grappling with a loss and trying to understand.

I've been waffling on saying this or not, but there is something about the junior detective/psychoanalyst speculation in this thread that feels uncomfortable to me. Maybe people are using it to process their sense of loss, but there's also a sense of true crime entertainment, a Law and Order episode come to life.

KJMUNC
05-20-2022, 06:17 PM
I have a sad, empty feeling as to how this ends.

Same here….my guess is she isn’t living or isn’t when this is said and done.

What a terrible outcome. She may have perpetrated the crime, but blood is on his hands either way.

sfo1
05-20-2022, 06:28 PM
Now a wanted fugitive.

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1527775934677409792

They will find a corpse. Reality must set in at some point. Even to a sociopath.

Malinois
05-20-2022, 06:33 PM
Having dealt with unexpected domestic violence in my own life, all I can do is hope that the wheels of justice keep turning. I hate this situation for everyone involved.

Mark McM
05-20-2022, 06:43 PM
Presumably as more facts come to light we'll find out more about what actually happened here, but I'm wondering ...

I can semi-understand someone going after their two-timing partner (well, maybe not killing them, but wanting to hurt them in some way). But what's the thinking behind going after the two-timing partner's lover? Do they think that the lover is the one responsible for the affair, and that the two-timing partner was an innocent party unable to resist? Or maybe worse, are they trying to "punish" the two-timing partner by harming the lover?

KJMUNC
05-20-2022, 06:58 PM
Am I the only one who feels like this isn’t the first time they’ve heard a similar story in local cycling? The whole “older/experienced cyclist finds new upstart and starts a relationship despite being with someone else” is a well worn path. I don’t know whether it’s due to the age/gender imbalances in our sport or what, but it would take both hands to count all the broken marriages I’ve witnessed that were caused by older guys leaving their wives for the new young thing that showed up on group rides. In the early 00’s Atlanta racing scene it was a running joke and the revolving door among marriages and partners was constantly spinning.

kiwisimon
05-20-2022, 07:01 PM
Thanks!

respectfully I disagree.

If it bleeds it leads. check the view count of this and the previous thread. How many times does one need to know she was tragically and selfishly killed?

Ever notice how traffic snarls going past an accident?
Not all the drivers rubber necking know someone in a black Hummer I'm sure.

but yeah I'm grumpy this morning

Likes2ridefar
05-20-2022, 07:06 PM
respectfully I disagree.

If it bleeds it leads. check the view count of this and the previous thread. How many times does one need to know she was tragically and selfishly killed?

Ever notice how traffic snarls going past an accident?
Not all the drivers rubber necking know someone in a black Hummer I'm sure.

but yeah I'm grumpy this morning

I’d argue it’s more curiosity and trying to make sense of something that doesn’t. It’s certainly not entertainment for me and I doubt for any here.

rallizes
05-20-2022, 07:08 PM
^folks may be interested in what has happened

not sure about "entertained"

Louis
05-20-2022, 07:18 PM
Am I the only one who feels like this isn’t the first time they’ve heard a similar story in local cycling? The whole “older/experienced cyclist finds new upstart and starts a relationship despite being with someone else” is a well worn path.

I'm 100% sure that this isn't only a problem in cycling - it's an issue just about everywhere men have power and influence.

glepore
05-20-2022, 07:19 PM
Am I the only one who feels like this isn’t the first time they’ve heard a similar story in local cycling? The whole “older/experienced cyclist finds new upstart and starts a relationship despite being with someone else” is a well worn path. I don’t know whether it’s due to the age/gender imbalances in our sport or what, but it would take both hands to count all the broken marriages I’ve witnessed that were caused by older guys leaving their wives for the new young thing that showed up on group rides. In the early 00’s Atlanta racing scene it was a running joke and the revolving door among marriages and partners was constantly spinning.

I spent a lot of time in TTown in the aughts. It was predator city. Google Gibby Hatton's marital history, who coached Marty Nothstein. Google his recent history ( or his past history with a 20ish racer while he was married with kids). Its like a dysfunctional training camp. Then, Marty gets into it with Jamie Carney, so Marty's coachling Andy Lakatosh gets crazy enough to grab Jamie's bars at the finish of sprint and dump him. Kid you not. Its on Youtube. To Andy's credit, he served his ban and came back, maybe changed.

Or search out Mark Whitehead. Could go on.

yinzerniner
05-20-2022, 07:27 PM
Presumably as more facts come to light we'll find out more about what actually happened here, but I'm wondering ...

I can semi-understand someone going after their two-timing partner (well, maybe not killing them, but wanting to hurt them in some way). But what's the thinking behind going after the two-timing partner's lover? Do they think that the lover is the one responsible for the affair, and that the two-timing partner was an innocent party unable to resist? Or maybe worse, are they trying to "punish" the two-timing partner by harming the lover?

C'mon, you have to know that unfortunately this happens ALL THE TIME in relationships where (mostly) men have some sort of elevated status/position/power dynamic in their field and multiple partners are also involved in said field, and whose influence can positively or negatively affect the lives of others. See: directors with actresses, artists with understudies, professors with students, coaches and athletes etc etc.

Call it cultural, call it learned, or if you're a knuckle dragger call it biology, but there are countless examples and it's often seen as cliched or a stereotype, but obviously it still happens more than we'd like to imagine.

As for hurting the other person as opposed to the significant other, there's misplaced jealousy, raw animalistic id, even straight base competitiveness at work there, where the S.O. is seen as the prize and the other person as the enemy. Pretty basic human condition stuff. But yes, really happens a lot more when there's a power dynamic in play.

In this particular case it seems like the perfect storm for an emotional disaster - a younger woman, well-educated AND incredibly athletically talented, who you know has garnered attention and affection from the S.O. in question. Just incredibly sad.

glepore
05-20-2022, 07:29 PM

Mark, due respect, but I think you're missing the "thing" here. Armstrong was a good collegiate runner with a relationship with a "star" who, only going by reports here, might have been a bit of a controlling person. Her economic livelihood and psyche were centered around him. She maybe was borderline or became psychotic under these circumstances.

Rationality from normal perspectives are meaningless.

lavi
05-20-2022, 07:31 PM
I have posted in this thread. I am saddened by it. I’m far from entertained. I’m horrified.

For me, it’s a way to process. Being cycling, it hits closer to home than a regular news headline. Many thousands of people died today.

Hearing that Armstrong is not in custody is sad. It’s been mentioned what the likely outcome is.

As for Colin, the chode’s goose is cooked.

denapista
05-20-2022, 07:35 PM
I don't think anyone is viewing this as entertainment.. We live in the age of the internet. I mean the affidavit is posted on the internet. Pre internet, would the average person have access to the information to share with the curious? If not, people in the normal world would be speculating about this situation at races and other cycling events.

I ride with people that personally knew her and it's a tragedy that came directly after another tragedy in LA. People are simply trying to wrap their heads around the why..

When you hear someone passed away, it's always natural to wonder about the how and why. It's human nature. "So and so passed away.." First reaction is "How did he/she pass?"

This whole ordeal hits close to home because I know a woman cyclist who was in a very similar situation while living in Colorado. This story isn't uncommon with guys preying on the beautiful cyclist woman. Putting them in unknown relationship situations, with a jealous Ex or current hidden partner finding the new woman. This happens in Corporate America and all walks of life..

kiwisimon
05-20-2022, 07:42 PM
I’d argue it’s more curiosity and trying to make sense of something that doesn’t. It’s certainly not entertainment for me and I doubt for any here.

I wasn't here for the 2011 Tsunami that killed 20,000 people. I was back in NZ at the time for a short holiday although our house and business were here. The amount of times it was broadcast on TV 8,000 miles away and the repitition was well beyond a need to know or process. Now once or twice, I understand, but the constant updates and repeats of the most dramatic & traumatic scenes, totally beyond that.

Same with 9/11, I am yet to watch detailed footage of the towers collapse but would guess that Youtube views are in the millions as are Tsunami videos (which I have only watched the local port scenes) .

When News became highly profitable, it blurred the lines beteween information and entertainment IMO.

Quadzilla_Jr
05-20-2022, 07:52 PM

Ugh. I’m new to this, my boys are aged 4 and 2, but, ugh. I can’t comprehend, I think it’d break me.

oldpotatoe
05-21-2022, 07:10 AM
It takes some flipping around on the reddit links, but this thing is a total soap opera with an incredibly tragic ending for two women.

Short summary-Strickland told detectives he was having an ongoing relationship with Wilson and was actively changing names etc on his phone due to Armstrong's concern. He bought the gun for her...at the same time he bought one for himself.

Which is legal in texas..to gift a person you aren't related to, a gun...for general info. Under same category as 'private sales'...

Likes2ridefar
05-21-2022, 08:20 AM
Having read she had an outstanding warrant that apparently was not valid, perhaps she couldn’t buy a gun at all? Would that change things?

commandcomm
05-21-2022, 08:25 AM
Daily Mail has a news story.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10839453/Yoga-teacher-34-murders-world-class-cycling-star-25-jealous-rage-dating-ex.html

Likes2ridefar
05-21-2022, 08:42 AM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10839453/Yoga-teacher-34-murders-world-class-cycling-star-25-jealous-rage-dating-ex.html

:eek: 'Tracked victim on Strava app'

kytyree
05-21-2022, 09:02 AM
The Strava deal was mentioned in one of the Texas papers as well. I know there are some privacy enhancing things you can do on there but in this case just knowing the other person was in Austin may have been too much public information.

witcombusa
05-21-2022, 09:51 AM

Seems to be missing all the updates regarding Strickland's ongoing involvement with Mo.

Mark McM
05-21-2022, 09:59 AM
Seems to be missing all the updates regarding Strickland's ongoing involvement with Mo.

That shouldn't be surprising. The Daily Mail tends to toward sensationalism and isn't known for its journalistic integrity. From the Wikipedia article on the Dail Mail (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Mail):

It has also been noted for its unreliability and widely criticised for its printing of sensationalist and inaccurate scare stories of science and medical research, and for instances of plagiarism and copyright infringement. In February 2017, editors on the English Wikipedia banned the use of the Daily Mail as a source.

herb5998
05-21-2022, 10:20 AM
Just finished reading the affidavit, it is just an awful ending to a sad situation

rice rocket
05-21-2022, 01:08 PM
The Strava deal was mentioned in one of the Texas papers as well. I know there are some privacy enhancing things you can do on there but in this case just knowing the other person was in Austin may have been too much public information.

I have the privacy thing turned on, but it's a set radius from a fixed point. You wouldn't change the location when you started a ride in another city.

Likes2ridefar
05-21-2022, 01:46 PM
I have the privacy thing turned on, but it's a set radius from a fixed point. You wouldn't change the location when you started a ride in another city.

I’m not really worried about being stalked right now, but this madness has made me consider to stop sharing any data there or anywhere that indicates where I may be at any given time.

trener1
05-21-2022, 02:13 PM
I'm really not sure that Strava had anything to do with her demise, I mean she was a famous rider in town for a big race, strava or not people new that she was in Austin

yinzerniner
05-21-2022, 02:23 PM
I'm really not sure that Strava had anything to do with her demise, I mean she was a famous rider in town for a big race, strava or not people new that she was in Austin

It’s a pretty big deal especially since it shows the exact start and end point of a ride. There’s a huge difference between knowing if someone’s in town and knowing their exact address.

From the anonymous caller information in the affidavit it seems like Armstrong had the mindset to fervently stalk Wilson’s whereabouts, and probably for good reason given what we now know of Strickland behavior. Honestly surprised this and similar other apps haven’t been brought to light for privacy concerns, more pub has been dedicated to air tags.

AngryScientist
05-21-2022, 02:36 PM
If I were a pro, or a pro coach, i would definitely not want myself or my athletes to use a very public platform like strava to share their every ride. Maybe i'm a cynic, but I can think of all sorts of ways that much data out there could be used against you.

prototoast
05-21-2022, 02:37 PM
If I were a pro, or a pro coach, i would definitely not want myself or my athletes to use a very public platform like strava to share their every ride. Maybe i'm a cynic, but I can think of all sorts of ways that much data out there could be used against you.

The flip side is, part of the score is fan engagement. I love checking out world tour riders' Strava, better appreciate what they do. It would be a shame to lose that because of one crazy stalker with a gun.

curtiswallen
05-21-2022, 02:44 PM
Doesn't the affidavit say Armstrong followed Strickland's car in her car, which is how she learned where Wilson was staying? Strickland dropped Wilson off, and Armstrong had been following them. Strava not involved? Or did I miss something?

tctyres
05-21-2022, 02:47 PM
The flip side is, part of the score is fan engagement. I love checking out world tour riders' Strava, better appreciate what they do. It would be a shame to lose that because of one crazy stalker with a gun.

FYI, they don't put out all their rides. They put out the ones that the team publicist is OK with.

I also know Phil Gaimon doesn't post everything. I passed him at a light one day. Only when I passed, did I realize who it was. He was escorting a pro rider around. Nice guys. I waved. They waved. I kept going. The ride never showed up on Phil's public Strava.

pasadena
05-21-2022, 02:49 PM
Strava updated their privacy options to hide the beginning and end of every ride, hiding rides completely, etc specifically addressing privacy while travelling.

I don't think many know about it, nor thought about it. It may be that Strava should default max privacy settings and it's up to users to uncheck levels of privacy...

trener1
05-21-2022, 05:50 PM
Yes I am aware of the privacy with strava, I do actually have the start of my rides hidden.
My point is that in this case Strava or no Strava Armstrong knows where Wilson is.

KJMUNC
05-21-2022, 06:06 PM
Doesn't the affidavit say Armstrong followed Strickland's car in her car, which is how she learned where Wilson was staying? Strickland dropped Wilson off, and Armstrong had been following them. Strava not involved? Or did I miss something?

The article mention that she drove by the house during the day (captured on video) and presumable bc she wanted to scope it out. Then she went back the second time for the shooting.

gavingould
05-21-2022, 06:27 PM
this whole thing is just incredibly sad. I’ve been in the Austin area a couple years now, have seen Colin and Kaitlin at races and been on a couple rides that they were also on. Didn’t know them further than a wave and hello.
I didn’t know Moriah at all, but know a lot of folks who did.
When the murder occurred I was definitely thinking that it’d be someone in the cycling community for some reason, but certainly not how this turned out.

pasadena
05-21-2022, 08:45 PM
It's a reaction to want to make sense of it, and "solving" it to satisfy the lack of information. To want to solve it and find justice.
It turns into crime entertainment for sure. Fugitive murderer on the run, gaslighting boyfriend, rising star killed...

I've been waffling on saying this or not, but there is something about the junior detective/psychoanalyst speculation in this thread that feels uncomfortable to me. Maybe people are using it to process their sense of loss, but there's also a sense of true crime entertainment, a Law and Order episode come to life.

XXtwindad
05-21-2022, 09:27 PM

I feel you on this Jaybee, but it has all the ingredients that made the Bard’s dramas so potent: love, passion, power, deceit, and murder. We’re enthralled by the extremes.

Lizzie Borden, Fatty Arbuckle, The Hall-Mills Murder, Sam Sheppard, O.J. All of them spilled copious amounts of ink describing the lurid details. They all had a few things in common.

On another note, being a “dog” is not criminal. Lack of fidelity is not a crime. Certainly it could be construed as immoral, but, again, that’s not criminal.

But immoral, narcissistic, and stupid raises the ante. Strickland blithely seemed to ignore (or at least sidestep) his partner’s simmering rage. And then, if I understand things correctly, he purchased a gun for her.

I do believe he’s being absolutely honest about one thing. He tweeted that there’s no words to adequately describe the regret from “the proximity to this horrible crime.”

No doubt he does feel that way.

robin3mj
05-21-2022, 10:37 PM
Not pertinent to the very sad topic at hand, but in Nordic countries the marriage rate between people who (stay together for decades! And) raise children together is much lower than in other western nations, and the word partner doesn’t bat an eye there.

XXtwindad
05-21-2022, 10:42 PM
Not pertinent to the very sad topic at hand, but in Nordic countries the marriage rate between people who (stay together for decades! And) raise children together is much lower than in other western nations, and the word partner doesn’t bat an eye there.

Nor should it. Discussed upthread. Twenty years with my Partner. Not married. Two kids. Separate houses. Honesty, respect, and friendship is the key.

Clean39T
05-21-2022, 11:16 PM
RE: crime entertainment..

