PDA

View Full Version : HD TV broadcasting

C5 Snowboarder
04-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Any of you listen to HD TV broadcasts where the volume of the program is significatly lower than the same broadcast in analog? Also, when listening to an HD News broadcast the actual news is at a lower volume than the commercials? On my 3 different HD sets the listening volume of commercials is about 2X louder that that of the news program. Anyone have this same issue or am I just hating commercials and frustrated that I do not have a TIVO yet? :crap: :crap:

wtex
04-19-2007, 01:54 PM
You're not the only one, that's just the deal with digital.

SoCalSteve
04-19-2007, 01:57 PM
It may have something to do with the fact that HD audio is broadcast in Dolby 5.1....

and yes, you are not alone. I have TIVO through my Direct TV Satellite and anything that is broadcast in HD is signifigantly lower in volume.

Steve

C5 Snowboarder
04-19-2007, 02:09 PM
It may have something to do with the fact that HD audio is broadcast in Dolby 5.1....

and yes, you are not alone. I have TIVO through my Direct TV Satellite and anything that is broadcast in HD is signifigantly lower in volume.

Steve

I can accept the volume being lower but why do the commercials seems 2X louder? They are broadcast in HD audio also are they not?

LesMiner
04-20-2007, 07:12 AM
I receive HDTV over the air and on some stations find the volume is louder on the digital channel over the analog. Broadcasters have been accused for years about commericals being louder than other programming. Another interesting thing about over the air HDTV, there is more than a second of delay between analog and digital broadcasts. Makes a strange effect when the same broadcast is on two tv's one analog and the other digital.

DfCas
04-20-2007, 07:33 AM
I recently purchased a Sony LCD TV and it has an option in the audio menu called "Steady Sound" that stops this nonsense.Ads are no louder than the other programming.Nice feature and I assume most HD TV's have it.

BarryG
04-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Another interesting thing about over the air HDTV, there is more than a second of delay between analog and digital broadcasts. The delay is on your end, not the broadcaster's.

C5 Snowboarder
04-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Another interesting thing about over the air HDTV, there is more than a second of delay between analog and digital broadcasts. Makes a strange effect when the same broadcast is on two tv's one analog and the other digital.

I see the same on all my HD sets... weird. I wonder why the volume on a HD xmit is lower than a Analog. you would think they'd just boost the level so it would be the same

Kevan
04-20-2007, 10:12 AM
commercials are always louder than the program, so why not HDTV and the wonder boxes?

Ozz
04-20-2007, 10:19 AM
I'd heard that commercials aren't any louder than programs, it's just that where program noise has a range from "whispers to sirens", the commercials are always at the "siren" level. Maybe the HD signal has a higher max range so the overall noise level is higher?

I could be wrong, but it sounds reasonable to me....

slowgoing
04-20-2007, 10:22 AM
commercials are always louder than the program

True. What made the problem worse for me wasn't HDTV, but was using the external home theater speakers for watching TV broadcasts as opposed to playing movies. The volume differential, especially on commercials, was so noticeable that I was constantly adjusting the volume. I finally decided to use the TV's own speakers for TV broadcasts and only use the external home theater speakers for playing DVDs. Problem solved.