PDA

View Full Version : OT: Portland, I am coming to see you

sbornia
04-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Hey there Portland crew,

I'll be coming up your way with my girlfriend soon, probably the second week in May for a few days, then on to Bend. I've read your hotel recommendations in the forum's archives, and see that Hotel Deluxe, Jupiter Hotel, and Vintage Plaza all get thumbs up to varying degrees. I also found the "Inn at Northrup Station" in a guidebook, which looks pretty cool.

What can you tell me about the different neighborhoods these places are in? Are some busier, more fun, etc etc. than others?

I'm probably going to bring my bike, too, so if anyone's up for a quick mid-week ride, let me know.

72gmc
04-18-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm Seattle crew but I spent last weekend in Portland on a little getaway with my wife. Stayed at the Hotel Deluxe, and it was great. It's west of the freeway, in a business district, but we thought it was a quiet area. Five blocks west: PGE Park and the edge of the Nob Hill area. Walk down 21st, lose your wife in the boutiques, get halibut at the Wildwood. Across the freeway east: turn left on 13th, cross Burnside and enter the Pearl District. Once again, say goodbye to the wife for a while.

Most of my family has lived in the Portland area for most of my life. I find the city more interesting now than I ever did before.

Oh, and on my way up to PGE Park I passed by a closed-up shop (it was Saturday) that had a Porsche 356, a Porsche 962, and a bunch of vintage bikes. Hello!

sbornia
04-19-2007, 11:44 AM
bump.

Thanks 72gmc. Any other thoughts from PDXers? I know you are out there...

Serotta_James
04-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Don't plan on sleeping much if you stay at the Jupiter.
The Doug Fir is a rad club/bar, though...

duke
04-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Check out River City Bicycles on MLK in the SouthEast. I also second the recommendation for the Hotel Vintage Plaza and Wildwood.
duke

andy mac
04-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Hotel Lucia in downtown is pretty cool for PDX and in the middle of the action*

it's a pretty small city so nothing's ever too far.

*portland action

:beer:

Ozz
04-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Hotel Vintage Plaza is nice...it is right downtown / business district.

For fine eats..."Paley's Place" is great, but pricey. Lots of other great restaurants nearby.

If you like Greek, "Alexis" is good, close-by and fun. Don't stir the coffee. ;)

IXXI
04-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Check out this thread from a few weeks ago: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=26675

I still think the DeLuxe is pretty swank (see if you can get a corner room), and as Serotta James intimated, the Jupiter is a whole other deal. Depends what you and the girlfriend are into.... *do* check out Doug Fir (the restaurant and club next to the Jupiter and *do* order the Fir Burger just because), but I no stayee at the Jupiter. I did once and don't recommend.

72gmc
04-20-2007, 11:49 AM
One add... Mother's for breakfast, down in the business district. Very popular, to the tune of a 30-minute wait for a table at 9:30 Saturday morning, but the food was quite good and the table service was very friendly despite the crush.