PDA

View Full Version : Corzine: Car + Seatbelt = Bike + Helmet ?

Louis
04-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Why in the world would anyone ride in a car without wearing a seatbelt?

Is this equivalent to cyclists who don't wear a helmet?

Louis

From the NYT:

"Mr. Shea said that Mr. Corzine had worn his seat belt most of the time he was traveling on Thursday, even though friends have long said that they have rarely seen him wear one. But Mr. Shea said that for some reason, he did not appear to wear one when the accident occurred.

“If he was not, he certainly should have been, and we should encourage the state police to issue a citation,” Mr. Shea said.

Asked if the trooper serving as his driver and protector might have tried to persuade the governor to put on his seat belt, Mr. Shea, alluding to the governor’s headstrong nature, said, “Those who know Governor Corzine know that he is not always amenable to suggestions.” "

rwsaunders
04-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Perhaps it wrinkled his Armani.

rounder
04-13-2007, 11:32 PM
is he the nj gov who was just hurt in an accident

David Kirk
04-13-2007, 11:57 PM
Maybe he was too drunk to fasten the belt. if so then we should cut him some slack.

Dave

RIHans
04-14-2007, 01:18 AM
On his way to meet another who needs a helmet...I-Man

MarleyMon
04-14-2007, 08:06 AM
This is a tough crowd.
He was seriously injured and may have trouble walking correctly.

saab2000
04-14-2007, 08:09 AM

Sucks to be him then. Who decided for him to not wear a seatbelt? Not me. I guess the guv himself made that choice.

MarleyMon
04-14-2007, 09:15 AM
His choice certainly. I just think that some of the comments are adding insult to injury.
I think it should be a cautionary tale, not a source of glee.

Here in Indiana it is not required by law that drivers of pick-up trucks wear seat belts,
I think its also true of SUVs, if they have truck plates. I buckle up and its saved me injury twice.
Also, no helmet law for motorcycles, but I wear one on my bike.

Maybe I'm thin skinned, but I hate to see someone get kicked when they're down,
even if they might have taken action to mitigate the damage.

saab2000
04-14-2007, 09:32 AM
I suppose my comments were harsh. But anytime these types of debates come up I am brought back to the idea of personal choice = personal responsibility.

One of the biggest killers and costs to society in this country is smoking. Yet we not only permit it, it is subsidised by the gov't.

If smoking were thought of today and introduced to the general public, it would be banned immediately.

I wish ill and injury to nobody. But living carries risks. We can choose to minimise those risks or not. But either way we deal with the consequences.

It really does suck to get hurt. I don't wish that upon the governor of New Jersey or anyone else for that matter. But the fact is that it is an odd society which gets uptight about something like bike helmets and yet does very little about smoking and obesity, which are far more risky, but being more common are ignored.

Seat belts are a good idea. So is not smoking or being fat. The latest is that there is a gene for being fat. Somehow this gene is evidently less prevelant in other parts of the world. :rolleyes: I digress.

Just my $.02.

A.L.Breguet
04-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Maybe he was too drunk to fasten the belt. if so then we should cut him some slack.

Dave
No, no. You're thinking of the mayor of Jersey City. :banana:

A.L.Breguet
04-14-2007, 11:45 AM
This is a tough crowd.
Yeah, you're right. But I am a cynic. I think he is lucky he is governor. His injuries were potentially life threatening, and I doubt many other Jersey residents would have gotten the level of care he has/is.

MarleyMon
04-14-2007, 12:44 PM
I suppose my comments were harsh. But anytime these types of debates come up I am brought back to the idea of personal choice = personal responsibility.

One of the biggest killers and costs to society in this country is smoking...

I used to smoke and have been, in the past, more overweight than I am now (losing 15 lbs. by 7/01 is my goal). Several years ago I latched onto cycling as a vehicle to take control of these aspects of my life and so far, so good! 4,000 miles last year, no smoking for over 3 years, lowered my LDL, my weight, % body fat, resting HR - hey, personal responsibility works for me!