I don't think that's it for a lot of us here. There's an immediacy to all this due to the effects of social media and podcasts and youtube, where at some distance you still feel connected to some people more than others. When Mike Hall was struck and killed a few years back, it had more of an impact on me than hearing about xyz celebrity that passed or an anonymous (to me) cycling death I may have heard about. I never met him but felt like I knew him from following and reading and watching his life story on a bike unfold over the years. So there's that. From there it extends into personal experience and empathy, frustrations with the state of the modern world, and all the rest. It's a combination of all of that that has my nerves frayed.

But yeah, if/when or as this gets into the public more, the crime entertainment and media obsession will draw in the masses, sadly. It doesn't take much imagination to see this on Lifetime, Dateline, or 20/20.

Clancy
05-22-2022, 08:06 AM
From the anonymous caller information in the affidavit it seems like Armstrong had the mindset to fervently stalk Wilson’s whereabouts, and probably for good reason given what we now know of Strickland behavior.

I imagine you’d rephrase this after thinking about it. Implying that Strickland is responsible for Armstrong’s behavior is contributing to the tired and accepted belief that people aren’t in control of their actions when blinded by jealousy. Particularly women.

Armstrong had zero reason to stalk Wilson, ZERO, just as she had zero reason for murdering her (as accused)

Not that long ago here in Texas, “passion killing” was an accepted argument when trying a man for killing another man involved in an affair with his wife.

Strickland had his part to play in this and more obviously will be revealed. But Armstrong is (was) responsible for her actions.

oldpotatoe
05-22-2022, 08:08 AM
More info here
https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/family-of-slain-cyclist-clears-up-details-of-alleged-romantic-relationship/

And Armstrong formally charged with 1st degree murder and is on the run....

Likes2ridefar
05-22-2022, 08:10 AM
More info here
https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/family-of-slain-cyclist-clears-up-details-of-alleged-romantic-relationship/

And Armstrong formally charged with 1st degree murder and is on the run....

I suppose take their word but when I read that last night my reaction, reasonable or not, was parents rarely know the entire story and the police were reading data on a phone not word of mouth from daughter.

witcombusa
05-22-2022, 09:06 AM
I suppose take their word but when I read that last night my reaction, reasonable or not, was parents rarely know the entire story and the police were reading data on a phone not word of mouth from daughter.

x10

Think about the things your parents wern't aware of with you. Often parents infer much but seldom get the whole story. Especially in the teens and twenties.

merckxman
05-22-2022, 05:34 PM
On ABC evening national news tonight.

R3awak3n
05-22-2022, 06:14 PM
Its astonishing to me that someone kills someone else and then goes on the run, how stupid can you be thinking that you are going to be able to run forever. So either you put an end to your life like that dude that killed Gaby Petito or you will be found and you are going to jail for a long time.

tomato coupe
05-22-2022, 06:40 PM
Its astonishing to me that someone kills someone else and then goes on the run, how stupid can you be thinking that you are going to be able to run forever.
If you run, you have a small, but non-zero, chance of avoiding arrest. Why not try?

(There are quite a few accused murderers who fled justice and were never caught. I can think of two off the top of my head that fled cities where I lived, and simply disappeared, never to be caught.)

R3awak3n
05-22-2022, 06:52 PM
If you run, you have a small, but non-zero, chance of avoiding arrest. Why not try?

(There are quite a few accused murderers who fled justice and were never caught. I can think of two off the top of my head that fled cities where I lived, and simply disappeared, never to be caught.)

recently? I feel like now its way hard to do in the age of the internet. I guess you can give it a try but your changes are slim. Also where is she going to run to? Mexico? Canada? I am not aware of the law there but I assume they will send her right back here if she gets caught.

Its only a matter of time

climbgdh
05-22-2022, 07:00 PM
recently? I feel like now its way hard to do in the age of the internet. I guess you can give it a try but your changes are slim. Also where is she going to run to? Mexico? Canada? I am not aware of the law there but I assume they will send her right back here if she gets caught.

Its only a matter of time

We're a welcoming bunch up here but I'm 100% sure if she was discovered by authorities here in Canada "Eh" she would be extradited back to the USofA to stand trial for this horrendous crime.

tomato coupe
05-22-2022, 07:01 PM

Slim ≠ zero, and it's the only thing that might keep her from going to prison for the rest of her life. And, do you really believe she's thinking rationally right now?

R3awak3n
05-22-2022, 07:10 PM
Slim ≠ zero, and it's the only thing that might keep her from going to prison for the rest of her life. And, do you really believe she's thinking rationally right now?

she hasn't been thinking rationally for a long time it seems

tomato coupe
05-22-2022, 07:15 PM
she hasn't been thinking rationally for a long time it seems

Then why are you perplexed by her going on the run?

yinzerniner
05-22-2022, 07:50 PM
I imagine you’d rephrase this after thinking about it. Implying that Strickland is responsible for Armstrong’s behavior is contributing to the tired and accepted belief that people aren’t in control of their actions when blinded by jealousy. Particularly women.

Armstrong had zero reason to stalk Wilson, ZERO, just as she had zero reason for murdering her (as accused)

Not that long ago here in Texas, “passion killing” was an accepted argument when trying a man for killing another man involved in an affair with his wife.

Strickland had his part to play in this and more obviously will be revealed. But Armstrong is (was) responsible for her actions.
Yeah that was an unfortunate choice of words on my part. There’s zero reason for Armstrong stalking Wilson. Armstrong had every right to question Strickland due to his previous sketchiness but stalking him or anyone else is crossing a line from understandable to criminal

I don’t think Strickland was fully responsible for Armstrong’s behavior, but his past behavior and lying to her certainly didn’t help and certainly did exacerbate her overall mental breakdown and subsequent alleged crimes. No one person is ever fully to blame for another’s harmful actions, but to say there’s no influence nor responsibility is utter nonsense.

R3awak3n
05-22-2022, 07:51 PM
Then why are you perplexed by her going on the run?

Maybe you are right and I should not be.

jadmt
05-22-2022, 08:15 PM
We're a welcoming bunch up here but I'm 100% sure if she was discovered by authorities here in Canada "Eh" she would be extradited back to the USofA to stand trial for this horrendous crime.

I dunno I think Texas has the death penalty and I don't know if Canada would extradite a person back to a state if the person was facing the death penalty and based on what is out there it was premeditated so probably a death penalty crime. For the record I am 100% in favor of the death penalty.

KJMUNC
05-22-2022, 08:53 PM
That’s true she has a better than zero chance, but not much better. Think about it: she cannot use her cell phone or any form of credit/bank card, nor can she access anything from her life that leaves any digital trail. That’s really hard unless you are a meticulous planner and thought about this well in advance. Even then it’s darn near impossible unless you’re committed to a life of solitude or constant running. She doesn’t strike me as either.

She couldn’t leave the country unless she used a fake passport or hiked across some remote crossing, both of which seem like unlikely.

Texas is big, but they’ll find her car eventually. My guess is she is holed up somewhere with dwindling cash and effectively only two options.

R3awak3n
05-22-2022, 08:57 PM
That’s true she has a better than zero chance, but not much better. Think about it: she cannot use her cell phone or any form of credit/bank card, nor can she access anything from her life that leaves any digital trail. That’s really hard unless you are a meticulous planner and thought about this well in advance. Even then it’s darn near impossible unless you’re committed to a life of solitude or constant running. She doesn’t strike me as either.

She couldn’t leave the country unless she used a fake passport or hiked across some remote crossing, both of which seem like unlikely.

Texas is big, but they’ll find her car eventually. My guess is she is holed up somewhere with dwindling cash and effectively only two options.

I mean she had a while to leave the country, they had her for questioning on the 13th of May but warrant for arrest was much later so its a possibility she could have crossed the border.

Likes2ridefar
05-22-2022, 08:58 PM
I mean she had a while to leave the country, they had her for questioning on the 13th of May but warrant for arrest was much later so its a possibility she could have crossed the border.

