PDA

View Full Version : Right shifter rebuild?

sbornia
04-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Ciao tutti -

My right-side Record Ergo lever is acting up, and I'm not sure if it just needs a new cable, some replacement parts, or a more extensive rebuild. The indexing is essentially gone for shifts to lower gears (bigger cogs) -- it feels soft, like a friction shifter, from what I remember of them. Shifts to higher gears still have an audible click and tangible detent. It still holds all gears fine, but something's definitely not right. FWIW, it has about 8,000 miles on it.

I can replace the cable myself, but if it needs more servicing will have to take or send it somewhere. What do you think?

Thanks,
Steven

SPOKE
04-17-2007, 12:17 AM
my bet is that one of the "G" springs is broken and or the spring carrier has cracked (if it's an older model shifter from before about 2004). "G" spring replacement is pretty easy but can be tricky if you really don't like working with some small parts that need to be re-assembled in a certain order as well as timing the watch spring. if you were in my area i'd be happy to take care of the rebuild but you'd be better served by finding a LBS that will take on the task.
most shops will quote a price to you if they have done a couple of the rebuilds. if they aren't experienced then i'd find another shop.

vaxn8r
04-17-2007, 01:55 AM
+1 It's the spring. Not an expensive repair and pretty quick if they have parts on hand.

R2D2
04-17-2007, 05:06 AM
Not to difficult. Probably a broken g spring.
If it's an older model the carrier may be cracked as it was aluminum then.
It has been upgraded to carbon fiber in later models.
It's fairly easy to do if you have some mechanical skills.
Winding the last spring is a little tricky.

Too Tall
04-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Send it to:
FATCAT Bicycles
702 Lucerne Ave
Lake Worth Fl 33460

They do good work FAST!

zank
04-17-2007, 07:55 AM
I just rebuilt my right Ergopower and installed new cables. I forgot how nice they feel when they are new (or like-new in this case). Go for the rebuild!

sbornia
04-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks all, I will try to find someone local to replace the spring.

zank
04-17-2007, 09:19 AM
check out these videos to see how it is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t0ttU_Jm0Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSAnAmBXYSY