PDA

View Full Version : Difference between new and old bike

dekindy
04-18-2007, 04:02 PM
I have posted this before but was hoping for more comments.

I have a Serotta Fierte Steel (2005) with 10-speed Ultegra (2006). I am still trying to figure out why the new Fierte does not seem to accelerate like my Schwinn Paramount (1989 with 7-speed Shimano 600). I have been told that the geometry's would not cause the diffeence so I have chosen to blame the Shimano WH-550r wheels that came on the Serotta. My old bike has a Wobler front wheel and Mavic MA-3 on the rear, both with Shimano 600 hubs. When I spin the old wheels they seem to spin forever. I am still not certain enough to spring for new wheels because the Shimano WH-550r's seem to spin pretty well also. I had a fitting and both bikes are set up the same. I am not a strong rider and certainly don't race, but it seems to be a noticeable difference.

I rode the Paramount last night for the first time and the down tube shifting is a pain. I am trying to decide if I want to sell it and buy better wheels and a more expensive computer or keep it as a backup bike. I liked it a lot but the new bike is so much better I doubt if I will ever ride it. A lot of people never sell a bike unless they absolutely have to, but I am not much of a pack rat.

thejen12
04-18-2007, 04:44 PM
My friend switched from 170 to 167.5 cranks and noticed she accelerates faster. Don't know if that fits your situation, but thought I'd mention it.

Jenn

CNY rider
04-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Is the problem a "sense" of lack of acceleration or have you timed yourself over a short distance and seen an actual difference?

Maybe one is just smoother or feels different without there actually being a difference.

Hardlyrob
04-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Try swapping the wheels. You should be able to set up a gear on the 7 speed that will align fairly well with the STI. (consider it a short term fixie)

Wheels can make all the difference in the world in how a bike handles and feels.

I bet it's the wheels vs. geo or anything else.

Cheers!

Rob

RIHans
04-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Back in the day, a National Team Guy I knew told me there were a couple of ways to get faster...Train harder, get some race wheels...or both!