Maybe she is dead.

geordanh
05-22-2022, 09:22 PM
This whole thing is so horrendously sad. Destroyed lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
05-22-2022, 09:35 PM
Maybe she is dead.

certainly a possibility

steelbikerider
05-22-2022, 09:48 PM
Not a death penalty case in Texas based on the info presented. Murder of a law officer, child or murder while committing another another crime are the usual death penalty cases here.

fiamme red
05-22-2022, 09:58 PM
The story has now been covered in the Times, although I don't think there's anything new here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/22/us/cyclist-moriah-wilson-shooting-austin.html

joosttx
05-22-2022, 10:20 PM
Nor should it. Discussed upthread. Twenty years with my Partner. Not married. Two kids. Separate houses. Honesty, respect, and friendship is the key.

Sounds like an LLP.

peanutgallery
05-22-2022, 10:21 PM
This whole *****show is the Altamont moment for gravel

There's a fixie crit dude turned garvel racer, guns, murder, classic Mercedes sedans, motos, missing killer, gaslighting, stalking via strava, swimming and obscure classic travel trailers. What a train wreck, sad state of affairs. Hipster dysfunction junction

I hope case is resolved and the family of the deceased finds peace and justice and runs Strickland into the dirt like the Goldman family has done to OJ

As far as the hipster /gaslighter in question...at least public ridicule isn't fatal but that jacka$$ will race until his 70s. If the sport had any balls, promoters would pull the plug...but they won't...cycling is a total sausage fest

https://theradavist.com/colin-stricklands-retirement-plan/

Spdntrxi
05-22-2022, 10:39 PM
his line was getting kinda tired on Rapha, but definitely not sold out... and now no where to be found.

KJMUNC
05-22-2022, 11:21 PM

Yeah she certainly could’ve, but they’d have known if she did and where she crossed since you need a passport to get into Mex/Can.

Anyone helping her will get busted too, so I certainly don’t see her pulling an Eric Rudolph and hiding in the Texas hill country either.

I’ll bet she split to somewhere she thinks is remote enough and driveable, like west TX/NM or LA/AR.

The fact that they haven’t found the car is a little odd, as they have enough cameras on roads to scan license plates and it’s a pretty unique/easily identifiable car.

JSL
05-23-2022, 01:02 AM
Strickland is the one that needs to be hiding right now if his crazy ex is still on the loose with a gun.

gavingould
05-23-2022, 09:22 AM
Strickland is the one that needs to be hiding right now if his crazy ex is still on the loose with a gun.

I don’t think she has the gun, since the police recovered it from her/Strickland’s residence and have compared its ballistics to the murder weapon.
but I certainly wouldn’t be sleeping easy if I were him.

NHAero
05-23-2022, 09:42 AM
I don’t think she has the gun, since the police recovered it from her/Strickland’s residence and have compared its ballistics to the murder weapon.
but I certainly wouldn’t be sleeping easy if I were him.

It will take her 5 minutes to obtain another firearm. I'd be worried if I were Colin. I might even take a vacation to a country that she would absolutely needs to fly to and needs a passport to get into. Like Israel...

rnhood
05-23-2022, 09:47 AM
I think she might pull a Thelma & Louise stunt if they don’t find her soon. She obviously has mental issues, is stressed and panicking.

AngryScientist
05-23-2022, 09:51 AM
I think for younger people today being on the run will prover to be extremely difficult. Staying off of her known cell phones, not using credit cards and keeping a very low digital profile are not going to be easy to do these days when everyone is addicted to that kind of stuff that makes it easy to find a person.

mistermo
05-23-2022, 09:56 AM
Armstrong had every right to question Strickland due to his previous sketchiness but stalking him or anyone else is crossing a line from understandable to criminal

I don’t think Strickland was fully responsible for Armstrong’s behavior, but his past behavior and lying to her certainly didn’t help and certainly did exacerbate her overall mental breakdown and subsequent alleged crimes. No one person is ever fully to blame for another’s harmful actions, but to say there’s no influence nor responsibility is utter nonsense.

Two things:
1-Why is it irrational to be on the run? Even if she gets caught, every day spent out of jail is [presumably] one day better than a day spent in jail. That's rational.

2-There's LOTS of slander against Strickland in this thread and I'm trying to understand the source of everyone's intel. Didn't the Reddit abuse thread turn NOT to belong to Mo? There's the damning Sammi post on Cycling Tips, but that's pretty sketchy too.

Yeah, he lied to a girlfriend who seemed to have severe jealousy problems. Regrettably, I've had a ridiculously jealous gf and did that too. To take it to a place where he's partly responsible for someone's murder is a tremendous stretch, seems to me.

In his defense, the parents don't think there was anything still going on (yeah, agreed parents don't always know). He picked up Mo around 6p, they went swimming at a public pool, ate a burger and he dropped her off at ~8:30p. He didn't even go inside. Apart from lying to psycho gf, what's wrong with this?

From what information has this PL jury formed their opinion that he's even partly guilty, and a scum? Since when does it become 'grooming' rather than mentoring when someone older and more experienced helps a younger person entering the field?

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems there may be a whole lotta piling on and groupthink in this thread, based only on tidbits from unreliable, anonymous sources.

XXtwindad
05-23-2022, 09:56 AM
It will take her 5 minutes to obtain another firearm. I'd be worried if I were Colin. I might even take a vacation to a country that she would absolutely needs to fly to and needs a passport to get into. Like Israel...

In other news, cyclist Colin Strickland has discovered that’s he’s three percent Jewish based off a “23 and Me” test, and has decided to make Aliyah.

XXtwindad
05-23-2022, 10:10 AM
Two things:
1-Why is it irrational to be on the run? Even if she gets caught, every day spent out of jail is [presumably] one day better than a day spent in jail. That's rational.

2-There's LOTS of slander against Strickland in this thread and I'm trying to understand the source of everyone's intel. Didn't the Reddit abuse thread turn NOT to belong to Mo? There's the damning Sammi post on Cycling Tips, but that's pretty sketchy too.

Yeah, he lied to a girlfriend who seemed to have severe jealousy problems. Regrettably, I've had a ridiculously jealous gf and did that too. To take it to a place where he's partly responsible for someone's murder is a tremendous stretch, seems to me.

In his defense, the parents don't think there was anything still going on (yeah, agreed parents don't always know). He picked up Mo around 6p, they went swimming at a public pool, ate a burger and he dropped her off at ~8:30p. He didn't even go inside. Apart from lying to psycho gf, what's wrong with this?

From what information has this PL jury formed their opinion that he's even partly guilty, and a scum? Since when does it become 'grooming' rather than mentoring when someone older and more experienced helps a younger person entering the field?

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems there may be a whole lotta piling on and groupthink in this thread, based only on tidbits from unreliable, anonymous sources.

Dear Abby:

I’m really concerned my girlfriend is violent and irrational. Admittedly, I didn’t make things any better by lying about a relationship. I’m trying to figure out my next step and I’d love your feedback.

Should I: (a) dissolve the relationship (b) spring for an “I’m sorry trip” to the Caribbean (c) buy her a gun.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

fried bake
05-23-2022, 10:19 AM
Dear Abby:

I’m really concerned my girlfriend is violent and irrational. Admittedly, I didn’t make things any better by lying about a relationship. I’m trying to figure out my next step and I’d love your feedback.

Should I: (a) dissolve the relationship (b) spring for an “I’m sorry trip” to the Caribbean (c) buy her a gun.

So, to be clear: he’s indirectly culpable by having purchased her a gun. I’m struggling with the idea that she was irrationally violent before this. Certainly she was (probably) rightly pissed off by his cheating, but how do we know she was violent? Also, no one has considered that she exercised any controlling emotional behavior to influence/force him to remain in the relationship. It’s quite possible isn’t it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KJMUNC
05-23-2022, 10:30 AM
In the end I just really hope they actually nab her alive so she can face justice and sit and think about it in jail for a significant portion of her remaining life (if not entirety of life). Offing herself is the easy way out.

prototoast
05-23-2022, 10:32 AM

Based on the police affidavit, he repeatedly and overtly lied to Ms Armstrong. He was kind of an asshole to Ms Armstrong (saying riding with her made him grumpy and she was holding him back). He was, at best, misleading to Ms Wilson (at least as of her text messages in January, she appeared to think there was still some romantic linkage between them, even though per his telling, he had reconciled with Ms Armstrong).

He knows Armstrong is apparently angry and jealous, and he buys her a gun, and then he lies about his whereabouts to hang out with Ms Wilson while she's in town.

It seems from the available evidence that Mr Strickland is not the murderer, but he is a walking red flag and I wouldn't want anything to do with him on a personal or professional level. I don't know if under Texas law there could be any civil or criminal case against him (the most likely nexus would be the gun, but my general understanding is that Texas firearms laws are fairly permissive), but I would rather ride with Nacer Bouhanni, Gianni Moscon, Alexander Vinokourov, and Lance Armstrong than Colin Strickland.

Clean39T
05-23-2022, 10:38 AM
….. but I would rather ride with Nacer Bouhanni, Gianni Moscon, Alexander Vinokourov, and Lance Armstrong than Colin Strickland.

I’d rather ride with DurianRider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

veloduffer
05-23-2022, 10:42 AM
Based on the police affidavit, he repeatedly and overtly lied to Ms Armstrong. He was kind of an asshole to Ms Armstrong (saying riding with her made him grumpy and she was holding him back). He was, at best, misleading to Ms Wilson (at least as of her text messages in January, she appeared to think there was still some romantic linkage between them, even though per his telling, he had reconciled with Ms Armstrong).

He knows Armstrong is apparently angry and jealous, and he buys her a gun, and then he lies about his whereabouts to hang out with Ms Wilson while she's in town.

It seems from the available evidence that Mr Strickland is not the murderer, but he is a walking red flag and I wouldn't want anything to do with him on a personal or professional level. I don't know if under Texas law there could be any civil or criminal case against him (the most likely nexus would be the gun, but my general understanding is that Texas firearms laws are fairly permissive), but I would rather ride with Nacer Bouhanni, Gianni Moscon, Alexander Vinokourov, and Lance Armstrong than Colin Strickland.

I think this will all be explained in a future Law & Order episode...

Mark McM
05-23-2022, 10:54 AM

In his statements, Strickland refers to his "proximity" to the crime. But "proximity" is a but if an understatement - it seems more like he was in the middle of it.

KonaSS
05-23-2022, 10:57 AM
It very much appears that Colin is a player/ass/jerk and made some very questionable decisions in his personal relationships with women. For this, at the very least, I am pretty sure he is going to pay by losing whatever "pro racer" career he has. Sponsors aren't going to want to touch him.

I HATE to defend him in any way, but I can see how a person would never ever imagine that what he was doing would ever lead to where it did.

yinzerniner
05-23-2022, 11:24 AM
Two things:
I think you're confusing my post with someone else's - I never said it was irrational for her to run. If anything most people in her situation WOULD run, since there's mountains of evidence against her for committing the crime and her chances of acquittal vs escape have to be tilted more towards the latter.

Yeah, my opinion has changed as more (and more reliable) information has come to light. But the police report is the most accurate and truthful document to date, and I'm basing my opinions on that. My opinion changed greatly between his initial statement and the police affidavit, which contrast greatly. It has nothing to do with the "information from the PL jury."
But to answer your questions -
"Apart from lying to psycho gf, what's wrong with this?" - That's like saying "apart from pouring gasoline on a fire, what's wrong with this?" If she truly had a history of suspect behavior and exhibited extreme jealousy then it's 100% Strickland's fault for not moving to end the relationship. And his shady behavior while not illegal certainly did not help and most likely inflamed her already shaky mindset. That DOES NOT make him responsible for her actions, but it DOES make him responsible for worsening her condition.
"From what information has this PL jury formed their opinion that he's even partly guilty, and a scum?" - Haven't seen many PL say he's guilty of "pulling the trigger" but he sure is guilty of inflaming Armstrong and keeping Wilson in the orbit of his ongoing personal minefield. He continued to keep in touch with Wilson to the objections of his current live-in girlfriend Armstrong, used an alias contact for Wilson, lied to his supposedly mentally unhinged Armstrong about meeting up with Wilson at the pool, and then strung along Wilson long enough to think that she was still in a relationship with him. I'm not even mentioning the gun purchase because there's not enough information behind the circumstances of the purchase - we don't know if or when Armstrong asked for the gun purchase, or if Strickland knew Armstrong still had an arrest warrant (though faulty) out on her.
" Since when does it become 'grooming' rather than mentoring when someone older and more experienced helps a younger person entering the field?" - As soon as there's a sexual encounter or possibility for such it becomes grooming.
"Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems there may be a whole lotta piling on and groupthink in this thread, based only on tidbits from unreliable, anonymous sources." - I think you are missing something since you're completely absolving Strickland's actions in the affidavit due to him not being the person who pulled the trigger. His direct actions of
A) Lying to Armstrong about contacting Wilson, while Armstrong made her objections clear
B) Stringing along Wilson to the point where she believed to be in an active relationship with Strickland and
C) Not either breaking up with Armstrong or setting clear boundaries and status with regards to his "proximity" to Wilson

All contributed to the incredibly tragic and horrific outcome, how much is up to each to decide (and most likely will be up to a jury to decide as well in a civil trial). And yes, three lives are directly ruined with countless others also affected. Just awful all around.

Also you've already stated your own position of having dealt with a "ridiculously jealous gf" so don't you think your own personal biases are coloring your opinions and stance as well?

I’d rather ride with DurianRider.
You've crossed a line with that one.

I HATE to defend him in any way, but I can see how a person would never ever imagine that what he was doing would ever lead to where it did.
Don't know why that would be a "defense" rather than a statement of fact. From the available verifiable evidence he's an a$$#0!3 but NOT a monster. At the same time I can't think of many brands who relish being associated with an a$$#0!3.

Zackus
05-23-2022, 11:27 AM
It very much appears that Colin is a player/ass/jerk and made some very questionable decisions in his personal relationships with women. For this, at the very least, I am pretty sure he is going to pay by losing whatever "pro racer" career he has. Sponsors aren't going to want to touch him.

Based on a quick look it does appear that Allied bikes may have scrubbed their Instagram of him going back a couple years. I certainly seem to think he was pretty well featured in their posts.

rallizes
05-23-2022, 11:33 AM
I am curious...

Say Armstrong goes home and Strickland is made aware of what has occurred.

Is Strickland obligated to contact the authorities?

Can Strickland withhold any info about Armstrong and not be an accessory after the fact?

XXtwindad
05-23-2022, 11:34 AM
Two things:

Edit: legally speaking, there isn’t. If there were any malicious falsehoods posted here about Strickland (and the bar for public figures is much higher) it would be libel, not slander.

On that note, based on all the information available, Strickland isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. I feel very comfortable (from a legal perspective) writing that.

crankles
05-23-2022, 11:36 AM
In his statements, Strickland refers to his "proximity" to the crime. But "proximity" is a but if an understatement - it seems more like he was in the middle of it.

that choice of that word is very telling. "Nothing that happened can be attributed to me."

He's excusing himself from culpability....just caught in the blast radius. Makes him seem like the victim. Ugh

KonaSS
05-23-2022, 11:38 AM
Based on a quick look it does appear that Allied bikes may have scrubbed their Instagram of him going back a couple years. I certainly seem to think he was pretty well featured in their posts.

Good catch - he is also not listed as a Wahoo athlete any more either.

mistermo
05-23-2022, 11:40 AM
Dear Abby:

Has anyone here ever been in a relationship with someone who has borderline personality disorder (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3494330/)?

I don't know it to be true, but based on the facts I've seen, I'd make a high stakes wager that Ms Armstrong has BPD. Criteria #1 from DSM: "Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment". Even if she imagined CS was up to something, she'd act.

As someone who's been in a relationship with someone one who's got BPD, I can say first hand that one makes all sorts of accommodations to one's ordinary behavior to avoid 'triggering' that person's histrionics and crazy-making. I eventually chose to leave the relationship and paid a dear price for leaving. I've got a close friend who's decided to stay in his relationship with his BPD wife and he's paying a dear price for staying. There IS NO GOOD OUTCOME for having been in a relationship with someone with BPD.

There's an underlying assumption in this thread that Mr. Strickland is the perpetrator and that his 'gaslighting' triggered Ms. Armstrong. This follows a tired societal stereotype that the male is the perpetrator and the female, the victim.

Many in this thread request understanding and acceptance for casting off traditional societal norms. However, they're quick to hold to a societal stereotype that portrays the male as the perpetrator and the female as the victim.

There should be no doubt that Ms Wilson and her family are the victims. Of that, we all agree.

