PDA

View Full Version : Question on the new Mavic WINTECH Wireless Computer?

Spectrum Bob
12-24-2003, 08:05 AM
Question on the new Mavic WINTECH Wireless Computer?

Can anyone provide any feedback on this new product? I am considering trying it, it seams like an elegant solution. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays

Spectrum Bob
:bike:

dnovo
12-24-2003, 08:21 AM
I saw one, sans cadence unit, at Alberto's this weekend. Looked neat and elegant. Going to give it a try when he gets one in with the cadence, although buying version "1.0" of any piece of gear always makes me nervous. Dave N.

Bruce K
12-24-2003, 08:33 AM
Bob;

Give me a week or two and I'll post something here.

My LBS is finishing up the installation on my TT bike today. AS long as we don't get any snow around here (Boston) any time soon, I'll make it a point to take the bike out and see how the Win-tech behaves off the trainer.

So far I can tell you installing the magnet on non-spoke wheels has not been the easiest and the fact that the computer head/screen is designed to mount on the stem has proved a bit of a challenge for my guy as we are mounting this on an aerobar system (HED one piece carbon aerobars).

BK

Blastinbob
12-24-2003, 08:59 AM
Bob,

the wintech works as good as any other computer i've tried. I have it mounted on my bike along with an ergobrain, that will be swapped after the holiday. It does mount on the stem so you have to look a little closer to you body to read, I like that the ergobrain sits out in front of the bars.

The readout changes a little slower than the ergo and is almost as accurate, you can't put the exact tire size in the wintech like you can with the other computers I have. You have to round the measurement up or down, but it's only off by a /10th half of the time.

The functions are very simple to cycle thru and setup is a breeze !

Blastinbob

Serotta PETE
12-24-2003, 09:16 AM
Bruce..............with the way you'al are doing with snow in Boston, you better send the bike down here and i will try for you....

Have a great holiday. PETE

Bruce K
12-24-2003, 01:20 PM
Pete;

We'll be in the Fort Worth area over the MLK weekend visiting my Dad.

The trip got shortened so no riding (sorry Bill B).

Please re-e-mail me your phone numbers and we'll see if we can at least hook up for a meal.

BK

Blastinbob
12-24-2003, 03:13 PM
Mounted on a 110 stem .

Blastinbob
12-24-2003, 03:16 PM

eddief
12-24-2003, 04:10 PM
The magnet in the skewer is a nice cosmetic touch. But based on the photo... I am used to/prefer the looks better of a bar mount over a stem mount for the head end.

dnovo
12-24-2003, 06:45 PM
Thanks, blastinbob, based on your report, I took the leap and bought the last one I could find. It sure makes for a FAR neater installation than anything else I have tried.

Do you have the cadence unit? The dealer who had this one is backordered on them, I can't find one, and wonder how that has worked for you if you have one? Dave N. (and anyone know if any dealers, on lines, etc has units in stock?)

Blastinbob
12-24-2003, 10:48 PM
Dave,

I didn't buy the cadence. I almost never use that function on my ergobrain so I didn't have any use for it.

Bob

dnovo
12-24-2003, 10:54 PM
Thanks. Dave

Bruce K
12-25-2003, 09:20 AM
Dave;

I have the cadence unit. Will fill you in next week.

BK

PS - You might try Excel Sports on line for the cadence unit. My LBS told me the computer and cadence unit are both in short supplt right now. Apparently demand exceeded initial expectations

dnovo
12-25-2003, 09:21 AM
Thanks. Excel is out too. Dave

Spectrum Bob
12-25-2003, 03:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to get one as soon as I can find one.

But where?

Spectrum Bob

Spectrum Bob
02-20-2004, 02:44 PM
dnovo, Bruce K and Blastinbob

Any additional feedback on the Wintech now that you all have had a chance to use it for a while?

I still haven’t picked one up but am really getting ready to.

Spectrum Bob

mavic1010
02-20-2004, 02:47 PM
i've had it for awhile and it works just fine. Only negative thing is the size of the unit. I just ordered the cadence kit.

Bruce K
02-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Bob;

My Wintech is on my TT bike. So far I can report that the cadence feature works great in my trainer. It will be a few more weeks before that one gets out on the road for training rides.

The unit is easy to read, easy to use, and easy to program.

Some people think the quick release looks clunky but it doesn't bother me compared to stuff on the fork that can get knocked out of whack.

I hope that helps.

BK