PDA

View Full Version : Riding Clothes, 30-50 degrees

rpm
04-14-2007, 12:45 PM
In my neighborhood today, the ride started at 30 degrees F and ended at 50, partly cloudy, wind 10 mph. I'm finding it hard to get all the layers right and not carry too many of them. So, head to toe, what do you wear on spring rides like this?

regularguy412
04-14-2007, 01:03 PM
So it took me a couple of winters ( years ago ) to figure out what works for me. I would have -- booties, wool tights (wind panels in front of legs), short sleeve undershirt ( not cotton ), short sleeve jersey (not cotton ) , arm warmers, long finger gloves, pull-over light jacket (nylon), ear muffs ( the kind that go behind your head ), helmet with Gore-tex cover to keep out wind, etc.

I found that if I can keep my hands, feet and head warm,, the rest of me is pretty warm. The jacket can be taken off and rolled up - stuffed into a jersey pocket. the arm warmers can come down, if necessary. I like to keep my legs/ knees protected, so the tights can stay on. The shirt(s) can be unzipped for added ventilation.

You really just have to experiment with what works for you. My cut off temp for wearing shorts only ( no booties or tights) is 60 degrees. If it's 55 or so, I put on booties and arm warmers with shorts , one shirt and arm warmers. Below 55,,I start putting on more clothing.

Mike in AR

oldmill
04-14-2007, 02:29 PM
I love wool, but when the temps get down into the 40s and 30s, a wind-blocking synthic outer layer really helps. Marmot makes a superb nylon jacket with a thin-fleece lining. It's not a bike jacket per se, but I have used it in temps well down into the 20s for running and cycling and it works. A base layer or two of good wool (I like Ibex best: for sheer quality of construction and comfort, no other biking jerseys come close except Rapha, and that's a lot less wool and a lot more money. Not that that's stopped me from getting a couple of their shirts as well).

rwsaunders
04-14-2007, 03:44 PM
I bought a PI Vector jersey ($80 on sale at www.coloradocyclist.com) about 2 years ago and it's good from 50 deg on down. There's a windproof barrier in the front chest, shoulder and arm areas with zippered vents on the side. The rest of the garment is made of PI's heavier Kodiak material, in red, blue or yellow I believe.

I wear it over a short sleeve or long sleeve baselayer depending on the temp. I'll sometimes use a vest over it from 40 deg on down. This garment has allowed me to shed the five layers that I used to wear on colder rides.

PI also has some great fleece bibs which are usually priced at about $80 too. They're comfortable up to about 50 degrees or so. Knickers after that.

Try www.pearlizumi.com for other garments as well. Does this sound like the Specialized thread?

PBWrench
04-14-2007, 04:29 PM
RPM, a bunch of us are riding the Aluminum Man(50 + mile TCBC ride) from Ramsey Beach at White Bear Lake, 11 am on Sunday. I'll incorporate ALL of the advice and be wearing 50 layers and riding a red/yellow Legend.Rubber side down!

bironi
04-14-2007, 05:36 PM
It's a tough call, and a compromise to go out in this range of conditions. All I know, is that as spring approaches, I get lazy on the selection, or more optimistic. I'm more willing to take the roll of the dice, and suffer when they come down on my wishes. Take it all, take a little, or somewhere between, but get out and ride. :beer:

rwsaunders
04-14-2007, 07:23 PM
As long as the roads are dry, cold weather riding can be fun if you have the gear. Try fitting in a coffee shop stop somewhere along the ride to break things up a bit too. We live in the Northeast, so it's either fight the weather or go along for the proverbial ride.

Grant McLean
04-14-2007, 07:31 PM
I bought a PI Vector jersey ($80 on sale if you look around) about 2 years ago and it's good from 50 deg on down. There's a windproof barrier in the front chest, shoulder and arm areas with zippered vents on the side. The rest of the garment is made of PI's heavier Kodiak material, in red, blue or yellow I believe.

I wear it over a short sleeve or long sleeve baselayer depending on the temp. I'll sometimes use a vest over it from 40 deg on down. This garment has allowed me to shed the five layers that I used to wear on colder rides.

PI also has some great fleece bibs which are usually priced at about $80 too. They're comfortable up to about 50 degrees or so. Knickers after that.

+1

The Pi "barrier jacket" is also great, but isn't stretchy like the Vector.
I never wear a shell, except for a vest. They're flappy, and don't breath
enough when you're completely covered in shell fabric. I love the fleecy
base layer bonded to the outer layer, that way it fits tight, doesn't flap,
and the open back lets vapor out.