Unless there's something I've missed, and I'm open to that, I'm not willing to assassinate Colin Strickland's character for lying to a overly jealous (confirmed) gf to avoid a histrionic, bpd tirade (possibly). None of us here know what Strickland was into, and unless you've been in a relationship with someone with BPD, you can't even imagine the crazymaking that would've been in Colin's life and the irrational accommodations he would have made to avoid the hysteria.

To casually suggest he should break up with a [possibly] BPD girlfriend is wholly ignorant of the personal cost (emotionally, financially, physically) associated with actually going through with this. To imply that Strickland should know that a gun he buys would later be used in a murder is equally preposterous.

Many people find the ability to empathize with a woman who returns to an abuser who declares that he won't do it again. Does everyone think this only happens to women? Really? Is it possible the same can happen to men? Of course. This happens all the time in BPD relationships.

I don't know the circumstances, which I readily admit. However, I DO know that there's a tired societal stereotype that the male is the perpetrator and the female is the victim. If CS was in a relationship with someone with BPD, then it's highly likely he was the victim and he was the one being gaslighted. It's highly likely that he took all measures to not only spare himself, but spare Armstrong from her own pain from real or imagined events. Again, I don't know this to be the case, but neither does anyone here know it wasn't.

Point is, he lied. Big whoop. We've all lied and most of us weren't in relationships with BPD-others. Hopefully, those of us who are able, have mentored those less experienced, which doesn't equate to 'grooming'. We all live in glass houses, and there seem to be many who have decided they can throw stones at his, without knowing the true details of what his relationship with this psychotic person was really like.

Unless there's validity to the Reddit posts (there doesn't seem to be) and unless Sammi comes forward as a non-anonymous source (they haven't), then the rest is just tired gossip and speculation unless there's something else I've missed.

M_D_S
05-23-2022, 11:41 AM
I am curious...

Say Armstrong goes home and Strickland is made aware of what has occurred.

Is Strickland obligated to contact the authorities?

Can Strickland withhold any info about Armstrong and not be an accessory after the fact?

No, on both fronts. Private citizens have no obligation to either report crimes, or to provide information to the authorities, either in response to questioning, or on their own. Actively misleading the authorities is another matter, and could potentially carry criminal liability.

rallizes
05-23-2022, 11:45 AM
No, on both fronts. Private citizens have no obligation to either report crimes, or to provide information to the authorities, either in response to questioning, or on their own. Actively misleading the authorities is another matter, and could potentially carry criminal liability.

Thank you

mistermo
05-23-2022, 11:45 AM
Edit: legally speaking, there isn’t. If there were any malicious falsehoods posted here about Strickland (and the bar for public figures is much higher) it would be libel, not slander.

On that note, based on all the information available, Strickland isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. I feel very comfortable (from a legal perspective) writing that.

Did you really think I was writing my post from a legal perspective? C'mon.

I'm genuinely surprised that you are the type to pile on 'based on all the information available' as you seem to be the first to defend your out of the ordinary choices 'based on all the information available' to others. Please offer the same grace and understanding to others whose situation with which you can't relate, that you ask of others.

XXtwindad
05-23-2022, 11:51 AM
Did you really think I was writing my post from a legal perspective? C'mon.

I'm genuinely surprised that you are the type to pile on 'based on all the information available' as you seem to be the first to defend your out of the ordinary choices 'based on all the information available' to others. Please offer the same grace and understanding to others whose situation with which you can't relate, that you ask of others.

I was just clarifying a term. No personal offense meant. I think our biggest disagreement is in the amount of culpability Strickland has for the tragic series of events. My take is a lot. Your take seems to be different.

mistermo
05-23-2022, 12:02 PM
I was just clarifying a term. No personal offense meant.

You and several others seem to be slandering, scratch that, pillorying CS. I get it. Neither you nor I know CS and we certainly don't know the circumstances under which he was living, with Armstrong. I can guess, an informed guess, that Armstrong had mental issues, which might be BPD. If you've been in a relationship with someone with BPD, or any other abusive relationship, and still find the ability to ridicule the victim for choices they make in the context of that relationship, we are dissimilar which surprises me because I thought we were more alike.

yinzerniner
05-23-2022, 12:11 PM
Has anyone here ever been in a relationship with someone who has borderline personality disorder (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3494330/)?

I don't know it to be true, but based on the facts I've seen, I'd make a high stakes wager that Ms Armstrong has BPD. Criteria #1 from DSM: "Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment". Even if she imagined CS was up to something, she'd act.

As someone who's been in a relationship with someone one who's got BPD, I can say first hand that one makes all sorts of accommodations to one's ordinary behavior to avoid 'triggering' that person's histrionics and crazy-making. I eventually chose to leave the relationship and paid a dear price for leaving. I've got a close friend who's decided to stay in his relationship with his BPD wife and he's paying a dear price for staying. There IS NO GOOD OUTCOME for having been in a relationship with someone with BPD.
That can absolutely be true, but how do YOU know that Armstrong had BPD? You're making an assumption and creating an opinion based off armchair analysis.

There's an underlying assumption in this thread that Mr. Strickland is the perpetrator and that his 'gaslighting' triggered Ms. Armstrong. This follows a tired societal stereotype that the male is the perpetrator and the female, the victim.

Many in this thread request understanding and acceptance for casting off traditional societal norms. However, they're quick to hold to a societal stereotype that portrays the male as the perpetrator and the female as the victim.
Most reasonable commenters have pulled back from the "triggering" aspect, but his verified actions in the affidavit were irrefutably damaging and untruthful to both Armstrong and Wilson.

There should be no doubt that Ms Wilson and her family are the victims. Of that, we all agree.
100%

Unless there's something I've missed, and I'm open to that, I'm not willing to assassinate Colin Strickland's character for lying to a overly jealous (confirmed) gf to avoid a histrionic, bpd tirade (possibly). None of us here know what Strickland was into, and unless you've been in a relationship with someone with BPD, you can't even imagine the crazymaking that would've been in Colin's life and the irrational accommodations he would have made to avoid the hysteria.
To say Armstrong was "overly jealous" is not confirmed. Maybe she was "understandably jealous" especially since it's in the record that Wilson still thought she was in a relationship with Strickland? But agree that we don't know why he lied, we just know that he did to both Wilson and Armstrong.

To casually suggest he should break up with a [possibly] BPD girlfriend is wholly ignorant of the personal cost (emotionally, financially, physically) associated with actually going through with this. To imply that Strickland should know that a gun he buys would later be used in a murder is equally preposterous.
Many people find the ability to empathize with a woman who returns to an abuser who declares that he won't do it again. Does everyone think this only happens to women? Really? Is it possible the same can happen to men? Of course. This happens all the time in BPD relationships.
100% on the gun purchase - not enough info to gauge any culpability.
I agree with we don't know the circumstances, but based off the facts in the affidavit there's ZERO information given whether he was the aggrieved/captive party or the possessive party in the relationship. It very well could be that Armstrong threatened physical, financial, reputational harm against him and/or herself to keep him in the relationship - we do not know. But the fact that he lied to Armstrong about continued contact with Wilson, he lied to Wilson about their current relationship status, and he lied to Armstrong about meeting with Wilson all create a picture of shadiness for Strickland. Any on of the above facts in isolation don't create a narrative, but all three combined do.

I don't know the circumstances, which I readily admit. However, I DO know that there's a tired societal stereotype that the male is the perpetrator and the female is the victim. If CS was in a relationship with someone with BPD, then it's highly likely he was the victim and he was the one being gaslighted. It's highly likely that he took all measures to not only spare himself, but spare Armstrong from her own pain from real or imagined events. Again, I don't know this to be the case, but neither does anyone here know it wasn't.
Again you're creating a narrative based on ZERO information, while you also bemoan people doing the exact same thing. There's a word for that.

Point is, he lied. Big whoop. We've all lied and most of us weren't in relationships with BPD-others. Hopefully, those of us who are able, have mentored those less experienced, which doesn't equate to 'grooming'. We all live in glass houses, and there seem to be many who have decided they can throw stones at his, without knowing the true details of what his relationship with this psychotic person was really like.
His lies did not directly cause Armstrong to kill Wilson, but to quote the Rummels post at CT - "I will always consider him at fault for pulling Mo into his trash fire of a dating life." If Strickland wanted to comletely extricate Wilson from his dating life he could have, but he didn't.

It's obvious you come with personal experience and tons of knowledge on this manner and that's highly appreciated, but skating over the facts in the affidavit while injecting your owns suppositions doesn't help the cause of holding opinions until "everything" is known. And this is coming from someone who also dated a person with BPD - to the point where I and our shared closest friends had to change all our email and social media passwords due to the BPD S.O. in question wanting to manufacture secret affairs and drama behind our backs. Identity theft is the best!

Unless there's validity to the Reddit posts (there doesn't seem to be) and unless Sammi comes forward as a non-anonymous source (they haven't), then the rest is just tired gossip and speculation unless there's something else I've missed.
Pretty sure it's established fact that the "Mo Wilson" posts in the reddit thread aren't from her, as though there are some correlations to conjecture the a lot of points in the posts don't line up with verifiable facts about Wilson and Strickland.

What about "good samaritan" laws?
Full disclosure - I only have that term nestled in the brain from the Seinfeld finale.

XXtwindad
05-23-2022, 12:11 PM
You and several others seem to be slandering, scratch that, pillorying CS. I get it. Neither you nor I know CS and we certainly don't know the circumstances under which he was living, with Armstrong. I can guess, an informed guess, that Armstrong had mental issues, which might be BPD. If you've been in a relationship with someone with BPD, or any other abusive relationship, and still find the ability to ridicule the victim for choices they make in the context of that relationship, we are dissimilar which surprises me because I thought we were more alike.

Look, I empathize with whatever situation you went/are going through. It sounds like an emotional roller coaster, to say the least. I don’t know if Armstrong had BPD. But clearly, Strickland knew she was enraged about his relationship with Wilson. And, in addition to having purchased her a gun previously (exactly when isn’t clear) he proceeds to lie about his whereabouts on the fateful night. (If reports are accurate)

I do believe Mr. Strickland will end up in court.

fried bake
05-23-2022, 12:15 PM

Agree with much of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Michael D
05-23-2022, 12:22 PM

Thanks for this post, it's a valuable perspective.

Michael D
05-23-2022, 12:31 PM
Look, I empathize with whatever situation you went/are going through. It sounds like an emotional roller coaster, to say the least. I don’t know if Armstrong had BPD. But clearly, Strickland knew she was enraged about his relationship with Wilson. And, in addition to having purchased her a gun previously (exactly when isn’t clear) he proceeds to lie about his whereabouts on the fateful night. (If reports are accurate)

I do believe Mr. Strickland will end up in court.

Just because she was jealous (rightfully to some extent) doesn't mean she had shown indications of violent tendencies. Also maybe they just liked guns and wanted to get some. It's Texas/America after all. It doesn't look good but I guarantee he didn't think she was going to murder with it.

Not saying he's in the clear totally because he could have handled things better... but saying the murder is on him?

earlfoss
05-23-2022, 12:36 PM
I agree with Mistermo's post more than not.

If the investigators are able to determine that Colin can be charged with anything in connection to Mo's murder, I would bet money they will.

XXtwindad
05-23-2022, 12:37 PM
Just because she was jealous (rightfully to some extent) doesn't mean she had shown indications of violent tendencies. Also maybe they just liked guns and wanted to get some. It's Texas/America after all. It doesn't look good but I guarantee he didn't think she was going to murder with it.

Not saying he's in the clear totally because he could have handled things better... but saying the murder is on him?

I never wrote that. I wrote that Strickland had culpability in the tragic outcome. I doubt he could be found criminally liable.

Also, I fully support mistermo’s right to express differing opinions, as they were expressed civilly.

lavi
05-23-2022, 01:03 PM
My guess. Ms. Armstrong is facedown in a ditch somewhere. I could be wrong. I thought I read that the the gun and jeep are not in her possession. This is a 35/ish yo yoga whatever type person. A Mensa candidate she is not. Neither is Mr Cool.

It's all so sad. Armstrong ended a person's life. Immediately following, it's likely that panic and fear took over. How horrible that must have felt for her? Not that I feel sorry for her...just acknowledging how horrible it must have felt. I cannot imagine the terror and panic if I somehow (never gonna happen) found myself in her shoes.

As to Sr. Jackass, I don't think he's responsible (in a legal sense), but he is responsible. His actions (lying/cheating) are what directly and irrefutably lead to Mo getting shot and killed. IIRC, he was with Armstrong (on/off) for 3 years. That's more than enough time that he knew what kind of a person she is. I find it very hard to believe that Armstrong would suddenly pull a gun and kill someone out of the blue...without there being clear signs, to CS, that she was that level of unstable. Asshat would have seen signs from her regarding mental instability over time. They were on and off again. They lived together. Unless, if he's a raging narcist, then he likely would have noticed nothing as these morons notice nothing in life that extends further than the end of their noses. In his case, his pecker too.

He knew, or should have known. He put Mo directly in harms way.

The cycling community is too conjoined and super woke (my fave) (Not) for him to "survive" with any type of riding career. Deservedly so.

Can you imagine what would happen if he were to just show up at the start line for Unbound???

NHAero
05-23-2022, 01:04 PM
I think we get invested in trying to understand this because of how it may not be so remote from what we could imagine in our lives (similar to the tragedy of Metin Uz's death.) For example, Payton Gendron killing 10 people who he has never met - the detailed planning, the online presence, the time it took to put it all together, the theories on which he based his actions - that's all way too far from what I can even imagine, so I personally am less interested in the details. In my view he's crazy, and not momentarily crazy, but suffers from a chronic condition. Kaitlin Armstrong, it feels different. I can at least understand that the people involved she knows well, she has a personal grievance, she has a level of emotion around it that leads to what is to me a deranged act - being more in the realm of what I can imagine, it draws me in more to understand it all.

I also appreciate the posts here that contribute to furthering our ability to understand, and to not make assumptions that don't encompass much of what we don't understand, not just about the particular situation, but about the range of human behavior.

tomato coupe
05-23-2022, 01:08 PM
What about "good samaritan" laws?
Full disclosure - I only have that term nestled in the brain from the Seinfeld finale.
I think it’s best to learn about the law on comedy shows.

AngryScientist
05-23-2022, 01:12 PM
Good Samaritan laws protect non professional people who are trying to do the right thing.

Example, woman gets chicken bone lodged in her throat and bystander gives Heimlich Maneuver, saves her life but cracks her ribs. Law protects that dude because he was trying in good faith to help.

tomato coupe
05-23-2022, 01:14 PM
I think for younger people today being on the run will prover to be extremely difficult. Staying off of her known cell phones, not using credit cards and keeping a very low digital profile are not going to be easy to do these days when everyone is addicted to that kind of stuff that makes it easy to find a person.

A burner phone solves a lot of those problems.

R3awak3n
05-23-2022, 01:23 PM
A burner phone solves a lot of those problems.

but she has to buy the burner phone? I am not sure about you but being about that age, I don't have more than $30 on me ever, if that much. Unless she really planed this whole thing out which, maybe I am just naive, i don't think she did and think she went in there with 1 intention and then ended up doing something really bad.

spoonrobot
05-23-2022, 01:23 PM
Reading about this online and most people seem a lot angrier at Strickland, than Armstrong - very current year feelings.

Every story needs a villain - and if you're a man, in the USA in this era, you better have a mountain of evidence, a slick media presence, and a metric ton of charm to avoid conviction in the court of public opinion.

tomato coupe
05-23-2022, 01:25 PM
but she has to buy the burner phone? I am not sure about you but being about that age, I don't have more than $30 on me ever, if that much. Unless she really planed this whole thing out which, maybe I am just naive, i don't think she did and think she went in there with 1 intention and then ended up doing something really bad.

She had several days after the shooting to get some cash.

rallizes
05-23-2022, 01:27 PM
She had several days after the shooting to get some cash.

Rumor is she did.

Big Dan
05-23-2022, 01:37 PM
Reading about this online and most people seem a lot angrier at Strickland, than Armstrong - very current year feelings.

Every story needs a villain - and if you're a man, in the USA in this era, you better have a mountain of evidence, a slick media presence, and a metric ton of charm to avoid conviction in the court of public opinion.

