PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Tubeless

Ti-Boy
04-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Anyone else intrigued enough to purchase the new Shimano tubeless wheelset? I went tubeless on my mountain bike years ago, but not sure of the benefits on the road.

torquer
04-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Anyone else intrigued enough to purchase the new Shimano tubeless wheelset? I went tubeless on my mountain bike years ago, but not sure of the benefits on the road.
What's keeping me from buying is that they are 10-speed only, so I'd need to spent another several benjamins for new brifters, cassettes & chain, and that would be for only one bike!
And, the cassettes would have to be Shimano, since AFAIK SRAM cassettes won't fit on Shimano 10 speed carriers.
Those quibbles aside, it seems to be the nicest set of clinchers balancing weight, aerodynamics and price; the tubeless stuff is icing on the cake.
Can't wait for more tire choices, though.

CalfeeFly
04-16-2007, 01:20 PM
They got a great review on Roadbikerider.com It may still be up to view.

obtuse
04-16-2007, 07:57 PM
just got a pair. i'll let you guys know.

obtuse

Jeff N.
04-16-2007, 08:01 PM
I've got some 7801SL's on my Holland Exogrid. Good 'ol E-Bay. Slightly used,and I got a heckuva deal on 'em. Love 'em. But they've got clincher tires on 'em (Michelin P2R's). Jeff N.

Random
04-17-2007, 01:00 AM
Been riding the wheels for 7500 miles and the tires for 1200 miles.

I love the wheels. They are strong, smooth, and aggressive. Very crisp and agile feeling. They aren't as stiff as the DA 7700s, but they are just as sturdy. The braking surface seems to mate well with DA pads.

Tubed tires are tight going on, but not a problem. The tubless tires are a marvel. I found they went on quite easily. Just moisten the beads and pump them up. I added a bit of Stans for puncture protection.

I usually ride Veloflex or Vittoria open corsas, so I am spoiled by the nimble, crisp feel of high TPI casings. The Hutchinsons don't have that luxurious feel, but they are very nice. They feel fast but phat, round and smooth but not as nimble as the open corsas. Still they corner great and stick to the road regardless.

I rode the Fusion 2s, the heavier models, and they only lasted 1100 miles before the casing was exposed. No cuts, no punctures, just casing.

So net net; the ride is great, the wheels strong and comfortable, the tires wore well but wore out too soon, and there is the psychological advantage of knowing the tires will not pop off the rim in a blow out and that you can actually ride a bit on them when flat. I hope I never test either scenario though.

I like the set up and look forward to more tire choices.

oldguy00
04-17-2007, 08:50 AM
I've got some 7801SL's on my Holland Exogrid. Good 'ol E-Bay. Slightly used,and I got a heckuva deal on 'em. Love 'em. But they've got clincher tires on 'em (Michelin P2R's). Jeff N.

I have a set forsale in the classifieds!

As the others have said, they are extremely smooth riding wheels. I too have not used Tubeless, mine have Vittori CX tires, and ride terrific. I'm switching to Campy which is my only reason for selling.