PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Look

albundy
04-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Just a question.....

I love cycling. It feels like a religion to me. When I bike all my stress and problems go away. But I have a question... Do you think people take cycling too seriously?

I don't wear cyling shorts cuz I feel a bit modest about exposing the family jewels. I don't use a new helmet cuz I don't feel like I've really maximized the use of my old helmet from the 90s. Appearancewise... I don't exactly look like a cyclist except for the cycling jersey I wear...

But in all honesty.... Isn't it about the experience of biking? I know there are obvious advantages about wearing cycling shorts and new aerodynamic helmets... but can't we all enjoy cycling just for the act of cycling and not how you look when cycling?

I pose this question cuz where I'm from it seems to be a big issue. I love my bike and can't wait to get on it again. I wanna do century rides. I wanna travel far with my bike.

If you're serious about biking does it necessarily mean you have to look the look?

Grant McLean
04-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Just a question.....

If you're serious about biking does it necessarily mean you have to look the look?

Just be yourself.

g

albundy
04-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks man. It seems where I'm from people take offense to not looking the look.

Grant McLean
04-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks man. It seems where I'm from people take offense to not looking the look.

That will happen, and they're misguided.
Do what works for you.

g

CNY rider
04-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Where is it that you're from?

You could try living in the middle of nowhere in upstate NY; you can ride alone 99% of the time and not care what anyone thinks.

It's working for me ;)

Louis
04-14-2007, 12:10 PM
As in many things, "The Look" is rooted in function, but sometimes get sidetracked. Shorts do set us folks apart from some other types of cyclists, but they look the way they do because of what they are asked to do. Unless one is a true "iron butt" cycling shorts will work much better than the alternatives...

albundy
04-14-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm from Asia. I don't wanna say exactly where I'm from cuz there might be a member here and I'm using the same handle. People from where I am are a bit thin skinned.

It just bothers me that people here take offense to you just because you don't think the way they think.

I'm not gonna stop cycling just because of them. I'm just curious if there are any people out there that don't take our hobby too seriously. We should be able to laugh at ourselves. We love what we love doing. That's all.

albundy
04-14-2007, 12:25 PM
I got no problem with the shorts. I'm just not ready to wear them yet. I'm a bit shy that way. Hehe. And I don't look down at people who wear them. I even think I'll get around to wearing it when I'm ready. It just bothers me that its such a big deal.

regularguy412
04-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Go ahead and wear the shorts. The saddle pad usually covers any distractions.

Oh ! And if you've been wearing your helmet out in the sun every year for 10 years,, get a new one. The UV is detrimental to the styrofoam. ( That said,, I still wear my '97 model helmet. However, it was stored indoors away from sunlight for 6 years )

Mike in AR

albundy
04-14-2007, 12:42 PM
I got my helmet in 1990. Used it sparingly. Been in my room since. Never been exposed to sunlight. I wanna spend on other stuff for the bike and use up the helmet as much as I can to maximize its usage. Don't race anyway. Just wanna enjoy cycling.

I'm not too particular about image. I wish people here were more open like you guys were.

Ken Robb
04-14-2007, 12:43 PM
FWIW, the less pro" and more "fred-like" I look the more courtesy I get from drivers. I surmise that looking like a "normal" person they assume I'm trying to get from point A to B and maybe can't afford a car.

When I wear roadie duds/lycra I look like a guy out playing with my toy in traffic and maybe impeding it's flow for my recreation.
I know what I think when a skateboarder slows me up. :rolleyes:

albundy
04-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Haha. I used to be a skateboarder.

There's something about cycling now that drives me. The push to go further is such a rush. The drive to be a stronger cyclist. To push yourself to be able to handle steeper inclines and longer distances.... It makes you feel like you're making yourself a better person.

sg8357
04-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Standards change, these guy are looking stylish.

Scott G.
http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/aldoross/pd/FourPlusFours.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Ken Robb
04-14-2007, 03:36 PM
see--nobody honks and gives them the finger--clothes DO matter!

ericspin
04-14-2007, 07:54 PM
There's something about cycling now that drives me. The push to go further is such a rush. The drive to be a stronger cyclist. To push yourself to be able to handle steeper inclines and longer distances.... It makes you feel like you're making yourself a better person.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you got it bad......welcome!

AgilisMerlin
04-14-2007, 08:02 PM
everything pretty much looks the same when you have ridden a couple hours in the slop and rain.

pretty much what i looked like today

rdparadise
04-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Dude. You'll get the butt cushioned and won't expose the family jewels. They are definitely designed for the more modest minded.

Good luck in your travels.

Bob

m_moses
04-15-2007, 10:47 AM
When I lived in the SF Bay Area, my cycling buddies used to talk about someone they called the "anti-cyclist cyclist" who'd show up at all the popular centuries.

Apparently, he tried his best to not look the part of the typical rider. The cool thing was that he could ride everyone off his wheel. :p

JF636
04-15-2007, 02:09 PM
The beauty of cycling is there are so many ways to enjoy it. You can have every exreme from racers to ludites to techno-weight weenies, fixed gears, touring, mountain, etc,etc. None are any more worthy than another...but it seems there are people who take it a little too seriously. The ongoing thread about "comfort" is one that is overthinking the simplicity of cycling in general (imho).

The bicycle is one of the most divine inventions ever concieved, and through refinement over the years has become a very efficient machine. The fact that we can be in motion in the fresh air enjoying scenery and having it be a health benefit is what it is all about. We all enjoy the techno aspects and spending for new parts and so on, but in the end, all cyclist have that love of riding above all else.

albundy
04-16-2007, 05:52 AM
Thanks guys :) I'll definitely look into getting mtb shorts. My *** does hurt after a couple of hours of riding.

I do plan to improve my cycling skills. That way, when those who take it a bit too seriously give me the condescending eye... I can atleast hold my own against them. Hehe. I like that story of the "anti-cyclist cyclist".

I agree about there being so many different kinds of people who like cycling. I have met this one group that doesn't frown down upon your getup. They just like to ride and have invited me to join them. You just can't please everyone... But these guys were cool.

soulspinner
04-16-2007, 06:00 AM
Where is it that you're from?

You could try living in the middle of nowhere in upstate NY; you can ride alone 99% of the time and not care what anyone thinks.

It's working for me ;)

+1