PDA

View Full Version : Any way around airline fees for bike (AA)

DRZRM
04-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Hey guys,

I'm flying out to Fort Collins CO for a few weeks in June for work. My first thought was to ship my MTB out to a shop there, but I remember some of the problems people have had with FedEx/UPS with insurance recently (I have a Trico case so I'm more worried about loss than damage). I called American Airline, and they want $80 each way to check it (and they said offered no insurance for loss or damage, but I have my home insurance so I'm not too concerned). That seemed expensive for what you get (nothing), so I thought I'd ask if you guys had figured out any way around this besides buying a S&S coupled bike.

Zach

SoCalSteve
04-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Hey guys,

I'm flying out to Fort Collins CO for a few weeks in June for work. My first thought was to ship my MTB out to a shop there, but I remember some of the problems people have had with FedEx/UPS with insurance recently (I have a Trico case so I'm more worried about loss than damage). I called American Airline, and they want $80 each way to check it (and they said offered no insurance for loss or damage, but I have my home insurance so I'm not too concerned). That seemed expensive for what you get (nothing), so I thought I'd ask if you guys had figured out any way around this besides buying a S&S coupled bike.
Zach

Just curious how a S & S coupled bike would change anything?

You are getting something...you are getting extra luggage transported for you. Its extra weight, extra space and more fuel costs. People have to transport it to and from the plane, etc, etc, etc...

I dont think $160.00 is a great deal of money.....check out how much FedEx or UPs would chaarge to ship your Trico box in both directions....probably a similiar amount...

In all the years I have been shipping and recieveing stuff, I have never had one thing lost in shipping. I had USPS destroyt a set of wheels once...but thats it.

Good luck!

Steve

mosca
04-19-2007, 03:53 PM
show up at baggage check-in and play dumb. It's up to the clerk whether he/she wants to charge you the extra fee - many times they will let it slide. If they give you a hard time, you can always try the old "they never charged me before", or "the other airlines don't charge me for this!" Worth a try anyway.

samcat
04-19-2007, 04:10 PM
I shipped my TriCo to Houston, insured for $3,900.00, for about $50.00, IIRC, a few months ago. I've done that about a dozen times over the past couple of years. Had no issues.

You'll need a week, or so, in transit to insure delivery when you get there. Usually takes less time, though they won't guarantee it.

PH

ClutchCargo
04-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Airlines are getting tougher about this, I think. United charged me extra last year, treating my Trico case as oversized baggage, on a flight to Denver, and when I picked it up from the baggage handler he told me that they had extended the charge for oversized baggage to golf clubs, which used to be standard if under the 50lb. weight limit.

Worse, when I checked the bike case going home the checker wanted to charge me extra because the case was over the 50lbs limit. This of course is pretty unfair, given the case alone generally weighs 30-35 lbs empty. Especially at the Denver airport, which probably gets more than its share of of bike cases. Then again, maybe the checker is counting on a cash payment that can be pocketed.

It's like cutting out free sodas and such on the flights, the airlines are searching the sofa cushions for change. [sigh]

ss-jimbo
04-19-2007, 04:56 PM
If you're light on luggage, one thing that works is two boxes, one for the frame and one for the wheels. Pack clothes, shoes, helmet in the boxes with the frame and wheel (obviously protected from the greasy bits) and in a carry on (it's amazing what they'll still let you carry on, from a size standpoint). I know this won't work for a Trico, but it does fit under the size limit. The fee isn't actually for bikes, but rather for oversized luggage, which is why S&S bikes don't have to pay.

Jimbo

Mud
04-19-2007, 05:03 PM
We used to ride a lot with Dreamride in Moab and Fruita. I would always send the bikes Fedex Ground and give Lee a key. The bikes would arrive be assembled and tuned, and, after our trip, be disassembled and shipped back. Lugging two bikes through airports is a hernia waiting to happen for me much less one bike and luggage. Must be a forumite out there who has a contact at a good shop who can make the connection for you. It is so much easier not to have to schlep bikes, not cheap but it is a vacation. :beer:

ejh
04-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Hello Zack, If you want you could ship it, UPS or Fed ex to my house I live in Loveland, and save a lot of $. Eric

vaxn8r
04-19-2007, 05:46 PM
show up at baggage check-in and play dumb. It's up to the clerk whether he/she wants to charge you the extra fee - many times they will let it slide. If they give you a hard time, you can always try the old "they never charged me before", or "the other airlines don't charge me for this!" Worth a try anyway.
That's what I do. In the past 10 years I've been charged the fee roughly 50% of the time. What I've found is if they ask anything about the case it's over, full charge, no talking out of it. When it's been free they take the ticket and say nothing.

04-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Two approaches: First, ship the bike itself in a frame box by 2nd or 3rd day Fedex. The smaller box is equivalent in price to a large box by ground. Then get a zipp padded wheelbag (or equivalent), pack it in a sturdy cardboard box, and check it without a surcharge. This way you're not without your bike as long and there's less chance of damage to the bike from wheels grinding against the frame.

Better approach: Use a Race Case or equivalent, paint the outside in a flexible vinyl paint in bright yellow or some such awful color. Then stencil on the outside in black vinyl paint "Fragile Wheelchair". I've never been charged. The security people can't even figure out most of the time that it's not a wheelchair.