You are right. He is the real victim here.

callmeishmael
05-23-2022, 01:54 PM
A few points:

I haven't dug through all the possible info, but it seems fairly clear that Strickland was not the type of guy many of us would want dating our daughter, sister, or close friend;
he has admitted lying, in quite a systemic/organised way, and there's very strong suggestions of 2 timing;
That said, if he reasonably believed Armstrong was violent/irrational/had some sort of personality disorder, it beggars belief that he would have bought her a gun. There's not being bright and there's mind-boggling, complete, potentially-suicidal stupidity;
It follows from that that it's hard to say he's responsible for this tragedy. Did he likely know he was acting like an a$$hat? Yes, almost certainly. Did he think in his wildest imaginings that would end in someone dead or seriously physically hurt? I very, very much doubt it, because Armstrong's (apparent) reaction was not proportional, rational or (see the gun point above) apparently predictable.
So, very much without all the info, he seems to join a long list of people (of both genders) who have behaved badly in relationships. That doesn't make him a good dude (he seems to have a laundry list of unenviable traits) and I'm not defending his character. But if Armstrong was willing to shoot a woman who went for a swim and a meal with her partner, then that suggests to me it was a case of when, not if, she lost control. Of course, that Strickland appears not to have realised this could happen speaks volumes about either his intelligence, emotional or otherwise.

On a side note, while I'm UK based, my father was a police officer for over 30 years, and I mentioned this case to him in passing at the weekend. His view was that the well-resourced could sometimes evade the authorities if they a) planned in advance, b) had lots of money and c) had a network they could depend on, especially if that was a criminal one that could provide fake documents, safe houses, transport, burner phones etc.

But Joe Public, without that network, without diversified wealth, and without planning? Incredibly unlikely.

XXtwindad
05-23-2022, 01:59 PM
A few points:

I haven't dug through all the possible info, but it seems fairly clear that Strickland was not the type of guy many of us would want dating our daughter, sister, or close friend;
he has admitted lying, in quite a systemic/organised way, and there's very strong suggestions of 2 timing;
That said, if he reasonably believed Armstrong was violent/irrational/had some sort of personality disorder, it beggars belief that he would have bought her a gun. There's not being bright and there's mind-boggling, complete, potentially-suicidal stupidity;
It follows from that that it's hard to say he's responsible for this tragedy. Did he likely know he was acting like an a$$hat? Yes, almost certainly. Did he think in his wildest imaginings that would end in someone dead or seriously physically hurt? I very, very much doubt it, because Armstrong's (apparent) reaction was not proportional, rational or (see the gun point above) apparently predictable.
So, very much without all the info, he seems to join a long list of people (of both genders) who have behaved badly in relationships. That doesn't make him a good dude (he seems to have a laundry list of unenviable traits) and I'm not defending his character. But if Armstrong was willing to shoot a woman who went for a swim and a meal with her partner, then that suggests to me it was a case of when, not if, she lost control. Of course, that Strickland appears not to have realised this could happen speaks volumes about either his intelligence, emotional or otherwise.

On a side note, while I'm UK based, my father was a police officer for over 30 years, and I mentioned this case to him in passing at the weekend. His view was that the well-resourced could sometimes evade the authorities if they a) planned in advance, b) had lots of money and c) had a network they could depend on, especially if that was a criminal one that could provide fake documents, safe houses, transport, burner phones etc.

But Joe Public, without that network, without diversified wealth, and without planning? Incredibly unlikely.

To me, this is the biggest issue. The rest are moral judgements, (not going to parse those) and he'll have to face the music from his sponsors. His stupidity
had consequences.

R3awak3n
05-23-2022, 02:09 PM

To me, this is the biggest issue. The rest are moral judgements, (not going to parse those) and he'll have to face the music from his sponsors. His stupidity
had consequences.

But then again, she could have also easily gone and bought a gun. I mean I think its idiotic to buy anyone a gun, regardless but if she wanted to do what she did, she could have gone and bought a gun in 5 minutes and done the same exact thing

raygunner
05-23-2022, 02:15 PM
But then again, she could have also easily gone and bought a gun. I mean I think its idiotic to buy anyone a gun, regardless but if she wanted to do what she did, she could have gone and bought a gun in 5 minutes and done the same exact thing

5 minutes?

callmeishmael
05-23-2022, 02:16 PM
deleted.

raygunner
05-23-2022, 02:17 PM
This thing reminds me of the late, great Patrice O'Neal's bit about Natalee Hollway.

R3awak3n
05-23-2022, 02:18 PM
5 minutes?

Oh sorry, its texas so 3 minutes.

It was a figure of speech but she could have gone to a gun store and bought a gun that same day. From what I understand there is no wait period to buy a firearm in texas. You go to store, you pass a background check and you come home with a weapon. But yall correct me if I am wrong

buddybikes
05-23-2022, 02:23 PM
Please keep on subject, go over to lavender room on slow twitch if you want gun debate. Facts and underlying information on this tragedy is what is needed.

mistermo
05-23-2022, 02:25 PM
To say Armstrong was "overly jealous" is not confirmed. Maybe she was "understandably jealous" especially since it's in the record that Wilson still thought she was in a relationship with Strickland? But agree that we don't know why he lied, we just know that he did to both Wilson and Armstrong.

Can we not agree that the assassination of another, based on real or perceived affection of your SO demonstrates overly jealous behavior? What criteria is required to establish over-jealousy?

Is the implication that Armstrong's behavior is an understandable outcome to being lied to or that because she was lied to it's somehow less egregious?

Again you're creating a narrative based on ZERO information, while you also bemoan people doing the exact same thing. There's a word for that.

Nope. I readily admit I don't know the full story and have incomplete information. I have the same information you do, which is that Armstrong killed Wilson based on a real or perceived notion that she was in a romantic affair with CS. And we both know CS lied, but to what extent or why remains speculative. That's not ZERO information.

As for the BPD theory, I readily admit I don't know. However, it fits within the established facts and Armstrong's behavior is consistent with someone who has BPD. If one has ever been in a relationship with someone with BPD, then you know that lying is necessary for survival. Literally.

I'm merely presenting an alternate scenario that doesn't vilify CS the way so many here have rushed to do.

It's established that many women stay in abusive relationships. Why is it implausible that a man might stay in an abusive relationship too? We don't bemoan women who lie to avoid being abused in a relationship. Why would you bemoan a man who might have done the same?

I don't know the full story and neither does anyone here. I'm simply putting forth a scenario, based on factual and incomplete information, and personal experience, that provides a sensible rationale for the behavior of CS. Not one single post in this thread has done this.

I urge people to consider they don't know the whole story and to avoid rushing to judgement of another's situation (or character) based on anonymous internet posts and incomplete information. I urge people to consider that men can be victims of abusive relationships too, and in those abusive relationships, men may behave in ways similar to women who are in abusive relationships.

Likes2ridefar
05-23-2022, 02:25 PM
Oh sorry, its texas so 3 minutes.

It was a figure of speech but she could have gone to a gun store and bought a gun that same day. From what I understand there is no wait period to buy a firearm in texas. You go to store, you pass a background check and you come home with a weapon. But yall correct me if I am wrong

In arizona I can walk down to my neighbor below me (who runs a gun store) and purchase a gun from him legally with cash with no paper work, I think I could do it in 3 :)

KJMUNC
05-23-2022, 02:27 PM

The joint-gun purchase does seem especially idiotic if the timing of events in the affidavit is to be believed. K-A already had expressed anger at him hanging with Mo and he was still talking to her.....the last thing on earth he should've bought K-A (2nd worst only to an engagement ring) was a gun.

spoonrobot
05-23-2022, 02:33 PM
Not one single post in this thread has done this.

It's very hard for the demographic that posts on this board to accept that a woman, acting alone, stalked another women, broke into her residence-at-the-time and shot her to death with a handgun.

There must be something to ameliorate Armstrong's actions, if even in the slightest, in order not to upset their worldview.

Strickland was obviously stuck in an abusive relationship given his admitted fear that his girlfriend was going to search his phone, read his texts, and become angry at him.

Nobody on this board is going to understand the breadth of the relationships at play here, no matter how many cyclingtips comments or anonymous tipster quotes they read.

AngryScientist
05-23-2022, 02:35 PM
It's established that many women stay in abusive relationships. Why is it implausible that a man might stay in an abusive relationship too? .

You paint CS as potentially being stuck in an abusive relationship, but he buys her a gun? How does that fact fit into your proposed narrative?