I found this forum while researching Serotta, after test riding one. I can't really participate in the bike oriented discussions, I just read and learn.
The jokes about the gov. just struck me as piling on, but I've had a couple nasty "I told you so" discussions lately and they just seem unproductive. Guess I'm touchy.

The gov. will have to live with his decision.

A.L. - he is lucky to get the best medical care available, no doubt.

The OP mentioned the legal aspect - possible citation. What should the govt. role be? As I said, "no seatbelt" is not illegal here (in trucks) - though may be soon.
Motorcycle helmet laws? Make sense to me, but I wear a bike helmet without prompting.
Smoking ban? Bloomington has great success with it. Our state legislature is debating a modest ($0.40 - .50) tax increase. That will help discourage young smokers, I think.
Others may see these as unwanted, unnecessary govt. intrusion on personal responsibility.

rwsaunders
04-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Seat belts are the law in NJ, as is the requirement to have your lights on when it's raining. He's the gov right? Ignorance of the law is no excuse from what I recall. I think Lady Di didn't have her seatbelt on as well.

rwsaunders
04-17-2007, 11:08 PM
N.J. Gov.'s SUV Went 91 Mph Before Crash
By ANGELA DELLI SANTI (Associated Press Writer)
From Associated Press
April 17, 2007 10:16 PM EDT
TRENTON, N.J. - The sport utility vehicle carrying Gov. Jon S. Corzine was traveling about 91 mph moments before it crashed, the superintendent of state police said Tuesday.

The governor was critically injured when the vehicle crashed into a guardrail on the Garden State Parkway just north of Atlantic City last week. He apparently was not wearing his seat belt as he rode in the front passenger's seat.

The speed limit along that stretch of the parkway is 65 mph.

The state trooper-driven SUV was in the left lane with its emergency lights flashing when a pickup tried to get out of its way. Instead, it set off a chain reaction that resulted in the crash.

Initial reports of the crash said that the governor's SUV was clipped by a vehicle that swerved to avoid a red pickup truck that officials said was being driven erratically.

Corzine broke his left thigh bone, 11 ribs, collarbone and chest bone. He also fractured a vertebra in his lower back.

He remained in critical but stable condition Tuesday and doctors were assessing when he might be ready to breathe without a ventilator. Spokesman Anthony Coley said Tuesday the governor was showing improvement.

Doctors have said he doesn't have brain damage or paralysis, and is doing well for someone who sustained so many injuries.

The driver, Trooper Robert Rasinski, could be charged if the state police Motor Vehicular Pursuit Review Board determines the crash was preventable, Superintendent of State Police Col. Rick Fuentes said.

Fuentes said speed was a factor in the accident. A black box inside the SUV recorded the speed of the SUV five seconds before the crash. He said the executive protection unit has the discretion to move through traffic by stepping up their speed and using flashing lights when necessary.

"If it's a non-emergency situation, we would ask them to obey the traffic laws and the speed laws in the interest of safety," he said.

Rasinski and an aide to the governor were not seriously hurt. The trooper will remain out of work until he is cleared by a doctor to return, Fuentes said.

The driver of the pickup truck was not charged.

Even with Corzine badly injured, many people are amazed he wouldn't follow the law and buckle up.

"With all due respect to the governor and with complete compassion in mind for the injuries he sustained, he has set a poor example," said David Weinstein, AAA Mid-Atlantic spokesman.

Corzine has been a proponent of seat belt usage. As a U.S. senator in 2001, Corzine proposed having the federal government direct states to pass laws requiring children under age 16 to wear seat belts.

New Jersey law requires drivers and front seat passengers wear a seat belt. Violators face a $46 fine.

There is no timetable for when Corzine may be able to resume governing the state. Sen. President Richard J. Codey is acting governor.

Once Corzine is breathing unassisted, he should be able to speak. That milestone would make it possible for physical therapists to do more to help him regain use of his leg - a process expected to take up to six months.

Corzine, a 60-year-old former investment banker, gave up his seat in the U.S. Senate to become governor in 2006.