PDA

View Full Version : How Much Does a 100ft Wheelie Cost?

dirtdigger88
04-16-2007, 08:21 PM
when you cant unclip afterwards and land on your @ss?

one NOS 9 speed brifter severly rashed up

one pair of shorts slightly vented

a seriously sore tailbone and shoulder blade

was it worth it-

h*ll yeah!!!

next time Im wearing my vans

Jason

Louis
04-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Bummer.

Jason, FYI, roadies don't do that kind of thing. BMXers and MTBers, yes, roadies, :no:

H.Frank Beshear
04-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Rules Louis? We don't need no steenkin rules :p . Jason that wasn't one of the Team issue brifters was it? Wheelies on the Hors or the Csi? Vans are defiantly a good idea. Wish I'd been there to see it.

dirtdigger88
04-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Hors - yes

Team Issue- yes

the CSi is hard to find the balance point for long wheelies

the Kirks easy to pop up - but it has too much weight up high with the fenders and saddle bag on- so long wheelies are a little harder on it- but still possible

Endos are very easy though- Neo Retros rule . . .

no- the Hors has that sweet low center of gravity that makes wheelies fun-

Ive had 100 ft marked out for a month or so-

but Ive gotta remember the vans-----

no rules Louis . . .

Jason

David Kirk
04-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Manuals rule. Float on brother Dirt.

Dave

stackie
04-17-2007, 12:55 AM
Actually, a friend of mine who used to race cat 1 tells a story of meeting a young surfer type in San Diego who asked if he could ride sometime with him and his buddy. They agreed, thinking they'd have some fun with him. He shows up with a corncob on the rear wheel. They chuckle and take him to Mt. Palomar. He hangs with them all the way there, but as they begin to climb, he apparently drops back. They're getting in the groove a little. Finally, they decide to look back and see if there is any sign of their "chump". He's about 10 lengths back, popping wheelies going up the mountain. They wave him up, so he drops the front wheel and effortlessly rides up to them. They tell him that he needs to talk to their team director.

His name is Chris Horner.

Good on ya, Dirt

Jon

Spinner
04-17-2007, 07:18 AM
wheelies are indeed a part of the road experience, if you can do them. jason is a wheelie master.

aside from wheel pops and bunny hops, what are some other adventurous moves made by forum members on the road?

Too Tall
04-17-2007, 07:24 AM
Goofball ;)

dirtdigger88
04-17-2007, 07:31 AM
what are some other adventurous moves made by forum members on the road?

I can do a smooth endo to a 180 tail whip and ride out of it

no handed- while standing

track stand til Im bored- sitting, standing, no handed-- what ever

sit on my handlebars and ride backwards (fenders do get in the way here)

and shhhhh . . . but Ive been known to ride my bikes at a local BMX dirt jump track- I dont get the "air" that the bmx'rs do - but I get respect from them anyway- Ive seen jimi do it too

yes. . . I know Im weird

Jason

William
04-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Just keep practicing and eat your Wheelies!

http://www.brownmotorworks.net/images/wheelies_bmw.jpg

You'll get better....

http://www.elitefts.com/images/PICTURES/Conditioning-Pics/Popping%20Wheelies.jpg

William ;)

Kevan
04-17-2007, 08:59 AM
but I have a high regard for gravity.

tch
04-17-2007, 09:11 AM
but I have a high regard for gravity.
It's not gravity that's the issue. I have a high regard for the effects of pavement.

Brian Smith
04-17-2007, 03:33 PM
w
next time Im wearing my vans

Jason

Careful -
Next you might be choosing your clipless pedals for their platform size and relocating the shifters off the handlebars....thereby hedging against such fun becoming so expensive.

dirtdigger88
04-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Careful -
Next you might be choosing your clipless pedals for their platform size and relocating the shifters off the handlebars.....

so you mean like when I went from speedplays to shimano and DT shifters

Jason

jthurow
04-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Pesonally... I dig the endo to a 180 tail whip more than the wheelie but 100ft... not bad even if it cost ya' a little road rash. :rolleyes:
I love the look on people faces when Jason does this stuff on his road bike. :eek:

jimi

mike p
04-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Jason,
Don't you have a clunker you can do wheelies on? I don't you scratching up any good DA stems!

Mike

andy mac
04-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Bummer.

Jason, FYI, roadies don't do that kind of thing. BMXers and MTBers, yes, roadies, :no:

unless you are a TDF green jersey winner... :beer:

i have four or five recurring dreams and one is that i can pull a perfect wheelie for 100 meters or so. sadly that ain't the case.

shoe
04-18-2007, 11:25 PM
jason we could have a wheelie contest if we ever end up at the same ride...in my mind i am way into them..only i don't know how to do em. practicing on the mtb first...baby steps ya know....i think the trick is to have the handle bars flipped with a six pack hangin on the top tube maybe couple of missing teeth and definitely no drivers license .. (if this describes anyone here i apologize now since i am making fun of you)......dave