Personally I do try to Fedex or UPS it whenever possible -- it's simply more reliable about getting there when I do compared to the airlines. I have an S&S frame that I seldom use any longer -- not that it's a bad ride, but an S&S case can get lost as readily as a Trico or Race Case and that's my bigger worry. The $160 is especially obnoxious when the bike isn't there when you arrive.

myette10
04-19-2007, 06:15 PM
My technique has been super effective... along the lines of the "fragile wheelchair" option above but it relies a bit more on the system to work against itself. I'm reluctant to post it though, I don't want them to figure it out!

mosca
04-19-2007, 06:22 PM
That's what I do. In the past 10 years I've been charged the fee roughly 50% of the time. What I've found is if they ask anything about the case it's over, full charge, no talking out of it. When it's been free they take the ticket and say nothing.Several years ago, checking in at an Alitalia ticket counter, I had put my bike box on a luggage cart standing on end, with the flat side facing forward. Basically it looked as big as a house and I could see the ticket agent's eyes get really wide as I approached. I was actually able to talk my way out of the upcharge that time, but the moral of the story is: make your bike box look as small as possible. Turn the small end toward the ticket counter, and position your other luggage to obscure the bike box if possible.

For domestic travel, I'd strongly consider shipping the bike just for the convenience factor.

DRZRM
04-19-2007, 06:46 PM

You are getting something...you are getting extra luggage transported for you. Its extra weight, extra space and more fuel costs. People have to transport it to and from the plane, etc, etc, etc...

I dont think $160.00 is a great deal of money.....check out how much FedEx or UPs would chaarge to ship your Trico box in both directions....probably a similiar amount...

In all the years I have been shipping and recieveing stuff, I have never had one thing lost in shipping. I had USPS destroyt a set of wheels once...but thats it.

Good luck!

Steve

Hey Steve,

Fair point, $160 is not that much money, but I have to disagree with you on it being "extra" baggage. You can say it's charging for size, but it's not necessarily extra baggage. If it was the only bag you checked you could keep it under the limit (remember you can fly with two 50 pounders free of charge). I think I could get a lightly packed trico under 50 and have my gear and luggage in a second bag. People have to transport luggage, snowboards, wheelchairs, strollers, etc., and S&S coupled bikes in hard cases (because they don't know they are bikes) and last I checked I was already paying them for that service. I do feel like bikers (and now golfers) are being penalized. I still think surfboards fly for free.

One buddy of mine puts, "fragile: musical equipment" on his bike box and usually gets away with it. I also have slipped bikes into curbside check-in with a $20 (actually it was $10 then, but times have changed) tip to the handlers and not been charged. I just wondered if there was a legit way around. You used to get some free passes for bikes on United when you joined one of the MTB racing groups, I just wondered if such deals were still around, and if they applied to American.

Mayette10, any chance of a PM with your technique? :D

Clay
04-19-2007, 07:20 PM
I take about everything that I need in the box (togs in a carry on) and I am still under the 50# weight limit. I have a S&S Coupled Gunnar Roadie and it rides great! Always get second looks on clubs rides! Neato

Bradford
04-19-2007, 08:01 PM

Don't cost nuttin.

My wife and I have taken our coupled tandem of planes twice. We keep each of the boxes under 50 lbs and no charge.

myette10
04-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Mayette10, any chance of a PM with your technique? :D
Aw hell... I tell them it is an ergometer for a exercise phys study I'm doing at the university. They try and type "ergometer" into the system to come up with the correct fee. Naturally it isn't there. After a few tries, most (well 4 out or 6) just push it on through.

vaxn8r
04-19-2007, 09:48 PM
My buddy came up to the counter with his bike box. They asked him what it was and he replied "It's my expedition gear". He was going to Alaska. The woman says: "Well, it's about the size of a bike so I'll charge the bike price".

vaxn8r
04-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Same buddy shipped his bike to Eugene for our annual ride. The bike showed up about 6 weeks after the trip was over.

No guarantees either way.

93legendti
04-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Tell them you are a sales rep and your leather jacket line is in the box. Worked once for me...

mdeeds71
04-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Here is how it goes....

Volume is why it is charged...For the same space, luggage fits more readily and is counted on in the manifest that way and due to regulations get a certain fixed weight if below 50# (30# is what is used in actuality for luggage vs actual weight. They only weight to see if over 50 due to regulations). If a bike is checked and it takes the space of lets say two suitcases, then we loose the space for those, thus they charge to cover this. Although it takes possibly less weight it is still degrading the lift capacity. Also figure in handling is required at a personal level vs automated due to size.

Bottom line...airlines are trying to make money...anyway that is possible. Costs for us are going up and the ticket prices have not in proportion to each other. He!!...I took a 40% concession. :butt: .......and I want it back!

My recommendation...well...hmmmm...I am trying to by a coupler...but...for the other bikes I would ship.

BTW even we pilots get charged by our own airline for bike cases...But, I can carry on a S&S :D

spiderman
04-20-2007, 10:58 AM
i just returned from a 5 day trip
with my s and s coupled bike and suitcase.
the case, bike and all my tools shoes and gear
minus helmet came to a grand total of 47 pounds.
in my other suitcase i hauled my helmet in an arkel trunk
one pannier with my bike stuff in it
the rear rack
and clothes for my conference.
multiple plane changes
no problems!
15 minutes to take the bike apart
and another 15 to pack it in the case...
i couldn't be happier!
...obtw,
get the mesh straps...
the whole bike can be taken out and examined
and replaced without having to repack!