PDA

View Full Version : Moser was smoooth

jthurow
04-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Belgium Knee Warmers (http://belgiumkneewarmers.blogspot.com/index.html) has to be one of my fav blogs. Here's a post (http://belgiumkneewarmers.blogspot.com/2007/04/sunday-in-hell.html) with a clip from Sunday in Hell that shows (about 1/2 way through) Moser bridging up to the break. Even over the cobbles, he looks so good on the bike and his cadence is so smooth... He makes it look effortless. dig it...

jimi

don'TreadOnMe
04-16-2007, 01:22 PM
If I'm watching "A Sunday In H3ll" while on the rollers, I can't wait to see Moser hammering in that section.
OM fricken' G.

Brian Smith
04-16-2007, 05:48 PM
I can't get the blogged video to work well right now, but that's one of my favorite shots of the entire film.
Not only is Moser so smooth through there, but how in the world does he
bridge that definitive gap with such few pedal strokes?

For the last ride, the last competition my shop put on, we had a live cellist playing that music while people were kitting up. People were unbelievably pumped up!

stevep
04-16-2007, 06:32 PM
moser today stops the show when he walks through.
he looks like a movie star/

saab2000
04-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Those films from the 70s are classics. I also love "Stars and Watercarriers" and "The Greatest Show on Earth", both about the Giro. There is also some terrific footage in those, including some very early Moser, in about 73 or so. He had an incredible career and from what I understand if he could he would still be racing, such is his passion for the sport.

zeroking17
04-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the link to that blogissimo.

I agree with all of you wrt Moser's style. He ages well.

edouard
04-16-2007, 08:19 PM
cool _ thanks!

edouard
04-16-2007, 08:34 PM
!! the rod (bolt?) he sends thru the drop-out's cut-outs
so he can clean his chain !!

soulspinner
04-17-2007, 05:21 AM

Man, he looks the same from the neck down!

David Kirk
04-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Can't help but to notice that the big man is sporty Shimano.

He's a beautiful rider.

Dave

max_powers
04-17-2007, 11:12 AM
yes great photo,
and like a true Euro Hero, no helmet

BdaGhisallo
04-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Yep,

Moser made a big stink in Italy during the middle of his career when he and his team signed to use those wierd japanese parts with Shimano written on them. They didn't seem to slow him down one bit. He did move his team back to Campy after a few seasons with the Shimano, but it is interesting to note that he uses Shimano on his personal steed.

Freddy Maertens and his Flandria team were another lot to use Shimano back in the 70s. Freddy's fracas with Merckx in the WChamps at Barcelona back in 1973 ( if I recall correctly) was thought by some to be based on that fact. Some felt that shimano paid to have Freddy work to Eddy's, and Campy's, detriment, by not helping him to win.

William
04-18-2007, 08:08 AM

Hey!! Where's "M"'s helmet???? :confused:

;)

Thanks for the links folks. :cool:

William

fiamme red
04-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Freddy Maertens and his Flandria team were another lot to use Shimano back in the 70s. Freddy's fracas with Merckx in the WChamps at Barcelona back in 1973 ( if I recall correctly) was thought by some to be based on that fact. Some felt that shimano paid to have Freddy work to Eddy's, and Campy's, detriment, by not helping him to win.But Gimondi, who won, was also using Campagnolo. I think the conspiracy allegations came from Maertens, who said that Merckx didn't want a Shimano-equipped rider to win, so he let Gimondi win rather than his Belgian teammate.

Here's one perspective on the finish:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/letters/?id=2004/nov19letters#Merckx.