PDA

View Full Version : Broken hip

Elefantino
04-15-2007, 09:29 PM
My friend Art was riding home from our morning ride yesterday, turned right into his subdivision, hit a gravel patch and went down. Broke his hip; a clean break just below the socket. A surgery and three titanium screws later he's on the shelf for four to six months.

While we both feel bad that we therefore won't be going to RAGBRAI this year (and I bought non-refundable tix; I'll just use 'em next year!), I also feel bad because he was so excited in the last few days about the riding "season." He just bought a new bike; we both took Friday off and went to a 40% off sale at a LBS and spent way too much on accessories and clothing. We were getting ready for TOSRV next weekend. And a number of road trips after that, before RAGBRAI. Then more trips, and Six Gap. And he lay there, feeling this huge letdown.

He also obsessed about the bad scratches on his right STI and the torn Castelli jersey. And he says he wants to do an endorsement because, somehow, his Voler bib shorts didn't rip.

We're a tightly-knit bunch, we cyclists. Weird, but tightly-knit.

soulspinner
04-16-2007, 05:59 AM
Sorry about your bud. I had 4 pins in a hip after surgery. Early on I responded best to swimming. 3 months and I was good to go.Hope you follow thru with YOUR season anyway.

rwsaunders
04-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Tell Art to listen to the docs, as hip surgery recovery needs to be regimented in order to be successful. The scratched STI shifter would bother me too. Perhaps you can order a replacement as a get well gift.

RABikes2
04-16-2007, 07:10 AM
Sorry about Art; hope he keeps active (and a positive attitude) during the healing process. Is this one of your A-Team buddies?

So will we be seeing you on TOSRV next weekend, Mike?

RA

LegendRider
04-16-2007, 07:14 AM
Four to six months sounds long. I broke my hip and was on the trainer (very lightly) within three weeks. I was riding after six weeks.

Set up your friend's bike on a trainer and encourage him to get on it as soon as reasonably possible to work on range of motion (not resistance).

Elefantino
04-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Sorry about Art; hope he keeps active (and a positive attitude) during the healing process. Is this one of your A-Team buddies?

So will we be seeing you on TOSRV next weekend, Mike?

RA

Yep, A Team Art. And I'll be there!

ada@prorider.or
04-16-2007, 10:45 AM
broke my hip also
it s was the end of my tri career

larryfhs
04-16-2007, 12:27 PM
That may be too conservative a prognosis for a clean break. My physical therapist put me on a stationary bike as soon as I was off crutches, and I went back to road riding exactly two months after my accident. It took longer to get back to normal walking, especially on pavement.