The new Pi pieces made from "thermal weight microsensor" are awesome.
I've got the new bib knickers, and the Long sleeve thermal mico jersey.
That stuff is the bomb.

I rode 5 hours today in the Vector jacket and bib knickers and shoe covers
at 45-50 degrees. My base layer was still dry when i got home.

g

vaxn8r
04-14-2007, 09:30 PM
I've stayed away from PI for a few years but I picked up one of those micro sensor LS jerseys and it's a nice piece.

It's hard to give a single answer in a question like this. I rarely get very cold on a bike but I HATE getting too hot. If I'm warm in the first mile the ride is going to suck. Better to freeze for the first 15 minutes until you get your body heat up. Still cold? Ride harder.

Tom
04-15-2007, 03:59 AM
My aerodynamics stink and adding a sail to them makes it way worse.

If it's raining or snowing, I wear a heavier jacket with a polypro shirt on underneath, light or midweight and if it's really cold a heavier fleece shirt.

If it's dry I bag the jacket and wear this jersey I got that has like terry cloth loops on the inside, maybe add a silk pullover base layer (poofy, yes, but Karen bought it for me and it really works great - and see, I used the phrase 'base layer' so it isn't completely ridiculous) and whatever type of polypro/fleece I think is necessary. Add arm warmers and I'm good.

Head: Stupid cycling cap with maybe a arm-warmer like skull cap.

Legs: Bib tights or if it is raining Amfib tights.

40 and up? No booties but wool socks. Below 40, booties and wool socks.

Today it was about 40 when I went out, 15-25 mph NW wind, and I was pretty warm except when I went up to Lake Desolation and then turned around and came back down at about 45mph. As soon as I got going again in the valley all was warm.

rpm
04-15-2007, 10:00 AM
RPM, a bunch of us are riding the Aluminum Man(50 + mile TCBC ride) from Ramsey Beach at White Bear Lake, 11 am on Sunday. I'll incorporate ALL of the advice and be wearing 50 layers and riding a red/yellow Legend.Rubber side down!

PB. Not on the Aluminum Man--went out yesterday for about 50, mostly on the Gateway. Next week, in preparation for the Ironman I'm going to go on to Marine, which will get me up to metric century distance and give me a nice hill to climb--I don't know, maybe that's the Zinc Man. My own favorite garment for the cool weather is an old school thick DeMarchi wool jacket that I got from Long's Cycle. It has nylon wind panels on the front and top of the sleeves. It's like the PI vector, only wool. I wish somebody like Rivendell would make a new and stylish version of that, in a couple of different weights.

chuckred
04-15-2007, 12:08 PM
In my neighborhood today, the ride started at 30 degrees F and ended at 50, partly cloudy, wind 10 mph. I'm finding it hard to get all the layers right and not carry too many of them. So, head to toe, what do you wear on spring rides like this?

Kind of a typical day in the spring around here... but it's a DRY cold.

On yesterdays ride, which was similar to what you described (exept about 35 - 50) - elevation range from about 5800 - 8000 feet (implying a long cool descent after a long warm climb)

long sleeve polypro undershirt
Long sleeve, LIGHT jersey
Light windbreaker for descent
short finger gloves for all but the descent - thin long finger gloves for that
shorts
leg warmers
helmet -VERY thin polypro skull cap - not really an insulation layer...
no toe warmers...

Was very comfortable the whole day, except for the sketchy parts through some of the short snow packed sections...

Erik.Lazdins
04-15-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm looking for a pair of tights (bib-style) that shed water better than normal ones.
I had a 2 hour ride in rain, NW winds, and 37 degrees. I was warm in my core but the water and cold started to get to my legs somewhat towards the end of the ride.

Great ride though - I had the roads to myself.

Ken Robb
04-15-2007, 02:08 PM
merino wool jersies alone are amazing for their comfort in a wide range of temps and they are still warm when damp. I combine them with a PI nylon vest and arm and leg warmers for wider temp ranges. I have booties but have yet to weaqr them as I like wool sox.

My Riv WoolyWarm jersies are great but I like Ibex even better as they have zippers rather than buttons. I also like a Northface jacket that is like my PI vest in front and sleeves but has a light stretchy fuzzy back which breathes.

rwsaunders
04-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Erik, try the PI Amfib bib tights. Under $100 in most places this time of year, as they're made for cold and wet conditions.