PDA

View Full Version : The Bicycle: The Key to Wellness

ti_boi
04-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I remember several years ago when I was a young guy who caught a nasty virus. I think it was 'mono' or some such variety. In one week I dropped 15 lbs of weight that I really didn't have to give. At the same point the transmission in my car gave out and all that I had was my Schwinn. I remember being incredibly weak....so much so that I could barely walk let alone ride at first. I attended school in a hilly town....very hilly. Needless to say I got better and stronger....and it was so easy to measure the progress based on how I was able to negotiate those hills.

Well, I tend to hibernate a bit in the cold weather and even though winter came late this year I took 3 months off recently and at 40 I was feeling pretty sluggish. Add to that some pretty strange 'bugs' that were creeping into my system....like shaking chills and sweats that came and went....and after some good sleep thankfully are gone.

I decided that I would bike to work at least once a week....hopefully more...and today I did just that. It was not as easy as jumping into the car, but after a nice round trip today--the negotiation of a fender bender off to one side...some craziness on the street here and there -- I reached and returned to my destination safely.

Now I sit with my 3 year-old daughter to my side feeling that old familiar relaxation that says..."I rode my bicycle today....and man do I feel great."
:beer: